Awoo.

Sega recasting voice actors for main characters(Sonic, Tails Amy etc)

Wraith

It’s nice Ryan is still interested in voicing Sonic but I highly doubt Sega is interested, even if they were doing an adventure remake. Oh well, at least I still have Sonic and Tails R.

I dunno, I thought movie Sonic had a lot of energy that I wouldn't mind seeing game Sonic get. I've loved Schwartz since Parks and Rec, and he's a good actor. He's not necessarily who I want for the games, but I'd be pretty happy with him getting the part.

Unless it gets in the way of him getting to play Plastic Man. That takes priority.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, prettyinplague said:

ANYWAYS Any time I get an inkling that they're going to make the games more like the movies, I die a little inside. The movies are fine as their own little thing, but to expand them into the games? No thank you, sir. I REALLY hope the rumor that the voice cast isn't being replaced to be made more fit for the movie isn't true. I like having the movie and games separated.

I don't think this is what's happening because of this:

https://aawesomepenguin.tumblr.com/post/637616796791406592/check-this-out-this-page-was-done-for-investors

SEGA seems pretty insistent here that the Sonic movie is a discrete part of the franchise, and that the Netflix show is a part of Modern Sonic and not Movie Sonic (I would expect some sort of crossover though)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Is that a fact now? Anybody that doesn't toe the narrative is now a conspiracy theorist that is therefore culpable for the death of thousands? 

Yes. Especially when the President of the United States was still pushing that sentiment all the way up through the presidential debates, when hundreds of thousands of people had already died.

Gotta say, the more this discussion goes on, the more disgusted I get. There really is no bad tactics at play here. Just the bad targets.

Then go away. 

I'm not a Democrat, by the way. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Okay, so color me shocked over what I just found out about in this topic about Karen Straussman today, because that wasn’t what I expected to hear when I went through the topic over her having a controversy.

Mind you, I don’t keep up with voice actors too much as I’m not too attached to who plays a character as long as they play it well.

A shame too, as I was fond of her work. But I’m not too fussed.

• Thumbs Up 1

No matter where we fall on the political spectrum, if at all, I think the more unnuanced and extreme our stated opinions are, then the less thoughtful, introspective and tethered to reality they're likely to be.

Now, to get back on the topic of voice actors leaving, I demand anyone involved with Sonic '06 be deplatformed for complicity in the pain, trauma and violence they've inflicted. Mike Pollock must go.

🙃

• Chuckle 2

Hey, I'll have you know that all the joking and meme-ery surrounding Sonic 06's trainwreckishness was a weird source of joy for me back in my adolescence. I now look back on those years fondly.

And don't do my man Mike dirty like this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

I could care less about a persons political leanings. Unless they literally come outside my house wearing a white hood trying to tell me its october. But I know several people i follow have horrible ramblings like the creator of EWJ. love this comics but lord he never hushes. That said I like the idea of a FULL cast shake up. That includes eggman. It gives us a new take on some voices and yea at first im sure we all will not like them. But im sure some will grow on us faster than others. The reason i do not mind most of all its not like we have not had a break. Say gargoyles. love that show but its been gone for well years. if the old cast came back that would be best. But had the show been running for 20 years id be like ok maybe some new voices would be interesting. But sometimes you get someone really iconic like optimums prime. its hard to change a voice like that. And even the new one for the netflix show comes somewhat close to the odd one with just enough new flair to be well new. I see the same with sonic.

28 minutes ago, Domino said:

Hey, I'll have you know that all the joking and meme-ery surrounding Sonic 06's trainwreckishness was a weird source of joy for me back in my adolescence. I now look back on those years fondly.

And don't do my man Mike dirty like this.

Don't you dare perpetuate the harmful myth that '06 could elicit a positive response in anyone. I DEFINITELY didn't get any enjoyment out of it at all. Nope. Never at all. Ever. I think Mike does a great Eggman, pity to see him go - but justice is justice.  😜

2 hours ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

No matter where we fall on the political spectrum, if at all, I think the more unnuanced and extreme our stated opinions are, then the less thoughtful, introspective and tethered to reality they're likely to be.

It is a good thing that this forum allows political discussion, and it is also good that it recognizes that all political opinions are not equal. Many are actively dangerous and unworthy of protection, especially on a private forum where the mods can basically do as they please, and I commend the mod team for not taking the centrist approach and deciding that because two sides exist in the debate, they have to be the same.

