Awoo.

Cut Content Appreciation Thread

Piko

Few games turn out exactly how the developers originally imagined; throughout development, some things are changed, reworked into something else or cut entirely. Thankfully, Sonic is a gold mine for unused content, with almost every mainline game having some remnants of their development available to the public, from unused sprites/models to music demos to playable prototypes. I've created this topic for people to share and discuss anything from the Sonic series that didn't make the final cut, or was changed significantly.

While I'm at it, I might as well post one of my personal favourites: the unfinished Sonic Heroes intro. Not only is most of the animation unfinished - with some shots still being storyboard sketches - but the lyrics hadn't been written yet so you get this masterpiece instead.

Truly life changing lyrics.

• Nice Smile 1

Probably my favorite is Honey the Cat. An entire character cutout of Sonic the Fighters, but still functional enough to be plugged back into the roster by enterprising hackers. It's a story with all the makings of a creepy pasta sans the creepy bit.  

2031833747_GlitchintheSystem.png.1e376881cdc5bfceec32e26faedff4c9.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Before Sonic 2 mobile, I'd have said the old Hidden Palace.

That sprite of Robotnik flying to the background in Sonic 3 as the Death Egg crashes at Launch Base.

The small portion of the Sonic CD intro where we briefly see an alternate shot of the chained mountain and Little Planet.

Desert Dazzle was an awesome name for a zone, wish that made it in a game. At least it still conceptually made it in Mania.

The weird wrecking ball in Sonic 1's Green Hill. I finally got to toy with that one thanks to the prototype.

Madonna, Tiara Boobowski and Honey the Cat (let's get new missing posters).

Almost anything from SA1, especially Super Sonic in stages since he can theoretically work according to mods (too bad every rerelease of SA1 never actually implemented it).

Same for 06.

9 minutes ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

The weird wrecking ball in Sonic 1's Green Hill. I finally got to toy with that one thanks to the prototype.

Does anyone even know what the purpose of it was? I’m assuming it was an obstacle but I also like the idea of Sonic being able to roll it to clear enemies.

14 minutes ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

Madonna, Tiara Boobowski and Honey the Cat (let's get new missing posters).

Although not much is known about her, I think Madonna’s an interesting character. She was basically a prototype Amy; Sonic was her romantic interest (except in Madonna’s case it was reciprocated) and apparently she would chase him around.

In a way, a hot human girlfriend kinda would’ve helped to sell the “cool” image SEGA wanted Sonic to have. I can definitely see why she was cut though.

I was gonna link the Beta level designs from Sonic Forces, like Mortar Canyon. But that would've been a rant about how they took level designs in a very boring, mindless game and made them even more boring and mindless, and this is an "Appreciation" thread so I guess my nomination is literally everything from 06.

The entirety of Sonic Xtreme. /thread

But I'd say all the lost stages from Sonic 2, as well as all the stuff from SA1 such as the mecha dragon mini-boss in Sky Chase.

More of an early idea in a story bible, but the premise of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog taking place before Sonic SatAM is hilarious. Almost wish they did this in the final two shows: http://ledastudios.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=243381

spacer.png

For something more concrete as cut content, I find it interesting how Sonic Colors was going to follow a different act structure more inline with previous games: https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Colors_(Wii)

The game's files, specifically actstgmission.lua, reveal that Sonic Colors was originally going to follow the same level structure as previous Sonic games like Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Sonic Advance 2, and Sonic Unleashed: two main Acts followed by a boss. The other Acts would have been optional side-missions, which explains why they all reuse level geometry from other levels. In most cases, the two main Acts were split into separate Acts. The original act format was, as follows:

Tropical Resort Act 1 was split into Acts 1 and 2, while Act 2 became Act 3.

Sweet Mountain Act 1 was split into Acts 1 and 2. Act 2 was split into Acts 3 and 5.

Planet Wisp Act 1 was split into Acts 1 and 4, while Act 2 became Act 6.

Aquarium Park Act 1 was split into Acts 1 and 4, while Act 2 became Act 6.

Asteroid Coaster Act 1 was split into Acts 1 and 2, while Act 2 became Act 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

For something more concrete as cut content, I find it interesting how Sonic Colors was going to follow a different act structure more inline with previous games: https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Colors_(Wii)

I always wondered why each area has like 6 acts each. I had no idea about this and, frankly, I kinda wish they’d kept it that way; most of the levels definitely feel like side missions rather than actual levels. But I guess Colours Wii is short enough as it is and going with the traditional act structure would have made it too short to justify the price of admission.