Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

2 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

haha. Eggman's mustache has a funny shape.

We had things like walrus chops and looks like he has two squirrels stuffed up his nose in the 90's. This at least is sort of traditional for the series,

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

That's an important distinction to make; "I hate comedy and don't want it" implies you hate any type of comedic moments rather than a specific type.

I've said it before, but people are so focused on what they don't want out if this show, but what exactly do we want then?

What do you want this show to be or what do you want it to do?

I don't mind having comedic moments, but I still want the primary focus to be based on action/adventure, and decent narrative, instead of having a completely slice of life comedic focus like Boom.

Probably the most obvious example, but something like Dragon Ball could work well with it's blend of comedy, action, and arc-based story-telling. Being on Netflix where a whole season can drop at once allows for more possibilities instead of just doing one and done 11 minute episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

We had things like walrus chops and looks like he has two squirrels stuffed up his nose in the 90's. This at least is sort of traditional for the series,

Sonic used to tie his mustache together and Mama Robotnik sometimes had his mustache on AOSTH. I really don't know why people act like Eggman mustache jokes are new.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I've said it before, but people are so focused on what they don't want out if this show, but what exactly do we want then?

What do you want this show to be or what do you want it to do?

I'm keeping my expectations in check since good animation is expensive and because this is Sonic, but I hope it at least has some decent sense of style and energy to it. Like, I didn't hate Boom, but it was pretty stiff for something based on a character defined by how he moves. Regardless of how it's written or what the setting and characters are it should at least be appealing to look at.

Also as much of a gamble as it is I'm hoping its a separate continuity, not a continuation or branch-off of some existing one. I want to see something interesting made out of the base components of Sonic and not something tied down by existing stories.

• Thumbs Up 7

My demands are simple

- I had enough comedy Sonic for last decade. I want action and drama this time. Ongoing plot, story arc, energy, ambition.

- If they must go comedic route, GIVE ME MUSICAL. Every funny show without musical is doing it wrong. I want Shadow rock and rolling. I want Eggman go heavy metal. Bring back rapping Knuckles.

- On that note, good intro. Boom had coma inducing boring intro. Good intro is what makes cartoon immortal.

- More than Core Cast. The more the merrier. I'll take Marine.

- And lastly, indulge my irrational demands: have quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm torn if I want a new continuity or one based off an existing one; both carry inherent risks, because this is Sonic and whatever can go wrong will go wrong. The latter is probably the safer option. So I guess I'll lay out my wants depending on what we get. 

If it's the former, then they should go all of the fuck out. A new continuity means you don't have to be constrained by what the main series has done in the past and you're free to interpret things however you wish. Boom wasn't exactly my favorite series, but because they didn't have to slavishly derive from the main canon, the writers were basically able to do whatever the fuck they wanted, and it resulted in some truly unique shit. I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea for what Sonic should be, but for what it was, it was still pretty good at the end of the day. If you make a new continuity, take the opportunity to do something fresh.

If its a series based on the universe established by the games ala the IDW comics, then use the opportunity to fill in holes left by the games and do things that would normally be impossible for them. One of the things I loved about Sonic X is that Sonic himself wasn't always the main focus; characters who are usually neglected in the main games gets tons of spotlight to stand out like Knuckles, Rouge, Amy and the like. This could be a chance for Silver and Blaze to finally get back in the spotlight.  While it's true that Sonic himself was out of focus more often than not, its not like you can't do anything with him either. Hell, you could even use the show to promote both the games and the comics; lord knows I replayed SA1, SA2, and Heroes all after watching it on Sonic X one Saturday. It feeds into itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic cartoons have looked like shit for like 20 years now despite the games pushing boundaries in terms of art design. Wildbrain being involved doesn't give me a ton of faith that this will be any different, but I'd love to be wrong. 

This is like...the main thing about the cartoon I'm concerned about, before we get into the genre or the quality of the writing. A purely episodic action comedy would be fine with me as long as it looked good. 

