Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

I think another important question.....what's the target demographic. 

The My Little Pony G4 crowd, obviously.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

The My Little Pony G4 crowd, obviously.

...You know what's strange about this, despite that show being aimed for young girls, its probably had a more vocal online adult fanbase from both genders. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, first off, great news let's analyze how I feel towards the details

> Netflix

Probably better than any other platform, but it can be a double edge, because it cancels a lot of shows when not successful enough, we will see...

> Possibly Modern Sonic themed

This is a big YES, instead of using another brand new universe, just retcon and adapt the Modern series, without direct adaptations, I mean as in themes and events, characters and perhaps add some lore.

> 3D

Ugh, I liked the animation used by the shorts? I kinda wanted them to follow that, because 3D usually means they have to recycle assets, depends how is the budget but I hope it's animated better than Boom.

And I hope it's not a sitcom this time, but it manages to balance comedy, action, adventure and ACTUAL PLOT, with a main cast, main plot episodes as well as filler fun episodes. So both.

• Thumbs Up 1

The guys behind megaman? Yikes. You couldn't put a bigger red flag out there. It's such a massive crater in the recent history of the company that I can't even look around it to see what else they have done. 

So thanks to the rest of you for doing that for me. 

I see the noise about this group owning the DiC catalog, are we sure this is going with SegaSonic and not throwing back to those old shows? 

You could fill in that archie void and have an instant fanbase....

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmm, I hate when announcement have zero footage to go with them. it's just so cheap.

Oh man, so many conflicting though.

Positives
- Anything Sonic exited me even a little
- Man of Action created some good shows in the past, Ben 10 franchise being one of my favorite cartoons
- With someone else handling cartoons, Hesse can focus on movies and Mania sequels. I guess that something.

Negatives
- 2022 is a long time, hard to have opinion without single image
- Man of Action did a lot of bad or mediocre in current days
- CGI again? That's foreboding and frustrating
- I looked at WildBrain and 70% of their stuff is for babies. Carmen Sandiego and Fangbone look decent, rest make makes me worry. And both of those shows are 2D, not 3D.

For now I'm assuming it will be Mega Man Fully Charged 2.0, meaning not good. At very least I hope it's gonna have Modern cast.

Worst case scenario? Will have even less story arc than MM:FC. Only Sonic and Tails, fighting Eggman who uses robots based on movie rather than creative badniks. And bunch of boring OCs to fill the background,

• Thumbs Up 1

Believe it or not, their Megaman show is being finished as a comic book right now. I do assume SEGA have different intentions than Capcom and will be stricter on MoA/WildBrain than Capcom was. ( In fact, there was a third partner, Dentsu, that was involved in MMFC that isn’t here)

• Thumbs Up 1

Most of the stuff I see as a wait and see situation, apart form the fact that it will be on Netflix meaning I don't have to wait for months or maybe a year until the show comes to Scotland, like how Cartoon Network handled Sonic Boom where the show was televised in America first and we had to wait for so long.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just got the Hulu and Disney+ bundle for the Animaniacs.

I guess I'll get Netflix for as long as I want it. 

I was suspecting that it'd be something like this back when someone over at Sonic Team said they thought it was time for a new Sonic show. I figured they weren't going to go the network television route after the way CN dicked over Boom. 

Still, I was holding out hope for something 2D animated. Its just more pleasing to my eyes in infinately more ways really. The possibility that it would be Modern Sonic focused and not be a sit-com comedy does delight me though. Hopefully we're not in for a surprise re-design where Sonic's even taller and wrapped in belts instead of sports tape. 

I enjoyed Boom for what it was but what it was isn't my ideal kind of Sonic, ya know?

If I'm lucky I might see all the Chaotix and Omega in this one. Oh snap. Silver and Blaze might finally appear in a Sonic cartoon 15 years after they debutted.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hmm, I hate when announcement have zero footage to go with them. it's just so cheap.

Given that they deleted the tweet, it's pretty safe to assume they weren't supposed to announce it now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad Sega will be more strict with them.
Sega themselves have a great record in getting their characters right and creating good stories, like Sonic Free Riders, Forces and Lost worl... Oh.

Remind me why Sega being hands on is a good thing again? They've been doing an abysmall job this decade. 
I laugh everytime their interference with IDW comics is brought up as a good thing.
Oh, Sega is assisting Ian Flynn with accuracy? That's like reading Uwe Boll is giving Steven Spielberg advice on directing.

Unless they're bringing in the old guard like Shiro Maekawa, I rather have fresh talent take a shot at writing.
Altough if I see Pontaff and Graff mentioned as Character supervisors in the credits, I'll screenshot it and frame it up for a painting in my house.
That'd be glorious post modern art on par with Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain".

• Thumbs Up 9

6 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Sega themselves have a great record in getting their characters right and creating good stories, like Sonic Free Riders, Forces and Lost worl... Oh.

Reminds me why Sega being hands on is a good thing again? They've been doing an abysmall job this decade.  Unless they're bringing in the old guard like Shiro Maekawa, I rather have fresh talent take a shot at it.
Altough if I see Pontaff and Graff mentioned as Character supervisors in the credits, I'll screenshot it and frame it up for a painting in my house.

