Awoo.

How About More Games in the Sonic Rush Format?

SonicFanForLife

One reason why the main Sonic games seem so spaced apart is that they aren't making the smaller handheld focused games anymore. They should make more games like Sonic Rush. It was like the classic game play, but with the modern mechanics like the boost, stomp,and the homing attack. You could run so fast you could just feel the "rush" of speed! (Pun intended) If they made more games like that, but had the focus that Mania had, with Dimps being the developer, of course, I'm sure it would be received well.

Should a new game like that have 3D models like Sonic Rush, or use sprites and artwork like the Sonic Advance series?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I would love the Rush formula to come back, it would give us something to play in between main games. But with handheld gaming being more or less a thing of the past (except the Switch), I doubt it will.

3 hours ago, Piko said:

I would love the Rush formula to come back, it would give us something to play in between main games. But with handheld gaming being more or less a thing of the past (except the Switch), I doubt it will.

Well, most of the handheld games have been on Nintendo systems. The Nintendo Switch is half handheld. So, why not? Anyway, they could be released on all platforms. The small games don't need to be exclusive to handheld devices.

They need to make a modern 2D game (with 2.5D graphics or whatever) that isn't about nostalgia and doesn't suck. They haven't tried that since Sonic 4* and we all know how that went. That was a half-assed attempt. They need to step it up and make it as loved as Mania.

*Not counting handheld ports/versions of home console games

5 hours ago, Angyu said:

They need to make a modern 2D game (with 2.5D graphics or whatever) that isn't about nostalgia and doesn't suck. They haven't tried that since Sonic 4* and we all know how that went. That was a ********* attempt. They need to step it up and make it as loved as Mania.

*Not counting handheld ports/versions of home console games

I have always liked that Sega has kept the Sonic games clean and family-friendly after Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog. I wish that was reflected in the Sonic community. We can have our opinions without the language, can't we?

Sonic Team has shown they're not capable of making a good game that's even mostly 2D, entirely 2D? We're looking at another Sonic 4, best case scenario, worst case scenario, more of Classic from Forces where the damn game doesn't even work the way it should at any point

Perhaps a defeatist way to look at it, but let's see they're still capable of making good Sonic games before we demand a return to any formula. Though unlikely they'll be returning, I would rather see the team behind Mania handle the 2D stuff from now on, because Sonic Team clearly has no idea why it worked

39 minutes ago, SaturnWolf said:

Sonic Team has shown they're not capable of making a good game that's even mostly 2D, entirely 2D? We're looking at another Sonic 4, best case scenario, worst case scenario, more of Classic from Forces where the **** game doesn't even work the way it should at any point

Perhaps a defeatist way to look at it, but let's see they're still capable of making good Sonic games before we demand a return to any formula. Though unlikely they'll be returning, I would rather see the team behind Mania handle the 2D stuff from now on, because Sonic Team clearly has no idea why it worked

So much for my speech...

I think all the games by Dimps were good. Even the 3DS version of Lost World was actually pretty good because of them. I'm talking about the physics and game play of Lost World, not the story and design.

Considering the Rush games were 'meh' at best in my book, it's a 'No' from me.

I don't think Dimps ever made a 'Great' Sonic game. They started decent with the Advance games, then slowly but surely went downhill. Maybe they were taking inspiration from Sonic Team too much in that regard.

