Awoo.

What would you like to see in Sonic Prime?

Piko

As you're probably aware, a new Sonic cartoon is premiering in 2022. We don't know much about it at the moment, which leaves lots of room for speculation. I'd love to hear your hopes and expectations! I'll start:

• Since it's being made by Man Of Action, I expect some, you know, action, but I don't want it to go over the top. I think Sonic's at his best when there's a balance between humour and seriousness; nobody's afraid to goof around and crack a few jokes but there are still stakes.
  • Everyone should have their modern designs albeit with some minor tweaks if needed. I highly doubt there'll be any major redesigns a la Boom.
  • Unpopular opinion alert: I want it to have the current voice cast. Personally I think Boom has some of their greatest work so depending on the tone they would do great. Now put down your pitchforks.
  • I'd like some side characters to appear regularly: Cream, Blaze, the Chaotix, you get the drill.
  • Finally, I have a feeling that Tyson Hesse might be involved. He's worked on a ton of official Sonic media lately including animations. I'd be very surprised if he isn't involved with the cartoon.
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

I definitely agree on the current voice cast (Honestly I feel they're over hated) though since WildBrain is based out of Canada I wouldn't be shocked if Canadian voice talent like Sam Vincent, Tabitha St Germain and Garry Chalk were used for like Sonic, Tails and Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 4

What I want to see in the new cartoon:

• Have the current voice cast, because why not?  They are already voicing the characters, so why not let them voice the characters in this show?  And I think that they are pretty good voice actors for these characters.
  • Have the tone of the show have a nice balance between being humorous and serious.  It doesn't have to be one or the other.  I always think that the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise works best when they are balancing the humor with the serious moments. The last Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon I've seen that had a nice balance between humor and drama was Sonic X and I'm hoping we see that type of tone for the new series.
  • Develop the characters and the plot very well.  One of the biggest issues going on with the video games as of late is that the plots and the characters are poorly written and I wish that they try to write these characters and the stories a bit better.  I'm hoping that the cartoon series would be well written like the IDW comics so that way we would have characters who are well liked and interesting to watch.
  • Don't have SEGA be too involved with this series.  Now, if SEGA were doing a good job with the games at this moment, then I probably wouldn't mind SEGA being heavily involved in this series.  But, because lately SEGA hasn't been doing a good job with the characters and the stories and because their mandates for the characters are a bit ridiculous (having Shadow acting dark and edgy without any character development or not clearly explaining about why only Sonic, Shadow and Silver can go super), I would rather have this series be its own thing and try out plot lines and character interactions that you don't see in the games.
  • Finally, hire some really good writers for this series.  I've mentioned that good writing is the key to having a successful TV series and if this show has lots of good writers on board who know the characters well, then I can see this show being successful.  Some writers I would like to see on this show (if they ever get the chance to write this series) is Ian Flynn, who wrote the comics for years.
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I definitely agree on the current voice cast (Honestly I feel they're over hated) though since WildBrain is based out of Canada I wouldn't be shocked if Canadian voice talent like Sam Vincent, Tabitha St Germain and Garry Chalk were used for like Sonic, Tails and Eggman.

I think SEGA would want to keep it American for the most part, but maybe we could see some Canadian VAs as side characters. I doubt it though, since I think WildBrain is just funding the show; they won’t have much creative control as far as I’m aware.

45 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Don't have SEGA be too involved with this series.  Now, if SEGA were doing a good job with the games at this moment, then I probably wouldn't mind SEGA being heavily involved in this series.  But, because lately SEGA hasn't been doing a good job with the characters and the stories and because their mandates for the characters are a bit ridiculous (having Shadow acting dark and edgy without any character development or not clearly explaining about why only Sonic, Shadow and Silver can go super), I would rather have this series be its own thing and try out plot lines and character interactions that you don't see in the games.

I wouldn’t mind SEGA being closely involved with the show. Previous Sonic cartoons (minus X) barely had any input from them and they ended up straying miles away from the source material. We don’t need a wildly different canon right now; the fandom’s already divided enough as it is.

