Awoo.

Sega recasting voice actors for main characters(Sonic, Tails Amy etc)

Wraith

10 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Care to explain what a COVID denier is? Or is that just a piece of otherizing language you use to justify wanting to destroy someone's life?

Also: "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences"? What a piece of doublethink if I ever saw one. No, that is exactly what freedom of speech means. The whole reason why we had the freedom of speech enumerated in the Bill of Rights was out of fear that the Federal government would abuse its power to crush any attempt to present a countervailing narrative. What difference does it make at the end of the day if it's a Twitter mob doing it? That is precisely what John Stuart Mill was talking about when he was presenting the idea of the tyranny of the majority

Basically it means you don't see COVID as anything worse than the flu, or that it's something that just passes or something. Meaning you just basically just want everything to go back to normal with zero regard for the virus because it's not that big of a deal. Some even think COVID doesn't even exist and was made up.

Folks who still think like this are total morons and are likely why so many people still get sick. It was natural to be skeptical back in Jan and Feb last year before the lockdowns began because NO ONE expected things to escalate the way they did, but now a year into this, we still have people with this mindset.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 3

15 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh okay. That's got me curious. What's she done?

EDIT: Okay if anyone else is curious just Google "Karen Strassman controversy". A quick skim read says that she's a Trump supporter and possibly a COVID19 denier. I don't like to judge people by their political views, but yeah... 

Everyone should be entitled to say their opinions. If things keep going the way they're going, then one day people will be jailed for what they say, or worse. People "like" things far worse than conspiracy theories on social media, but nobody pays any attention to that. No one should have to try to outsmart a "fact check" system to voice their opinions. An opinion is called an opinion for a reason, otherwise, it would be called a fact. Nobody should be silenced of their opinion just because there are some gullible people out there. That's like Knuckles telling Eggman, "It's not fair! You know I'm gullible! *sob*"

Anyway, it would be wise not to discuss politics, the actor/writer/etc.'s personal lives, and who's left or right on the SSMB. All it leads to is a bunch of hot heads and a lot of cussing. We're all here to talk about Sonic, remember?

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people; relgion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus

hqdefault.jpg.55e95cb279284e6bdd46ab882458c581.jpg

16 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Care to explain what a COVID denier is? Or is that just a piece of otherizing language you use to justify wanting to destroy someone's life?

A Covid denier is someone who denies the existence or overall seriousness of Covid, advocates for not wearing masks, denies how effective masks can be, claims that the vaccine is an excuse to inject microchips into people, and any variant of drivel that only serves prolong the pandemic through ignorance and conspiracy. Voices like this are a reason Covid is still a thing in my country, which has killed and destroyed lives in a far more permanent manner.

16 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Also: "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences"? What a piece of doublethink if I ever saw one. No, that is exactly what freedom of speech means.

Do you think you're entitled to go into a preschool, yell every obscenity in the book and not even be asked to leave the building? Do you think someone can go up to me, threaten to kill me, my dog, my family and burn my house down and I should just passively take that and not report the threats to the police? Would you go into a crowded room, yell "FIRE" and incite panic at best or cause trampling deaths at worst, then think you're safe because of freedom of speech?

22 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

The whole reason why we had the freedom of speech enumerated in the Bill of Rights was out of fear that the Federal government would abuse its power to crush any attempt to present a countervailing narrative. What difference does it make at the end of the day if it's a Twitter mob doing it?

Well, for one thing, a "twitter mob" is not the federal government. Normal every day people pointing out that Karen Strassman perpetrates dangerous misinformation and has displayed bigotry, things that objectively contributes negatively in society, is an entirely different world from the FBI threatening to kill you if you don't do it yourself in 34 days, because you advocate for the civil rights of black people in the United States.

46 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

That is precisely what John Stuart Mill was talking about when he was presenting the idea of the tyranny of the majority

Except Mill acknowledges that there are right and wrong mandates, in things society should and shouldn't meddle with. Since Covid impacts society and a large part of getting rid of it relies on the people within society to treat it seriously instead of deny it, especially since it can spread through anyone and largely kills the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, and can even kill and effect those who aren't those things, I'd say it would be the right mandate to hold people responsible for denying it and thereby enabling the spread of a deadly disease within society.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 2

20 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Before you even start about Twitter likes and how people shouldn't be rooting through them or whatever; Twitter puts people's likes on the timeline whether they want to fucking see it or not. And hell, she didn't even just "like" things, she commented them too.