The gameplay of 3DS Lost World is exactly why I hate and and have never gotten past like, the 4th level to this day

The design of a game is...kind of important, dude. If you make a game that makes me physically dizzy to play and have levels that take like, 15 minutes to complete because of an annoying gimmick like pushing a snowman's head around, then I don't know if I necessarily trust you with future endeavors if that game is the most recent point of reference for where your head is at

4 hours ago, SaturnWolf said:

The gameplay of 3DS Lost World is exactly why I hate and and have never gotten past like, the 4th level to this day

The design of a game is...kind of important, dude. If you make a game that makes me physically dizzy to play and have levels that take like, 15 minutes to complete because of an annoying gimmick like pushing a snowman's head around, then I don't know if I necessarily trust you with future endeavors if that game is the most recent point of reference for where your head is at

I meant that the version of Lost World that Dimps helped develop was better than the Wii U version is terms of game play. The Wii U version had better visuals, of course. Anyway, I didn't think Lost World was that bad. When I finished the game, it gave me hard mode, so the game lasted me that much longer until I completed it 100%. S rank on everything. As I was saying in another post; people are way to quick to judge a game when they didn't even finish it! If you didn't even play past the fourth level, how did you even push a snowman's head? Did you just watch a review video? If I played games based on other people's reviews, I would have missed out on a lot of good Sonic games. If you actually finish Sonic Lost World, you might change your tune.

If you opened yourself up to these different play styles like Lost World's physics, Black Knight's sword play, and Unleashed's werehog, you just might find yourself having fun, instead of putting down a game you didn't even finish. Not every game can be the best, exactly the same, and just so, or else it would get kind of boring after a while, right?

Personally I've been thinking if they try a new gameplay style for the mainline games they should move Boost gameplay to new Rush Games. Honestly a Rush the way it was isn't very likely but using Boost Gameplay as a way to revive it would be a really good way to both give us new Rush games and keep the Boost formula alive for those of us who like it.

Honestly in general I think they need to start assigning teams to do smaller games while the main Sonic Team works on mainline games. It'd help ensure better quality and still see a Sonic game come out on a regular basis.

Frozen Factory is the 4th world in Lost World, so SaturnWolf may have meant that by "4th level".

Even then, I can only 'open myself up' to Werehog, Black Knight, etc so much before realising they're hot garbage. There's ways to mix things up without missing the point. 

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Even then, I can only 'open myself up' to Werehog, Black Knight, etc so much before realising they're hot garbage. There's ways to mix things up without missing the point. 

I think that "garbage" is a bit of an overstatement. And if you don't finish the game, you'll miss the point all right. They may have been different experiences than past Sonic games, but they can be fun if you give them a chance. Yes, the werehog levels did get repetitive at times, but it derserves more credit. Finishing the time attack on the Eggmanland level was really hard, but it was a fun challenge and was all the more satisfying when I completed it. Its seems to me that nobody likes being faced with a good challenge. Everybody just adores Sonic Generations, probably because that game just hands you a S rank for looking at it.

If you want the classic experience that most everybody agrees on and is super easy to play, then why don't you just stick to playing Sonic 1 every time they rerelease it.

If I'm not having fun with Werehog after an hour of his cruddy levels, I'm not going to enjoy the gauntlet that is Eggmanland; the unlockable moves really don't make that much of an impact. I say this as someone who has beaten Unleashed more than once. Often Unleashed's challenge comes from blatant trial and error, or the game's graphics engine struggling to keep up and crippling basic platformer design elements like a drop shadow. 

People adore Generations because it's a well-designed game that cuts out the fat that bloated Unleashed, and optimises it better for the hardware of the time. I think the level design was far from perfect, but it was certainly a lot more balanced than Unleashed, even if the ranks were far too generous. 

It's not enough to 'be different', it has to be actually good, too. I can want Sonic to be consistent without it literally being Sonic 1 again, that's a hilarious overreaction to what I said.

If you didn't like it, that's fine with me. I just don't like how a lot of people will just listen to what reviews like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes have to say and then don't even give these games a try for themselves. Everybody should make their own opinion about the games, so that's why I don't think these review sites should even exist. All the controversal games would benefit from that and we wouldn't end up with a game like Sonic Forces where it seems like they're trying to please everybody at the same time, which didn't quite work. I didn't mean that everyone must like every Sonic game. I just wish more people would think for themselves, finish the game before giving their opinion about it, and be a bit more tolerant of a challenge.

