Awoo.

Things you hated as a kid, but enjoy now

Assuming most of us are adults or close to adult age, are there any things you hated as a kid, but enjoy now? I have an entire list for me!

Foods:

• Black licorice. I love it so much now, which makes my mom glad that she can enjoy it with someone lol. People my age tend to see it as "old people candy", like spice drops, which I also love now. Hated these all as a kid though. I've also imported salmiakki and that's pretty good too.
  • Dried fruits. As a toddler I ate raisins, then went through a long "Eww!" phase about them. Took until adulthood to like them again, as well as love dried fruits. Still never had prunes but I don't desire the effects of them. xD
  • Fish. Maybe the smell turned me off as a kid. It's so good though, with health benefits, and I feel bad I ignored it for so long. Still don't like shellfish though.
  • I used to prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate; now it's highly the opposite.
  • Alcoholic drinks. Now before anyone says anything, I mean the parents giving their curious kid the tiniest sip, because they know the kid will go "Blehhh!" and spit it out lol. I don't drink alcohol really but certain drinks do give a unique taste, at least when mixed with other things, that I find enjoyable occasionally.
  • Coconut. I still can't handle certain coconut stuff, but most things with it I enjoy a lot now!
  • Most vegetables lol.

Something I still don't like much: coffee or tea. Not counting sweet tea or ice tea, which is just sugar-water at that point. Also not counting Starbucks drinks that are glorified milk. But actual coffee or tea... can't do it much. Only in small amounts. Maybe in a few years I'll like them.

Foods I loved as a kid but hate now: Hot dogs. Except the Ball Park brand, I love those.

Video games:

I used to be loyal to only the platform/adventure type games. Now I also like some RPGs, which I previously hated, as well as some dungeon crawlers, strategy, and puzzle games. Still can't get into shooting games though.

Activities:

Being outdoors. Used to sorta hate it, now I enjoy it, as long as the weather is decent lol.

Organizing things also.

Clothing/style:

My mom was strict with what I wore. I always wore such plain and boring clothes in drab colors like dark blue or grey. I was so jealous of other kids getting to wear bright red or yellow. Nowadays, I enjoy a wardrobe in many muted earth-tones and dark colors. I don't feel a need to go total neon but sometimes it is nice for a change.

Music:

Hated slow ballads as a kid, and most hip-hop songs. Nowadays I'm more open minded and enjoy them.

How about you guys?

Zelda. I don't know what was wrong with me before.

I seriously used to dislike Zelda games, and I was never quite sure why that was. On paper, the games sounded right up my street. Puzzles, adventuring, secrets, fantasy worlds and brilliant music... Zelda games seemed like something I would love. But I didn't. I'd tried to play Ocarina of Time plenty but just couldn't enjoy it. ALttP, the original NES game and it's sequel... Nope. I tried Wind Waker and Major's Mask very briefly when a friend had them too. I enjoyed watching him play those games, but still couldn't jive with them when I had the controller in my own hands.

Over the years I finally started to enjoy the games. First with Twilight Princess and later with OoT3D and ALBW. I've gone back to most of the rest of the series now and in the whole I love the games. The only ones that I dislike still are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. MM because I really dislike the pressure of the three day cycle hindering your ability to explore and take on dungeons at my own pace, and WW because... Sailing is a snooze fest, the dungeons are piss easy and the artstyle is just bleurgh. Like I really, really just can't stand Wind Waker.

But yeah, all of the Zelda games that I enjoy I would rate as amongst my favourite games on any given platform even though I used to find them terribly boring to play.

• My Emmerdoods 1

8 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Zelda. I don't know what was wrong with me before.

I seriously used to dislike Zelda games, and I was never quite sure why that was. On paper, the games sounded right up my street. Puzzles, adventuring, secrets, fantasy worlds and brilliant music... Zelda games seemed like something I would love. But I didn't. I'd tried to play Ocarina of Time plenty but just couldn't enjoy it. ALttP, the original NES game and it's sequel... Nope. I tried Wind Waker and Major's Mask very briefly when a friend had them too. I enjoyed watching him play those games, but still couldn't jive with them when I had the controller in my own hands.

Over the years I finally started to enjoy the games. First with Twilight Princess and later with OoT3D and ALBW. I've gone back to most of the rest of the series now and in the whole I love the games. The only ones that I dislike still are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. MM because I really dislike the pressure of the three day cycle hindering your ability to explore and take on dungeons at my own pace, and WW because... Sailing is a snooze fest, the dungeons are piss easy and the artstyle is just bleurgh. Like I really, really just can't stand Wind Waker.

But yeah, all of the Zelda games that I enjoy I would rate as amongst my favourite games on any given platform even though I used to find them terribly boring to play.

In all fairness, Zelda II for NES was... very questionable. But I understand that video games were still in an early state back then, in the mainstream sense anyway, and game devs really didn't know what people wanted or what made a good game. Maybe if they branded the game under a different IP, it'd either do better, or have become forgotten. But it's so unlike any other Zelda game, it's bizarre.

