Awoo.

Should the Sonic Movie be included in the games?

Rabbitearsblog

So, I was wondering, with the success of the Sonic movie, do you think that SEGA will try to incorporate some of the movie's story lines and characters portrayals into their games?

For me personally, I don't want this to happen.  Part of the reason why I enjoyed the movie so much was because it was a different take on Sonic's character and if the games try to incorporate that into their story lines, then it might cause the games to go downhill because the movie is still relatively new and who knows if the movie franchise will ever become the cinematic universe Juggernaut that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is.  Also, while the games tend to be a bit flimsy when it comes to portraying Sonic and his friends, I still like the universe they have set up for the character.  They just need to improve on the writing and characterizations of the characters.  Trying to make the games like the movie doesn't guarantee it automatic success if it's not written well.

Probably not, (i hope not).

I say this because Tom and Maddie's world would have to be acknowledged bringing us back to what are we going to call Sonic's world.

Are the old cartoons that call it Mobius going to be forgotten

3 minutes ago, Redemption said:

I say this because Tom and Maddie's world would have to be acknowledged bringing us back to what are we going to call Sonic's world.

Are the old cartoons that call it Mobius going to be forgotten

Also, this would mean that SEGA would have to reintroduce the human characters back into the world again.  Something that they were trying to keep out of the games for a while now.

• Absolutely 1

Just now, Rabbitearsblog said:

Also, this would mean that SEGA would have to reintroduce the human characters back into the world again.  Something that they were trying to keep out of the games for a while now.

This could mean we could get Chris back and possiblily have his own game 

(no i don't count Sonic X on Leapster L-Max)

1 hour ago, Redemption said:

This could mean we could get Chris back and possiblily have his own game 

(no i don't count Sonic X on Leapster L-Max)

I'm not sure if SEGA wants anything to do with Chris, especially since most people didn't seem to like Chris.

• Absolutely 1

Even though Sonic is mainly a video game franchise, it’s also successfully branched out into other mediums such as comics, cartoons and of course, movies. Because of this, some fans don’t play the games at all and I think the movie’s created a lot of these fans.

Incorporating elements of the movie (soon to be movies) into the games would alienate existing fans in an attempt to please people who might not even touch them. It’s better off being its own thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 minutes ago, Piko said:

Even though Sonic is mainly a video game franchise, it’s also successfully branched out into other mediums such as comics, cartoons and of course, movies. Because of this, some fans don’t play the games at all and I think the movie’s created a lot of these fans.

Incorporating elements of the movie (soon to be movies) into the games would alienate existing fans in an attempt to please people who might not even touch them. It’s better off being its own thing.

I agree.  That would be a major issue that SEGA would face if they tried to incorporate the movie elements into the games.  They would have to explain to the players about why Tom and Maddie exist in Sonic's world and why Sonic is acting like a child again when he spent decades being portrayed as a level headed yet snarky character.  It would be a blow to the audience who were already invested in Sonic through the games if they changed his origins and personality to resemble the movies.

If SEGA decided they were going to reboot the whole thing and the movie acted as the starting point for something more cohesive, I'd be all for that.

But just shoehorning it into what we've already got? That, I'm less enthused about.

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

If SEGA decided they were going to reboot the whole thing and the movie acted as the starting point for something more cohesive, I'd be all for that.

But just shoehorning it into what we've already got? That, I'm less enthused about.

Agree.  I think that if SEGA decided to reboot the franchise, they really need to work on making the writing much better than how they have it now.

9 hours ago, Redemption said:

Are the old cartoons that call it Mobius going to be forgotten[?]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they probably already are to a large extent.  I say “probably” because I don’t have any hard statistics on the average age of Sonic players these days (come to that, I think such would be interesting to see), but modern Sonic seems to be, in essence, a new Sonic for a new era.  Classic Sonic is dear to SEGA at the moment, but mostly in the sense that they love the character design and Green Hill motifs, rather than much deeper acknowledgment.

At any rate, SEGA isn’t doing anything to perpetuate that rememberance, Mobius was never canon in SEGA of Japan’s original vision, and while they didn’t care too much about the dissonance back then, after the controversy with Penders, they likely associate Mobius with a slippery slope to more intellectual property squabbles.

