Jump to content
Wraith

Sonic Prime coming to Netflix in 2022

Recommended Posts

I may very well be beating a dead horse here--I'm certainly not slogging through 22 pages to find out--but hearing about the departure of most voice actors makes me sadder about one proposition for this series.  Namely I and many other people want this to be crossover between versions of Sonic we've already seen; not just alternate versions made up for this show, and a big part of making such a crossover work is bringing back the voices--or if that's not possible, replicating them.  So the fear for me is that this is going to be just a crossover between a bunch of arbitrarily different, made up Sonic universes, and while that won't necessarily make the show suck, I think it'll make its worldbuilding substantially worse compared to if it reuses things that have already been fleshed out over time. 

But more than that, I've had it verified that I just really, really enjoy new iterations of a brand that aren't afraid to go dredging the brand's past, including those parts that many would rather forget, and revisiting parts of that past in fun ways.  I enjoyed it n Batman: The Brave and the Bold, I enjoyed it in the Robot Chicken DC Comics specials, and I enjoyed it in The LEGO Batman Movie.  I understand that for many, that reeks too much of the "meta era" that they're hoping has finally ended, but the thing is, the meta era never really did any similar thing, because while it was willing to reference almost anything for the sake of a laugh, it was also too afraid to retry old ideas it deemed poisonous after they weren't too well-realized the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I made this just for fun. Not sure if it’s ok to post here. I didn’t think it deserves its own topic in Showcase.

31793-CE2-B5-A5-4136-9843-F0-A972-B5-C3-

I know it might not use these versions.

As for voice actors it would be cool to use the same ones but I can accept an impression if it sounds good. The biggest one they should get if they use previous versions is of course Jaleel White. Pretty sure he would agree too. He played Urkel in an episode of the current Scooby Doo series.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

So I made this just for fun. Not sure if it’s ok to post here. I didn’t think it deserves its own topic in Showcase.

31793-CE2-B5-A5-4136-9843-F0-A972-B5-C3-

I know it might not use these versions.

Hey; that’s good!  But what is that lanky, therapod-looking thing after Lumina?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I was thinking some could take a guess. Not too hard to figure out if you really think of it. Green is a hint.

Spoiler

It’s XLR8 from Ben 10. One the aliens he turns into. His ability is super speed so I thought it fit.

89-BB864-A-13-A7-41-D7-9-B0-B-53-E9-C333

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I may very well be beating a dead horse here--I'm certainly not slogging through 22 pages to find out--but hearing about the departure of most voice actors makes me sadder about one proposition for this series.  Namely I and many other people want this to be crossover between versions of Sonic we've already seen; not just alternate versions made up for this show, and a big part of making such a crossover work is bringing back the voices--or if that's not possible, replicating them.  So the fear for me is that this is going to be just a crossover between a bunch of arbitrarily different, made up Sonic universes, and while that won't necessarily make the show suck, I think it'll make its worldbuilding substantially worse compared to if it reuses things that have already been fleshed out over time. 

But more than that, I've had it verified that I just really, really enjoy new iterations of a brand that aren't afraid to go dredging the brand's past, including those parts that many would rather forget, and revisiting parts of that past in fun ways.  I enjoyed it n Batman: The Brave and the Bold, I enjoyed it in the Robot Chicken DC Comics specials, and I enjoyed it in The LEGO Batman Movie.  I understand that for many, that reeks too much of the "meta era" that they're hoping has finally ended, but the thing is, the meta era never really did any similar thing, because while it was willing to reference almost anything for the sake of a laugh, it was also too afraid to retry old ideas it deemed poisonous after they weren't too well-realized the first time.

SEGA has a thing for ignoring or straight up retconning anything that doesn't fit their current vision of what Sonic should be so realistically speaking, the alternate Sonics will be stuff like a Sonic who can't run, a Sonic who's the villain, a Sonic who hates chilli dogs, etc. Expect some small references to other incarnations but not much else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Piko said:

SEGA has a thing for ignoring or straight up retconning anything that doesn't fit their current vision of what Sonic should be so realistically speaking, the alternate Sonics will be stuff like a Sonic who can't run, a Sonic who's the villain, a Sonic who hates chilli dogs, etc. Expect some small references to other incarnations but not much else.

While I agree with these 2 statements I do not think they're that connected. Sure Sega will move on from anything they don't like, but this show, regardless of how dedicated the IP owners are, will have a very difficult time with heavy referencing. It has a demographic that isn't mainly old fans, and has a production team that's new to Sonic entirely, and are likely taking things into their own direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jungle_penguins said:

While I agree with these 2 statements I do not think they're that connected. Sure Sega will move on from anything they don't like, but this show, regardless of how dedicated the IP owners are, will have a very difficult time with heavy referencing. It has a demographic that isn't mainly old fans, and has a production team that's new to Sonic entirely, and are likely taking things into their own direction. 

Bleh.  Once again, fans have the better ideas than official workers for what Sonic should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Playing Knuckles in the movie or in the Sonic Prime series?

Well he says the animated series in the screen grab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a lot of people think they’ll just make new alternate Sonic’s but I could see it being a mix of that AND previous versions.

I understand the feeling is Sega doesn’t like those characters or kids won’t care but why would that matter? It’d be the same difference as introducing any new character to kids. Kids aren’t gonna care or know if they’re from the 90s. They’d be “new” to them regardless. Whether they like them or not would be up to personal opinion.

