Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

23 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's my understanding that this is from a licensing brochure sometime last year. There's not really a 'source' beyond that, because it wasn't really supposed to be seen by anyone outside of those licensing partners. 

If that's the case then that settles it, then.

...Well, that said, it's not actually settled til it's proven lol. But if this is legit then it gives much more credence to the argument that it's game-verse than other things spouted as 'proof' beforehand.

15 minutes ago, Domino said:

If I recall correctly, Mega Man: Fully Charged was only so radically different from its source material because Capcom specifically asked for a wildly different take on the series. If SEGA wants something more faithful, Wildbrain's probably going to oblige.

I'd like to know the source of this as well tbh. 

Yeah, they are. But it does give off the vague sense that they're trying to dispel the idea that this is some kind of crazy new take. But who knows? Maybe it will end up being weird and different. Can't see it being more weird and different than Boom, though.

18 minutes ago, azoo said:

Sorry, Azoo. I can't seem to track down the source for that statement. Maybe I did misremember the whole thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, azoo said:

Did some looking around because me who knows jack about Mega Man also heard of this claim ages ago.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/mega-man-fully-charged-man-of-action-interview/

Some fans have critiqued the new art style for the Mega Man series. How did your team come up with this new look for him?

As with every animated show, the art style went through many iterations before we landed where we did with Mega Man: Fully Charged. Capcom specifically asked us not to just copy what they are doing/have done with the franchise. They wanted a show that stood on its own for a new audience. We get it, it's not the thing someone loved and remembered. Instead, it's a way to expose a character that might otherwise sit on a shelf to someone new. That said, the show is packed to the gills with easter eggs, homages and characters from the games, so there is something for everyone who gives it a shot.

Tell us about the story. Does it stay true to the theme of the Mega Man games? Will we see familiar heroes and villains arise?

Again, Capcom encouraged us to explore new ways to tell Mega Man's story, and we did while keeping certain touchstones from the last 30 years intact. Mega Man is a young hero, just learning the ropes. He's got a family. He fights Robot Masters ... to tell you more would spoil it! We promise that there will be familiar faces, though some of them will appear in very unexpected ways.

What did you think about the feedback from your recent San Diego Comic-Con panel?

We thought it went well! Folks at the panel asked great questions. Some comments online were negative as one would expect, but overwhelmingly we got folks who saw the merits of the show, even if they didn't feel it was for them.

So not necessarily different because Capcom ordered them to do so, but more Capcom encouraged them to go their own different direction.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'd like to see a press release that said, "Nah, they told us to just copy the games verbatum. So that's what we're gonna do. It's gonna be the thing you already love but in episodic form and with its own original story."

That would be kind of funny to me. Advertizing how not different it'll be.

Ironically, they'd end up worrying the least about backlash that way though. They'd still get it in some form or another of course, no matter what kind of show it was but that's just the nature of existiance nowadays.

Also looked up clips of that Mega-Man show.

Yeesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please don't let this have Team Sonic Racing / Boom TV type of writing I want to be engaged with the story this time.

2 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Please don't let this have Team Sonic Racing / Boom TV type of writing I want to be engaged with the story this time.

I have a feeling that they will be focusing more on story than comedy in this series.  That's a big if...

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Did you know...it's possible to engage with a comedy.

Should probably at least take it to dinner first.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 7

9 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Impossible! Comedy can't connect you with characters. That's just wacky talk.  😛

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Impossible! Comedy can't connect you with characters. That's just wacky talk.  😛

Somewhere out there, Disney/Marvel are laughing in billions...

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Somewhere out there, Disney/Marvel are laughing in billions...

On that topic I fucking hate the "Every MCU movie is a comedy" argument with a passion. Humorous moments in a serious story=/=being a comedy.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

On that topic I fucking hate the "Every MCU movie is a comedy" argument with a passion. Humorous moments in a serious story=/=being a comedy.

I agree with this.  I honestly don't know where that sentiment came from that all MCU movies are comedies.  I mean, look at Black Panther, while that movie did have it's comedic moments, I wouldn't categorize that as a comedy and I found it to be a bit darker compared to most of the MCU movies (well, besides Infinity War).

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

On that topic I fucking hate the "Every MCU movie is a comedy" argument with a passion.

That’s actually a thing?

First time I’m hearing about it.