No.

More people need to understand not EVERY single piece of Sonic media needs to be included into the game side of the franchise, especially stuff that doesn't benefit it whatsoever. A lot of offshoot content is made to work only in different forms of media. There is nothing important or good to gain from trying to tie everything ever made for this franchise together under a single story universe.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

No.

More people need to understand not EVERY single piece of Sonic media needs to be included into the game side of the franchise, especially stuff that doesn't benefit it whatsoever. A lot of offshoot content is made to work only in different forms of media. There is nothing important or good to gain from trying to tie everything ever made for this franchise together under a single story universe.

I agree.  If they were to include content from the movies into the games, it would only confuse the audience even more and make the games even more complicated in story telling then they need to be.  The reason why the Sonic movie worked so well was because it was its own thing.  What SEGA needs to concentrate on is to improve the story lines in the Modern Sonic games, without relying on the movies to fix them.

I don't really see it happening, nor do I think it's necessary. Not every cartoon or comic that had some success made it into the games, minus Spinball with the cameos from the Freedom Fighters. The most I could see is something like that or some other kind of small nod, but not a full incorporation for the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

If that happens, then I wish there was never a Sonic movie in the first place. They already failed trying to reboot the franchise with Sonic Boom, so it wouldn't be very wise to mix things up all over again! Like what @Piko said, they shouldn't make the existing fans mad trying to please news fans who may never play the games.

Cloudy, the future is...

5 minutes ago, SonicFan2832 said:

If that happens, then I wish there was never a Sonic movie in the first place. They already failed trying to reboot the franchise with Sonic Boom, so it wouldn't be very wise to mix things up all over again! Like what @Piko said, they shouldn't make the existing fans mad trying to please news fans who may never play the games.

Cloudy, the future is...

I agree that SEGA would be wasting their time trying to incorporate the movies into the games, especially if the movie audience never played the games before or have no interest whatsoever in playing the games.  That's like with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, just because the movie audience really enjoyed the movies, doesn't mean that they are going to pick up the comics just like that.

8 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Longclaw is in Dash. 

And so was movie Sonic. (Teen Sonic as they call him) It was just a movie promo event. It's not like they shoehorned her into the Sonic game universe... yet.

27 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Longclaw is in Dash. 

But she's not in the mainstream story lines for the games.

8 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

No.

Consistency? Coherency? A common direction that doesn’t have many splits and splinters that have people getting into frequent slap fights over which part is better that makes this fandom among the more toxic and infamous ones out there? A unified setting that can further develop itself over the course of years instead of randomly throwing out the whole thing on whatever whim comes to mind? A franchise that doesn’t have to segment itself as a means of catering to one group at the expense of others? I can make a bigger list than that, because frankly we’ve already seen many times over what splitting them apart does, and it hasn’t always done this franchise many favors over the past decade.

Who are you to say that nothing good comes from trying to have them in one setting or that it doesn’t benefit it after the movie beat Detective Pikachu in the box and gained appeal among many that actually doubted it would succeed? On top of that, who says that offshoot content can’t work else where given the hundreds of other franchises out there that have done just that with their own characters, particularly this one that managed to succeed in doing so with live action of all things? (which I personally believe they should have done full animation instead, but I’m not arguing against the success) 

People need to understand that personal grudges and dislikes don’t define what does or doesn’t work in a media, because more often than not it has less to do with whether or not it works and more to do with them not wanting it to have any good attention given to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Consistency? Coherency? A common direction that doesn’t have many splits and splinters that have people getting into frequent slap fights over which part is better that makes this fandom among the more toxic and infamous ones out there? A unified setting that can further develop itself over the course of years instead of randomly throwing out the whole thing on whatever whim comes to mind? A franchise that doesn’t have to segment itself as a means of catering to one group at the expense of others? I can make a bigger list than that, because frankly we’ve already seen many times over what splitting them apart does, and it hasn’t always done this franchise many favors over the past decade.

