Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

I don't love the look of Sonic's shoes and gloves, but don't really dislike them either. They look like they're going to be plot-relevant. From what we've heard, I'm assuming that each episode and/or arc will see Sonic travelling to different universes to repair them, and he'll regularly meet alternative versions of characters. That's fine. The concept art looks bright and colourful, and most importantly to me it's still pretty much using the game designs with just a few plot based changes. Cool.

My personal preference would be for something that's even closer to the games than this. Although honestly Prime doesn't seem a million miles away at this point. We've not got another Boom, SatAM or Underground situation going on here.

• Thumbs Up 5

The vibe I'm getting from the Eggmans is that they're likely the same Eggman pulled from different points in history rather than dimensional counterparts like cavewoman Amy or nine-tailed Tails. It seems to be Eggman as a baby, a kid, a young adult, his present-day self, and an old man - which to me makes more sense if it's different ages for the same person, not "Here's Eggman from the baby dimension" and "Here's Eggman from the senior dimension."

• Thumbs Up 2

Even the alt universe designs are pretty reigned in compared to previous continuities. I think game fans are the last people that have to worry this time.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm gonna theorize that the new metallic gloves and shoes are what allow Sonic to travel to this new "Shadowverse".

I see a lot of changes, but yeah it seems very grounded in the games and what changed is part of a multiverse so it shouldn't be very drastic, I'm gonna have to process all of the new things but that said, I enjoy that we are finally getting whole new ideas after a decade!!

I might be worried yeah, if those versions of Tails and Amy are the only ones/main ones we see in the show, but for some reason I doubt it, I'm not sure how that "Ninetails" works since Tails had 2 since his birth, and Amy in Sticks/Flinstones crossover is something unexpected too. The Eggmen, I like the designs? But most of all is the environment that looks so stunning.

I've seen all of this through Premy's video, I want to point out how he praises Prime for being very far from the "meta-era" he obsesses over so much, yet he doesn't mention the Fornite dance... okay?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

I've seen all of this through Premy's video, I want to point out how he praises Prime for being very far from the "meta-era" he obsesses over so much, yet he doesn't mention the Fornite dance... okay?

Eh, Sonic's been a trend-chasing "cool" mascot since his inception, and this dumb dance is basically the 2020s version of constantly spouting totally radical 90s catchphrases.

It fits the spirit of the character in an odd way.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hope this artist doesn't get in major trouble for this. NDAs suck. Can't post your art publicly for people to see until the marketing comes out. 

Very interesting. I'll need to look at it closer but I am interested in what I see. 

Oh yes,  we get pirate Knuckles. That ll be interesting. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know why y'all are obsessed with the opinions of clickbait youtubers making throwaway content anyway.

What's shown here looks...interesting? I guess the extra Eggmen might be to round out a cast of recurring villains, even if they're all just the same guy? I don't dig Sonic's attire, but everything else is pretty stellar aesthetically. I'd love if the show looked like this.

Thing is, it won't look like that. It's a CG show, might I remind everyone. It's possible these aren't even very representative of the show itself, depending on what point of development this concept art was from. I'd much rather see that storyboard revisionist's actual work, but what's been shown is certainly interesting.

For the discussion of "how far is this from the games"...since Sonic's dimension-hopping, it could be that this is the Sonic from the games. Depending on how detached from everyone else Sonic is, you might just slot it between Forces and the 2022 game.

• Thumbs Up 5

The cgi should look great. Cartoons have much better cgi nowadays. It looks like they gave Sonic fur.

Of course they would not reveal it yet but I had to check for references to SatAm...it’s still possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking great, and this being a multiversal show makes it harder on themselves. They gotta model each environment, and not make it feel dull or cheap, and you bet the budget is going to be strained despite the (maybe?) Netflix show money being put in. Of course, whether or not they'll succeed on that front is unknown, but I have some confidence.

My main problem with the animation studio, and I barely know what I'm taking about, is that I could never shake the feeling of things being "low resolution". It's this studio's CGI work specifically that gives me that feeling, not sure what's going on. Maybe it's universal and I'm only noticing it here.

Like take this Mega Man clip:

• Thumbs Up 1

Fully Charged can't be compared to this, it was CN while this has Netflix budget and a different format for the episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if this was pointed out before, but in the red portal there it's definitely this section of eggmanland:

photo_2021-06-23_12-22-18.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks fine. But since this is concept art, it could very well not been approved. And considering the guy posted online before any official reveal, I assume it wasn't indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posting on/for June 23rd is not a coincidence. Everything here can’t just be unapproved material. It’s too detailed.

Eggmanland in the portal is a great find. I thought it looked familiar.

14 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Posting on/for June 23rd is not a coincidence. Everything here can’t just be unapproved material. It’s too detailed.

Eggmanland in the portal is a great find. I thought it looked familiar.

Don't doubt how detailed concept art gets. Its supposed to invoke the feelings of the final product without necessarily being final. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

The only thing I don't like about this concept art is the shoes. I find them really ugly.

Other than that, though, I really like what I see. The different aged Eggmen isn't the most crazy original idea ever, but I like it, and they all have pretty good designs.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The different aged Eggmen isn't the most crazy original idea ever

Dexter's Laboratory did this before it was cool ages ago xD

• Thumbs Up 5

Gotta agree.  Just a bunch of different Eggmen feels a bit, restrictive for character. Was kind of hoping for more minions like the Archie Egg Bosses. 

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

Dexter's Laboratory did this before it was cool ages ago xD

Oh God. That movie is a trip down memory lane. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't dislike what I'm seeing, think the shoes are way over designed but otherwise, you have my attention.

Also guess we can throw that "Sonic jumps to different continuities" thing out the window. I figured that was never gonna be the case anyway lol

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Oh God. That movie is a trip down memory lane.

I know, right? Just a few days ago I got myself remembering that movie for no reason and thought: Holy shit, Dexter did the multiverse thing in an animation before anyone XD

The shoes look a little off, but otherwise this pretty much what I expected. Its pretty grounded and rooted in the game aesthetic.

I'm...pretty okay with all of this, yeah. The shoes and gloves look dumb and overdesigned compared to the rest of him but that's honestly the only thing I can really criticize. Character designs are otherwise pretty on point, environments feel like they're drawing from the classic games without being entirely derivative of them, various-aged Eggmen and goofily-themed alternate versions of characters is more appealing to me than crossing over with existing continuities like some people were hoping for. If this stuff is accurate to the direction the show's going, I'm interested in seeing more.

Also it's a very minor detail and who knows if it'll make it into the final show in any way, but the orbs in the background are totally a reference to SatAM/AoStH Robotnik's design. And old Eggman's pet clucker might be a reference to SatAM's Cluck, maybe?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Jack-al said:

I'm not sure how that "Ninetails" works since Tails had 2 since his birth,

Look up the concept of Kitsune. Some stories say they start with not many, but gain more tails with age.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Look up the concept of Kitsune. Some stories say they start with not many, but gain more tails with age.

So wait, is this supposed to be adult Tails? It would explain the jacket a bit. 

• Thumbs Up 1