Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

16 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Badnik Mechanic says SEGA hinted it is Modern themed

I just don't want yet another reboot/alternate universe, if they want to soft reboot (as in retcon a couple of things) Modern that's fine, the inconsistencies are already plenty, weird and keep changing.

I've every reason to believe what @Badnik Mechanic says.

Honestly, being based on on Modern Sonic (such a dumb name for the brand but whatever) would be a big thumbs up from me. And I'd especially like it if it was an action based serial with a continuing plot. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Geez, I regret what I said, I'm turning this whole conversation into a rant.

Look, everything Sonic did in the past is good, and something I'd accept.
(Well, minus Sonic Boom. I mean, it is what it is, and that's fine, but I want to move on from that.)

Heck, even Lost World and Forces if they put more care into the setting and rounded out the characters more.
It's not WHAT Sega's doing that bothers me, just the carelessness and lack of any kind of passion and direction from it.
Hence why I want fresh writers to take on the new show. I don't care what direction they take it, as long as they actually care about what they're doing, something I don't feel with Sega's team, that feel more like a boardroom of suits making a checklist of popular things to shove in.

Being like IDW would be great.
I ESPECIALLY would love something like the Sonic OVA movie. Well, without the voice acting, but the kind of world it's set in is amazing.
Being like the movie would be great, provided we explore Sonic's world and Robotnik more and move away from earth.
Modern game Sonic is great, provided they throw the meta aspect and Pontaff's sense of humor out of a 50 story window.

Forget I said anything, it's just my lack of faith in Sega in general Souering me, not anything specific.
Now let's keep me being a bitter old man out of the conversation.

Weird how they specify it's Modern Sonic.
That seems to indicate we're getting that specific incarnation, and not another Boom esque alternate universe.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Geez, I regret what I said, I'm turning this whole conversation into a rant.

Look, everything Sonic did in the past is good, and something I'd accept.
(Well, minus Sonic Boom. I mean, it is what it is, and that's fine, but I want to move on from that.)

Heck, even Lost World and Forces if they put more care into the setting and rounded out the characters more.
It's not WHAT Sega's doing that bothers me, just the carelessness and lack of any kind of passion and direction from it.
Hence why I want fresh writers to take on the new show. I don't care what direction they take it, as long as they actually care about what they're doing, something I don't feel with Sega's team, that feel more like a boardroom of suits making a checklist of popular things to shove in.

Being like IDW would be great.
I ESPECIALLY would love something like the Sonic OVA movie. Well, without the voice acting, but the kind of world it's set in is amazing.
Being like the movie would be great, provided we explore Sonic's world and Robotnik more and move away from earth.
Modern game Sonic is great, provided they throw the meta aspect and Pontaff's sense of humor out of a 50 story window.

Forget I said anything, it's just my lack of faith in Sega in general Souering me, not anything specific.
Now let's keep me being a bitter old man out of the conversation.

Weird how they specify it's Modern Sonic.
That seems to indicate we're getting that specific incarnation, and not another Boom esque alternate universe.

I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, I was just being curious. 

Anyway, if it is Modern Sonic based, then how much creative control will Sega exercise of the over the series; they've had their fingers in the pudding much more often than usual. Can we expect similar mandates that the comics have to abide by?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm always wary about 3d/cgi cartoon, especially if they're 1) a series, and 2) focused on action. Most of the time they just don't have the flexibility and expressiveness that 2D has, especially when they have a limited budget.

MoA & MMFC I used to hate, now I don't really care. Heard decent amount of people like it, so I assumed it just wasn't my cup of tea. Heard the comic is very good, probably better than what the cartoon was trying to do.

Imo Sega's mandate problem feels exaggerated than it really is. While mandates can & do suck, the writers has some responsibility for making it work. So I'm more worried about the writers not being able to balance what they really wanna write w/ the official direction & guidelines.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

You know, from what I'm gathering here, you guys just want another Sonic X lmao. 

No no no. I want something good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm definitely not worried about mandates or whatever. I've been thoroughly enjoying the IDW comics despite their existence with the only huge hold out being how Shadow has a bunch of Jacob Marley chains shackled around his personality. 

