Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

4 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Seriously?  People will automatically assume that this show is on Amazon Prime, despite the fact that all materials stated that it's on Netflix?

I am saying if you arn’t already a Sonic fan who is keeping taps on this series and you are just hearing about it; I am thinking of potential new fans who do not know our beloved blue blur and this will be their introduction. Its best to do nothing that could get confused for where to stream a new show. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

No, I don't have to admit that. Because I seriously don't believe it to be the case. Watch as mass confusion does not ensue and people all go straight to Netflix as per the marketing or look it up and see that it's a Netflix exclusive. At an absolute worst, a smattering of parents will get it wrong before being corrected by their kids. Or they'll look it up on Amazon, see that they can't find it and then realise it's on Netflix.

Seriously. Nobody is going to be confused by this. You could probably count on one hand the total number of people who purchase Amazon Prime for this thinking it's on that service.

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.deviantart.com/avi17/art/Why-Xiaolin-Chronicles-Has-New-Voice-Actors-304184202

Actors "of stature" (read: Hollywood Television and Film Stars) could be permitted after being vetted, but forget voice-over talent. Plenty of talented, classically-trained, experienced Canadian voice-actors. There was no quid pro quo.

This is an interesting write up from a while ago that explains how the situation with prime may end up.

Essentially this could be primarily a Canadian cast outside of a rare circumstance.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Literally the first thing I thought of when I heard the name was Transformers Prime. I'm honestly surprised people seem to have immediately jumped to Amazon jokes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm honestly hoping that this won't just be a trainwreck. Also, if we get a cast shakeup again, I am also hoping Mike does not get removed. Man has been killing it as Eggman for like... How many years has it been now?

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you think that the games will tie into this TV series?  Maybe SEGA is changing things with the franchise starting with this series.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Do you think that the games will tie into this TV series?  Maybe SEGA is changing things with the franchise starting with this series.

The series airs in 2022 and the new game is coming out this year. Allegedly. ..hopefully.

39 minutes ago, Razule said:

The series airs in 2022 and the new game is coming out this year. Allegedly. ..hopefully.

I just hope that the new game actually comes out this year.  When they did the 25th anniversary, the game didn't come out until a year after.  Hopefully though, SEGA will take their time with making these games instead of pushing them out like they been doing for the last few years.

• Thumbs Up 1

All this recent voice actor news is making me upset. Like, the most upset I've been in years with regards to anything in this series honestly. I don't know if Colleen not voicing Tails in the show is just for that or an extention of more voice replacements ahead but having to get used to yet another Tails voice is going to be really annoying, even if they're really good. He'll officially have had three different actors voicing him since 2010. 

Meanwhile the ones in Japan have not changed since Adventure 1. I really wish we could just take more cues from how they treat their voice actors.

I can't make any snap judgements since I don't know everything but just hearing that she won't be in the show was kind of enough to set me off a bit. Hearing that right after hearing Roger was leaving as the voice in all of Sonic's media, show or not, felt like a twisting of the knife.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I just hope that the new game actually comes out this year.  When they did the 25th anniversary, the game didn't come out until a year after.  Hopefully though, SEGA will take their time with making these games instead of pushing them out like they been doing for the last few years.

That's the key. Taking their time as opposed to pushing to make a deadline i.e. crunching. Think, with extra time, Forces could have been amazing. But that's an essay for another day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure how likely it is for the next mainline game to come out this year, considering how they announced Forces nearly a year and half before it came out. Not impossible, but if they want a holiday 2021 release I would think they'd have to announce it soonish. Mind you, we might get a Winter Olympics game. With the exception of Rio 2016, all the Mario and Sonic Olympic games come out roughly October/November before the actual Olympics year. Unless Ubisoft or another company has managed to nab the 2022 Winter Olympics licence, I would assume we'd be getting a new Olympics game. (Although saying that, according to Wikipedia, apparently Tokyo 2020 hasn't sold over 1 million units since it hasn't made Wikipedia's best selling Switch games. So, I'm not sure how well Tokyo did.)

As for my thoughts, I mean really it's hard not to go down the fannish path isn't it? Feels like you could do some fun episodes just diving into some of Sonic's earlier continuities. You could make some really fun episode by revisiting Sonic Underground. "I'm a prince in this dimension!? I have a brother and a sister!? I'm in a band trying to save the planet!?!?" Not to mention it seems like a way that you could effectively just retell some game plots. Visit Lost Hex to do Lost World, visit a world under Infinite's thumb for Sonic Forces, a hellscape for Shadow the Hedgehog's game etc. That and the possibility of so many characters to make appearances. I mean for goodness sake, the premise screams for Blaze and the Sol Dimension to show up. 