It's like people foolishly think their likes on twitter are private or something and then go surprised Pikachu when folks find out about them. David Wise (yes, the DK composer) tragically being such a person who's liked some pretty bad ant-BLM stuff on twitter and caused a big controversy when folks found out which he's to date never addressed.

It's like... keep your shit opinions to yourself. God, are people this stupid? What on Earth did you expect would happen?

• Thumbs Up 5

Someone has probably already said this, but Strassman having Karen as a first name is all too fitting. Regardless, "freedom of speech" or not, if the voice cast truly is going to be entirely changed she was going to be out the door anyway. It's just serendipitous to know that there will be one less questionable person behind the scenes in what we all want to be a good and uplifting series to enjoy. Can't really fault people (myself included) to find a small victory in that. As a person who has enjoyed the series since my childhood, it annoys me that as someone who has lost friends to covid that someone involved in one of my favorite series believes everything about our current pandemic is bogus. Having opinions on like, whether a movie is a good cinematic experience or not is one thing, but if your opinions directly oppose the lives of people that are born a specific way out of their control or endorse foolishly endangering people by ignoring science in favor of peddling conspiracy theories, people can do or say whatever they want on Twitter/the internet about it. If SEGA doesn't want their kid friendly series being associated with an anti-masking, anti-BLM person who chooses to vocally express their ideals online, then that's SEGA's choice. It'd be one thing if they fired someone for visibly being a minority, something they couldn't change about themselves or hide, but it's all on Karen for choosing to align with harmful views and not being afraid to do so. Simply put, you reap what you sow. You are free to say what you want but that only gives others the choice to voice their opinion about what you've said. Besides, Rouge would never do any of this. She would most definitely canonically or at least  probably kick anti-maskers in the teeth.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Absolutely 2

Jesus Christ, you guys have it easy, I live in Brazil, the freaking president is a full COVID denier, imagine how many people he influences being who he is? Not even Trump hit such degree of ignorance. Things are completely out of control here because of his "freedom of speech". He went as far as saying that wearing masks is a "fa**** thing". It's an "opinion" right? But all the cities were the majority of people voted for him in 2018 have by far the highest death and infected numbers in the country. My own city is one of these, 80% of the people here voted for him, I feel like I'm one of the few who wears a mask and avoid crowded places.

Words have power. Lies can kill. You have no idea how much damage his "freedom of speech" has done during this pandemic, we NEARLY didn't got a vaccine at all If it wasn't for other authorities. The president didn't wanted any vaccine for the people because he is ALSO an antivax...

But yeah, this is a Sonic forum, lol

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Too Many Rings 1

10 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Also: "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences"? What a piece of doublethink if I ever saw one.

You say that word. Either it doesn't mean what you think it means or you're even farther off the mark with that claim.

This comic pretty much says it plain and simple: free_speech.png

It's almost like companies who want to come off as decent so as to not alienate fans wouldn't want to associate  themselves with outright terrible people who misuse their platform and popularity something fierce.

It'd be some massive bullshit if everyone could just get away with being a terrible person under the guise of it being "an opinion".

Oh yeah sure, Karen exercised her right of free speech alright. But she's liable to see that she's not free of the consequences of genuinely being terrible 

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm beginning to feel considerably less certain that Pollock is going to be staying as Eggman at this point honestly. But to be honest, I wouldn't be entirely against seeing maybe, a more OVA-styled take on Eggman. That'd be interesting. 

Edited by Tracker_TD
Page reload showed staff already addressed the clowns in the room, so I'm just gonna... move on.
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

It's more like you can say whatever you want, doesn't mean everyone else has to put up with fucking bullshit. Some people getting mad at someone saying something stupid on Twitter really isn't the same thing as the government policing speech.

And opinions can be disagreed upon.

When someone is using their platform to further spread an opinion based in misinformation or conspiracy theories, then it's fair for people to talk about it and air their grievances.

Before you even start about Twitter likes and how people shouldn't be rooting through them or whatever; Twitter puts people's likes on the timeline whether they want to fucking see it or not. And hell, she didn't even just "like" things, she commented them too.

You are not a moderator on this message board, so you can knock it off with the backseat modding. This is a thread about voice actors in the Sonic cast collectively getting fired because the big brand wants to, and a few of them turn out to be unsavory people so it just coincidentally works out for them, and if that's what people want to talk about, then so be it.

