Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

I hope it is based on the IDW comics or similar in the concept of it being based from the game universe. Just please no more cartoon original story universes for Sonic with terrible redesigns, human sidekicks and whatnot. It really needs to be action, adventure & light drama focused all within a surreal fantasy world... basically all the best stuff the Sonic series is built around & most successful at.

I especially want to see other popular characters from the series along with short story arcs for them. I badly want Blaze who is my favorite from this franchise finally be on a mainstream Sonic series and hopefully with a decent amount of story for her.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm happy to see were getting a new Sonic show so soon after the last. (despite my loathing of Boom)

Hopefully its not based on the movie universe. Let the movie's story be told in the movies. Whenever these film franchises get TV/Netflix spin-offs (most of Dreamworks' stuff for instance) it always comes across as a cheap and lazy cash-grab.

• Thumbs Up 3

So if it does by some miracle feature the SatAM cast who do you guys think should voice them.

In my mind I got Cristina Vee as Sally, Khary Payton as Rotor and either Ashleigh Ball or Tara Strong as Bunnie. Antoine I'm less sure about but I do think he should be voiced by an actual Frenchman.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, so it's been about a day since the reveal was announced then deleted 10-minutes later. So here's my thoughts on this whole thing.

1st off, 2022. That's such a long time away, especially since Netflix shows typically get announced about a year before premiere (E.g Skylanders Academy). Likely it'll be released in the Fall of 2022. I know it's coming out the same year as the Movie sequel, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be Movie based. It'll help promote the film, but outside of Sonic himself it won't be connected. Likely.

2ndly, Modern Sonic based (going by the render & what was posted a couple pages back). This'll be the 1st Modern Sonic based cartoon since Sonic X. And that is where the majority of my excitement is coming from. Because Sonic X, the English dub, is what got me started on the Sonic series before getting into the games like Unleashed & Rivals 2.

This also presents the opportunity for characters like Silver & Blaze (both in my Top-5 Sonic Characters list) to finally have a part in a Sonic TV show since their respective introductions in 2005 & 2006.

3rdly, Netflix. While I currently do not have the service, I do believe that this Sonic cartoon is in better hands after the whole Cartoon Network debacle with shoving Sonic Boom over to Boomerang for it's 2nd season. Which, from what I've been hearing, Mega Man Fully Charged got similar treatment.

But even if Sega had gone with Nickelodeon, they probably would've still done the same thing CN did with Boom. Examples being My Life As A Teenage Robot (booted to Nicktoons for it's 3rd & final season) & El Tigre being cancelled because they were not as successful as Spongebob.

This way, there's no schedules to place the show in or anything like that. Anybody can watch it, anytime they want to. Not to mention that Netflix has already been a good place for video game based TV shows like Skylanders Academy, Castlevania & a few others.

Next up is format. Is it gonna be the 11-minutes of comedy Boom provided? Or 22-minute episodes of something closer to the games, more action & story focused? I don't know, but I'm personally thinking the latter since this is Modern Sonic we're talking about.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Sonic Boom for what it was (which was also CGI). It was certainly better than most of what CN was airing at the time. But the 22-minute action/story focused format seems to be a better fit if you ask me. 'Cause that's what Sonic X's format was & Season 3 turned out the best in the series.

So therefore it can balance out darker moments with some lighthearted moments. So long as we have some good writers working on it. I mean I get it, it's Man of Action, who's responsible for Ben 10 (which I grew up & caught up with until about the Alien X episode of Alien Force). Which managed to keep the same quality (writing/animation) up until Ultimate Alien ended. But their also responsible for MM:FC, which to a lot of people was a dud on their part. I can't say anything about that because I ain't seen it.

I mean, no show is perfect. Skylanders Academy didn't start getting better until about half way through the 1st season & it picked up from there. It was a different interpretation of that universe (to an extent Crash Bandicoot) that put Spyro front & center. Something that the games didn't exactly do outside the 1st game & Imaginators.

I don't think it's gonna turn out like MM:FC or even that CGI Pac-man cartoon from a few years ago...oohh boy! From my understanding, Pontaff had a hand in that shows writing & after watching a seasons worth of episodes, yeah. I was clearly Not the shows demographic. Pac-Man & the ghosts look good, so are their interactions...but that's about it. I'm sure the shows games turned out better.

Anyways, the most I can see this Sonic cartoon turning out to be, & the only other show on Netflix I can compare it to is Dreamworks Dragons. Unlike Skylanders Academy, the story wasn't it's own interpretation. It served as a bridge between the 1st & 2nd films (Sonic's likely Not going this route since it's Modern Not Movie Sonic). It had it's own one-off episodes like all shows do, but this had a consistent tone across the entire series. It was darker, had deeper story elements that (from what I'm aware of) most modern cartoons don't have. Yes, Puss in Boots (on Netflix) had deeper, darker elements. But it moreso resembled a action/comedy show than a story driven show. Plus the ending had too many plotholes, I'll say that much.

But that's just how I see a Sonic show handling the tone & writing. With Sega having their hand in the mix, I'm sure it's Not gonna turn out like MM:FC or even Skylanders Academy.