Even stating "extremism" as a bad thing without specifying who you mean actively makes a false equivalence between different extremes that are themselves entirely unequal. The people branded as "extremist antifa alt-left postmodern neo-marxist anarchists" range from actual communists to Boe Juckin' Fiden, who wants to not give you healthcare and immediately caved to the republicans by lowering the stimulus amount from his campaign promise on a nonsense technicality. He's not just "not extreme left", he's not any kind of left. The previous president, on the other hand, incited, promoted and sold merchandise for a coup to overthrow democracy. If you equivocate these things (and to be clear, I'm not saying you are) by saying it's all just "extreme", that's not "nuanced", it is making a very clear statement about which side is more acceptable to you.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

It’s very sad to hear Karen Strassman is a right wing nut job :( between this and discovering Quinton Flynn is a certified creep, this has been quite the cherry on top of a shitty week. But I digress.

Shits crazy man. I didn’t think we were in need of a line-wide recast, but if it’s what Sega thinks is needed to reinvent the brand, then so be it. I’m really curious to see who we’re gonna get for everyone now. I just wish Sega would stop ditching a voice cast once they finally come into their own (Sonic Heroes, Black Knight). History has an odd way of repeating itself with this franchise. 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

It is a good thing that this forum allows political discussion, and it is also good that it recognizes that all political opinions are not equal. Many are actively dangerous and unworthy of protection, especially on a private forum where the mods can basically do as they please, and I commend the mod team for not taking the centrist approach and deciding that because two sides exist in the debate, they have to be the same.

Even stating "extremism" as a bad thing without specifying who you mean actively makes a false equivalence between different extremes that are themselves entirely unequal. The people branded as "extremist antifa alt-left postmodern neo-marxist anarchists" range from actual communists to Boe Juckin' Fiden, who wants to not give you healthcare and immediately caved to the republicans by lowering the stimulus amount from his campaign promise on a nonsense technicality. He's not just "not extreme left", he's not any kind of left. The previous president, on the other hand, incited, promoted and sold merchandise for a coup to overthrow democracy. If you equivocate these things (and to be clear, I'm not saying you are) by saying it's all just "extreme", that's not "nuanced", it is making a very clear statement about which side is more acceptable to you.

I think that’s an inaccurate definition of a centrist. It isn’t seeing both sides as “the same”. My understanding of someone who would be regarded as having a centrist viewpoint is an individual with a worldview or policy advocation that generally tends to lie close to the “centre” of that country’s typical political spectrum. Some issues they might have a viewpoint that’s more left leaning, and criticize the right's typical perspective. Other issues they might tend to fall a bit more right and disagree with the more traditional left position. 

I agree, the charge of “extremism” can be exaggerated or straight up fabricated, out of either genuine belief or bad faith - people often tend to create cartoonish caricatures of their opponents and their viewpoints to make said opponents seem less reasonable than they may actually be, allowing for condemnation of them to be much easier a task. I agree, I’m sure there are those who call public figures "extreme left" when they aren’t anywhere close to it in reality, and no doubt that happens with figures on the right too. I wasn’t alluding to the actions or policies of any American presidents. I'm not from and don’t live in the U.S. But to take that country as an example, I do believe there are groups of people in that country that the majority of everyday citizens would consider to have "extreme" views, including anarchists and the idiots in the white cloaks for example. There were/are no claims of moral equivalence from me, no claims that they’re “the same”, just the belief that most people would consider their views radical. I was criticizing extreme views in general using the traditionally agreed upon definition of the word. Not considering all of them equal in some sort of “wrongness” or “acceptability” hierarchy. I know you weren’t accusing me of equating anything, and I’m not. There are certain perspectives, both political and otherwise, that the majority of society would define as “extreme” regardless of whether or not they’re ethically equivalent. And as you point out, there are those who will always use the word “extreme” in bad faith.

Also, you failed to mention the biggest example of something being inaccurately labelled as extreme. 😁

Spoiler

739834360_Sonic_X-tremeBoxart.png.d054665ebe05e09fc342a5a30427bfcb.png

I don't know jack about political talk and have zero interest, so I'll just throw in a VA hot take instead.