Continuity is also something I'm not too fussed with. i expect this will follow the relatively baggage free antics of Sonic/Tails/Eggman regardless of the canon it takes place in. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We've just had so many reboot universes I've just gotten tired of them, a big component is the fact that they havent been able to get the most potential out of their MAIN world.

If Sonic games had been riding high and doing the best they can for years I'd be much more open to seeing new takes. But currently we have a bunch of interesting threads that connected with people and just pittered out as soon as they came, in favor of Sega wiping the slate clean over and over.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing about those "threads" is that even the newest ones are 15 years old and counting. A comic is one thing since those are pointed at enthusiasts, but I can't really see them trying to spin that into a kid's cartoon on a mainstream service. They're gonna have to come at this from a fresh perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want the universe that this series is set in to be similar to the games. I want those characters and I want the setup to be similar. X is the only series that manages this so far. It's a parallel to the games and an adaptation thereof, even before it directly adapted of a few games. Everything else has been quite a big departure from the games (or AoSTH which had the task of creating something out of nothing).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

- If they must go comedic route, GIVE ME MUSICAL. Every funny show without musical is doing it wrong. I Shadow rock and rolling. I want Eggman go heavy metal. Bring back rapping Knuckles.

I would love this but IMHO Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Scrubs have already done the best musical episodes in TV history so it'd be hard to top.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to point out that Sonic X was, and still is, the most popular Sonic show to date regardless of its actual quality. Having something fresh and new is good and all, but brand familiarity is important as well. 

This is a video game adaptation however, so I'm not expecting them to push the boundaries, but I hope the production values are good enough. It's a shame though, because Sonic kind of relies on movement and energy for his personality to really shine. So if the animation is shit, you're really just underselling the appeal of the character. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Looking at the people who are working on the show I'd say the best option would be to go a Sonic X route, comedic and serious.                                             But they should do it without a human who replaces the main character, and is only there to annoy the audience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking about it a good bit, I think the show is going to have a bigger focus on story arcs, given that Netflix shows can be binge-watched.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that I think about it, id also really like a soundtrack that stands out. 

Most western cartoon soundtracks get a little too cheesy for my tastes and rely on emulating a low quality film score. Id love something straight up more rock inspired and underground with the soundtrack. (Dont even go there.)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

I don't mind having comedic moments, but I still want the primary focus to be based on action/adventure, and decent narrative, instead of having a completely slice of life comedic focus like Boom.

Probably the most obvious example, but something like Dragon Ball could work well with it's blend of comedy, action, and arc-based story-telling. Being on Netflix where a whole season can drop at once allows for more possibilities instead of just doing one and done 11 minute episodes.

One of the biggest problems with Boom to me wasn't that it was a comedy.

It was a BORING comedy that didn't do that good of a job with its material, both due to the excessive meta elements and just lackluster execution of it's humor.

The cardinal sin of a comedy is to be BORING.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, VisionaryofSUPER said:

When and where did you? And how much do you know now?

All I can reveal is.

You are not paranoid.

There are hidden cameras in the walls.

You are being watched....

And it is me who is doing the watching!

===== 

But for reals. 

I'm not the only person in the community who knew about it, another VERY well known individual also knows about it, I know this because we had a chat over 'what do we do with this information?' 

Basically, we got access to a bunch of information and it was one of those moments which was "This is... a goldmine for fansites... Really bad for Sega if we just post this... We really shouldn't have access to this!" and when we got in touch with Sega about it to confirm if it was supposed to be where we found it and well... lol... the contacts we had all seemed quite shocked that we found it... lol even the people we spoke to at Sega didn't even know about the planned announcements... It was that secretive!

So I need to be cryptic here... Don't wanna give away where this info is (though I think it's been pulled now).

This information wasn't on a Sega server, or something ran by Sega. It wasn't at all a case of 'Sega messed up' e.g. put their entire plans onto their press vault ala Sonic Unleashed' and had no verification on who could access it.