It's relevant whether you like it or not.

Either move on or find a constructive way of redirecting the conversation instead of acting like everyone else has to shut up for your sake.

And whatever reply you have, you can save it and go complain to an admin if it bothers you that much. I really don't care.

I'll add on to this:

There's a difference between something like ResetEra spending days combing through your entire online history to see if you associate with someone they don't like so they can get the rest of their echo chamber frothing at the mouth to boycott anything you've ever done (or, as is equally common nowadays, someone on the right using the gullibility of those people to get someone on the left cancelled); and using your platform as a person some people recognize to spout idiotic conspiracy theories that have directly contributed to the idiot hive mind that is Trump supporters which have caused hundreds of thousands of people to die unnecessarily.

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay so Karen Strassman holds some views that I find pretty awful. I personally wouldn't want to work with her or support her work as a result (although I must stress that this doesn't apply to everyone that I simply disagree with). But even if she was somehow still voicing Rouge, I wouldn't really be all that fussed. Rouge is a bit-part in a larger series with actors and creators that I do respect as people. And as for the staff at SEGA themselves... Well, fuck knows what views they have and ignorance is bliss.

So yeah... Glad that Strassman is likely gone. But even if she isn't, I can't be too bothered about about one bad apple in the whole orchard, you know?

I have super mixed feelings about the 2010 - 2020 cast. Smith is my favourite Sonic actor, so seeing him go is a huge shame. Both of Tails VAs during this time were excellent and hard to tell apart. Willingham started off as Dan Green imitator and ended up doing a better job than Green, but I still massively preferred Drier from SA2 and Heroes (heck, even Drummond was a better Knuckles in Shuffle). The guy who replaced Knuckles in TSR was awful though. Robinson's Amy went from dreadful to brilliant, and my main issue with Amy is moreso that she's lost a lot of her girlish charm and wilder emotions to become a bit too tame and mature than it is about her voice. And obviously Pollock continued to be an absolutely brilliant Eggman.

Of the "main" characters, and I use that term loosely talking about Amy and Knuckles considering they didn't show up much before TSR and Forces, Knuckles is the only one who's voice I disliked at the end. Losing them all however is very, very uncool.

The rest of the voices I'm either not so keen on or the characters are so limited in their appearances that I can't bring myself to care too much. Shadow has never sounded so weak and non-threatening as he does with Thornton in the role. Yes, he improved in Forces after he sounded so garbage in Free Riders in Generations, but he still wasn't good. Herbert's take on Big was annoying to listen to in TSR, and Strassman's Rouge in the same game was dreadful. Silver was good with both his Forces and TSR VAs. Blaze, Cream, the Chaotix and the Babylon Rogues all sound fine in their latest incarnations too. Thing is, all of these characters have had barely any lines or appearances of note. So whether I liked or disliked their voices is of very little consequence. 

Considering that SEGA actually managed to raise the bar in 2010 with the quality of the voice work I'm not worried about who we get next. But it really seemed like SEGA wasn't keen on keeping anyone around and saw them all as replaceable. Lots of characters changed actors in this past decade, just not some of the main ones. I'm bothered that SEGA doesn't seem to see the value in portraying their characters consistently. And I'm bothered that they treat their talent so poorly.

I can probably get on board with whoever they choose to replace most of the cast. Pollock's Eggman is the one I'm most concerned about. He's held that role and played it perfectly for almost 20 years, even when he's had trash lines to work with. Furthermore, he started off being instructed to imitate Bristow's Eggman so Eggman has only had two English voices since SA1 and they were rather similar unlike most of the rest of the cast. It's going to be super hard to replace him.

Just a side note about Rouge though and this is absolutely nothing to do with Strassman as a person... Strassman's Rouge just didn't work. Originally I was quite keen in Free Riders, but nah man. I just can't mesh the voice and the character at all. Total mis-cast. The best Rouge VA was definitely Minella, the original VA. I also really enjoyed Delaney's take in X and subsequent games with the 4Kids cast. I know she wasn't popular and people say she sounded too old, like a chain smoker (lol what?) or like a hooker, but I disagree and thought the she suit Rouge very well.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

And this, kids, is why social media and the Internet in general is a terrible place. You can be a saint your entire life, but if you make 1 mistake (which doesn't even have to be related to your profession or career), the whole world will come after you and want your whole life ruined. You might as well be dead at that point.