I'm perfectly fine with all of the voices being replaced as I've never really liked any of them strongly or much at all in some causes. Particularly Mike, who I feel is overpraised and not really that great. Never liked him in X, never liked him in the Dark Era, never liked him in the Modern Era and...eh, he was good in Boom. He fit better there. Roger is far better than Jason ever was but still kind of dull outside of Boom and I really don't have any strong opinions of the rest.

If this is the beginning of a huge change, then after what Forces led to and ended the era with, I'm all for it. It may not get better, but I hope it at least gets more interesting.

• Fist Bump 1

I've just caught up with the Sonic and Tails R audio series by Emi Jones and Doryan Nelson, and it might be my nostalgia boner talking, but Ryan Drummond's voice is so... fitting for Sonic. Even though his range isn't the same as 16 years ago, which is completely understandable, it still captures Sonic's attitude so well in my opinion. It's cool that he's still interested in voicing Sonic and it's also clear that he enjoys doing it, I wouldn't mind having him back as long as SEGA and him make a deal that's good for both. They already screwed him over in the past and I hope Ryan don't fall victim of "internet pressure" and end up accepting bad working conditions demanded by SEGA just for the "fans"... It has to work both sides.

Needless to say, I would take him back with open arms :)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 3

I’m not even sure I know who I want to voice Sonic and Shadow.  At this point I don’t think any1 can match Jason.  Though whoever voices Amy I hope they don’t bring back her fan girl personality.

7 hours ago, Chaos Incarnate said:

It’s very sad to hear Karen Strassman is a right wing nut job :( between this and discovering Quinton Flynn is a certified creep, this has been quite the cherry on top of a shitty week. But I digress.

Okay, what the hell did Quinton Flynn do?

I swear, I’m just now discovering this stuff all at once here.

• Absolutely 1

3 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Okay, what the hell did Quinton Flynn do?

I swear, I’m just now discovering this stuff all at once here.

Accusations of sexually harassing and exploiting fans. Unlike Strassman's controversies which are down political ideologies, this is pretty cut and dry I think? I mean, what I've learned about Strassman is really bad, but not inarguably so apparently... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

It Vic Mignogna all over again, huh?

• Absolutely 1

A lot of people on YouTube and Twitter are setting themselves up for disappointment by thinking Ryan will come back, or Max will be picked.  Sympathy for the poor bugger who gets the role. 

And the SonicTubers aren't helping the situation. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Absolutely 2

9 hours ago, Chaos Incarnate said:

It’s very sad to hear Karen Strassman is a right wing nut job :( between this and discovering Quinton Flynn is a certified creep, 

I feel that. Doesn't help that I also recently learned that a lot of Power Rangers actors are also Trump supporters and in at least one is a 9/11 Truther.

It sucks learning shit like this.

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I feel that. Doesn't help that I also recently learned that a lot of Power Rangers actors are also Trump supporters and in at least one is a 9/11 Truther.

It sucks learning shit like this.

I really hope Johnny Yong Bosch isn't one (OG Black Ranger). :(

31 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

I really hope Johnny Yong Bosch isn't one (OG Black Ranger). :(

Johnny Yong Bosch isn't the OG Black Ranger. Walter Emanuel Jones is.

• Chuckle 3
  • Absolutely 1

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

Johnny Yong Bosch isn't the OG Black Ranger. Walter Emanuel Jones is.

Oh, well he was a Power Ranger (I think Black) at some point.

22 minutes ago, Hero of Legend said:

Oh, well he was a Power Ranger (I think Black) at some point.

He was the second Black Ranger after Walter, Johnny is just more well known for obvious reasons./

7 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

A lot of people on YouTube and Twitter are setting themselves up for disappointment by thinking Ryan will come back, or Max will be picked.  Sympathy for the poor bugger who gets the role. 

And the SonicTubers aren't helping the situation. 

SonicTubers are starved for content, and will milk the heck out of whatever they can get just to keep up the regular content. So they'll play up Ryan Drummond talking to SEGA (which could mean anything), and they'll play up Max Mittleman being a good Sonic voice, but it's all talk that means nothing right now.

It's fun to talk about potential voice actors for Sonic, but everyone needs to keep their expectations in check instead of confirming random rumours and discussions as fact.