Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

They way that could work if instead of having just sonic tails knuckles amy and their alts

We could just have prime sonic, alt sonic BUT

The pirate world instead of having Tails knuckles amy as pirates, we instead have Jet wave and storm as pirates

And in another dimension we could have sonic shadow rouge and omega as agents in a terminator esque world

And another sonic and team chaotix as detectives in a 1950s setting.... 

That kind of stuff, it could actually be really fun if we had a character roulette, it doesnt need to be super accurate like maybe team dark are the pirates i dunno lol, but if it is somehing like that.... each episdoe having prime sonic as the main character traveling alone, finds a version of himself and three characters that switch instead of being just knuckles tails and amy for each dimension.... god I would be stoked.

But it could also be just Sonic tails knuckles and amy and their alts which would be the worst case scenario by far.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

According to this (so I think it's a questionable leak, eat it with salt) show will be about Sonic meeting different versions of himself (and friends), ala Spider-verse.

I do not trust random leaks, but it makes sense from CGi budget perspective. But considering that Satam, Archie, Boom, etc would be hard to make, legal issues AND hard to fill whole season, I expect stuff like Sonic in world of pirates, cyberpunk, superhero, etc. You know, early Archie.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled

Satam wouldn't be hard. Wildbrain owns the rights to the series, and SoA have the rights to the Freedom Fighters. The majority of the shows are in the hands of Wildbrain and SEGA.

Its really down to willingness, which makes it even less likely than rights issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So far we only know it’s based on the game side of things. Which makes sense and still plenty to use from.

If they decide to use SatAm at all I’ll be happy. Like even if just Sally shows up that’d be great. That’s primarily who I want and was the second main character anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

According to this (so I think it's a questionable leak, eat it with salt) show will be about Sonic meeting different versions of himself (and friends), ala Spider-verse.

I do not trust random leaks, but it makes sense from CGi budget perspective. But considering that Satam, Archie, Boom, etc would be hard to make, legal issues AND hard to fill whole season, I expect stuff like Sonic in world of pirates, cyberpunk, superhero, etc. You know, early Archie.

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled

fc3904e79b62f02b051e703b7f733f9b--sonic-funny-archie-comics.png.2e2279e8a16964abbfc84cb13565964e.png

A Spiderverse Sonic would be a cool ass movie, but with the limitations of a television series... you kinda spelled it out. We won't have much of the expanded Sonic verse to go into so my enthusiasm lowered. I'm still gonna check it out but oof. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The writers tweets already specify it’s the Sega world that they’re adding to. It’s barely any information but we know Sega world means at the very least the games. How much they use from the games is unknown of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

No he didn't. Time to quote myself from a few pages back.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:12 AM, azoo said:

Just wanted to point out, in case anyone gets too amplified on hype juice, but that tumblr post giving news on Sonic Prime just spun one bit really hard.

image0.png

The above is taken wildly out of context, as that's not what was asked at all. Here's the original post:

image0.png

This tells us basically nothing about the show; whether for or against it being part of the modern Sonic canon. lol Best to assume it's not until you have a reason to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I kinda read that tweet like "we're doing our own thing with Sonic, but we're not taking away from the main thing."

I'd prefer it being based in the games (mostly since the options are kinda thin at this point) but I kinda expect it won't be.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not talking about the top part. He’s asked if they’d do a big universe similar to Ben 10. He replies there already is one. He can’t be referring to anything that doesn’t exist yet.

Of course we don’t know from what angle the story is gonna be told. Nobody is say it’s Modern Sonic’s storyline. It’s some Sonic’s storyline. Probably a new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Not talking about the top part. He’s asked if they’d do a big universe similar to Ben 10. He replies there already is one. He can’t be referring to anything that doesn’t exist yet.

Of course we don’t know from what angle the story is gonna be told. Nobody is say it’s Modern Sonic’s storyline. It’s some Sonic’s storyline. Probably a new one.

The way I read it, the "giant Sonic universe" is just all the Sonic stuff that already exists, games, cartoons, comics, etc, and this show is another thing to add to that big pile. Nothing that implies it's based specifically on the games or any other work.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe I just have a limited imagination, but if it's not based on game Sonic, what else could it be about? High school Sonic?

Oh no!  Not another high school story about Sonic!  We had enough of that in the Archie comics!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I mean I was kinda expecting some alternative Sonic's to show up. Maybe we could see some older incarnations pop up but honestly I'm just interested in seeing what kind of alternative Sonic's they come up with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The way I read it, the "giant Sonic universe" is just all the Sonic stuff that already exists, games, cartoons, comics, etc, and this show is another thing to add to that big pile. Nothing that implies it's based specifically on the games or any other work.

That’s true. It can read like that too.

It’s just given the multiverse direction and saying it’s adding to the Sega world seems like more than another totally separate thing with nothing from the past.