But I'm moreso imagining an IDW Sonic comic tone & I absolutely enjoyed what the IDW comics have done with the series. Truly the best mix of story telling & writing I've seen this series have in quite some time. While also pulling a lot from the games source material, as well as given characters like Blaze actual story involvement post Rush Adventure (or Team Sonic Racing to an extent). If the show can pull off what the IDW comics did in a TV format, I'd be really happy with the results.

But at the end of the day, it's more Sonic content. I'm Not expecting it to pull off an Unleashed intro in the 1st 5-minutes ( seeing as it a CGi cartoon), but from what we can gather right now I'm very excited for it! Despite it still being 2-years away.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Chao in Space...

Let me rephrase that, 1st Modern Sonic animated TV series since Sonic X.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Chao in Space...

Team Sonic Racing Overdrive actually, if you want to play that card. But it's silly card to play anyway because a couple of animated shorts released on YouTube over the course of several months is very different to an actual TV show.

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean, I had to assume they counted the mania shorts otherwise it wouldn't matter.

There was only one show in between otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, when exactly is this supposed to be "officially" announced? And will we get footage, or a splash image? 

The Ark Animated series got a teaser, and that also doesn't come out until 2022.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

From my understanding, Pontaff had a hand in that shows writing & after watching a seasons worth of episodes, yeah.

Yeah as Freelance writers tend to do. I'm definitely not going to defend Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures but like Ken Pontac only wrote a few episodes. You know what else the team wrote? The introduction of Dr. Morocco on Transformers Rescue Bots*. It's almost like writers write what they're told to write or something.

* https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Other_Doctor

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 12/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, Kuzu said:

Alright, let's get this out of the way since this will likely happen; what's the worst way this show can immediately turn you guys off from it? Being a new continuity? Based on the games? Having Pontac and Graff writing it?

Conversely, what would actually make you excited at watching it?

Basically if it's just another "continuity is for losers" comedy like Boom, my interest is gonna drop harder than when I saw Classic Sonic in the Forces teaser. Ok, not that hard but you get what I mean.

Provided it goes in a direction similar to other Man of Actions shows, I will prefer it to Sonic Boom.

Also, get Ben Schwartz for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2020 at 12:41 PM, Strickerx5 said:

.Maybe it's a movie tie-in? Eh, I hope not.

I just echo your thoughts here because i dont want that either.

What i want is a continuation of Sonic X series but i doubt that will happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2020 at 7:33 PM, Blue Blood said:

I've every reason to believe what @Badnik Mechanic says.

He also dropped a hint about it on this forum a few weeks ago in case when it was announced nobody believed he knew about it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 4

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I mean, I had to assume they counted the mania shorts otherwise it wouldn't matter.

There was only one show in between otherwise.

Well... There is Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

He also dropped a hint about it on this forum a few weeks ago in case when it was announced nobody believed he knew about it.

When and where did you? And how much do you know now?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

When and where did you? And how much do you know now?

He probably can’t say. He did mention seeing something, 5hough, s9 maybe he saw a trailer?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The Ark Animated series got a teaser, and that also doesn't come out until 2022.

Heard about that, but didn't know about it releasing in 2022.

2 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

👀

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

So if it does by some miracle feature the SatAM cast who do you guys think should voice them.

In my mind I got Cristina Vee as Sally, Khary Payton as Rotor and either Ashleigh Ball or Tara Strong as Bunnie. Antoine I'm less sure about but I do think he should be voiced by an actual Frenchman.

Well, Antoine de Caunes would be a good choice. He did the French VO for Stuart Little. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:53 AM, The Famous Sonic said:

I really hope Silver and Blaze appear in this cartoon since they haven't appeared in one yet! 

Yes. I hope so. It's time.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they cancelled Boom and opted for a new cartoon based on Modern Sonic, it's already good they want to avoid the mistakes of the past, that led to their failure, So no focus on comedy, no more reboots, more plot (I hope)

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless they go for a Samurai Jack style show, asking for no focus on comedy is entirely unnecessary.

Are ya asking for a arching narrative or a 22 minute show with more time for setup?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think comedy in and on itself is the problem.
Problem I have with the comedy of the past decade is that it has zero energy to it.
Come on, Sonic's a fast hedgehog, Eggman a crazy man child with a robot army and giant ego.
There's aeroplanes, space ships, laser canons. You'd think this leads to high energy crazy humor.

Instead, all the comedy we get is Sonic and friends standing around like a sack of potatoes going "haha. Eggman's mustache has a funny shape. Haha, the fat guy is hungry, haha. Haha, Mc Donalds food is not very good. Haha. it's like I'm a videogame man or something. Haha".
No energy at all.

The Mania adventure/ Team Sonic racing shorts were a way better example on how to do comedy with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

That's an important distinction to make; "I hate comedy and don't want it" implies you hate any type of comedic moments rather than a specific type.

I've said it before, but people are so focused on what they don't want out if this show, but what exactly do we want then?

What do you want this show to be or what do you want it to do?

• Thumbs Up 1

I want something that feels like it matters. 

Whether it's focused on smaller plots, or big adventure, I'd just really like it to feel like it matters. The idea that Sonic's world grows around him, even if he stays the same. 

Id also really like a proper rogues gallery too. 

• Thumbs Up 2