Who are you to say that nothing good comes from trying to have them in one setting or that it doesn’t benefit it after the movie beat Detective Pikachu in the box and gained appeal among many that actually doubted it would succeed? On top of that, who says that offshoot content can’t work else where given the hundreds of other franchises out there that have done just that with their own characters, particularly this one that managed to succeed in doing so with live action of all things? (which I personally believe they should have done full animation instead, but I’m not arguing against the success) 

People need to understand that personal grudges and dislikes don’t define what does or doesn’t work in a media, because more often than not it has less to do with whether or not it works and more to do with them not wanting it to have any good attention given to it.

It is to late for "Consistency." How would you tie Sonic Boom into the main series? or how about Sonic SatAM/the Archie Sonic comics, The Sonic OVA movie, Sonic X... the list goes on. Or are you saying only the Sonic Movie should be tied into the games? if so not only is that clear bias, it also doesn't work without a full reboot to the games as the movie line is following it's own unique canon. I watched the movie 2 times and enjoyed it enough as it's own separate thing. But it's ideas absolutely do not work for the games.

And no, people didn't watch it because it was a amazing movie~ People watched it simply because it was bloody the Sonic franchise's first ever big movie. After they fixed their awful old design for Movie Sonic, that alone sealed the deal for many people's interest in it, the story itself did not matter anymore. FYI It was a generic animal & human buddy Hollywood story with Sonic's face glued over the top. AKA nothing special.

Here is the thing, Sonic fans often bring up the same old discussion of "Should SEGA include this content into the games?" after every half decent piece of Sonic media gets made no matter how logical or not it would be to do so. Also most other long running franchises in fact DO NOT even try to tie together every offshoot/separate story universe into a single canon for that series. Look at any DC or Marvel stuff or other ones like TMNT. At most they just throw their fans a bone by saying every different separate canon exists within alternate dimensions.

Some fans worry to much about the idea of a "unified setting" not realizing how impossible or pointless to ask for that is for these bigger types of media franchises. The best fans can hope for is for every new offshoot media to take better usage from the source material. But as the movie shows, other outsourced studios are never interested in that, they want to do their own thing regardless of how fans feel. And that type of behavior won't change with other creators in the future if they have any amount of freedom to create what they want.

50 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

It’s to late for "Consistency." How would you tie Sonic Boom into the main series? or how about Sonic SatAM/the Archie Sonic comics, The Sonic OVA movie, Sonic X... the list goes on

By reintroducing the characters and their setting into the world. Just like they did with the Chaotix.

Seriously, how many times does this really need to be said every time someone says “You can’t bring X into Y” when people keep pointing to them doing the exact same thing with Z, whether it’s Boom, SatAM, AoSTH, X, OVA, etc? 

Or are you saying only the Sonic Movie should be tied into the games?

If that were the case, I would’ve flat out told you. But I’m pretty sure you know that’s not what I’m saying.

if so not only is that clear bias, it also doesn't work without a full reboot to the games as the movie line is following it's own unique canon. I watched the movie 2 times and enjoyed it enough as it's own separate thing. But it's ideas absolutely do not work for the games.

Says who? The movie had to use ideas, or rather the Characters from the games to even have a snowball’s chance in hell of working; why is it somehow impossible the other way around?

And no, people didn't watch it because it was a amazing movie~ 

Where the hell did I even say that anywhere in the post you just quoted?

Here is the thing, Sonic fans often bring up the same old discussion of "Should SEGA include this content into the games?" after every half decent piece of Sonic media gets made no matter how logical or not it would be to do so. Also most other long running franchises in fact DO NOT even try to tie together every offshoot/separate story universe into a single canon for that series. Look at any DC or Marvel stuff or other ones like TMNT. At most they just throw their fans a bone by saying every different separate canon exists within alternate dimensions.

And here I was hoping not to use Marvel as an example to prove my point.

DC, Marvel, and even TMNT are the very examples that prove you wrong because they’ve done exactly what you just claimed they don’t do—they’ve brought back some of the most obscure characters like Vixen, Stargirl, and Booster Gold in works like Justice League Unlimited and adapted them and many others into other works when the opportunity presents itself like in their DCAU; Marvel was damn near king of the entire movie industry with because they adapted every offshoot and story they could work with as they built the MCU and are still going; and TMNT isn’t above reintroducing its characters into its works like Yojimbo Usagi and the Triceraton Empire (mind you I haven’t watched many TMNT shows past the the 90s version or the 2003 cartoon, as I’m not a massive TMNT fan, but the point still remains).

