Awoo.

Sega recasting voice actors for main characters(Sonic, Tails Amy etc)

Wraith

On 2/1/2021 at 7:19 AM, azoo said:

There's a difference between that and say, Mike Pollock literally just using his Eggman voice on every character in a slightly higher register than his speaking voice. Hearing him verbatim in Beserk is wild. lol

There's an anime movie I watched where Mike Pollock played a role, and the voice was just Eggman with a slightly robotic monotone voice. It took me out of the film completely when other actors (even really prominent anime VAs) were able to suck me into the movie because they didn't have the exact same voices as other roles they took.

It's weird, because Mike has shown he can do other voices and has a wider range. But he gets typecasted on the Eggman voice, I guess?

• Thumbs Up 1

I've just read about Cindy departing from the role of Amy Rose. This is starting to feel - without sounding too melodramatic- like a family break up.

Cindy did a tremendous job voicing Amy. Again, like Roger her work on BOOM! in particular was first rate and her performance in Forces was also good. She will be missed.

So...... What will happen next? Will Dave Mitchell carry on with Knuckles? This feels like 2005 all over again.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

On the bright side, this presumably means they're kicking Karen Strassman to the curb.

Lol. I mean now isn't the time for VA debates, but her Rouge was good in Forces and horrible in TSR. So strange... Still not my ideal Rouge though even at the best of times.

I'm just pissed at SEGA here. All these sweeping changes and they're saying nothing. It seems like a dick move from them.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Lol. I mean now isn't the time for VA debates, but her Rouge was good in Forces and horrible in TSR. So strange... Still not my ideal Rouge though even at the best of times.

I'm just pissed at SEGA here. All these sweeping changes and they're saying nothing. It seems like a dick move from them.

I think Marcello's point may have been more about Strassman being a bit of a shitty person, from what I recall. 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

I think Marcello's point may have been more about Strassman being a bit of a shitty person, from what I recall. 

Oh okay. That's got me curious. What's she done?

EDIT: Okay if anyone else is curious just Google "Karen Strassman controversy". A quick skim read says that she's a Trump supporter and possibly a COVID19 denier. I don't like to judge people by their political views, but yeah... 

• Promotion 5

I prefer the separate the artist from their work, but keeping Strassman on would have just led to controversy so her being off is probably a blessing in disguise.

• Thumbs Up 3

OK. Let's say I'm starting to believe that everyone's getting replaced now.

Pls SEGA, just say something, goddamnit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've long had ideas of a Vancouver cast for the series. I can make a new topic about folks contributing ideas/hopes, or we can just do that in here?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

No disrespect to Kirk Thornton, but I really hope Shadow is getting a new voice. He’s in the most dire need of one.

The worst thing is he had a good voice for Shadow he just didn't use it. 

Seriously his Si'ax voice would have been perfect for Shadow. 

This is looking more and more like this is 2005 all over again. SEGA signs up a deal to do a new animated series for Sonic and throws their existing VA's under the bus, and with complete disregard for how the fanbase is going to feel about this. Gotta say, I'm super sick of how the industry treats VA's as absolutely disposable.

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Ah, yes, wrongthink. Absolutely sensible reasons to want someone to lose their livelihood. Everyone who wants to get behind this sentiment can fuck off.

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh okay. That's got me curious. What's she done?

EDIT: Okay if anyone else is curious just Google "Karen Strassman controversy". A quick skim read says that she's a Trump supporter and possibly a COVID19 denier. I don't like to judge people by their political views, but yeah... 

It doesn't end there, she's against a lot of human rights issues too, which is a tick against my personal liking. A lot of us were asking for her to be removed because of her using her platform for bad tbh. I don't think someone should use their platform to spread hateful conspiracy theories to people who are easily influenced. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

My guess is, they'll have PR about all this pretty soon.

If they're preparing 30th anniversary and of course, game announcements (which, I'm sure they are) they want this out of the way now, rather than later.

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

These are the same people that fired Ryan Drummond without telling him, seems par the course for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, prettyinplague said:

It doesn't end there, she's against a lot of human rights issues too, which is a tick against my personal liking. A lot of us were asking for her to be removed because of her using her platform for bad tbh. I don't think someone should use their platform to spread hateful conspiracy theories to people who are easily influenced. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences. 

Exactly. Your speech is protected in that the Government couldn't jail you for saying something they didn't like. I hope Strassman sees more consequences for her hateful speech, because her employers should keep in mind that she represents them. Their employing her means they have no problem with her toxic views that lead to hate and violence, and their firing her would hopefully mean that they have no tolerance for it.

Anyway, I hope we hear about their new voice actors soon.  Aren't we speculating that it's going to be Canadian talents?

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Sam Vincent would make a good Sonic. Maybe even bring back the singing.

I've said this for years. His work as Martin Mystery for one is a good reference IMO.

May as well post my other choices and references:

Tails: Jillian Michaels (no, not the yoga instructor!) (Goten in DBZ, Shippo in InuYasha)

Knuckles: Scott McNeil (Koga in InuYasha)

Amy: Stevie Vallance (Dixie Kong in the DKC TV Show)

Eggman: Richard Newman (Tankor's "true" form in in Beast Machines *spoilers*) or Garry Chalk (naturally Robotnik in Sonic Underground, his fav role!)

Jet the Hawk: Doug Parker (Terrorsaur in Beast Wars)

Rouge or Blaze: Kathleen Barr (Dot in ReBoot) Or actually Rouge can be by Venus Terzo (Wedy/Merrie Kenwood in Death Note), also gets Scott and Venus in another pairing! :D

Shadow: Paul Dobson? (Naraku in InuYasha)

Top of my head.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would vote Brian Drummond for Shadow, just for the memes. 

"Your Grandfather was an average fighter Eggman, BUT HE WAS A BRIlLIANT SCIENTIST!"

• Chuckle 1

10 hours ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

There's an anime movie I watched where Mike Pollock played a role, and the voice was just Eggman with a slightly robotic monotone voice. It took me out of the film completely when other actors (even really prominent anime VAs) were able to suck me into the movie because they didn't have the exact same voices as other roles they took.

It's weird, because Mike has shown he can do other voices and has a wider range. But he gets typecasted on the Eggman voice, I guess?

Was it Promare? Because I watched that the other day and I was like "what? lol"

• Fist Bump 2

Just now, Tornado said:

Was it Promare? Because I watched that the other day and I was like "what? lol"

I didn't see it, but Mike was pushing it quite a bit on twitter when it came out.

5 minutes ago, azoo said:

I doubt it's an all-Canadian cast. But if it is, then Tails jinxed all of you by saying "soarry" in OK KO. 

LOL I remember that now! Folks have a field day with that bit. :P

4 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I would vote Brian Drummond for Shadow, just for the memes. 

"Your Grandfather was an average fighter Eggman, BUT HE WAS A BRIlLIANT SCIENTIST!"

That'd actually be pretty funny since he voiced Knuckles on Underground. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Piko said:

Strassman’s apparently a COVID denier. There’s a huge difference between having an opinion and using your platform to spread lies about a pandemic that’s killed millions of people.

Care to explain what a COVID denier is? Or is that just a piece of otherizing language you use to justify wanting to destroy someone's life?

Also: "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences"? What a piece of doublethink if I ever saw one. No, that is exactly what freedom of speech means. The whole reason why we had the freedom of speech enumerated in the Bill of Rights was out of fear that the Federal government would abuse its power to crush any attempt to present a countervailing narrative. What difference does it make at the end of the day if it's a Twitter mob doing it? That is precisely what John Stuart Mill was talking about when he was presenting the idea of the tyranny of the majority