Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

11 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

So wait, is this supposed to be adult Tails? It would explain the jacket a bit. 

Probably not. Tails's (original) design is just inspired by the idea of a kitsune.

Kitsune don't grow a tail except for every thousand years or so. If that is the case the Tails of the regular verse would be like thousands of years old just for having two tails. It more that the "nine tailed fox" is what people traditionally think of with the kitsune (e.g. Pokemon, Naruto) as the stereotypical form and they did a play on that mythology. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Wildcat said:

Posting on/for June 23rd is not a coincidence. Everything here can’t just be unapproved material. It’s too detailed.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, because the concept art just a few minutes ago got taken down off Patrick Horan's artstation: https://www.artstation.com/sfedqw

To me, that sure makes it seem like he wasn't really supposed to post these yet. Whether that has any relevance to them being approved/unapproved material, who knows.

• Thumbs Up 4

Fair enough. 

I guess the only thing we need to guess about is what will Pirate Knuckles look like. I doubt they're going to go deepcut and just have Sinbad show up, so I'm guessing he'll just be your stereotypical pirate captain. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, antinomicTune said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that, because the concept art just a few minutes ago got taken down off Patrick Horan's artstation: https://www.artstation.com/sfedqw

To me, that sure makes it seem like he wasn't really supposed to post these yet. Whether that has any relevance to them being approved/unapproved material, who knows.

That's true. It does make me wonder if there is a reveal today (teaser trailer or whatnot) that is supposed to accompany those images in press release form?

Since it was posted on June 23rd, I wonder if that was the street date for it to be released but it came hours before a proper announcement later today. Since today is the big 30th I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix dropped something. 

• Thumbs Up 3

yeah, i'm down to clown with a lot of this. don't have much to say that hasn't already been said (shoes look overdesigned, everything else looks good) but it's great to see they've learned a lot from the mega man days.

like, this art alone does more with the "eggman taking over the world" concept than forces ever did, lmao

• Thumbs Up 9

10 minutes ago, mitsunari88 said:

That's true. It does make me wonder if there is a reveal today (teaser trailer or whatnot) that is supposed to accompany those images in press release form?

Since it was posted on June 23rd, I wonder if that was the street date for it to be released but it came hours before a proper announcement later today. Since today is the big 30th I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix dropped something. 

It's possible, for sure. If they are posting anything, I'd expect them to post it a bit before the concert today, or just after it. That'll probably be peak 'Sonic hours' for today, social media wise.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Vertical Snoop [D.K.] said:

like, this art alone does more with the "eggman taking over the world" concept than forces ever did, lmao

Tell me about it.

Forces just had bland white buildings and burning wreckage everywhere. Also, sand in locations where there wasn't sand before. How diabolical.

This is a proper Eggman Empire. The statues, the neon lights, the broadcasts of Eggman on gigantic screens mounted on buildings. It's exactly the kind of self-serving ego trip Eggman would create if he were in charge.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1

You know what? I think I'm getting hopeful for this cartoon.

I feared that cartoon will focus on parallel versions of Sonic and Eggman, that world will shrink, play it safe. Like Spider-Verse was amazing, but now I'm a bit sad that Marvel decided that best way to copy success of Spider-Man is to make more Spider-Men. Hence Miles and Gwen are now everywhere.

Confirmation of Tails, Knuckles and Amy is not enough to quell my fears, still waiting for someone less "mainstream" like Blaze or Rouge. BUT.... look at the all those designs. Aren't they feel familiar?

Eggaman city gives me Sonic Satam Robotropolis vibes.
Amy makes me think of Sticks from Boom.
Eggman have designs similar to movie Eggman, Gerald and even EGGETTE.

If this cartoon ends being some insane celebration of whole franchise, well, this might be glorious.

Also.
This is Amy in this cartoon.
This is Alucion, extremely obscure character from Sirene's Sonic Adventure comic that lasted whole 1 issue.

I'm 90% sure it's a coincidence, they aren't THAT similar. But if it was on purpose? Then we're dealing with mad people who are capable of anything, and I mean that in the best way.

