Awoo.

Sega recasting voice actors for main characters(Sonic, Tails Amy etc)

Wraith

Craig wasn't the best, Jason and Jaleel are tied for my favorite.

I don't agree with Ben being his Va in the first place Ben was straight up annoying and made the movie feel somewhat annoying as well.

Sonic is not a whiny lonely loser child, Sonic is a confident, reckless, gotta go fast rebelious teen hedgehog!!!

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Also, the fact that this is being announced right now, certainly indicates the next game announcement isn't super far off anymore.

This could imply that Craig is doing his last game with the team (i'm grabbing myself a copy).

Craig was a try-hard but as @Strickerx5 said

8 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

While I was critical or Roger during the initial years, his Sonic grew on me to honestly become one of the strongest things about this series currently. While I felt the same way with Jason when he was replaced, I can't help but feel that Sega's decision here is a lot more... foreboding.

Like they're, again, fixing things about the series that don't need fixing instead of honing in on the stuff that does.

Anyways, Roger is a a great VA and was a great Sonic. I'm just sorry his talent wasn't better utilized.

Why was Sonic Boom ended was Craig going to leave early and Sega just needed him to act a lil for Forces.

If Ben doesn't take his place who will and will they actully be good at the role.

Also SEGA WHY THE HELL DID YOU DO THIS TO US!!!!

You know what really sucks is that Roger never really got a chance to flex his range with Sonic, because the scripts of the past few games have just been so god awful. So now we'll never know how he could handle a different type of script if given the chance, and he'll be mostly remembered as the meme voice for Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 2

7 minutes ago, Natie said:

Oh god is it time for the next VA round already? It feels like it hasnt been long enough.

Game companies rarely pay for Hollywood people, so I really doubt the Ben Schwartz thing. Game VA/Anime Dubbing has its own insular pool.

It's been over 10 years, Roger is the longest lasting English VA for Sonic. Probably because the game he debuted in was a big success.

As for it being someone other than Ben, I would've said that Bryce Papenbrook is an obvious shoe-in, but as of TSR he's voicing Silver. So I'm honestly not sure who else it could be, maybe Sega will just swallow their pride and use some of that Yakuza money to hire a Hollywood actor.

3 minutes ago, Redemption said:

This could imply that Craig is doing his last game with the team (i'm grabbing myself a copy).

I was thinking more because he won't be in the next game.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

You know what really sucks is that Roger never really got a chance to flex his range with Sonic, because the scripts of the past few games have just been so god awful. So now we'll never know how he could handle a different type of script if given the chance, and he'll be mostly remembered as the meme voice for Sonic. 

Wow never took this in mind. I hate being dissapointed by this franchise it feels like ever since after 06 they got lazy and quit.

2 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

It's been over 10 years, Roger is the longest lasting English VA for Sonic. Probably because the game he debuted in was a big success.

As for it being someone other than Ben, I would've said that Bryce Papenbrook is an obvious shoe-in, but as of TSR he's voicing Silver. So I'm honestly not sure who else it could be, maybe Sega will just swallow their pride and use some of that Yakuza money to hire a Hollywood actor.

I hope they don't hire anymore annoying actors to play him. Jason sounded heroic and like the real sonic. Jaleel showed Sonic's additude, Roger showed Sonic can be sarcastic and not cheesy.

I hate this change because it makes me afraid that future changes are gonna make or break this series.

Sooner or later something is gonna give way.

5 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I must be getting old, time's going by way too quickly lol.

It's a shame he had to spend his tenure with scripts like that, but I guess Griffith's stuff wasn't very well written either.

• Thumbs Up 5

The game is probably still a ways off but the cartoon was mentioned not too long ago and this probably has more to do with that. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Nine times out of ten, this will probably be another paradigm shift with the series. The voice actors always seem to get replaced to coincide with that. 

• My Emmerdoods 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The game is probably still a ways off but the cartoon was mentioned not too long ago and this probably has more to do with that. 

The cartoon is years away, isn't it?

9 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Well, it's not like there haven't been VA's in Sonic games that have voiced more than 1 character.

Colleen Villard voiced Tails and Charmy, for example.

Just now, AlphaRuby said:

Well, it's not like there haven't been VA's in Sonic games that have voiced more than 1 character.