The IDW comics are overseen by SEGA and while they’re not perfect, they’re pretty good at being their own thing while still being cohesive and faithful to the main series.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Piko said:

I think SEGA would want to keep it American for the most part, but maybe we could see some Canadian VAs as side characters. I doubt it though, since I think WildBrain is just funding the show; they won’t have much creative control as far as I’m aware.

I wouldn’t mind SEGA being closely involved with the show. Previous Sonic cartoons (minus X) barely had any input from them and they ended up straying miles away from the source material. We don’t need a wildly different canon right now; the fandom’s already divided enough as it is.

The IDW comics are overseen by SEGA and while they’re not perfect, they’re pretty good at being their own thing while still being cohesive and faithful to the main series.

I think the IDW's success is due to the good writing with the comic, despite SEGA's heavy mandates on the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it should act as a reboot of the series. With the first few episodes being of the games except improved. Then they can start making original content.

I do think they should keep the current voice actors. It should be serious but also humorous.

I'd like the new cartoon to reach a middle ground with humor and drama like several recently praised cartoons of this era have (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Netflix She-Ra, etc.) Sonic Boom was good for what it was, great even, but I think enough time has passed to see another Sonic cartoon with serial storytelling.

Include some elements of the IDW comics, at least as cameos, if not playing major roles. Feature the human world more. And NOT the “literally just our world” thing in the Movie, but the ORIGINAL human world in the vein of the games.

• Everyone's already gone on and on about the importance of balance in tone so I'll just agree with the sentiment but add on a bit of a snide comment about how that's how most normal action cartoons tend to approach things like Sonic. The fact that we're worried it might lean too far onto one side is very sad and just exemplifies how inconsistent the series has been for so long. Even during the era where they cared about story telling, the tone jump from Adventure 2 to Heroes to Shadow the Hedgehog is a literal up and down roller coaster. Truthfully, this is the only series I'm following where people ever have to worry about this. It's very unfortunate.

• 2D animation. I'm already not getting that because it was announced as a 3D project. The only way I feel I'll be thrown a bone is if they go with something beautifully rendered to the point of looking like Night of the Werehog, stylized kind of like Into the Spider-Verse was, or cell-shaded to emulate something more cartoonishly 2D. My hope for any of those is fairly low though.
  • The entire main cast. I'd also love for them to be appropriately implemented so as to avoid the issues of having who the characters are being ignored just for the sake of making it easier for them to show up. A good way to fix that would just be to have a story that took advantage of all their different occupations. Obviously, that wouldn't mean everyone needs to show up in every episode as an episodic format with a continuing story is very easily done depending on what needs to happen to move the plot along. For me, what I consider to be the entire main cast is everyone that appeared in Sonic Heroes, Silver, Blaze, Orbot, and Cubot. The Babylon Rogues would be a nice surprise addition as well.

• I made mention of it in the last bullet point but again, I'd like for them to go the route of a continuous storyline but utilizing an episodic format. Something like how Steven Universe handled itself and not necessarily how an anime does it. You can't really watch too many individual anime episodes without the direct context of the episodes before it. Sonic Boom did a little of this but the continuity it had was mostly tailored to references to past things. Obviously, something like what Steven Universe did is a bit of a step beyond that, and it's what I prefer. At least for an american cartoon. If it were an anime, then I wouldn't care too much about keeping it episodic.

• An awesome, well animated opening with a kick-ass theme. Not too many of those coming out in American cartoons today, unfortunately. I'd like for the soundtrack to be really good in general. 

• It goes without saying that I'd want it to be well-written but since it always such a toss up, I'll mention the desire anyway. So please, write the characters well. Even a bad story can coast on well-written characters. 
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Snowragnarok said:

Include some elements of the IDW comics, at least as cameos, if not playing major roles.

