Awoo.

Sega recasting voice actors for main characters(Sonic, Tails Amy etc)

Wraith

Shame since I enjoyed most of his work on the series. He was a hell of a lot more natural than his predecessors. I'm a little sad to see him go. 

If I were to guess I'd say it means Ben Schwartz has gotten the job.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 3

That’s very unfortunate. He may not have been my ideal voice for Sonic, but I think it’s impressive that he was able to voice the character for that long, ten years to be exact.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that sucks, I liked his work with Sonic.

Have to wonder, between this and talk of Pontac and Graff moving on from the series, if there's some kind of big shake-up going on.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

Roger as Sonic never quite clicked with me in the main series, but I don't think he's a bad VA by any means. Just don't think I've liked the voice direction he was given.

I'm sure he isn't short of work though, so he'll be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Wait, what?? Nooooo! Roger was such a breath of fresh air as Sonic. He just felt so...natural for the role. I wonder if this was his decision or if Sega decided to go in another direction with the character. If the latter...I wonder if this means anything about the rest of the voice cast.

Sad day, but I wish him the best of luck in future projects. 10 years was a great run.

And yeah, I too wouldn't mind Ben Schwartz taking over as the voice. Dude's a fantastic Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

I wonder if they're doing a Sonic X and replacing Roger with Ben for brand consistancy?

This was really sudden. And kinda sad.

First time I heard Roger was either in Generations and the London Games, and at that time I was really not used to it.

But his performances in the Sonic Boom TV show, TSR and Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 were the ones that I appreciated the most. I wish him luck on whatever he does next.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its funny.

When Drummond was replaced with Griffith, I was furious.

When Griffith was replaced with Craig Smith, I was happy.

Now when Craig Smith is being replaced... I don't feel anything. I've gotten so used to the fact that Sonic's voice changes completely every now and then...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, batson said:

Its funny.

When Drummond was replaced with Griffith, I was furious.

When Griffith was replaced with Craig Smith, I was happy.

Now when Craig Smith is being replaced... I don't feel anything. I've gotten so used to the fact that Sonic's voice changes completely every now and then...

Don't forget Jaleel White! 

I'm really gonna miss Craig Smith ( imagine telling your grandson that you used to VA as Sonic)

Awww....this is so sad!  While it took me awhile to get used to his voice for Sonic, I was actually liking his voice work for Sonic.  Sure, I liked Ryan Drummond's performance as Sonic the best, but I thought that Roger did a good job for Sonic.  Well, I wish him luck on his future projects.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't say I was a big fan of his work when it comes to Sonic, he never really fit to whatever interpretation I had of the character, but I wouldn't say he was bad at what he did. Hope he gets more big gigs in the future like Chris Redfield which he got snubbed off several times now

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahh no. Sonic Colours dragged me back into the franchise, Roger is a massive part of Sonic as a whole for me. I’m definitely gonna miss him. I kinda hope it’s not Ben Schwartz... I did find him to be a bit grating/annoying in the movie but tolerated it because it was the movie and very separate from the games.

Welp. :(

• Thumbs Up 3

On one hand, I liked Roger's Sonic. On another, we've been due for a cast shakeup for a while now (not in terms of merit, just SEGA being SEGA). Admittedly I think some of the other voices could do with a changing (Rouge and Shadow in particular) and that's probably where this is going. If anything happens, at least keep Mike as Eggman. The dude really should have tenure at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

Saw this coming a mile away, things never change with Sega even after 20 years. 

I never liked Roger's performance, his voice was too nasally and the lines were always delivered in such a obnoxious way. The blame can't be put entirely on him, but that's how I feel. It says something that I still couldn't get used to his voice even after all this time.

Ryan and Jason improved so much in their time, but Roger just kinda never changed in these 10 years. I can't believe he lasted so long, just goes to show how the success of one game (in this case, Sonic Colors) could shape so much of the series' future, and this might be an indication that Sega is finally letting go of what was once successful a decade ago. But now this brings us to the Movie's success, which might be something we'll be stuck with for a decade just like Sonic Colors. A change in voice actors has signaled a change in series direction before, and this might be the same again.

