Awoo.

Sega recasting voice actors for main characters(Sonic, Tails Amy etc)

Wraith

21 hours ago, Marcello said:

Someone on Resetera mentioned this guy from Persona would be good as Sonic:

Yeah, I wish I didn't heard that, because now I'll be sad when it doesn't happen.

This dude sounds like a mix between all previous Sonic VAs. He has a bit of each. Which mean he's basically perfect.

Thanks, I love-hate it.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Blue Wisp said:

With stuff like this sometimes I wonder if SEGA even knows what its doing with the franchise. So many voice acting changes, so many gameplay swaps, so many writers coming and going. 

Like, voice acting changes are normal in media I know but Sonic's been through like 6 voice actors in 25 years and I sometimes wonder if it's due to not finding the voice actor or if it's a matter of some kind of "Well your time's up, bring in some new blood" mentality which is kind of mindboggling to think about to me. Sonic's lack of persistent consistency pisses me off to no end. 

Probably money. SEGA wanted Ryan Drummond to leave his union. 4Kids voice actors were some of the cheapest VAs around in the 2000s. It seems that they jump onto cheaper VAs the second they get the chance.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Piko said:

Probably money. SEGA wanted Ryan Drummond to leave his union. 4Kids voice actors were some of the cheapest VAs around in the 2000s. It seems that they jump onto cheaper VAs the second they get the chance.

I believe @Ryannumber1gamer said it best when he said it was about money.

Sega has always struggled with money, Sega is just greedy. 

They probably let Roger go which is sad and dissapointing but that's basically all we've gotten from the franchise sad and dissapointing news.

Maybe i'm being a downer or just steamed at Sega's shitty desicion making. 

We may never get out of this rut of people not even caring for the franchise and Sega just going with the flow ingnoring the fact that Sonic was what put them on the map in the first place but that's okay because sooner or later everyone is gonna give up on Sega.

If they keep feeding their fanbase scraps from the table instead of the praise worthy work we know they can acomplish if they get over their selfish ambitions.

I'm honestly expecting the voice actors to be whatever Canadian VA's they get for the Netflix cartoon honestly. If that's what happens I personally vote Sam Vincent as Sonic myself. He's got a great tone plus he kinda sorta voiced Sonic before. He was his singing voice on Underground.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm honestly expecting the voice actors to be whatever Canadian VA's they get for the Netflix cartoon honestly. If that's what happens I personally vote Sam Vincent as Sonic myself. He's got a great tone plus he kinda sorta voiced Sonic before. He was his singing voice on Underground.

True and I loved Underground so he is my vote too now!

Jaleel white might do a sonic voice In my book, again Roger Craig Smith is not a bad Sonic, but I kinda like Jaleel White voice. A

ROGER CRAIG SMITH SONIC VOICE

2010-2021

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mattjohn234 said:

Jaleel white might do a sonic voice In my book, again Roger Craig Smith is not a bad Sonic, but I kinda li’e Jaleel White voice. A

2010-2021

True Jaleel is on my list

So I was remembering hearing a while back on 4chan hearing where I heard that Roger was apparently wanting to retire from the role of Sonic, and then I realized that was from the initial Sonic Rift post. Go fucking figure.

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/489207069/#489207069

I still have strong doubts about the rest of the rumor though, I really doubt that SEGA is going to bring in Ben Schwartz of all people. SEGA didn't want to spend the money to hire back Ryan Drummond and that's back when they were actually putting money into Sonic. Like I severely doubt that with all the budget cuts they've been doing to Sonic games that they're going to hire someone that works in Hollywood.

In fact that's what I'm going to bet is going on here. RCS is a far more high profile, high demand VA than he was in 2021 and SEGA is actively slashing its spending into what is totally a successful and high grossing franchise that isn't just coasting on the good will of its fanbase, but hey whatever.

RCS definitely is not my favorite Sonic voice, he's really probably my least. But at the same time, like, you have to give props to a dude that's stuck with it for a decade in spite of the cavalcade of failure that's been the Sonic franchise for the past 10 years. I'm not trying to trash on the dude either, he's clearly someone who's exceptionally talented and he's got some really crazy roles because of it.

If we do somehow get Ben Schwartz (lol), then like... SEGA what are you doing, spend some more money on the games themselves plz. But more importantly, I think it's a similar situation where like with RCS where like Roger was really good at Boom Sonic. Ben is really good at Movie Sonic, but I think he'd be a super ill fit for Sonic himself. Like Ben's performance in the Sonic Movie had a really clear underpinning of insecurity that defined that version of the character, but I don't think that'd work for... You know, Sonic.

The only other thing I can think of is bringing back Ryan Drummond, and like... Ryan is very clearly thirsty to be voicing Sonic, and out of everybody I still prefer his Sonic over everyone else, but... SEGA also kinda burned him before, I don't think they really care that he exists which sucks.

Anywho, cheers to you Roger. Have a beer. Punch some boulders. Eat some chilidogs. Get to bambooziling. Hopefully your career stays fruitful my dude.

