Awoo.

Sega recasting voice actors for main characters(Sonic, Tails Amy etc)

Wraith

I could see them getting the Sonic VAs from years prior to voice alternate versions of him for jokes. 

Thats it though

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Nix said:

Congrats, you pointed out the difference.

Shitty people don't deserve to live comfy lives, especially when their shitty views are actively harmful to others. Miss me with that shit.

Of course, because this time, you get to be the tyrant. That's the difference here. It appears John Stuart Mill was correct.

5 hours ago, Tornado said:

I'll add on to this:

There's a difference between something like ResetEra spending days combing through your entire online history to see if you associate with someone they don't like so they can get the rest of their echo chamber frothing at the mouth to boycott anything you've ever done (or, as is equally common nowadays, someone on the right using the gullibility of those people to get someone on the left cancelled); and using your platform as a person some people recognize to spout idiotic conspiracy theories that have directly contributed to the idiot hive mind that is Trump supporters which have caused hundreds of thousands of people to die unnecessarily.

Is that a fact now? Anybody that doesn't toe the narrative is now a conspiracy theorist that is therefore culpable for the death of thousands? Are we applying this standard to Democrats that said at the beginning of the crisis to go to Chinatown and start hugging random people? I didn't forget how all this started, I sincerely hope that people in this thread right now that are singularly calling out Trump supporters didn't forget as well.

Gotta say, the more this discussion goes on, the more disgusted I get. There really is no bad tactics at play here. Just the bad targets.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, azoo said:

AH, so you're a Trumpie. Glad we got that bit of info. Thanks for clarifying!

I don't think I even said what my position was, but don't let me get in the way of good old tribalism. I'm done here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can we

fuckin move on 

How did this conversation about the future of Sonic the Hedgehog's future VA turn into a discussion about this of all things? The first people to respond to whoever started this should've just rolled their eyes and moved on, now look what you got out of it. Kudos to the people not fueling this shit fire and staying on topic.

But ya, I'm cool if all the voice actors are replaced (best of luck of course to them finding future work in this economy), good enough of a job as they did, but I really, REALLY hope they do not kick out Mike Pollock. He is the Eggman, there is simply no debate. I wish Sega would just spill the beans on what's happening with him.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 2

54 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Apparently Ryan Drummond is in talks with Sega to voice the character again

'Being in talks' to me means there is a two-way communication to come to an agreement. As far as I know, merely Ryan's agent contacted SEGA. For all we know, SEGA might not even respond or just promptly say NO if they already have their own candidate in mind, so it's hardly 'being in talks'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryan said that he got his agent to contact sega and hopes to see where they go there. He also joked that folks on Twitter would take it out of context.

According to the article Sonic Stadium just posted, they aren't really in talks. Just that Drummond's agent is just trying to reach out to SEGA to let them know that he's interested in the role.

... Which I'm sure they know at this point. Ryan's made himself clear for well over a decade that he wants to be back on Sonic.  And according to Ryan, he almost got the role for Generations. And then turned it down because they wanted him to leave his union.

Don't get me wrong. I would be ecstatic to have Ryan back, but at this point we've been here before.

I'd be very surprised if SEGA and Netflix don't already have a Sonic voice they have lined up already.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's worth pointing out not being able to use Twitter or Resetera hating you or whatever aren't really the career ending nukes they're often treated as. I've seen celebrity personalities bounce back from racism and sexual misconduct scandals that were far more damning than this. Having to slightly adjust your behavior on twitter isn't really the muzzle it's made out to be. She can also just..not, and still get work clearly.

Vocal opposition on social media is often the only leverage the people that are put in danger by 'opinions' like this even have and it's not even always effective. The pearl clutching over "hate mobs' never made a ton of sense to me. We have to protect ourselves from this sort of dangerous rhetoric somehow and mass public pushback is one of the only ways we've got.

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Absolutely 1

I'm surprised Ryan is still willing to put up with SEGA's bullshit to begin with. From previous interviews, it sounded quite like he wasn't exactly treated the best by SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I would vote Brian Drummond for Shadow, just for the memes. 

"Your Grandfather was an average fighter Eggman, BUT HE WAS A BRIlLIANT SCIENTIST!"

I would vote Brian Drummond for Sonic because it would be hilarious watching everyone confuse him with Ryan Drummond.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Nix said:

It'd be a lot easier to move on if there wasn't a giant clown here defending neo-nazis because they have no idea how freedom of speech works.

Someone says stupid bullshit, everyone ignores said stupid bullshit. Everyone wins except the dude who posted stupid bullshit. If he continues to post more stupid bullshit out of nowhere over and over again, just report him or something. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really wish Mike Pollock could announce he's leaving as soon as possible so this topic could melt down over that intead of this.

• Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

13 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

According to the article Sonic Stadium just posted, they aren't really in talks. Just that Drummond's agent is just trying to reach out to SEGA to let them know that he's interested in the role.

... Which I'm sure they know at this point. Ryan's made himself clear for well over a decade that he wants to be back on Sonic.  And according to Ryan, he almost got the role for Generations. And then turned it down because they wanted him to leave his union.

Don't get me wrong. I would be ecstatic to have Ryan back, but at this point we've been here before.

I'd be very surprised if SEGA and Netflix don't already have a Sonic voice they have lined up already.

Thought you were "done here." 

Anyway, would it be feasible to change the topic thread to a Voice Actor Change general topic? We aren't just losing RCS, both Tails and Amy's VA are out of the picture. The writing is on the wall at this point. 

More on topic, I think the chances that Ryan Drummond will reprise Sonic are extremely slim. Even if he nabs the role for Sonic Prime, there's no guarantee he'll be around long-term. I recall an incident where he almost landed the gig again when there were issues between SEGA and his union. Drummond will voice Sonic unless it interferes with his bottom line, as should be the case for any voice actor who needs to pay the bills. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Wasn't expecting to spark such controversy with my Strassman post lol But once I saw the misuse of 1984 terms and cries for freedom of speech it became pretty clear what was going on...

Pretty much everything that should be said has been said in ways better than I could, so I'll just say I love how the right always scream about their "Freedom of Speech!" when they say some dumb shit and people use their freedom of speech to call them out. Or how they whine about cancel culture because they just can't not be dumb assholes.

And by love, I mean find it pathetic.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I could see them getting the Sonic VAs from years prior to voice alternate versions of him for jokes. 

Thats it though

Not sure if that would really even work. It's very focused on the English version, but other languages didn't get voice actor changes at the same time, even have voice actors for games prior to Generations or still have the same actor from the start.

• Thumbs Up 7

19 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

More on topic, I think the chances that Ryan Drummond will reprise Sonic are extremely slim. Even if he nabs the role for Sonic Prime, there's no guarantee he'll be around long-term. I recall an incident where he almost landed the gig again when there were issues between SEGA and his union. Drummond will voice Sonic unless it interferes with his bottom line, as should be the case for any voice actor who needs to pay the bills. 

On this note about Drummond, all we know is that his agent reached out to SEGA and they had a chat. It could be the most nothing thing ever. It'll probably be this. verbatim:

Agent: Hi SEGA. Mr Drummond would like to talk about playing the role of Sonic again.

SEGA: mmmk we'll you know

*months later*

SEGA: *publicly announces new VAs without ever speaking to Drummond or his agent again*

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Not sure if that would really even work. It's very focused on the English version, but other languages didn't get voice actor changes at the same time, even have voice actors for games prior to Generations or still have the same actor from the start.

Yeah the only reason I'm even humoring it is because the show is getting made in an English speaking country. 

Eh, I don't see the point in Ryan even trying as defeatist as that sounds. I'm almost certain the new cast, whoever they are, are already set in stone. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a Netflix Evangelion situation where the ADV cast was allowed to "reaudition" because they made a fuss about it just to have their tapes thrown out the second they left the studio. Never mind the last time Drummond got far enough along that Sega immediately tried to screw him.

I mean, cool if it works out for him, but I don't see it happening.

• Absolutely 1

honestly I thought that Roger was an okay voice for sonic, guess that 'cause he was the VA I heard first in Generations but still. I understand if there are better VA's for sonic and I'm glad they're letting roger do his own thing. but it still sucks seeing him go, I hope he has fun VA'ing other characters.

Yeah, unfortunately, his agent contacting SEGA basically confirms it's not him. Would love to be wrong, as he's still my favorite, but it is what it is. 🤷 I guess I can still stick to the German cast if the new English one is bad.

I just find it frustrating that we're doing this again. Like I said before, I didn't like Roger's Sonic much at all, but it just seems like we go through this once every decade or so, and it always gets the fanbase upset. Like aside from Roger, I don't know. I liked Colleen's Tails, and we're losing her.

Right now we don't even know if we're keeping Mike Pollock or not. This is all in the face of us not even knowing what the 30th anniversary game even is.

ANYWAYS Any time I get an inkling that they're going to make the games more like the movies, I die a little inside. The movies are fine as their own little thing, but to expand them into the games? No thank you, sir. I REALLY hope the rumor that the voice cast isn't being replaced to be made more fit for the movie isn't true. I like having the movie and games separated.

• Thumbs Up 2