You cannot convince me to go back to Lost World, the Special Stages make me dizzy, the gyroscope controls in general are annoying and add nothing to the game, and the levels go on for way, way, WAY too long; which is to say nothing of the fact that on a small handheld like the 3DS, my hands tense and cramp up a lot with the kinds of things they ask you to do

My point to all this is, show me that Sonic Teams/Dimps is still capable of making a good game that isn't bogged down by stupid gimmicks and then maybe, MAYBE I'll be on board with a new Rush-type game; and I'm someone who adores Unleashed, probably even more than most

11 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Considering the Rush games were 'meh' at best in my book, it's a 'No' from me.

I don't think Dimps ever made a 'Great' Sonic game. They started decent with the Advance games, then slowly but surely went downhill. Maybe they were taking inspiration from Sonic Team too much in that regard.

And Dimps was kicked off after their Lost World port. Still, “meh” is a higher standard than what’s being done today.

I'm alright with another true Rush style game, but more so another Advance 1 style game personally.

Unfortunately Dimps, much like Sega, were filling their later titles with elements that drag it down. Colors DS was decent, but threw me off hard since it plays just like Rush but without the tricks system, half the fun gone for me. Didn't really like the wisps as much in this version. 3DS Generations for the modern stages is also pretty much a watered down Rush. 3DS Lost World I find the controls much better than the console, but man, that level design and length is ridiculous post first stage.

Looking at their track record now, the main issue is that these guys never know how much is too much when it comes to introducing new elements and end up mostly souring what made its predecessors fun in the first place. As others stated, as it stands now, I wouldn't trust them with a new Rush anytime soon. Assuming they don't do another diet version of a console game.

There is a fan game out there called Sonic VS Darkness, he and Shadow are playable. It certainly gave me the Rush fix I didn't know I wanted. Flashy trick system, and actually looks far better than the polygonal models used in later games (it uses Advance sprites). Not sure if it was finished though. Control wise Feels as close to legit as a Rush 3 can be, with some newer moves like stomp and slide and neat bosses.

I think in the wake of both traditional handhelds bowing out of the market after the 3DS and recent "3D" Boost Sonic games having plenty of side-scrolling action on their own; the concept of a new individual Rush project is a hard sell. I can imagine somebody thinking you could just get your Rush/2D Boost fix through the 3D games, even though the experience is clearly more of a discount substitute.

I'm actually surprised that where the Boost games are concerned, they haven't incorporated more elements of the Rush games, especially for the 2D sections. If nothing else, I'd say the Boost games would be the perfect candidate to just have entire Rush campaigns as companion game modes. Have your "base" 3D Boost game actually focus on being 3D (instead of constantly cutting to 2D sections) and then you have your secondary game mode where the 2D action is (and by that I mean proper Rush-styled 2D; not the blocky puzzle platforming that the 2D segments have been following Unleashed).

That said, I'd much rather see a new team brought on for those hypothetical new Rush games. Sonic Team's been responsible for the aforementioned R.C. Cola 2D Boost segments going on in the "3D" Boost games, so needless to say, I don't think they would be fit for the job. The last two works by Dimps speak for themselves on whether that studio should ever be allowed to design Sonic platformers ever again. (they shouldn't)

I think that Dimps gets more hate than they deserve, and I would be glad to give them another chance at 2D Sonic, especially if it's more in the style of the Advance games rather than Rush (and offcourse, sprites, but not pixelated, hand drawn sprites).

They always worked on minor projects, spin-offs and cheap ports, so I think that the quality of those products might not correctly reflect the actual skills of the developers. Dimps cooperated with Flagship to make Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, and the game came out well, it's beloved by fans and some people wish for a remake (according to Wikipedia, Dimps worked on programming, design and sound while Flagship did the planning). I think that with the correct budget, enough time and some support from Sega, they would be perfectly able to make a good Sonic game, for sure not worse than some of Sonic Team's works.