I'm not a Zelda fan, exactly. Zelda was the game I have nostalgia of watching my older brother and dad play. And I'd enjoy them play and memorize all they did, to the point I was second-hand playing the games lol. Only game I played myself, was... Wind Waker. xD And I really liked it although I didn't finish it. Maybe the easiness of it is why I liked it. And the art style was cute to me.

Breakfast: Use to make me sick as a kid. Even nowadays I won't have a proper one on a regular morning before work. Hell, I use to hate eggs entirely.

Though, on one of my college visits in my junior year of high school, my Dad took me to this dinner he knew in the area. Shit changed my perspective entirely. Made me realize what an actual breakfast was instead of some pre-cracked egg yoke and a few frozen sausage patties. Now, I like to go crazy on weekends and make a full on meal if I'm up early enough. Not to mention how I will never pass up putting an egg on something now lol.

Actually, there's a lot of popular foods that I simply hated as a kid that I love now. Sushi, burritos, hot dogs, ect.

Watching Sports: Now I never actually hated sports, but I did hate watching them. If I wasn't playing, I didn't care. Thinking this was mainly due to my family being hugely into them and subsequently dragging me to every single event in the process.

Like, every Friday my mom would pick me and my brother up from school and take us straight to the train station so that we could catch my cousin's high school football game that night. Shit drove me insane.

Nowadays, I love staying up to date with my favorite teams and enjoying the overall experience that comes with that. It probably all has to do with my college experience as I had roommates that thrived off it all. They showed me first hand the joys of supporting a team. To the point where I actually began looking forward to things like college football gameday every Saturday. There was just an energy to it all that I never really saw as a kid. The pre-games, your team winning, the painful losses... it was just, fun.

Guys made me even like watching golf lol.

Games that weren't on a Nintendo console: Now this one is a bit of a cheat. My very first game console was a PS1 and I loved the shit out of it. Went on to get a PS2 though, at that point, I sort of fell out of gaming for a year or two there. What ever games I did end up getting for the PS2 were ones my parents picked up for me (for birthdays and what not). They were your Maddens and NBAs that I didn't really touch (and midnight club which I did like iirc). Only remember ever asking for one game specifically for the thing and it was some Hot Wheels title I had played over at a friend's house. I just didn't really care about games back then. Thinking back... I really did miss out lol.

Though, at some point I found myself wanting to get back into it and, at the time, my friend group was split between the Xbox and GC. After much debating (and Nintendo lowering the price of the GC to $100 with Melee included lol), I went with the GC and never looked back. I lost days to Melee and became a Nintendo nut. While I do believe a part of it was me trying to justify my purchase to my other friend group, I did enjoy that lunchbox immensely.

This obsession led me directly to the Wii which I stanned the ever living hell out of on the playground lol. Again, my friend group was split at the time between it and the 360 so I rode that Nintendrone life hard. Even went as far as to parrot some of my least favorite arguments of all time like "Microsoft and Sony only care about graphics" and "every game on those systems look like brown and gray messes that promote violence". Like holy fuck, that was the actual trash I was saying back then lol.

Needless to say, ya'll know that I'm no longer like that... at all. All it took was a week or two of playing Unleashed HD and Halo 3 to shut my dumbass up. Now, I look back to those three years of my life in horror lol.

• Fist Bump 1

Anisettes. Before I tried one around Christmas time last month, I was still under the first impression that they had an extremely strong anise flavor. They have a bit of the extract in the cookie, but most of it is in the icing/frosting we put on them. It wasn't bad-- definitely not like I remembered. Perhaps there was enough sweetness and cookie to mellow out the... bitterness? It was very strong, it just wasn't an overload like I expected, and was reminiscent of candy.

I heard kids are more sensitive to bitter tastes, and that definitely was the last time I had them. So maybe that influenced my aversion to them?

Beef. Even before I was born, I would not tolerate it; when my mom was pregnant with me, she would smell someone cooking burgers on the grill and feel like she was about to puke. That sucked, because she likes burgers and roast beef sandwiches.

As a kid, I didn't really eat it, and never cared for dishes containing it, like tacos, burgers, steak, but I was fine with chicken, pork and seafood. One day I came home from a field trip and ate some cube steak, to my mom's amazement. Slowly, I began incorporating it into my diet. Now one of my favorite fast food meals are cheese burgers.

• Absolutely 1

7 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Games that weren't on a Nintendo console: Now this one is a bit of a cheat. My very first game console was a PS1 and I loved the shit out of it. Went on to get a PS2 though, at that point, I sort of fell out of gaming for a year or two there. What ever games I did end up getting for the PS2 were ones my parents picked up for me (for birthdays and what not). They were your Maddens and NBAs that I didn't really touch (and midnight club which I did like iirc). Only remember ever asking for one game specifically for the thing and it was some Hot Wheels title I had played over at a friend's house. I just didn't really care about games back then. Thinking back... I really did miss out lol.

Though, at some point I found myself wanting to get back into it and, at the time, my friend group was split between the Xbox and GC. After much debating (and Nintendo lowering the price of the GC to $100 with Melee included lol), I went with the GC and never looked back. I lost days to Melee and became a Nintendo nut. While I do believe a part of it was me trying to justify my purchase to my other friend group, I did enjoy that lunchbox immensely.

