Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

11 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

But you didn’t SAY “Only slight comedy”; you said “NO comedy”.

I must be blind cause I do not see where I said that. I said slight comedy, and  I guess Kuzu is the closet to what i mean. noting is a big enough threat i guess. Colors forward its just less serious than pass games. BUT thankfully from what I hear the writers of those games will not be writing the new game.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I must be blind cause I do not see where I said that.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, Meta77 said:

No comedy for the love of god.

???

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Domino said:

???

OOOOF My bad I thought it was for the post talking about idws slight comedy. By no comedy i should say NO Comedy series. You can have again slight comedy but should NOT be a comedy based series. Otherwise the sonic social media pages will just be meme pages.

• Thumbs Up 1

I sincerely hope this new cartoon finds a balance between having comedic moments and more serious/intense scenes without leading too much towards either side.   That’s pretty much the tone that any media of Sonic should strive for, whether it’s the games, comics, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, Big-C said:

I sincerely hope this new cartoon finds a balance between having comedic moments and more serious/intense scenes without leading too much towards either side.   That’s pretty much the tone that any media of Sonic should strive for, whether it’s the games, comics, etc. 

I agree with this.  Just have the perfect balance between comedy and drama and this new series might become a success.

• Thumbs Up 1

The tone and comedic balance will also depend on what the direction Sega wants, besides the highly likely lame humour the writing team will provide.

As we said, with Netflix they have no limit on episode duration, so the plots can be extended and be told more in-depth. 

What I am noticing by SEGA is that nowadays they want to keep everything strictly in-brand image, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tie up the next game to the cartoon and IDW, basically everything as Modern Sonic, with same depictions of the cast, characters from one media appearing in others, same style.

As for plots, I am still expecting main plot and slice of life episodes, which is still ideal, and I wish for seasonal big bads.

The humour... Man, if they could get the same vibe as the shorts, now THAT would be great, those were a lot of fun, and not as if they were written by stand up comedians like in Boom.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

The humour... Man, if they could get the same vibe as the shorts, now THAT would be great, those were a lot of fun, and not as if they were written by stand up comedians like in Boom.

I hope we get a series that's a bit similar to the Sonic Mania and the Chao in Space shorts.  The humor there was actually funny and they seem to capture the positive aspects of the Sonic universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Rabbitearsblog said:

I hope we get a series that's a bit similar to the Sonic Mania and the Chao in Space shorts.  The humor there was actually funny and they seem to capture the positive aspects of the Sonic universe.

Maybe It's just wishful thinking on my part, but I believe Boom was the way it was because of CN, 11 minutes comedies are kind of their thing, and they still neglected the show. So it's a different case now? 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

Maybe It's just wishful thinking on my part, but I believe Boom was the way it was because of CN, 11 minutes comedies are kind of their thing, and they still neglected the show. So it's a different case now? 

Maybe.  From what I've seen with Netflix, they seem to treat their animated shows a bit better (although there was still that whole controversy about cancelling Santa Clarita Diet).  So maybe, they might actually start making full 20 minute episodes instead of 11 minute episodes like they did with Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Big-C said:

Its pretty much how all normal action/adventure series' tend to function. The fact that this needs so much clarification has always felt a little embarrassing to me. I don't enjoy the fact that Sonic's the only outlier when it comes to remembering balance but thats what happens when a series revels in being inconsistent.

• Thumbs Up 2

When you relay on to much comedy to drive a plot you get 11 minute episodes. I could not see boom episodes doing well/ being interesting unless they took out most the comedy. The only time I think they pushed pass the 11 min mark was when shadow came around. And that was a semi nice balance of action but still humor. Tails so help me if youve been confusing L brackets and T brackets this whole time!

When you have a actual plot you can extend it. Sort of like the new transformers netflix series. Now that is a good blend of humor when its there and action. But still its more so a action show.

• Thumbs Up 1

You get 11 minute episodes when you decide to make a series with 11 minute episodes. It's not like they wrote a bunch of scripts first and suddenly realized they were all 11 minutes long.

• Thumbs Up 5

The fact of the matter is whether this series is lighthearted or focuses more on drama, someone is going to be pissed. This is Sonic, nobody is ever fucking happy with this series no matter what it does. 