Because for many people, having your career, livelihood and reputation ruined, deplatformed so you can't say anything, is totally a reasonable response to saying something or holding a belief that upset you or you don't agree with.

As my PE teacher once said: "I'm not going to wish you good, or bad. I'm gonna wish you what you wish for me." If that disturbs someone, that's on them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not going to complain about a change in creative direction but from what I've heard this sounds more like a corporate decision to get Sonic and Eggman sounding more in line with the movie to me. Like they didn't have the same revelation I did that maybe Amy sounds a little too old or that Shadow could sound less strained, it just seems like a brand thing. Maybe this change will turn out to be for the better in the long run, but I can't really applaud letting Roger go over something like that.  Tara Strong's tweet a few days ago about the VA industry has made all of it doubly hard to swallow for me. This all feels like a mistake right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, Tarnish said:

And this, kids, is why social media and the Internet in general is a terrible place. You can be a saint your entire life, but if you make 1 mistake (which doesn't even have to be related to your profession or career), the whole world will come after you and want your whole life ruined. You might as well be dead at that point.

That is a pretty terrible take on the situation,  all things considered. 

Being a COVID-Deniar and an avid Trump supporter is not just some "mistake" that shouldn't send red flags to people associated with you, given what that stuff actually means. Both of those are terribly endorsing things that have gotten people killed.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:34 AM, Tarnish said:

Because for many people, having your career, livelihood and reputation ruined, deplatformed so you can't say anything, is totally a reasonable response to saying something or holding a belief that upset you or you don't agree with.

I mean, honestly, the fault isn't on social media if you openly are all for terrible things like racism, discrimination,  anti-vaxxing, or other dangerous behaviors. Encouraging the idea that you can get away with being a sack of shit would be a dangerous precedent to stand.

And considering how they could just as easily keep those crappy decisions to themselves and off the internet, filtering themselves, they really have no one but themselves to blame.

No point in white knighting for them.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I'm not going to complain about a change in creative direction but from what I've heard this sounds more like a corporate decision to get Sonic and Eggman sounding more in line with the movie to me. Like they didn't have the same revelation I did that maybe Amy sounds a little too old or that Shadow could sound less strained, it just seems like a brand thing. Maybe this change will turn out to be for the better in the long run, but I can't really applaud letting Roger go over something like that.  Tara Strong's tweet a few days ago about the VA industry has made all of it doubly hard to swallow for me. This all feels like a mistake right now.

I'm really not looking forward to going towards a more movie based direction if that's the case. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The community the past few days has been a wild ride of doomposting, to wild claims, to fear and loathing, to eventually arguing over COVID denial. If we don't get news soon I'd just recommend people to stop reading this topic and take a break haha. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

6 minutes ago, azoo said:

The community the past few days has been a wild ride of doomposting, to wild claims, to fear and loathing, to eventually arguing over COVID denial. If we don't get news soon I'd just recommend people to stop reading this topic and take a break haha. 

@azoo exactly what i was thinking. Hey i'm gonna redecorate my Profile, Replay Forces, Finish up 3d all stars and get in a couple games of smash ultimate so i've got plenty to do. (and maybe buy Super Mario Oddessy LOL i know i'm real late)

Apparently Ryan Drummond is in talks with Sega to voice the character again but honestly I highly doubt Sega would let RCS go so suddenly  if they didn't already have a replacement in mind so I'd say keep expectations extremely low there 

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

Apparently Ryan Drummond is in talks with Sega to voice the character again but honestly I highly doubt Sega would let RCS go so suddenly  if they didn't already have a replacement in mind so I'd say keep expectations extremely low there 

@Soniman i have to agree with you here Sega may not be the best at making games but they know enough to plan ahead. I don't think we are going to know this actor. Like someone said Sega goes for the actors that are not well known and the games make them more well known and help them achieve more parts. Moving forward i hope this changes before good changes in this series were highly unlikely. It depending on how Sonic Prime and the new games come is how we can know for sure Sega has changed for the better.

7 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Yeah I doubt it. Apparently he was being kinda jokey about it and people took him seriously.

Also in general they almost certainly already have a new voice actor cast. Production has started which means that recording shouldn't be too far down the line. 

8 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Thing is I'm pretty sure at this point they would've already locked in their VAs. Unless everyone made their statement that close to when they found out, which I kinda doubt.. Feels less like Ryan is shooting his shot with confidence and more like he's just seeing if the option is on the table at all.