19 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

That’s actually a thing?

First time I’m hearing about it.

I think it started with either the first Iron Man movie or with the first Avengers movie that people started thinking that the MCU movies were mostly comedies.  Sure, there were movies like the "Guardians of the Galaxy" films and the "Spider-Man" films that were driven by comedy, but then you have films like "Infinity War," "Black Panther" and "Captain America: Winter Soldier" that were mostly serious films.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, a lot of that MCU mix-up is a result of people running around with different definitions of theater "comedy".  It is a very wide net which if isn't defined at the start of every discussion could lead to some easy misunderstandings.

Pivoting away from that, I hope the new writers do a good job letting humor in general get back to framing the characters involved. Even little things like Sonic's on-again-off-again relationship with face plants do wonders for humanizing him as a character, while still meeting the chuckle quota.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

To be fair, a lot of that MCU mix-up is a result of people running around with different definitions of theater "comedy".  It is a very wide net which if isn't defined at the start of every discussion could lead to some easy misunderstandings.

Pivoting away from that, I hope the new writers do a good job letting humor in general get back to framing the characters involved. Even little things like Sonic's on-again-off-again relationship with face plants do wonders for humanizing him as a character, while still meeting the chuckle quota.

Face plants?  You mean the times where Sonic fell on his face?

3 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Face plants?  You mean the times where Sonic fell on his face?

Yeah.  Bit of a running gag, but its a good example of how you can integrate comedy into the series in a way that benefits the character.

The simple faceplant shows

a. Sonic isn't above basic fails - he is fallible

b. His quickness to rebound and brush off his ego displays his carefree roll-off-my-back persona

c. Checks the silly slap-stick box for the kiddos 

d. Changes the tone of the scene, whether it be serious or silly

When a writer can integrate comedy into a story in a more natural manner, its better for everyone. Do it enough, and characters won't have to lean on cringe dialog or character quirks that can easily be hit or miss.

Gotta be honest, I never recognised Sonic's face planting as a recurring gag in the series until it was explicitly pointed out to on this board some time within the last decade. It's really not a great example of humour because of how underplayed it is in the series, and how was infrequent attempts at humour of that kind were  pre-Unleashed. Its just too easily missed to the point that it might as well not even be there.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Gotta be honest, I never recognised Sonic's face planting as a recurring gag in the series until it was explicitly pointed out to on this board some time within the last decade. It's really not a great example of humour because of how underplayed it is in the series, and how was infrequent attempts at humour of that kind were  pre-Unleashed. Its just too easily missed to the point that it might as well not even be there.

To be honest, I never noticed about the Sonic face plants in media.  It rarely happens and that's why I kind of forgot about that element to Sonic's character.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

I WISH Sonic was "comedy" like Avengers.

This is where I'm at. I don't mind the characters being jovial or cracking jokes. But sonic's humor most times is either, dumb anime lines that are so cheesey you get a chuckle out of them or self deprecation and meme humor that isn't really that funny at all. 

Having a good balance i think would be good, but that would require a writer who can do character banter and interactions well. Oh they have than his name is Ian Flynn but they wont let him write anything but the comic's.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:22 PM, Blue Blood said:

Its humor in the same way the same way that like Zoro having a really poor sense of direction is humor. Like its not really that funny, very Shonen humor meant to emphasize quirks and add character rather than like actually being that funny. A much like  alot of Shonen humor tends to be funny the more years past and generations are separated from its inception point

On 2/5/2021 at 12:37 AM, StaticMania said:

Oooh good take. 

I mean, I like Alan Denton's writing, but I know that people want a more serious story. I think a story that balances both isn't a bad idea and perfect for the series. 

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It rarely happens and that's why I kind of forgot about that element to Sonic's character.

Spoiler

fp1.jpg.e267da9d76d98aca5659f185610e304b.jpg

224025874_fp2.thumb.jpg.e4d39c234cf9fa3ab79b35f7f8224819.jpg

If it were a snake it would have bit you.

Seriously, it shows up in different mediums. I'm surprised so many people miss that.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Character falls flat on face" is a rather generic gag though and has absolutely no connection to Sonic. It's even inconsequential in all the occasions when it does so up.

So sure, that snake would bite a lot of people. But it's got no fangs or venom, so it's pretty pointless that snake even trying.

• Thumbs Up 2