But yeah, need to temper expectations. It's a CGI show which means limited budget and limited resources. I'm sure that for every universe Sonic discovers, they'll probably be another episode for Sonic to revisit that universe to make the most out of it. And certainly while I'd love for Sonic characters to turn up every episode, I imagine it'll probably be more limiting than what we like. Wouldn't be surprised if they try and avoid groups and we get weird things like Vector turning up without the Chaotix, or maybe just Sally Acorn without the Freedom Fighters. Wouldn't surprise me if like Boom, the core cast is just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, and I'm sure we'll get one original character for the show at least. Not to mention I'm sure Sega has their own mandates.

Hopefully the show will be good. I mean, it has better than Sonic Underground, right? It would be nice to see alot of characters make appareances, Blaze and Silver especially since they've never gotten the chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Silvereyes said:

Not sure how likely it is for the next mainline game to come out this year, considering how they announced Forces nearly a year and half before it came out. Not impossible, but if they want a holiday 2021 release I would think they'd have to announce it soonish.

Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and Lost World were all announced around the middle of the year they came out. Forces (and Mania) was an exception, probably so they'd have something to show for the 25th anniversary party. They could do that this year, but man.. it'd be better be something phenomenal if that's the case.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Unleashed, Colors, Generations, and Lost World were all announced around the middle of the year they came out. Forces (and Mania) was an exception, probably so they'd have something to show for the 25th anniversary party. They could do that this year, but man.. it'd be better be something phenomenal if that's the case.

Huh, for whatever reason I thought there was a lot more waiting time for them. My memory is very hazy though. I guess we'll see what happens. Like I say though, decent chance we'll get an Olympics game this year as well I would think, unless we know someone else got the Winter Olympics licence.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, it's look like another voice actor is probably leaving. The voice actor who voice Amy. If the voice actors of Sonic, Tails, and Amy are leaving. Does this mean that we are actually about to be introduced a new set of voice actors in the TV show?

• Thumbs Up 2

I really hope the lesson that SEGA got from Boom's failure wasn't, "No... the problem was that we weren't different ENOUGH!"

God help me if that's what they got from that. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 3

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I really hope the lesson that SEGA got from Boom's failure wasn't, "No... the problem was that we weren't different ENOUGH!"

God help me if that's what they got from that. 

I hope SEGA didn't get that either.  I'm hoping that in seeing Boom's failure, it was because while the show had great humor, it deviated away from the mainstream Sonic continuity and it didn't have a good balance between drama and humor, mostly focusing on the humor.

• Thumbs Up 2

Boom IMO was the natural evolution to the "comedy era" that was the 2010s, including Pontaff, the voice cast fit in there too, not that I wanted them replaced, especially just now they were getting better. What can I say, I pray they get people who fit in their current direction, whatever that is...

Anyway, it's clear we are in a different era here, who knows what changes may come to the characters as well, I'm thinking "what worked in the past" will stick around, plus new directions, maybe more plot and adventure oriented, more ambitious tone and lore too? Sounds like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Honestly I wouldn't mind a more multi media approach. Games, shows, movies, books, comics specificallyset in this universe. 

I could see them maybe using the next game to kick off the new direction. Would certainly explain why Sonic is on a quest for redemption in Prime. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I wouldn't mind a more multi media approach. Games, shows, movies, books, comics specificallyset in this universe. 

I could see them maybe using the next game to kick off the new direction. Would certainly explain why Sonic is on a quest for redemption in Prime. 

The only problem with them tying things from the games into the TV series is that the viewers would have to play the games to understand exactly what is going on with Sonic's situation.  Unless the TV series explains all that in the first episode or just make it a big mystery element of the series about what Sonic did wrong and building up clues in the series leading up to that revelation. 

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, prettyinplague said:

That's the key. Taking their time as opposed to pushing to make a deadline i.e. crunching. Think, with extra time, Forces could have been amazing. But that's an essay for another day. 

I'm just gonna quote myself from another topic:

Obligatory "Forces took 4 years to make and look how that turned out" comment.

Just saying, all the time in the world doesn't matter if that time is being pissed down the drain like it must have been during that games development.

• Thumbs Up 3

According to this (so I think it's a questionable leak, eat it with salt) show will be about Sonic meeting different versions of himself (and friends), ala Spider-verse.

I do not trust random leaks, but it makes sense from CGi budget perspective. But considering that Satam, Archie, Boom, etc would be hard to make, legal issues AND hard to fill whole season, I expect stuff like Sonic in world of pirates, cyberpunk, superhero, etc. You know, early Archie.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled

• Thumbs Up 1