Awoo.

What Can We Expect From The Next Generation Of Sonic Fans and The Future of The Sonic Games?

Redemption

4 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Well for the 'Next Generation Of Sonic Fans', the cringe era Sonic games are gonna be the ones they played and gonna be nostalgic about. So they'll probably want even more of that because for them, that is what Sonic is.

But what about this new post-cringe era that’s coming? Or is this upcoming era somehow going to be the cringe era as opposed to the one we’re currently leaving? I’m confused here.

• Chuckle 1

Sonic is more than what Sega makes him up to be. From the moment I heard the sing-song Sega on the first game i felt good. Sonic is all about having fun, being free as the wind, never giving up, Friendship, Overcoming loss, trusting those who you hate, second chances and never giving up!

That is the Sonic i grew up with and he will always live on in my heart no matter who writes the script or is the Va. I know these fans have a history of being harsh but we also have a history of being patient and with patient comes humility so we have to let Sega prove to themselves (and us) that they care about Sonic and the franchise. I hate when people put others down to try to make themselves feel better.

This is a message to everyone. Just imagine if we stopped our relentless negative doubt we give this franchise a chance. Imagine the ideas we could aspire if we got over ourselves and gave Sega a chance just one more time. I agree Sega has had more than just a second chance ( a bajillion chances) but sometimes that is just what you need because until you realize that others are more important than yourself.

You start to gain relationships and along the way some popularity and of course money. Naka and Oshima made a lot of mistakes and went through a lot for the first game and got us hooked in the first place. Think about that if they went through all that trouble just to make a good game.

Why wouldn't Sega put that same fire, same passion of Naka and Oshima and help make this franchise take off like a rocket ship with a brilliant pilot showing us the beauty of the galaxy? I don't know honestly i feel the passion here is dead. So much so that some are under some much stress that they leave the forum. 

Why do you feel the passion here is dead? and how can we reignite the fire?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

39 minutes ago, Snowragnarok said:

But what about this new post-cringe era that’s coming? Or is this upcoming era somehow going to be the cringe era as opposed to the one we’re currently leaving? I’m confused here.

That's as good as anybody's guess, since we don't know yet what direction SEGA is gonna take Sonic next. They might change things, they might do the exact same thing they've been doing for the last decade, just with different people.

I probably interpreted the question differently, because I took 'The Next Generation Of Sonic Fans' as the new audience it garnered in the past decade. Since, you know, we don't know the 'next generation of fans', since we don't even know the 'next generation' of Sonic games, or the general direction of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I expect SEGA and Sonic Team to not have learned a single damn thing again. They will try making things their way completely missing the point, like attempting a new 2D Sonic game to appeal to the Sonic Mania fans and maybe a Adventure-like game to appeal to the Adventure fans, but everything will be super artificial and shallow.

I'll only ever get excited for a new Sonic game again if SEGA themselves come out and announces that the 2D games will be handled by Taxman and co. new studio "Evening Star" or if the SA remake isn't done by Sonic Team, but a different studio.

I can't and I'm probably won't get excited for Sonic Team's next 3D Sonic game, just like how it was with Forces, which I didn't even bought. I'm past the age of buying any crap just because "it's Sonic and I like Sonic".

• Fist Bump 1

I'm always thirsty for more character driven games. Like I always feel like Sonic has so much strength in its characters if you utilize them but it feels like they don't want to. Forces was so close to attempting to be that way, but barely hit the mark. Is it weird to say that I'd like to live in a world where 06 wasn't a weird glitchy mess? Because it has the core elements of an Adventure style game that I love, being able to play multiple characters and their own stories, but of course it falls flat for a multitude of reasons. 

Do I have faith New Gen Sonic will put out something that will please fans and game critics alike? Not really. But I also feel like fans that actually love the franchise and critics are not a hivemind so that's why it would be difficult to please both. I think someone mentioned that we had a lot of missed potential, and I definitely agree. Ultimately so much talent was brought on board, like with the shorts and the comics, that it feels weird that the games felt subpar compared. 

So I genuinely want the gaming community to not look down on Sonic so much at most. But at least, to make a Sonic game that takes advantage of its resources. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

We'll get fans who grew up with Forces and start calling for it's (bad) design and (even worse) writing to be carried forward, which is proof that we are living in the worst timeline.

• Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Tyson's comments in the recent interview are interesting;

The artist also opined on SEGA’s intentions for the use of Classic Sonic, adding, “for what it’s worth I probably wouldn’t have chosen to do a classic show anyway. Sega is never going to return to classic wholesale, and the split isn’t doing this franchise any favors. The goal should be to just make Modern stuff good enough that people don’t need to reminisce anymore, imo.”

However now the 2022 show is revealed to include a multiverse so that makes one wonder if this really is just a comment! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

1 minute ago, expansivelovestories said:

However now the 2022 show is revealed to include a multiverse so that makes one wonder if this really is just a comment! 

That is so true i was thinking the same thing. Tyson Heese may or may not be right about Classic Sonic going away. He could just be leaving in the games and living on in the new show,

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

I do wonder if anybody who is working on the show told Tyson Hesse what it was all about for him to make that comment.  Maybe Classic Sonic might show up in the new series or maybe not.  But, I did hear that SEGA doesn't want to focus on Classic Sonic from this point forward, so maybe Classic Sonic won't show up in the new series.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Yes; i did initially wonder if he was somehow aware that, say, a new 2D game could jump from the classic Sonic timeline and universe to a new one that would essentially need to include, of course the same engine and most of the characters; which could be the same universe and timeline as the 3D games!  Then i found out about Prime revolving around a multiverse scenario and based on that it felt much less likely.  Now I am considering it again, based on what you have both said!! 

If switching to a somewhat different world allowed them to introduce aspects and ideas either story-wise or in terms of what exists in the universe, that would feel too out of place in the original classic universe, then it would ultimately allow a more creative new 2D trilogy rather than trying to show what happens after the Sonic 3 & Knuckles plus the few Mania plot points have both concluded?? 

I was and still am hoping for the latter but i feel like there would be good sides to either one!

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

Yes; i did initially wonder if he was somehow aware that, say, a new 2D game could jump from the classic Sonic timeline and universe to a new one that would essentially need to include, of course the same engine and most of the characters; which could be the same universe and timeline as the 3D games!  Then i found out about Prime revolving around a multiverse scenario and based on that it felt much less likely.  Now I am considering it again, based on what you have both said!! 

If switching to a somewhat different world allowed them to introduce aspects and ideas either story-wise or in terms of what exists in the universe, that would feel too out of place in the original classic universe, then it would ultimately allow a more creative new 2D trilogy rather than trying to show what happens after the Sonic 3 & Knuckles plus the few Mania plot points have both concluded?? 

I was and still am hoping for the latter but i feel like there would be good sides to either one!

This makes sense and could work if they put in a decent effort.

I just wanna jump to the topic of VA's. How long do you think this tradition of Va swapping is going to go on?

Just gonna clarify this right now Ryan was good but i don't think he's coming back. Jason was good but i don't think he would come back, Jaleel was good but he is definetly not coming back. So where are we many have talked about Max Middleman and others but who do you think will best benefit Sonic's voice not just for ourselves but for the future generation.