Awoo.

Do you think the Sonic Mania Adventures shorts could be made into an actual animated TV series?

manoffewwords

The speechless classic Sonic styled animated series 'Sonic Mania Adventures' has had 6 short 2-3 minute episodes so far that you can watch online.

But is there potential for a complete TV series out of this formula similar to SATAM, Sonic X, Sonic Boom, etc?

14 minutes ago, manoffewwords said:

The speechless classic Sonic styled animated series 'Sonic Mania Adventures' has had 6 short 2-3 minute episodes so far that you can watch online.

But is there potential for a complete TV series out of this formula similar to SATAM, Sonic X, Sonic Boom, etc?

If this was the first half of the 1990s, I would say yes.  Not being that, I would say no.  If they could be said to work, that would be because they’d be cheap to make, but Sonic at the time of Mania Adventures was too niche to sustain a TV show, and still is.    Especially since Classic Sonic isn’t the main one they’re marketing.

On that note, I think Team Sonic Racing: Overdrive crosses the line of what can be done well through mime.  Not totally, so I still enjoyed it, but Boom proved, to me at least, that Sonic can be much funnier with voice acting.  It had a lot of problems, but the potential is there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once you get to the TV animation pipeline, several things would change. They most likely wouldn’t keep it silent, and the animation definitely wouldnt stay as fluid and dynamic... Just kinda how the TV animation industry is right now, unless they pour tons of money into it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure if the animation market is into making TV series that consist of mostly animated shorts right now.  I mean, I would love to see a Sonic Mania series be made, but as far as I know, I haven't really seen any current animated shows that consist of mostly 5 minute shorts (I could be wrong on this though since I haven't seen every new animated series released).  That's why I miss the days where we had anthology series like "The What a Cartoon Show" and "Oh Yeah! Cartoons" where they have different animated shorts in a 30 minute time slot.  They could probably do the same thing with Sonic Mania with having different shorts in a 30 minute time slot, but as far as I know, I haven't seen an animated anthology series for years.

The entire reason Mania Adventures worked so well is because it was just a compilation of shorts, when you turn it into a TV series it becomes this thing that you have to try and make a plot around AND work out the characters emotions in 11 or 22 minutes.

And if you're only referring to 2-3 minutes it wouldn't work on TV since times have changed to where they want you to watch things longer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the creativity allowed by the shorts format they did with Mania was already being stretched thin by the time the TSR shorts were made, when most of the episode would be characters milling around not doing anything of note until one of them makes a meme face. To try and stretch that out into even the 90s "seven minute segment x3" structure for a single episode of a television show would be an extremely tall order. 

Pink Panther did it, I don't see why not. But as mentioned earlier, Mania Adventures is still kinda niche and Classic himself is not the main one. I don't think it's impossible, but it may not be worth the effort.

Another thing i thought of is a mainline modern Sonic show with about a 2-3 minute short of Classic at the end. Then again, that's extra effort that may not be worth it. That's more effort on more separate stories, one that has to be constantly condensed.

Unless there's suddenly some huge worldwide demand for Classic, best to keep him as internet shorts.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

Pink Panther did it, I don't see why not. But as mentioned earlier, Mania Adventures is still kinda niche and Classic himself is not the main one. I don't think it's impossible, but it may not be worth the effort.

Another thing i thought of is a mainline modern Sonic show with about a 2-3 minute short of Classic at the end. Then again, that's extra effort that may not be worth it. That's more effort on more separate stories, one that has to be constantly condensed.

Unless there's suddenly some huge worldwide demand for Classic, best to keep him as internet shorts.

I agree.  Since Classic Sonic is not in high demand right now, making a Sonic Mania TV series about Classic Sonic probably won't earn it high ratings.  At the moment, it's best to just leave it as the online shorts format as it is.