Colleen Villard voiced Tails and Charmy, for example.

Not quite the same given Charmy is a very minor character. 

In fact, I think Forces was the second time he had a spoken line in the last decade since Generations. 

I'm torn. On one hand, I don't think Roger's voice was a very good fit for Sonic. Too deep. Sounded too much to me like an adult trying to sound like a teenager, very "How do you do, fellow kids?".  If I were casting him for a role in Sonic, I'd have him as Knuckles. If you've heard him as Ezio you'll see he can do deep and mellow really well.

On the other hand, I feel bad. This guy did the best he could. Despite what you think of the lines and performances he gave, he was obviously very passionate about the role. Can't judge or hate on him for holding on to the role of a lifetime. I mean, imagine something happens to Martinet and someone new has to step in as Mario (with any luck they've recorded years and years of audio from him just in case). Imagine you're the guy that gets to voice MARIO. I'm not even a voice actor and I'd hold on to that role.

Thanks for the sincere effort Roger, hope wherever you go next is fulfilling.

• Thumbs Up 2

Griffith voiced both Sonic and Shadow during a time in the series when Shadow was a major player. Silver is significantly more minor than Shadow, he could still voice Sonic.

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The cartoon is years away, isn't it?

Yeah but I've figured the game isn't actually going to come out this year for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

In fact, I think Forces was the second time he had a spoken line in the last decade since Generations. 

To be fair, Forces was like, just two games after Generations. 

Not quite the same given Charmy is a very minor character. 

True and it wouldn't be the same for Sonic because Sonic has most of the speaking roles.

We really need to fix the games not the Va's

9 minutes ago, Natie said:

It's a shame he had to spend his tenure with scripts like that, but I guess Griffith's stuff wasn't very well written either.

Jason Griffith had Unleashed and Black Knight to work with, and to me, that's the perfect Sonic. Both games had some great moments with good lines.

• Thumbs Up 2

He might not have been my ideal Sonic but he, like the rest of the cast, worked really well with what he was given. You could tell how much he loved the role.

But while I’m sad to see him go, I knew this was coming. We’ve had the same voice cast for a decade, SEGA was gonna replace them eventually.

36 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

If anything happens, at least keep Mike as Eggman. The dude really should have tenure at this point.

I think Mike’s safe. Not only did he survive the last shake up (in fact, SEGA themselves asked him to re-audition if I remember correctly) but he’s a fan favourite; I can’t imagine the outrage that would happen if he was replaced.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Yeah but I've figured the game isn't actually going to come out this year for a while. 

I dunno... We were supposed to get news on the game last year, weren't we? And with it being the 30th anniversary, I can't see the game not coming out this year. I'd imagine we'll get the announcement in April or May, with the actually anniversary being the latest.

• Thumbs Up 3

His last game as Sonic wasn't even a Sonic game, it was fucking Puyo Puyo 2 lmao. 

This is just a damn shame. PUYO PUYO TETRIS 2

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

I dunno... We were supposed to get news on the game last year, weren't we? And with it being the 30th anniversary, I can't see the game not coming out this year. I'd imagine we'll get the announcement in April or May, with the actually anniversary being the latest.

I hope this game is good and i mean really good not i get through this level easy if i spam homing attack and boost

Huh, I thought I saw a rumor of him retiring a while ago.. 

He wouldn't have been my first choice to voice Sonic, but I got used to him over the past 10 years. He was at his best in Boom. Gonna miss him.

Here's hoping someone a bit younger sounding voices Sonic next time.

• Thumbs Up 4

30 minutes ago, Natie said:

Oh god is it time for the next VA round already? It feels like it hasnt been long enough.

Game companies rarely pay for Hollywood people, so I really doubt the Ben Schwartz thing. Game VA/Anime Dubbing has its own insular pool.

Schwartz does a lot of voice work for shows that apparently pay pretty poorly (i.e. Ducktales), so I don't think it'd be much of a stretch to think he'll take the job for what Sega is willing to pay him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Other than Ben, I can't think of another voice that would suit Sonic now. Roger was really off putting when he first debuted as his voice felt too deep for Sonic, but it actually worked really well.

One option is the Adventure 1 and 2 remakes are real and they've got Ryan back.

• Thumbs Up 2