Awoo.

What if Saban Entertainment dubbed Sonic X?

EmTiven01

Everyone knows how the 4Kids dub of Sonic X turned out, but what if Saban, the company behind Power Rangers and the English dubs of the first three Digimon series were behind it instead? How much censorship would there have been in comparison? And what would've been the voice cast?

I feel like some changes would have still been made but it'd probably have been more accurate. 

I could see Neil Kaplan voicing Eggman maybe Davis's VA as Sonic in general whoever tended to be in their LA voice cast. Ironically Kirk Thornton might still have ended up voicing Shadow. 

I would imagine the required censorship would have been about the same, the dub script probably would have been a bit more accurate, but the changes would have been funnier. Voice cast would probably be similar to how the series is now, and probably a LOT better voice directed.

I can't think of any context where the end result wouldn't have been even worse than what we ended up with. The Digimon dub (at least Adventure 01's) was well-received and still is well-received because a handful of people were specifically dedicated to making it as good as they could and constantly fought to keep the show from being butchered for the US market like Fox wanted. The fact that Saban was involved is almost immaterial. For evidence of what happened when those people stopped fighting so hard to keep the quality up, you need only look at Adventure 02's dub when many of the creative people involved with 01's left.

Then also consider that Sonic X is pretty shit even in Japanese, and that a not-irrelevant portion of the changes to the show were done before 4Kids even got it, and that while the voice direction was frequently terrible and some of the casting decisions were atrocious (Griffith, Green), they did very much get some of the roles right (Ortiz and Pollock) and got some people who weren't just randos out of their usual stable of talent and could do their roles even with crappy direction and poor scripts.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

I can't think of any context where the end result wouldn't have been even worse than what we ended up with. The Digimon dub (at least Adventure 01's) was well-received and still is well-received because a handful of people were specifically dedicated to making it as good as they could and constantly fought to keep the show from being butchered for the US market like Fox wanted. The fact that Saban was involved is almost immaterial. For evidence of what happened when those people stopped fighting so hard to keep the quality up, you need only look at Adventure 02's dub when many of the creative people involved with 01's left.

Then also consider that Sonic X is pretty shit even in Japanese, and that a not-irrelevant portion of the changes to the show were done before 4Kids even got it, and that while the voice direction was frequently terrible and some of the casting decisions were atrocious (Griffith, Green), they did very much get some of the roles right (Ortiz and Pollock) and got some people who weren't just randos out of their usual stable of talent and could do their roles even with crappy direction and poor scripts.

100% disagree in the Japanese Sonic X being shit!
I really enjoyed it and the series appears to be well regarded my many as one of the most popular animated series of Sonic next to Satam and the OVA.

Sonic Boom was well received too but I personally prefer Sonic animated series to be more action based (Sonic X, Satam, OVA) over pure comedy shows like AOSTH or Sonic Boom.

• 1 month later...