As for Sega I honestly doubt they really dislike or hate those characters. They just moved on and haven’t used them since. Which sounds like they’re against them but not necessarily. I’d guess they’re probably indifferent.

Say hypothetically Man of Action/WildBrain wanted to include SatAm/AoStH (maybe Underground). Would Sega be that against their appearance when they’d basically be glorified cameos in an otherwise separate storyline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I know a lot of people think they’ll just make new alternate Sonic’s but I could see it being a mix of that AND previous versions.

I understand the feeling is Sega doesn’t like those characters or kids won’t care but why would that matter? It’d be the same difference as introducing any new character to kids. Kids aren’t gonna care or know if they’re from the 90s. They’d be “new” to them regardless. Whether they like them or not would be up to personal opinion.

As for Sega I honestly doubt they really dislike or hate those characters. They just moved on and haven’t used them since. Which sounds like they’re against them but not necessarily. I’d guess they’re probably indifferent.

Say hypothetically Man of Action/WildBrain wanted to include SatAm/AoStH (maybe Underground). Would Sega be that against their appearance when they’d basically be glorified cameos in an otherwise separate storyline?

If I had to guess, SEGA doesn’t so much hate those characters as worry that Penders or maybe even someone else will swoop in with an IP lawsuit.  Such a lawsuit could plague them if they no longer have the paperwork to give them clear rights to things, and I don’t think SEGA would intentionally throw it out, but if they didn’t at all value some things, who knows?  There could be problems.  For example, it is demonstrable that SEGA still owns the name, “Robotnik”, even if it doesn’t get used a lot, but does SEGA own the Milton Knight design of Robotnik?  I’m not sure.  What I do know is that Wildbrain owns the distribution rights to all of the DIC Sonic shows, but whether that allows them to do other things with their contents, I can’t say.

It’s less iffy with things made since 2000, though.   Characters like Cosmo and Sticks were demonstrably created and are still owned by Sonic Team (or at least, were when it still existed), during the 25th anniversary SEGA promoted Modern, Classic, and Boom Sonic, and SEGA had no problem guest-starring some Boom characters in other Sonic properties.  The mobile games already don’t mind crossing canons over.

Also come to think of it, Amy and Charmy both originated in a manga that makes Sonic Underground look faithful in comparison.

So all things considered, I doubt SEGA hates alternate Sonic canons.  They just maybe aren’t in a hurry to bring a lot of stuff back from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t read up on it that much but I think the Ken Penders thing was only about the comic side. I assume as long as the Archie universe is left out it should be ok. Unless I’m missing something. Maybe slightly modifying their look would help too. Like changing a piece of gear or clothing to differentiate them from their 90s design.

Like as far as the cartoon was concerned the FF won. I know Snively was going to become the villain but since it ended (and the comics can’t be used) they could give a different reason for visiting the SatAm universe. Even aging the characters a bit and when they appear it’s during whatever they’re up to now...non-comics related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about the voice cast if Ben Schwartz does end up voicing Sonic in Prime and the games I wonder if that means recording will happen sometime after post production for Sonic 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Thinking about the voice cast if Ben Schwartz does end up voicing Sonic in Prime and the games I wonder if that means recording will happen sometime after post production for Sonic 2?

I doubt that Ben Schwartz would be able to voice Sonic in the games or in Prime because SEGA might have to make some kind of deal with Paramount to allow movie Sonic into their universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't tell me Sega is THIS BAD with their own bloody IPs.

"Um, Paramount sir?? Could we pretty please borrow our own mascot for his own show?"

You know, we always praised that Sega allowed fangames, when Nintendon't, but now I wonder if there are ulterior motives in play. Like incompetence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Thinking about the voice cast if Ben Schwartz does end up voicing Sonic in Prime and the games I wonder if that means recording will happen sometime after post production for Sonic 2?

Ben Schwartz apparently hasn’t been contacted about voicing Sonic in the games. I think it’s safe to assume that if he’s not gonna be in the games, he’s not gonna be in Prime either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Who do you think will be the principle antagonist other than obviously Eggman/ Robotnik? I can see Mecha Sonic emerging. 

...I hope you don't mean a Mecha Sonic like SMBZ Mecha Sonic. There'd be no way in Hell that'd happen.

 

But, to be honest, I don't see any other main villains other than Eggman, at least for the 24 episodes we get. If we end up getting more, we may see someone new. Emphasis on may. That's just my take on things.

Edited by Asin Korber
Forgot to add my answer to Shadow Chaos Control's question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Asin Korber said:

...I hope you don't mean a Mecha Sonic like SMBZ Mecha Sonic. There'd be no way in Hell that'd happen.

 

But, to be honest, I don't see any other main villains other than Eggman, at least for the 24 episodes we get. If we end up getting more, we may see someone new. Emphasis on may. That's just my take on things.

No I mean this Mecha/ Metal Sonic: 

8CCA4D9A-326F-4811-AFBC-91B23D3CB974.thumb.jpeg.20e8f590b6059361867c351ef558bb55.jpeg

125E66B4-1025-40D3-A55A-5DB2380BB314.jpeg.68d863aeaf033e1d2a89dc559dc58f0b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.