IDW’s out of the question but a few references here and there would be nice.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:
  • 2D animation. I'm already not getting that because it was announced as a 3D project. The only way I feel I'll be thrown a bone is if they go with something beautifully rendered to the point of looking like Night of the Werehog, stylized kind of like Into the Spider-Verse was, or cell-shaded to emulate something more cartoonishly 2D. My hope for any of those is fairly low though.

I wanted 2D animation too but I don’t mind 3D as long as it looks nice, like you said. I’m sure the show will have the budget to make that happen (or at least make it look slightly better than Boom) since I assume Netflix will be partially funding it; they’ve got heaps of money, why wouldn’t they want to splash out on a brand as big as Sonic?

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:
  • An awesome, well animated opening with a kick-ass theme. Not too many of those coming out in American cartoons today, unfortunately. I'd like for the soundtrack to be really good in general.

Depending on how involved SEGA is with the show, a good soundtrack should be a no brainer. I’m not expecting SA2-tier bangers but it would be a bonus.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing the show needs is to be something that every TV series has neglected since the beginning...

Canon! Canon with the games!

It needs to have the same voices, art style, designs, and line up with the plots of the games. Of course, the show needs better writing than the recent games have had. I thought the stories were interesting up until Lost World (Koopaling clones). I do think Sonic Forces had potential with Infinite and all, but it kind of fell short. Back on topic, I always thought Ian Flyn should write for the games and shows. I've always loved the writing in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, SonicFan2832 said:

One thing the show needs is to be something that every TV series has neglected since the beginning...

Canon! Canon with the games!

It needs to have the same voices, art style, designs, and line up with the plots of the games. Of course, the show needs better writing than the recent games have had. I thought the stories were interesting up until Lost World (Koopaling clones). I do think Sonic Forces had potential with Infinite and all, but it kind of fell short. Back on topic, I always thought Ian Flyn should write for the games and shows. I've always loved the writing in the comics.

I agree that it would be nice to have a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon that actually takes some inspiration from the games.  The closest we had to one was Sonic X, which adapted the Sonic Adventure storylines. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree that it would be nice to have a Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon that actually takes some inspiration from the games.  The closest we had to one was Sonic X, which adapted the Sonic Adventure storylines. 

Yeah, Sonic X was great, but It kind of felt like it went in the direction that some movies based off of other franchises go. You know, take pieces of plots, stitch them together, shake on a little more writing and call it a day. Don't get me wrong, It had a lot of original writing and I loved it, but the recycled plots just didn't feel right. They did better with the Metarex season, because it felt more like the Black Doom plot from Shadow the Hedgehog was more of an inspiration for that season rather than a copied plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

SONIC CHARGE

2012-2014

Cancelled because of SONIC BOOM 

EPISODES:

S1 E1-Beginnings Part 1

S1 E2-Beginnings Part 2

S1 E3-Beginnings Part 3

S1 E4-Beginnings Part 4

S1 E5-No Funny Business

S1 E6-Tunnel Trouble

S1 E7-Sonic Speed

S1 E8-Pyramid Peril

S1 E9-Robot-Raid

S1 E10-Project Shadow Part 1

S1 E11-Project Shadow Part 2

S1 E12-Tutor-Tense

S1 E13-Spy Night

S1 E14-Danger,Danger!!

S1 E15-Electropolis

S1 E16-Romance in the Air

S1 E17-Can’t Hold Back

S1 E18-Fight Ensues!

S1 E19-Secrets Part 1

S1 E20-Secrets Part 2

S1 E21-Cream the Rabbit!

S1 E22-Easter Hunt Time!

S1 E23-No Way Back! Part 1

S1 E24-No Way Back! Part 2

S1 E25-Doomsday Part 1

S1 E26-Doomsday Part 2

Season 2

S2 E1-New Recruits Part 1

S2 E2-New Recruits Part 2

S2 E3-CHAOTIX!

S2 E4-Staying Home Alone

S2 E5-Chaos Emerald Trouble

S2 E6-Speed Over Mach 2!

S2 E7-Knuckles’s Big Change!

S2 E8-No More Monsters!