For clarification I’m NOT saying the show is gonna be purely old material coming together and crossing over. What I am saying whoever it focuses on they will encounter old characters and/or places from previous eras to some extent to go along with the new stuff they introduce.

Why do some think this is outlandish? It’s a rational prediction based on the premise and (yes brief) information.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kinda wondering how they're going to stretch this premise to 24 episodes, because it sounds like the sort of thing that would get super repetitive and formulaic after a while. Like, what? Is Sonic just going to traipse between different dimensions all TARDIS style, hyjinks ensue, and we're going to tune in next week for the next adventure?

The other thing is that the idea of seeing "other Sonic's" is kinda vague as it is? Sonic already has a billionty different "worlds" in the form of spinoffs, is it going to involve those? Probably not, can you imagine being Netflix and going in and having to untangle the legal mess that is Archie Sonic just for an episode or two? Apparently I heard somewhere that Wildbrain has the rights to AoStH and SatAM? Somehow I doubt it, SEGA seems pretty keen on keeping all that stuff pretty well buried.

This all comes back to the old problem of multiverse travel not being super exciting when we haven't even established what even the hell is Sonic's setting supposed to be though. Like can we get that show please?

Oh well. Can't wait to see how the inevitable "Evil Sonic" episode goes over wither Penders when that hits.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I was looking at the news release again and had a thought about the two sentences they shared.

The 24-episode animated adventure for kids, families, and long-time fans draws upon the keystones of the brand and features the “Blue Blur” of video game fame in a high-octane adventure where the fate of a strange new multiverse rests in his gloved hands. Sonic’s adventure is about more than a race to save the universe, it’s a journey of self-discovery and redemption. 

Part of me wonders of they could have said "universe," but instead chose to say "multiverse" because Blaze's dimension is involved.

After all, they do say "race to save the universe" in the very next sentence.

Then again, the announcement did say "strange new multiverse," which would imply it's not something Sonic has encountered before. (And, yeah, saving the multiverse would technically include saving the universe.)

• Thumbs Up 1

@Domino, I think you're overestimate how much though they put in each sentence.

This isn't Gravity Falls. Reading between lines won't reveal the return of Mephiles.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thinking of the demographic, heck more just how producers may appear to do their own thing, and there's little chance of the show having other universes from past media. We'll get the obligatory mirror world and others. Maybe at most a few inconsequential 3 second cameos. I can't imagine them animating Scratch and Grounder flopping about.

• Thumbs Up 1

It all sounds like it could be fun and interesting still. Someone mentioned pirates, cyberpunk, and superheroes as though they were a bad thing earlier but I dunno. That sounds pretty awesome to me. It all depends on how it's done. Always has, always will.

I can't see myself being unenthralled until I have some sort of actual thing to critique. 

If this were a game I'd be more open to immediate worry but that's only because anything regarding the games has taught me, over the years, to go in prepared for the worst.

Someone else brought up what I agree to be the actual worst case scenario, which is just having it be Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles with their alts. Hope for the other cast members is pretty dim for me right now but I fully admit to having no real reason to feel that way either. Not entirely at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh no!  Not another high school story about Sonic!  We had enough of that in the Archie comics!

Sonics schoolhouse! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

19 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Okay so then I guess anything's fair game? That could be interesting...

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah, as mentioned a few pages back, this was found on this news site's tumblr page a month or so ago.

Is this legit? As in, has anyone found a source for it anywhere else? Because if it's real, then there's some kind of substantial proof to the argument that it could be a Segasonic canon thing. But I also don't know where I would look to find this, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, azoo said:

So yeah, as mentioned a few pages back, this was found on this news site's tumblr page a month or so ago.

Is this legit? As in, has anyone found a source for it anywhere else? Because if it's real, then there's some kind of substantial proof to the argument that it could be a Segasonic canon thing. But I also don't know where I would look to find this, either.

It's my understanding that this is from a licensing brochure sometime last year. There's not really a 'source' beyond that, because it wasn't really supposed to be seen by anyone outside of those licensing partners. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, that just makes the most sense. Wildbrain's been going out of their way to mention how they're "[drawing] upon the keystones of the brand" and  how "there already is [a Sonic universe]."

After Sonic Boom came and went, SEGA's been far more insistent on keeping things closer to the core series. We didn't get a wild reimagining with the IDW comics and I doubt we're going to get one here. While the Sonic Movie ended up the way it did due to SEGA's lack of contractual power, a licenced TV series would be on a much shorter leash.

If I recall correctly, Mega Man: Fully Charged was only so radically different from its source material because Capcom specifically asked for a wildly different take on the series. If SEGA wants something more faithful, Wildbrain's probably going to oblige.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, azoo said:

Looks legit to me. It much interests me the fact that Classic and Modern use different logos. It basically says that they're different "brands", as is Movie Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 2