So rather than worrying about its tone, I'm gonna hope that whatever it sets it out to do, it actually does it well. Doesn't really matter what the tone is if it's just as mediocre as most Sonic shows tend to be, nostalgia be damned. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

The fact of the matter is whether this series is lighthearted or focuses more on drama, someone is going to be pissed. This is Sonic, nobody is ever fucking happy with this series no matter what it does. 

So rather than worrying about its tone, I'm gonna hope that whatever it sets it out to do, it actually does it well. Doesn't really matter what the tone is if it's just as mediocre as most Sonic shows tend to be, nostalgia be damned. 

Atm I am I am going into it thinking it will be medicore like most sonic media. It could grow on me. True Sonics varying degrees of tone urk a lot. Growing up in the early 90s i was used to him being more cool and collected. Most younger people are used to the comedy aspect.

18 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Atm I am I am going into it thinking it will be medicore like most sonic media. It could grow on me. True Sonics varying degrees of tone urk a lot. Growing up in the early 90s i was used to him being more cool and collected. Most younger people are used to the comedy aspect.

IT will most likely be pretty mediocre yea, but I can get some good bits out mediocre stuff at least. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Sonic was still a comedic character in most of the adaptations in the 1990s. Even in the freedom fighters cartoon, he was probably the jokiest character in it.  Of course, that wasn’t the case in the games, but what can I say; I along with many other Americans formed my perception of Sonic based on its adaptations.  Sonic to me was the zippy dude who said “way past cool” and called Robotnik “Robuttnik”, among other teasing.   

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Sonic was still a comedic character in most of the adaptations in the 1990s. Even in the freedom fighters cartoon, he was probably the jokiest character in it.  Of course, that wasn’t the case in the games, but what can I say; I along with many other Americans formed my perception of Sonic based on its adaptations.  Sonic to me was the zippy dude who said “way past cool” and called Robotnik “Robuttnik”, among other teasing.   

I mean. The japanese media at the time had Sonic as Spiderman in hedgehog form in largely a gag manga setting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Its pretty much how all normal action/adventure series' tend to function. The fact that this needs so much clarification has always felt a little embarrassing to me. I don't enjoy the fact that Sonic's the only outlier when it comes to remembering balance but thats what happens when a series revels in being inconsistent.

Every Sonic game has jokes in it except like two of them but people will remind you about those two forever any time you ponder about something even slightly less sitcomy. It's pretty grating. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

A lot of people simply don't care about Sonic plot, and whenever it tries to have it, it does it badly. So the logic is the series should just be as simple as possible if it can't really handle trying to plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

A lot of people simply don't care about Sonic plot, and whenever it tries to have it, it does it badly. So the logic is the series should just be as simple as possible if it can't really handle trying to plot.

What about games like the Sonic Adventure series which had a plot and was actually pretty successful with it?

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

What about games like the Sonic Adventure series which had a plot and was actually pretty successful with it?

That honestly depends on who you ask, it was less "successful" and more "passable" and even then, most revisits on Sonic Adventure (and its sequel) nowadays, the plot is sound on paper, but it's presentation isn't really up to snuff. Its less the plot itself, and more how the plot is presented to the player.

Someone said it best; Sonic plots sound better when you're reading them rather than actually experiencing them through the game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It’s important to remember that the experience of the Adventure era plots—SA2 and Heroes least so—entailed a lot of ambiguity up front, meant to be revealed slowly and through multiple clues and discoveries.  They’re complex, arguably, but enjoyable is a matter of opinion.  Especially when the games’ cinematic quality is spotty.  Meanwhile with something like S3&K, plot is less complex, and there’s not a lot to enjoy but it also is understated to the point it’s not irritating even if it does nothing good for you.

That, of course, refers to games.  When they decide on making a TV show, plot is more important.  Exactly how detailed and exactly how serious are points of contention, but obviously they need something.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd honestly take a corny anime story over something drowning in irony. I used to hate 3D Sonic stories until we got an alternative that was immensely less likable and charming.

Generally I think we all just want good writing lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

It really all comes down to a matter of preference lmao; if you can't stand Anime or "ironic writing", then its really not going to matter how good or bad the writing is, you'll just hate it on principal. 

• Thumbs Up 3