S2 E9-Fintevus’s Plan

S2 E10-Fang The Sniper!

S2 E11-Echidna Tribe Part 1

S2 E12-Echidna Tribe Part 2

S2 E13-Sticks The Badger!

S2 E14-The Party

S2 E15-Quartz Quest Part 1

S2 E16-Quartz Quest Part 2

S2 E17-Powers Within

S2 E18-Know Your Way

S2 E19-Mighty’s Game!

S2 E20-Can’t Be Captured!

S2 E21-The Great Escape Part 1

S2 E22-The Great Escape Part 2

S2 E23-Fight As One

VOICE ACTORS:

Sonic-Max Mittleman

Tails-Cassandra Lee Morris

Knuckles-Dan Green

Amy- Kira Buckland

Shadow-Jason O’ Mara

Blaze- Sachie Alessio

Rouge-Tricia Helfer

Silver-Yuri Lowenthal

Charmy-Coleen o Shaunessey

Vector-Keith Silversten

Espio-Matthew Mercer

Sticks the badger-Tress Macneille

Mighty the armadillo-Christopher Daniel Barnes

Cream the rabbit-Christine Marie Cabano

Tikal the Echidna- Erica Lindbeck

Ray The Squirrel-Colleen Clinkenbeard

Shade the Echidna-Ashley Hursch 

Dr Fintevus-Jim Cummings

(Short-lived villain, later becomes good)Fang the Sniper-Todd Haberkorn

STORY, REALLY IMPORTANT:

Season 1: Sonic has a different personality than his game counterpart, here he’s more new to the whole freedom fighting thing, also to note, Robotnik isn’t in this series. I know right. But there’s gonna be cameos in the background of the episodes were there’s a picture of robotnik, also in this timeline, robotnik is dead, sorry.

Also again, in the first episode, Sonics home is destroyed by Badniks and his parents are killed by the villain DR FINITEVUS from the comics, yeah I wanted to implement him in this because I thought he would be badass In this show.

Season 1: So, Sonic wants to fight against evil for his parents and the world, and he’s gonna need help too. Throughout episodes 1 to 5 he starts recruiting new friends to fight with him in the battle for Earth. Then he recruits Tails, Knuckles and Amy to fight with him. The villain in season 1 is Chaos. Then, Sonic and co. get new allies on their side including Rouge and Shadow, then at S1 E26 Finitevus builds a secret missile to destroy Station Square, and Sonic,Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow and Rouge try to stop it, They succeed and the day is saved by Sonic Heroes.

season 2 comes Later and happens right after s1....

Season 2:Sonic Heroes realize they are facing a new threat that Sonic has wanting to face for months, Dr finitevus. Now the gang have to start trying to find Fintevus and go defeat him before he takes over the world and possibly the universe. This season has a tiny bit of comedy to it that’s the first season. So, This season introduces The CHAOTIX, Mighty and Ray, Fang the Sniper, and Sticks the Badger.Final battle: So this is gonna be a tiny bit like endgame but here we go: So Sonic Heroes and CHAOTIX Mighty and Ray, Fang, Sticks, and Sonic as Super Sonic goes to defeat Fintevus, Meanwhile, Knuckles is figuring out a way to help by creating a portal with the Master Emerald to another dimension to trap Fintevus in, again we see Sonic Heroes fighting Fintevus forces, everything is going good while Fintevus creates a super dangerous beam that turns people into blocks of metal. In the final climax, Super Sonic and Super Shadow go in the portal to fight Fintevus and Super Sonic sacrifices himself to punch FINITEVUS in the portal, Then FINITEVUS gets vaporized in the portal and dies instantly. Sonic Heroes saves the day once again and part ways, Sonic and Tails watch the sunrise and enjoy it as long as they want now that no evil in station square is a foot, THE END.

•  

I'd like a brand new alternative universe which doesn't interfere with the games to let SONIC game lovers like me in peace with their beloved videogame series!!...

They can do whatever they want, I really don't care as long as the videogames (and so the original SONIC THE HEDGEHOG storyline) go on on its own!!...