It was more along the lines of a partner.Net scenario. E.g. I said I was this person, please can I have access to approved released material... Only instead of being given those credentials... I was given the credentials of a systems admin and could see EVERYTHING lol.

So... yeah we had to mail Sega about it to see if it were approved content or if this company had screwed up our credentials.

Let this be a lesson to any would be bloggers or youtubers looking for a quick fame hit.

if I... or the other person had news'd that info... Whilst we wouldn't have been in any bother... It would have likely destroyed any faith/relationships built with Sega... Sometimes you have to let a megaton go.

P.S.

If you are trying to guess what we saw from this. I'm around 90% confident that you will be utterly wrong. We did not see any new Sonic Game.

• Thumbs Up 5

28 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

All I can reveal is.

You are not paranoid.

There are hidden cameras in the walls.

You are being watched....

And it is me who is doing the watching!

===== 

But for reals. 

I'm not the only person in the community who knew about it, another VERY well known individual also knows about it, I know this because we had a chat over 'what do we do with this information?' 

Basically, we got access to a bunch of information and it was one of those moments which was "This is... a goldmine for fansites... Really bad for Sega if we just post this... We really shouldn't have access to this!" and when we got in touch with Sega about it to confirm if it was supposed to be where we found it and well... lol... the contacts we had all seemed quite shocked that we found it... lol even the people we spoke to at Sega didn't even know about the planned announcements... It was that secretive!

So I need to be cryptic here... Don't wanna give away where this info is (though I think it's been pulled now).

This information wasn't on a Sega server, or something ran by Sega. It wasn't at all a case of 'Sega messed up' e.g. put their entire plans onto their press vault ala Sonic Unleashed' and had no verification on who could access it.

It was more along the lines of a partner.Net scenario. E.g. I said I was this person, please can I have access to approved released material... Only instead of being given those credentials... I was given the credentials of a systems admin and could see EVERYTHING lol.

So... yeah we had to mail Sega about it to see if it were approved content or if this company had screwed up our credentials.

Let this be a lesson to any would be bloggers or youtubers looking for a quick fame hit.

if I... or the other person had news'd that info... Whilst we wouldn't have been in any bother... It would have likely destroyed any faith/relationships built with Sega... Sometimes you have to let a megaton go.

I take it one of those announcements you saw was of the next Classic and/or Modern Sonic Games? And how much info on the Netflix show was in this leak?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

I take it one of those announcements you saw was of the next Classic and/or Modern Sonic Games? And how much info on the Netflix show was in this leak?

You literally quoted a post that... Kinda makes it clear I won't divulge that info lol.

• Chuckle 3

3 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

You literally quoted a post that... Kinda makes it clear I won't divulge that info lol.

I'm guessing you won't be able to say when the official announcement should be?

Ah well, its cool you didn't leak it. Can't stand spoilers, and it was nice to have a genuine surprise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I'm guessing you won't be able to say when the official announcement should be?

Ah well, its cool you didn't leak it. Can't stand spoilers, and it was nice to have a genuine surprise. 

Just made a little edit.

But so it's not lost here it is again.

"If you are trying to guess what we saw from this. I'm around 90% confident that you will be utterly wrong. We did not see any new Sonic Game."

• Thumbs Up 1

So this was literally it, then. Okay. 

Side-note, since the tweet was deleted, anyone else think the official announcement is this coming week?

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

So this was literally it, then. Okay. 

Side-note, since the tweet was deleted, anyone else think the official announcement is this coming week?

I mean, maybe the 20th. Since its the only hint we have for new Sonic news in general. 

I guess the question is if they have footage or not. Because usually when something like this happens, the company just lets the cat out of the bag immediately. 

But SEGA still isn't saying anything about this. Maybe they means they have something extra that we didn't get in that initial leak.

• Thumbs Up 1

Footage? Highly doubt it. Most of these streaming cartoons have usually been announced first with just an image then only showing footage when its months from release. I think that post was meant to be all we get starting out.

• Thumbs Up 1