• Thumbs Up 3

Regarding these leaks, there is something very important to discuss: this art is most likely under NDA and was accessible only through password for CLIENTS. The member of this community most likely pretended to be client or recruiter to access theses concepts on the artist's website.

Please be aware that this artist's career is probably jeopardized as the result of these actions

• Thumbs Up 4

This was first reported on reddit. So either the OP of the thread or an anonymous source of theirs grabbed the images. Not much can be done now except report things and try to spread awareness that this is technically theft. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda dig the concept art though I am confused on the multi-aged Eggmen? Not totally sure what that's all about but I love Baby Eggman's duckie Egg Mobile.

As for the change to his gloves and shoes. Meh. I get the Shoes are iconic but as long as there's an in story reason like IDK they're how he travels dimensions I don't really mind the change. I'm just glad that's the only major difference to Sonic's design. Honestly I'm loving all the design changes seem to be basically minor or focused exclusively on what ever dimensional theme they're going for.

If 9 tailed Tails is an adult I kinda hope as a casting gag he's voiced by the same guy who voiced Tails on AOSTH.

• Thumbs Up 2

I did grew to expect this'd be nothing much greater than this image.png.577ee8c0a75dfed434dd3a4720f99a43.png

Except that their's likely no equivalent for Sonic himself, which would explain why one Sonic would travel through them to maintain order. Eggman perhaps might be trying for a "It's A Wonderful Life" scenario where Sonic never was and work from there.

Also cool on how EggGramps appears to be driving what appears to be inspired by the Egg Mobile from Sonic 2 2b74d7a9aa4bb155f8a5206e4ede5b7f.png

• Thumbs Up 4

I mean if he really cared he would take the video down regardless of if its out there in the wind. sort of like how game companies tell you not to post game footage till the day of release because some small chain store gave out a few early copies. But like a lot of sonic tubers whatever gets the views in right?

But the show could be good. Ben 10 has had his fair share of animation and tone shifts with his latest reboot being more of a (TTG) version of ben 10.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, phobs said:

Regarding these leaks, there is something very important to discuss: this art is most likely under NDA and was accessible only through password for CLIENTS. The member of this community most likely pretended to be client or recruiter to access theses concepts on the artist's website.

Please be aware that this artist's career is probably jeopardized as the result of these actions.

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

This was first reported on reddit. So either the OP of the thread or an anonymous source of theirs grabbed the images. Not much can be done now except report things and try to spread awareness that this is technically theft. 

I'm going to dispute these claims real quick. While I can't prove it since I at the time saw no reason to record it, I can attest that the direct link I initially used (here: https://sfedqw.artstation.com/projects/Nxzb51, found on Sonic Retro it obvs 404s now) was a public link. No password was required.

This was like 10 hours ago at time of posting, so it's possible that the password was added on later. Regardless, I maintain that it was public at some point.

Edit: See below post by me for actual evidence of what I'm saying here.

The concept art looks great! It looks about what I expected/hoped it would. If this was ready by the Sonic Central, I'm curious why they didn't show off some of this instead of just a background Eggman logo.

Nine-Tails and Sticks-Amy are interesting. It seems like Sonic is going solo, but meeting alternate versions of his friends. Differently aged Eggmen and Eggboy are interesting, one kinda looks like the Jim Carrey version.

If there aren't any alt-Sonics, I hope that was a choice and not something SEGA forbade for whatever reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also the 9 tails thing makes a lot of sense. Tails has a odd history but I recall way back years if not decades ago Tails was supposed to be based on a kitsune and the tails in legend are a age/maturity thing. So at 9 he would be fully grown.

8 minutes ago, antinomicTune said:

I'm going to dispute these claims real quick. While I can't prove it since I at the time saw no reason to record it, I can attest that the direct link I initially used (here: https://sfedqw.artstation.com/projects/Nxzb51, found on Sonic Retro it obvs 404s now) was a public link. No password was required.