• Nice Smile 1

If it is in the Game universe then honestly I hope it's events are important in later games. Maybe not like fully required viewing but they could bring new characters in and have them crossover into the games. 

With the Multiverse angle I'm hoping that at least once a season they visit a previous Sonic cartoon or comic continuity. Imagine a finale that features the SatAM and Archie versions of the Freedom Fighters. 

I'm also hoping since it's CG that they try to make it visually look like the 2012 TMNT cartoon. 

• The title was changed to What would you like to see in Sonic Prime?
On 3/6/2021 at 10:36 PM, King Conne said:

I'd like a brand new alternative universe which doesn't interfere with the games to let SONIC game lovers like me in peace with their beloved videogame series!!...

They can do whatever they want, I really don't care as long as the videogames (and so the original SONIC THE HEDGEHOG storyline) go on on its own!!...

I don't want it to stray too far from the source material since the Sonic franchise is already splintered enough as it is. I'd like it to be similar to the IDW comics: it's faithful to the source material (the IDW comics are set immediately after the events of Forces) while still being its own thing.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:47 PM, SBR2 said:

With the Multiverse angle I'm hoping that at least once a season they visit a previous Sonic cartoon or comic continuity. Imagine a finale that features the SatAM and Archie versions of the Freedom Fighters. 

Although Wildbrain owns the DiC cartoons, I highly doubt SEGA would let them do anything with them. Maybe a few easter eggs but nothing more than that. Archie's completely out of the question for the foreseeable future though.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd be pretty happy if the original VA cast stayed. As far as overall tone, I'd like it to have a similar feel to SatAM. I always felt like it had the perfect balance of drama/serious storylines with a good amount of humour sprinkled in (mostly from Sonic & Antoine). It's also one of the more darker shows, which I enjoy. I would prefer it to not be more on the side of Sonic Boom which is overly funny imo. I enjoy it as a comedy but I'm dying for another series that's more on the dramatic side personally. As far as universe I'm not entirely sure which I'd prefer... I do enjoy the comic universe in SatAM but I wouldn't be that upset if it was canon with the games.

So, I have a list of elements I would want to see (that I also thing the games could benefit from):

• A good balance of Humor and serious moments. I want dramatic tension, characters actions to have impact, interpersonal stuff. Make the characters feel like real 3D characters, not just 2d caricatures making the same kinds of jokes over and over.
  • Bring back fan favourite characters who have been long since neglected, and give some screen time to characters who aren't Sonic, Amy, Tails, Knuckles and Shadow. But make it meaningful, don't just cameo an old character just to have a cameo, or shoehorn in an otherwise pointless scene just so Silver can be in the show.
  • Utilize powerups and transformations as a way of upping stakes, without making them feel too overpowered or easy to abuse. The biggest problem other Sonic shows had was that Sonic could always just go grab a power ring and plow right through whatever thing he was fighting. Sonic X was the worst for that in the first season, knowing the hero is always going to win is already boring and cliché enough, they don't need to also always win the exact same way. Inversely, I don't think the cartoons ever really utilized super forms enough. I'd like to see Super Sonic make a few appearances, and maybe also show off some other transformations, both on Sonic and on other characters.
  • Let someone else be the hero every few episodes. One of the strengths of the Adventure era imo was the diverse roster of characters who could all do their own things, and were all able to contribute in their own ways and succeed by themselves or as a team. Modern Sonic seems to have forgotten that and just has everyone else serve to assist Sonic in being the ONE and ONLY hero, which kinda sucks imo. I think having enemies that Sonic's speed can't combat, but Knuckle's strength, or Silver's telekinesis, or Tails' intellect can is a good thing, Sonic should have weaknesses, and the others should get to show off their own strengths.
  • Story Arcs. As fun as stand alone, non-linear episodes can be, I feel like story telling in general is better and more impactful to the audience when there are stakes, when events have long-term implications, and when we have time to get to know both our heroes and our villians, and that ultimately requires a level of serialisation. I'd much rather have a 3-6 episode arc building up to a villian, showing us why we should fear this villian, why they are a threat, why we should hate them, or sympathise for them, how the heroes are going to take them down, and then the aftermath of the fight; than just get a single episode dropping a random villian of the week and showing 5 minutes of them doing a thing then Sonic kicking their butt, then back to the status quo.