We've seen what happens when other companies are given free reign to just do whatever the hell they want. The nightmare that was Sonic's original movie design still haunts the minds of children in the dead of night.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

No no no. I want something good. 

Popular =/= Good :V

Sonic X was most well received Sonic show and was hot garbage more often than not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I still really enjoy Sonic X. Subbed at least. As I've grown older, the line for what I can tolerate stops at all the 4kids puns and endless clown music. However, I'd totally be on board for something similar to what the 3rd season tried to do. Just an adventure story where there was a huge threat and all the characters were sectioned off into groups based on who they were and what they were trying to achieve. It's still really fun and exciting to me regardless of whatever hang ups others may have about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I enjoyed what I saw of Boom quite a bit, although I've only seen a few episodes and clips online, but this sounds much more my style. I'm not all too familiar with the Mega Man cartoon that the studio made, which people seem to either not mind or downright hate, but it all depends on the writing for me. A modern Sonic cartoon would be pretty cool, especially if it has a continuing story. A few one-off episodes are fine too.

I would've liked it to be 2D honestly, but 3D is fine and works more with the style of the games I guess. I'm just hoping we get characters like Silver, Blaze, The Chaotix, etc. in the mix of this. Nothing wrong with the main cast, but it'd be neat to see some of the characters that really have not been used that much in the past ten years. Guess it all depends on what SEGA wants. I'm not fully in the know of the restrictions they place on the comics, as I've not yet read the IDW series, but I know there are restrictions. I hope whoever is behind this show can deliver what they want to bring. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is great! Didn't think there was going to be a new Sonic cartoon this soon, but it's good to know there'll be more content besides comics between game releases. ..assuming it actually lasts a decent amount of time, considering Sonic cartoons tend to be cancelled after a year or two.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question to those who enjoyed Fully Charge

1) Why?

2) What is your definition of bad cartoon? Examples would be nice.

Personally I remember one or two decent episodes (Woodman, Chaotique) but with 52 episodes it would require special effort to fail every time. I guess it's nice they tried to have some sort of theme and lore, but it was pretty sloppy, mostly watered down version of what Mega Man already done in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I still really enjoy Sonic X. Subbed at least. As I've grown older, the line for what I can tolerate stops at all the 4kids puns and endless clown music. However, I'd totally be on board for something similar to what the 3rd season tried to do. Just an adventure story where there was a huge threat and all the characters were sectioned off into groups based on who they were and what they were trying to achieve. It's still really fun and exciting to me regardless of whatever hang ups others may have about it.

I like bad puns. :(

4 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1) Why?

Personally I remember one or two decent episodes (Woodman, Chaotique) but with 52 episodes it would require special effort to fail every time. I guess it's nice they tried to have some sort of theme and lore, but it was pretty sloppy, mostly watered down version of what Mega Man already done in the past.

4 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1) Why?

1. It started to develop into a well meaning action show by the end. It wasn't amazing, but it did show some dedication to serious storytelling. 

2. A show that doesn't make any effort even in the long run, or even commit to a vision. Or just one that really dumb things down. Pac-Man comes to mind. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I mean, so do I. 4kids bad puns are on a different level of tolerance for me though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I mean ok. Since we haven't seen anything about this cartoon I can't really say I like it or hate it, so like whatever.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, so do I. 4kids bad puns are on a different level of tolerance for me though. 

As someone who only watched the dub I didn't really think it was too bad or good, just kinda plain.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

1. It started to develop into a well meaning action show by the end. It wasn't amazing, but it did show some dedication to serious storytelling. 

2. A show that doesn't make any effort even in the long run, or even commit to a vision. Or just one that really dumb things down. Pac-Man comes to mind. 

Hit the nail on the head pretty well there. By the end, it felt like a decent enough new incarnation of the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man of Action has kinda lost their touch with me over the years, so I’m not really sure what to think about them working on it.

If we get things more along the lines of their action shows Generator Rex or the Ben 10 before Omniverse, it might be more to my liking on paper. But even then, I’d still need to see something to make a decent judgment.

One thing I don’t want is to follow the writing direction of things that started in Lost Worlds or arguably Generations, and that is not a difficult standard to ask for even from MoA. And Megaman Fully Charged definitely didn’t catch me as well as I would’ve liked on first impression, but I think Sonic’s a little more difficult for them to take into that route without setting off alarms.