35 minutes ago, Mattjohn234 said:

Jaleel white might do a sonic voice In my book, again Roger Craig Smith is not a bad Sonic, but I kinda like Jaleel White voice. A

2010-2021

After hearing Jaleel in that Sonic fan film, it’s gonna be a hard no for me. He just doesn’t have it anymore in my eyes.

10 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

How are the "Teen Titans Go" lines any of Roger Craig Smith's fault? I highly doubt he had that kind of influence on the script. Wouldn't that be the fault of the people who wrote for Sonic, like Pontac and Graff?

Not even them; it’s probably the voice director, who was unable to make a non-Pontaff script work. (Team Sonic Racing)

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing on Twitter that apparently Pontaff will also not be writing any future games. Ken Pontac said on the Pizza Party Podcast that it's "been a good run" so I guess that's that.

Personally I never hated their stuff but I have stated a lot that I prefer lighter stories to darker ones for Sonic but I know I'm in the minority on that so feel free to celebrate I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Seeing on Twitter that apparently Pontaff will also not be writing any future games. Ken Pontac said on the Pizza Party Podcast that it's "been a good run" so I guess that's that.

Personally I never hated their stuff but I have stated a lot that I prefer lighter stories to darker ones for Sonic but I know I'm in the minority on that so feel free to celebrate I guess. 

Who else wants to party this is a another big change and a step in the right direction.

WOOT WOOT🎉🎉🎉

• Thumbs Up 1

I won’t be partying until I see proof that the game’s plot is gonna be 100% nothing like Colors Wii’s.  I’ll even take another story like 06.

• Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

9 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah I saw stuff online suggesting that. They way he is nostalgically describing his experience like it won't happen again. I wasn't sure if it is worth its own topic as it feels it could be related to the VA change slightly. We might have to make one about the interview.

I will say though, I sort of didn't like his attitude in that section about how he feels Sonic fans perceived him and it came off condescending. To be clear, I think any and all harassment is bad and should be called out and shut down. But it felt like he was actually suggesting that there is some possibility that most Sonic fans would wish him ill. Similarly it feels like he brushing off any legitimate criticisms there may have been about his work. I could write more but I will leave it at that for now.. 

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That rumour’s been circulating for a while and I really hope it’s true. Pontaff are decent writers, just not for Sonic. I’m not saying that the writing will magically become the pinnacle of video game storytelling, but I hope the writing for future games is in the hands of someone who’s actually familiar with the franchise and its characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Piko said:

That rumour’s been circulating for a while and I really hope it’s true. Pontaff are decent writers, just not for Sonic. I’m not saying that the writing will magically become the pinnacle of video game storytelling, but I hope the writing for future games is in the hands of someone who’s actually familiar with the franchise and its characters.

The initial rumors were based off I believe a LinkedIn status. However that alone wasn't sufficient proof because most video game employees who do acting or writing tend to be freelance and hired on a per project basis so they can really only use the date for the last project they worked on. 

This isn't a full confirmation, but if you hear the way he talks in the interview himself, it sounds like he referring to it being a past gig that was nice. And I agree. I had a huge issue with Sega apparently not giving them material or a bible to understand the franchise, and also the fact that they were not even familiar with the Adventure games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The fandom has been extremely dumb and cruel to them over a bunch of nonsense, but their writing has always been kinda careless / not at all interested in the material and had no intent to take criticism. So it's a bunch of junk all around from either party.

Anyways, out with the old, in with the new. Not to say the next will be all that better; set your expectations to zero.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinda gutted really.  I must admit, hearing his voice the first time was a bit of surprise from how different to everyone before, but in the end it grew on me.  On one hand I was aware Sega might pull this kind of move, but then again Roger's been doing for so long, I simply thought he'd keep doing it for a good while more.  

I sure am going to miss that enthusiastic energy and comedic charm he put into it.  Stuff like his work on Boom was hilarious.  It just feels like such an end of an era and I genuinely thought Sega were past this whole recasting cycle malarkey.  Should've known better.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, so it's actually confirmed Pontaff is gone this time. Not quite, but close enough. Well. Changes are a-coming then. Not necessarily big change, since we don't know anything, but change.

17 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The fandom has treated these two individuals as pariahs for literally an entire decade for the simple reason of not liking their style of writing; they have likely gotten death threats, hatemail, and could barely show their face in the fandom due to how controversial they were. 

I do not blame him whatsoever for having that attitude, because the fandom's attitudes towards him has quite frankly been obnoxious and ridiculously shitty. I have my own gripes with their writing, but the Sonic fanbase is such an obnoxious and vocally loud place that legitimate criticism is often drowned out by a sea of toxicity, and I don't think its worth anyone's time of wading through piles of shit thrown their way just find an actual sane person with an articulate opinion. 

I'm glad they've moved on, not because I wanted them gone, but just so they can finally have a peace of mind and not be hounded anymore. Fuck this fandom, seriously. And I'm specifically talking about the toxic and obnoxious fans, not everyone or the ones who are actually sane and articulate. 

I can respect your viewpoint. 