Ultimately these are all just my opinions, and I'll probably enjoy whatever we get either way.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, sassytassie said:

I'd be pretty happy if the original VA cast stayed.

Yeah I hate to tell you this but that's pretty much confirmed to not be happening. Colleen Villard has said she's still voicing Tails in the games but has said she won't be in Prime due to Canadian voice acting laws. So Prime is almost certainly going to have a fully Canadian voice cast.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah I hate to tell you this but that's pretty much confirmed to not be happening. Colleen Villard has said she's still voicing Tails in the games but has said she won't be in Prime due to Canadian voice acting laws. So Prime is almost certainly going to have a fully Canadian voice cast.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about this. And now Roger's gone and Amy's VA (forget her name). That makes me nervous. Casting is so important imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/8/2021 at 4:04 PM, sassytassie said:

Oh yeah I totally forgot about this. And now Roger's gone and Amy's VA (forget her name). That makes me nervous. Casting is so important imo.

Amy’s is Cindy Robinson..

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I'm kinda married to casting Sam Vincent as Sonic so if it's not him I might be a bit disappointed. 

I'm also expecting maybe Spike's actor (Casey Westruk I think is her name?) as Tails maybe Shannon Chan-Kent (Pinkie Pie's singing voice and the bartender in the Sonic movie) as Amy Garry Chalk reprising his role as Eggman from Underground and just something that would make me laugh Brian Drummond as Shadow using his Vegeta Voice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

SONIC CHARGE SEASON 4-Feb-2019/Mar-2019

(Final season)

Episodes:

S4 E1:Back in Action Part 1

S4 E2:Back In Action Part 2

S4 E3:Back in Action Part 3

S4 E4:Treasure Beyond!

S4 E5:The Nightmare!

S4 E6:Rise of Dark Gaia Part 1

S4 E7:Rise of Dark Gaia Part 2

S4 E8:Sonic’s Rage!

S4 E9:Mighty’s Competition!

S4 E10:No Gaming Matter

S4 E11:Grooge Nearby!

S4 E12:Final Encounter!

S4 E13:Dark Gaia Defeat Part 1

S4 E14:Dark Gaia Defeat Part 2

S4 E15:Parting Ways Once Again!

Voice Actors:

Sonic-(Max Mittleman)returning from s1&2

Tails-Cassandra Lee Morris

Knuckles-(Dan Green) returning from s1&2

Amy-(Kira Buckland) returning from s1&2

Shadow-(Jason O’ Mara)returning from s1&2

Blaze-Erica Lindbeck

Rouge-Tricia Helfer

Silver-Yuri Lowenthal

Charmy-Coleen o Shaunessey

Vector-Keith Silversten

Espio-Matthew Mercer

Sticks the badger-(Tress Macneille)returning from s1 &2

Mighty the armadillo-Christopher Daniel Barnes

Cream the rabbit-Christine Marie Cabano

Tikal the Echidna-Sachie Alessio

Ray The Squirrel-Colleen Clinkenbeard 

Fang the Sniper-Todd Haberkorn

(Returning characters)

Bunnie Rabbot: Lenore Zann

Rotor Walrus: Crispin Freeman

Fiona Fox: Maryke Hendrickse 

Scourge The Hedgehog: Nolan North

Marine the Raccoon: Tara Strong

Jet The Hawk: Arnie Pantoja

Wave the Swallow: Nicole Sullivan

Storm The Albatross: Brad Garrett

Villains:

(DARK GAIA)

(Season with introduction to SONIC THE WEREHOG)

Final season of the fan made series

SONIC CHARGE

dedicated to the fans!