It honestly depends on what you're looking for; I feel like a lot of people just want something that feels familiar with the games, regardless of recent differences. Sega mandates are annoying, but people seem to be enjoying the IDW comics regardless. 

If its based on the movies or a different continuity altogether, well that's just another fracture in the franchise and a new sub-division to argue with. 

And this is looking like an American show if I'm being honest, so aside from supervising, I don't expect any of SOJ staff to really be hands on,

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Ian Flynn was perfectly capable in recreating the Game universe of Sonic by himself.
I'm still bitter Sega told him to tone down Shadow's brain activity and turn him back into the moronic angry jerk again.
And IDW has gotten way better now the series isn't hogtied to Forces  anymore. The first issues were really clumsy, having to be Sega's janitor in sweeping up that mess first.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just around the time I was wanting to see a new Sonic cartoon, huh. The inevitable stiff TV CG pipeline animation is disappointing but unsurprising. I'm just interested to see if they'll go the Sonic cartoon tradition of inventing yet another alt reality or go the IDW route.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I think Ian Flynn was perfectly capable in recreating the Game universe of Sonic by himself.
I'm still bitter Sega told him to tone down Shadow's brain activity and turn him back into the moronic angry jerk again.

You can blame Ken Penders and his bullshit for that :V

• Thumbs Up 1

The cartoon will be treated as its own thing regardless (though arguements about whether or not it/Sonix X/IDW is canon will persist by randos on the internet) so I'm hoping it goes the IDW route.

Its nice having a comic that feels set in the game's world but having another Sonic toon like that would feel incredible to me. Especially nowadays where the games barely want to engage with its own world.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

I’m cautiously optimistic, but given Man of Action’s previous work with Mega Man...I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Oh fuck. Man of Action? The same guys who gave us that terrible Mega Man show?

...I liked Fully Charged myself. It wasn't amazing but it was a pretty fun show. Also apparently the new Fully Charged comic has been really good. 

I am though a little worried they'll write Sonic like the did Peter Parker in Ultimate Spider-Man where he regularly breaks the fourth wall and has cutaway gags. I'm hoping that isn't where they go but it's a possibility. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Badnik Mechanic says SEGA hinted it is Modern themed

I just don't want yet another reboot/alternate universe, if they want to soft reboot (as in retcon a couple of things) Modern that's fine, the inconsistencies are already plenty, weird and keep changing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know self-aware humor isn't everyone's cup of tea, but something we need to keep in mind that is that IS what is popular in kid's shows nowadays. We don't have to like it, but if the show is aimed at a younger crowd, that is something we're definitely going to have to brace for. 

It's easy to forget, but most of us in here aren't part of Sonic's target demographic anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

All I hope for is SoA isn't trying to reinvent the wheel again like they did with Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

18 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Remind me why Sega being hands on is a good thing again? They've been doing an abysmall job this decade. 
I laugh everytime their interference with IDW comics is brought up as a good thing.
Oh, Sega is assisting Ian Flynn with accuracy? That's like reading Uwe Boll is giving Steven Spielberg advice on directing.

Unless they're bringing in the old guard like Shiro Maekawa, I rather have fresh talent take a shot at writing.

Free Riders was 10 years ago and is if anything actually better than their later stuff. Fire and Ice was perfectly fine, remember? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Fire and Ice was fine because it didn't really try to be much.
As long as everyone's a derpy cartoon running around doing silly things, they do fine, yeah. It's as soon as characters require brain activity where the problems start.

Self awareness has been trendy for a decade now. Usually trends shift after such a time, so I freaking hope we're onto a brand new trend now.
The Trend of dark edgeyness of the 2000's didn't last longer then a decade either, did it? Nor the wackyness of the 90's or the macho manliness of the 80's.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually looking over the Man of Action resume seems to have, at the very least, done away with any concern for it being another sit-com at least. When I first heard the news, I just heard that a new series was coming. Now that I know who's allegedly behind it and what else they've done I'm feeling a little more secure. I'm still not a fan of the 3D angle of course. If the reasoning is the same as Boom where they were like "Because it reminds you of the games" despite the fact that everything else about Boom did nothing to remind you of the games, I'll roll my eyes at that.

Still, I do think this resume is mostly positive and impressive. I see why you guys are singling out that Mega Man cartoon but I'm not quite that worried just yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Snowragnarok said:

Free Riders was 10 years ago and is if anything actually better than their later stuff.

They didn't work on Free Riders so that's probably why lol

Though it's also like saying trash is better than garbage, so

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Fire and Ice was fine because it didn't really try to be much.
As long as everyone's a derpy cartoon running around doing silly things, they do fine, yeah. It's as soon as characters require brain activity where the problems start.

Self awareness has been trendy for a decade now. Usually trends shift after such a time, so I freaking hope we're onto a brand new trend now.
The Trend of dark edgeyness of the 2000's didn't last longer then a decade either, did it? Nor the wackyness of the 90's or the macho manliness of the 80's.

I'm curious, what is your honest preference then, because I've only ever heard you talk about what you don't want in this series. you said you want something that "feels like Adventure" so what "feels like an adventure" is for you?

• Thumbs Up 2