So not sure why you’re using those cases when they prove the exact opposite point you’re making, so you’re only shooting yourself in the foot here.

Some fans worry to much about the idea of a "unified setting" not realizing how impossible or pointless to ask for that is for these bigger types of media franchises. The best fans can hope for is for every new offshoot media to take better usage from the source material. But as the movie shows other outsourced studios are never interested in that, they want to do their own thing regardless of how fans feel. And that type of behavior won't change with other creators in the future if they have any amount of freedom to create what they want.

And some fans don’t even put any actual thought or effort into trying and simply dismiss ideas on a whim rather than anything concrete. Whether or not it actually happens isn’t even the point, because it isn’t impossible or pointless just because you don’t seem fond of the idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

So not sure why you’re using those cases when they prove the exact opposite point you’re making.

Pretty sure you have who is wrong backwards. They might bring back stuff or cross them over sometimes, but they continue to create separate canons that exist only "in alternate universes." and never do they bring over every spinoff character ever made into a single story universe, when they do any it is often just the most popular ones. So no, my point stands while yours punches itself in the face.

And what exactly do you want from the movie anyways? For some human guy named Tom the cop to randomly become Sonic's friend/daddy figure? For Eggman to look like Jim Carrey? For Sonic to have been raised by a owl when he was baby? There is nothing new there that makes the games better. The games already struggle as it is to find a use for it's side-cast.... and yet you want them to include every spinoff character every made into the series canon for some desperate reason? To amuse your idea for a moment, lets say they did exactly what you are saying... why do you think that would make fans happy? they still will prefer the original media where whatever spinoff ideas came from instead of some random new version of whatever.

For example putting characters from the Sonic OVA movie into the games won't make me be happy. because I liked the unique setting/world/characterization/tone of that show, the whole deal! I don't need them to rip-out Sara from it & put her in the games... as if I should care about that? And how do you include the classic versions of the characters into the same world as the modern cast? or the Boom designs? because fans will still fight to death over which designs they prefer regardless what is done. And no, forcefully changing Classic Sonic to "Kid Sonic" and Boom Sonic into "Adult Sonic" with Modern Sonic being left as "Teen Sonic" is simply a terrible idea. SEGA did the right move by putting Classic & Boom into alternate universes.

44 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

And some fans don’t even put any actual thought or effort into trying and simply dismiss ideas on a whim rather than anything concrete.

And don't pretend here anybody who disagrees with you doesn't put any thought into these subjects, as if you are the only smart person on the planet. Get over yourself.

40 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Pretty sure you have who is wrong backwards. They might bring back stuff or cross them over sometimes, but they continue to create separate canons that exist only "in alternate universes." and never do they bring over every spinoff character ever made into a single story universe, when they do any it is mostly just the most popular ones. So no, my point stands while yours punches itself in the face.

I’m sorry, but you don’t get to move the goalposts here—there is no difference to what Marvel did (especially in the alternate universes, which do this even more than the films) and what we’re talking about, and you know it. So don’t act like you have one on me when anyone can see the obvious here.

And what exactly do you want from the movie anyways?

Nothing really. I just wouldn’t be bothered if things from it somehow made it into the games.

And don't pretend here anybody who disagrees with you doesn't put any thought into these subjects, as if you are the only smart person on the planet. Get over yourself.

I couldn’t care less if anyone disagrees with me on a subject. This is the usual “I don’t like it, therefore it doesn’t work” ranting with hardly any thought as to whether it can and this fandom has consistently done this on every topic since 2005, so I’ll call it out as such every time it happens.

• Thumbs Up 2

Based purely on what the movie introduces I would say no personally. I expect it to influence the games to some  significant degree but I hope it isn't much. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It's plain and simple. A movie tie in is the last thing this franchise needs. When i think about it a couple red flags come to mind.

1. Voice Actor:f Ben is going to play him their gonna have to pay a lot of money

2. Universal Connection: How are all the Sonic Storylines going to connect and not only connect but make sense

3.Opening The Doors For Other Things: Let's face it fans are needy as it is, this is just a gonna light the spark for lot's of storylines becoming canon and some storylines should be left uncanon.