But for me personally, I just with there was more... nuance in his words if you know what I mean. The stuff he was talking about was criminal level threats. Yet he wasn't able to make a distinction between if it was a loud minority and a loud majority (literally). Is the Sonic fanbase loud and annoying at times? Yes, I agree. But then he also pushes off any criticism as "Sonic fans are haters" as his excuse instead of realizing that most fans constructively wanted to discuss his writing. I could be reading it the wrong way, but it feels like he isn't even being open to feedback and is playing the "Sonic fans tear everyone up" card instead of engaging valid criticisms. Most people who talk about the fanbase at least have the nuance in their discussion to know the vast majority of us are sane, humans. 

In any fanbase you are going to have idiots and wackos who need to be called out. But he is smart enough to know that the majority of fans legitimately would have liked to engage with him. But instead of actually having a conversation about why he did what he did or talking about there being a legitimate reason for backlash, it feels disingenuous. 

Though again, we are on the same page that nobody should ever be threatened or feel unsafe and it is a shame he felt that way. 

Edit:

The fandom has been extremely dumb and cruel to them over a bunch of nonsense, but their writing has always been kinda careless and not at all interested in the material. So it's a bunch of junk all around from either party.

I think this expresses how I feel. Have some fans been harsh and excessive? Yes. But he can not also act like there were legitimate reasons he was being criticized. 

4 minutes ago, mitsunari8 said:

I can respect your viewpoint. 

But for me personally, I just with there was more... nuance in his words if you know what I mean. The stuff he was talking about was criminal level threats. Yet he wasn't able to make a distinction between if it was a loud minority and a loud majority (literally). Is the Sonic fanbase loud and annoying at times? Yes, I agree. But then he also pushes off any criticism as "Sonic fans are haters" as his excuse instead of realizing that most fans constructively wanted to discuss his writing. I could be reading it the wrong way, but it feels like he isn't even being open to feedback and is playing the "Sonic fans tear everyone up" card instead of engaging valid criticisms. Most people who talk about the fanbase at least have the nuance in their discussion to know the vast majority of us are sane, humans. 

In any fanbase you are going to have idiots and wackos who need to be called out. But he is smart enough to know that the majority of fans legitimately would have liked to engage with him. But instead of actually having a conversation about why he did what he did or talking about there being a legitimate reason for backlash, it feels disingenuous. 

Though again, we are on the same page that nobody should ever be threatened or feel unsafe and it is a shame he felt that way. 

I can agree that communication from both sides was ultimately necessary, but toxicity breeds more toxicity. You can't really expect a person to be treated like shit, and then simply not react to it in a negative way.

In my experience, most Sonic fans are just really terrible at articulating their points very well, if not outright throwing venom. I know it's likely due to the demographic of the series likely skewering very young, and most fans being very passionate about their preferences for the series. So it's very difficult to actually have articulate and legitimate discussion, and not everyone is built to endure so many fandom voices from such a large demographic of people. 

It's daunting, and anyone who has and still working with Sonic can tell how difficult it is in dealing with the fandom.  Ken Pontac and Warren Graff were ultimately just hired to write and do their job, nothing and nothing less. And while their writing wasn't really to everyone's taste, I don't really think that warrants the reactions people got. 

They could have definitely handled it better, but the impression I got is that it was just a job for them and nothing more and the rampant toxicity of the fandom probably didn't exactly endear them to the job. Hopefully whoever Sega hires next will have the nerves of steel to endure the fandom's eccentricities, and have a will to improve.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no excuse for making them feel unsafe. I'm not sure why that part is being 'well, actually...'d. What he said was clear cut and there's no reason to doubt him about it because I've seen it in action.

Even if the intent was to discuss his writing constructively for some I don't think much is gained from that conversation from a professional perspective. It's not like there's a filter where only the constructive feedback seeps through. It's mostly just kids without a writing credit to their name going on and on about how they could do a better job despite not understanding the circumstances and requests they were working under. Ian talks openly about getting a lot of the same worthless sludge thrown his way and that's a writer people generally like.

Anyway, I don't like their sense of humor so I'm fine with getting new writers but they were maybe less than half of the problem with new Sonic stories overall. Sonic Team in general hasn't cared about telling a compelling story in years. They don't do any of the work designing levels, bosses and scenarios with the wider narrative in mind that they used to. They design new characters entirely to fill functions in the game instead of developing them with some kind of narrative intent in mind. The story elements are always going to feel like an afterthought until that changes. 

• Thumbs Up 8

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There is no excuse for making them feel unsafe. I'm not sure why that part is being 'well, actually...'d. What he said was clear cut and there's no reason to doubt him about it because I've seen it in action.

I am not "well actually"ing it. Please be careful in what you are saying. I have been very clear that he does not deserved to be threatened and those people doing so are criminal. 

I was just having a conversation about how his interview lacked nuance. But I take it very seriously that you are implying that I am okay in some universe with him being threatened and I want to make sure that is clear that I have called it out. 

I'm with @Kuzu. In general a lot of this fandom is kinda needlessly harsh or cruel. I've seen people on Twitter saying to Roger's face how much they think he sucks and are glad he's gone.

Frankly this fandom has a negative reputation for a reason. 

• Thumbs Up 3