This was like 10 hours ago at time of posting, so it's possible that the password was added on later. Regardless, I maintain that it was public at some point.

long as the artist is ok with the leaks being out there its fine (and sega themselves are hardly ones to sue/ chase down fans over nearly anything they post ) but the argument Ive seen on twitter of it was public for a bit does not make it right. Thats like saying you left your work email open with a lot of information you may not want out in the open but you forgot to log out when you stepped away. But if i walk by and see all the information and jolt some down its ok cause it was public (not the same extent but pretty much what happened from what I gather.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, antinomicTune said:

Oh, okay, thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware of this. Still I hope that the artist will keep his job

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, phobs said:

Oh, okay, thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware of this. Still I hope that the artist will keep his job

Likewise on the job keeping part, for sure.

I'll also use this response to add on some actual evidence for what I'm saying that I just now discovered. This (https://archive.ph/raWWq) is an archive of the original page taken by ICEknight on Sonic Retro. In the previous and next navigation buttons, you'll see thumbnails for 'Salt Lamp Island' and 'Winter Camp'. Both of those pieces are publicly available on his artstation (https://www.artstation.com/sfedqw) right now, no password needed. 

• Thumbs Up 4

15 hours ago, Winston said:

Some concept art for the show has apparently leaked through an artist's portfolio!

Found the page here: https://sfedqw.artstation.com/projects/Nxzb51

Okay. That was unexpected.

It looks... kinda alright, if you ask me. It's surely not bland like that Mega Man 'toon they've made back then.

I'm still waiting for that sweet first look tho :>

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely like the direction this is taking, it's a good point for the franchise to experiment with different takes on familiar characters. I do hope they dive deeper into the cast than Boom did, because I would kill for a noir dimension with the Chaotix as a Mafia mob, Rouge in a spy flick or Catwoman parody or heck, maybe Omega as a Transformer. It's the perfect opportunity to do ridiculous shit like that.

I'm unconvinced the main interpretations outside of Sonic will even show up at all since it sounds very "dimension of the week" from the synopsis. Would this mean the counterparts of Sonic's friends will tag along or just guest-star in their episode? I could see this Tails ending up as his interdimensional guide, but it might get crowded assuming they'll do several counterparts for Tails, Amy & Co...and Pirate Knuckles may be an antagonist, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

So they were not meant for public viewing? That gives them more credibility imo. I’m sure some things will change or be altered in the final cartoon but it’s probably basically what to expect.

So ever since the official announcement some have said they expect the multiverse to be newly made up versions specifically for this cartoon. These pics do suggest that but I do not think SatAM/AoS are totally out of the question.

Creating new universes for the sake of the show makes sense. If it was entirely based on previous Sonic media there’d only be...5 alternate universes? Games (which might be the Prime universe from where the story is told) - SatAM, AoS, Underground, X and Boom.

I doubt Underground would be included but SatAm and AoS are different enough to be alternate places that are strange and new to (Prime) Sonic. So is Underground but it’s wasn’t as popular as the others and it’s pretty much the same tone and Robotnik as SatAm.

12 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Fair enough. 

I guess the only thing we need to guess about is what will Pirate Knuckles look like. I doubt they're going to go deepcut and just have Sinbad show up, so I'm guessing he'll just be your stereotypical pirate captain. 

Pirate Knux, lol this I gotta see. 

I'm kinda wondering if IDW will do any sort of Tie-In with the show? If not an ongoing comic than a miniseries or one shot set in its universe.

Actually a miniseries would probably be best. I've heard IDW's cartoon based TMNT comics ran into the problem of being too episodic and not really getting to do anything really interesting at the risk of stepping on the shows toes.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I'm kinda wondering if IDW will do any sort of Tie-In with the show? If not an ongoing comic than a miniseries or one shot set in its universe.

Actually a miniseries would probably be best. I've heard IDW's cartoon based TMNT comics ran into the problem of being too episodic and not really getting to do anything really interesting at the risk of stepping on the shows toes.

Oh for sure. Maybe they can use storylines and ideas that might be left over from the show for inspiration.

11 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Sonic X and Sonic Boom had comics based on them, so Sonic Prime comics will happen for sure.

11 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Unfortunately, it is bound to happen to Sonic Prime comics as well. If you look at Sonic X and Sonic Boom comics those were very simple without much plot, because the comics writers are not allowed to deviate from the source material too much. What is likely to happen is either Sonic X/Sonic Boom style comics OR direct adaptation of the show.

• Thumbs Up 1