This obsession led me directly to the Wii which I stanned the ever living hell out of on the playground lol. Again, my friend group was split at the time between it and the 360 so I rode that Nintendrone life hard. Even went as far as to parrot some of my least favorite arguments of all time like "Microsoft and Sony only care about graphics" and "every game on those systems look like brown and gray messes that promote violence". Like holy fuck, that was the actual trash I was saying back then lol.

Needless to say, ya'll know that I'm no longer like that... at all. All it took was a week or two of playing Unleashed HD and Halo 3 to shut my dumbass up. Now, I look back to those three years of my life in horror lol.

I started out liking Sega and Nintendo. Once Sega pulled out of hardware, I became sorta Nintendronish.

I lived in an area where everyone was anti-Nintendo. So I would look up info about popular Xbox and PS games online, and pretend to have played them lmao. I was such a wannabe. But I was desperate to make friends. In reality, to this day I can't stand FPS type games most of the time, and while Sony had tons of variety on their consoles, Xbox went hardcore "brown and grey violent games" because their playerbase wanted it. Anything that wasn't, was on other consoles anyway.

Unleashed is a Sonic game so it doesn't really count as not being that, but it does suck that Wii got an inferior version. It sucks that Nintendo has so much potential but they just refuse to budge, refuse to adapt to new technology, refuse to be on par with the other consoles graphic capabilities, online services... but I love their franchises too much to abandon them.

• 2 weeks later...

I hated Pinto beans.

I hated Nintendo fans believe it or not die-hard Nintendo fans weren't the nicest (I'm pretty sure they were just teasing me)

I hated anything to do with Resident Evil why because as i got older all my friends had a copy and i didn't.

My mother knew video games and acting was my life so i told i just had to have it.

She gave it to me. When i played it i understood why she didn't get it for me sooner so i did what any stupid idiot would do i threw it away.

I hated Sonic Unleashed.(This was when i knew little about it) I saw the first cutscene and was enraged at what they did to my favorite hedgehog.

Of course no one in High School really cared about the next Sonic game but I did.  I wanted to know what was behind this shitty deviant art monster.

When i finished the game of course i grew more respect for it. Even though the puzzles were a bit boring. I learned to like it over time (unlike Sonic Underground).

3 hours ago, Redemption said:

I hated Nintendo fans believe it or not die-hard Nintendo fans weren't the nicest (I'm pretty sure they were just teasing me)

Some of them get very defensive and fanboyish over any criticisms at all, so I understand that.

Swat Kats on Cartoon Network. Cats, mechs and explosions. How did I not like this? Still have to finish the whole series.

Spectacular Spider-man tv show, hated only for the character designs at first. Went back to it and as I learned more about animation, I understood that simpler designs can usually make for much better fluid animation. This show captures everything I envision Spider-man to be in action. Also had a great story. Too bad you know...the good shows always get canceled.

Fish.

Marble Garden Act 1's bass. Listening to the soundtracks not playing really makes all the difference, because I otherwise find that a boring level. 

Taking my time to learn how to draw. Understanding myself as a person and artist is important for me to understand what I want to draw, and properly convey my expressions. I always rushed to make stuff back then, and never refined ideas much until recently.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

Marble Garden Act 1's bass. Listening to the soundtracks not playing really makes all the difference, because I otherwise find that a boring level. 

Taking my time to learn how to draw. Understanding myself as a person and artist is important for me to understand what I want to draw, and properly convey my expressions. I always rushed to make stuff back then, and never refined ideas much until recently.

Sames for Marble Garden. Never cared for the level or its music. Now I like both lol.

Still need to learn to draw tho. >.>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Cheese. I straight up refused to eat it, don't know why. But now? I'd have it with cereal if I could.
  • Star Wars. It was too complicated and "nerdy" for my liking, but my dad dragged me to watch The Force Awakens and I actually liked it! I'm not a hardcore fan but I like the movies I guess.
  • Nicki Minaj. My sister was her biggest fan when she first became famous (Nicki was my first concert because of her lol) but I was the polar opposite. I couldn't stand her but in retrospect, I didn't hate her, I mostly just pretended to because everyone else did. I revisited her music a while ago and, while rap isn't my cup of tea at all, I can appreciate Nicki's talent and personality, especially in her earlier stuff. Ironically enough, I consider Pink Friday (her first album) to be her best work. Bandwagons are one hell of a drug. 🥴

On 3/15/2021 at 8:19 AM, Piko said:
  • Cheese. I straight up refused to eat it, don't know why. But now? I'd have it with cereal if I could.

Just melt it so it gets liquidy.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an odd one, but... Fanfiction.

I used to take it so seriously; it felt like a personal slight that so much trash was being churned out for my favourite series.  Now, I look back on that trash and realise it's hilarious.  I guess my assessment of the general quality of fanfiction hasn't changed, but how I feel about it has; though I'm also more willing to see the promise in certain titles, what they get right amid what they get wrong, and there's some fanfiction I would even qualify as good (or at least interesting).

• Thumbs Up 1