If they’ve learned anything from the Sonic movie first impression before the second trailer, then they shouldn’t screw this up knowing the consequences of backlash.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Nothing but a simple statement from Netflix, but it's confirmed CGI and coming in 2022. MAN OF ACTION are known for acclaimed children's action series like Ben 10 and Generator Rex so it should be less comedy focused than Boom.

Didn't expect that today. Cool!

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love a serious action cartoon if not based around the IDW comic at least keep its writing format cause honestly its probably the best the story in the sonic franchise has been in quite some time. and I do mean some time. Also i would not mind even if they had humans show up. (As long as they were not like chris/do not look like those things in unleashed)

• Thumbs Up 1

Really excited.

Have not seen Mega Man. I want to but I’ve only ever played MM2 on NES. So can’t say much about it either way. I have seen a lot of Ben 10. I think any of those versions could work for Sonic. Even Omniverse. It was not as dumbed down as people make it out to be. I think the change in art style bothered people. I stopped watching Boom. Didn’t really like the sitcom format. Some were good and I know they tried other stuff so I do wanna finish it.

So this must be more action-oriented which is why I’m really excited. Of course there will be some humor. That’s fine. I don’t care if it’s 3D or 2D. It should look good regardless. Whatever kind of universe they use I’ll be happy.

Imagine if they reintroduced the Freedom Fighters? Or at least Sally. It is technically from the same company that did SatAM right? Not in the same continuity obviously but it could be a safe way to test out the character(s) again in a new version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hog of Action, eh? Guess they've got not only a substantial resume in action cartoons, but plenty of experience with snarky teen heroes as well.

Need I also mention that Roger Craig Smith has history with them as well? Perhaps he put in a good word!

latest?cb=20170712222338&path-prefix=es

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding Man of Action: I am actually rather unfamiliar with their work, aside from Mega Man: Fully Charged.

Regarding Mega Man: Fully Charged: I think it’s rather underrated.  It’s first impressions were generally bad ones, whatwith it changing a lot of things seemingly just for the sake of changing them, and its excessive backstory and secrets that only gradually got explained.  But it’s actually a fairly fun show a lot of the time, and while I was daunted by the replacement of many characters, some of the new characters won me over.  I really liked Man Man (based on Bad Box Art Mega Man), Blasto Woman and Chaotique.  The show’s flaws were mostly in not playing up it’s best elements enough.  Though that was likely not what really killed it; bringing us to next point.

Regarding Netflix: People seem to dislike this platform on the basis of being so cancel-happy, but the truth is Netflix is just more liberal than most in greenlighting series to take a trial run.  That most don’t make enough splash to be renewed as long as Stranger Things or Bojack Horseman might sting if you liked them, but without Netflix, who knows if you’d get them at all?  At any rate, I think the show is safer with Netflix than with Cartoon Network, which barely cares about any series that isn’t Teen Titans Go or Steven Universe.  Others get shoved into tiny margins, and then overlooked because of that, and then kicked over to Boomerang, cancelled, or both.  I can’t say Netflix would necessarily be better for Sonic than Disney, Nickelodeon or Discovery Kids, though.

Regarding Sonic Boom: I enjoyed its humor, all while resenting that it focused on humor at the expense of almost everything else.  I’d hesitate to say it really tarnished the reputation of the whole series, but maybe only because it’s reputation was already one of meta-humor and the like.  If Forces is any indication, though, I’m not sure how well they’d handle a more serious story.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

56 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Imagine if they reintroduced the Freedom Fighters? Or at least Sally. It is technically from the same company that did SatAM right? Not in the same continuity obviously but it could be a safe way to test out the character(s) again in a new version.

While I personally believe the possibility of the Freedom Fighters coming back is extremely unlikely....the idea by itself doesn't sound that bad.
Seeing how MoA decided to do their own spin of Mega Man while making people believe it will be an adaptation, I won't be surprised if they decided to give that a try. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Natie said:

Sooo, when *was* that announcement supposed to be for then, if not the Game Awards...?

I have a theory that maybe whoever runs the Twitter got the right time but screwed up the day. Whether it's supposed to be tomorrow or some other day IDK but that's just my guess. 

• Thumbs Up 1