Can't say I'm too excited for Ben Schwartz, if he really is replacing Roger. He's a better actor but almost just as obnoxious.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

like Chris Redfield which he got snubbed off several times now

Fucking Capcom.

2 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

If anything happens, at least keep Mike as Eggman. The dude really should have tenure at this point.

Well, Mike really has endured all these years. 

He may have to re-audition again, but I'm confident he'll remain.

The Only time I really enjoyed Roger as Sonic was the OK KO special, but for the games he didn't click with me as Sonic I just hope with a new Voice Actor we get new writers and a better voice director.

Now as to who I think the new voice actor would be while Ben Schwartz was a solid voice in the Sonic movies only done Movies and TV shows and I have my doubts they could get him for the games, If they did then I would be ok with that but for now my safe bet would be Man Mittelman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Disappointed, but I'm not surprised given the history of replacing Sonic's voice at the drop of a hat. Think the biggest thing that sticks out is just how flippant Sega are in replacing voice actors.  Usually when a role is recasted, there's some reason for it: Union issues, actor unavailability or what have you. But with Sonic, they've always just replaced voice actors for the sake of it. They replaced Drummond with Griffith just to be consistent with Sonic X, and then dropped Griffith as soon as Sonic X stopped airing, and now they're replacing Smith for seemingly no reason. I just don't get it, because all this is going to do is create another splinter in Sonic's identity, because now he can't even keep one consistent voice actor. Even Mario has kept the same voice actor since Mario 64, but Sega can't be bothered to do the same for Sonic and that's really disappointing. 

I'm sure whoever they'll get will do a fine enough job, but now I just can't shake the feeling that once the new guy settles into the role, they're just gonna replace him too by 2030. The lack of consistency with this franchise is so damn irritating. 

I appreciated what Roger did for the series, and while he wasn't my ideal Sonic voice, I can tell he was getting into the role and definitely made it his own. Even with all of the usual dumbassery you get within the Sonic fandom, he always kept a professional attitude with the fanbase and that's very admirable. He'll definitely find new work. 

I'm assuming they're bringing in Ben Schwartz to coincide with the movie, they did that with Sonic X and Jason Griffith so it would be on brand to do it here. I liked Schwartz's interpretation of a more childish and vulnerable Sonic, so I'm not opposed on seeing his take on the video game incarnation of the character. 

• Thumbs Up 7

While I was critical of Roger during the initial years, his Sonic grew on me to honestly become one of the strongest things about this series currently. While I felt the same way with Jason when he was replaced, I can't help but feel that Sega's decision here is a lot more... foreboding.

Like they're, again, fixing things about the series that don't need fixing instead of honing in on the stuff that does.

Anyways, Roger is a a great VA and was a great Sonic. I'm just sorry his talent wasn't better utilized.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Absolutely 2

That's disappointing, he did my favorite take on Sonic. The attitude and confidence were down pat. The previous two takes on him always sounded super forced to me,  like a 40 year old man was trying his hardest to sound like a young teen and failing.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh god is it time for the next VA round already? It feels like it hasnt been long enough.

Game companies rarely pay for Hollywood people, so I really doubt the Ben Schwartz thing. Game VA/Anime Dubbing has its own insular pool.

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly never loved Smith's voice for Sonic. I don't think it was particularly fitting, and it always sounded put on, So, I can't say I'm particularly sad to seem him go. Wish him all the luck in the future, though, of course. Seemed like a decent enough guy.

I don't think Ben Schwartz will be voicing Sonic in the games. Probably to expensive. My hope would be Drummond, but I don't really expect that either.

Also, the fact that this is being announced right now, certainly indicates the next game announcement isn't super far off anymore.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Way Past Cool 1