Awoo.

Sonic Music

sassytassie

Anyone else love Sonic music as much as I do? I listen to it all the time. Loved it as a kid, still love it at almost 28 years old lol. Mainly Crush 40's stuff but also some stage tracks and character themes done by other artists. It'd be very hard for me to rank my favourites, but I'll try.

Live & Learn

Open Your Heart

It Doesn't Matter (Sonic's Theme - SA2)

It Doesn't Matter (Sonic's Theme - SA)

Sonic Boom

This Machine (Team Dark)

What I'm Made of

My Sweet Passion

Believe in Myself (Tails' Theme - SA2)

Unknown From M.E. (Knuckles' Theme - SA2)

Unknown From M.E. (Knuckles' Theme - SA)

Never Turn Back

Knight of the Wind

Team Chaotix

Throw it All Away (Shadow's Theme - SA2)

Ok that was reallyyy hard for me to rank accurately lmao but I tried.

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree that Crush 40 era was my favorite era, but I love some of the classic songs too.

Lava Reef Zone (Act I) is the de facto best song from the Classic era. And despite Sonic 3D not being a great game, its music was all great.

Scrap Brain from Game Gear is my favorite 8-bit song. But I enjoy the 16-bit counterpart as well.

I actually prefer SA1's "Believe in Myself", despite the somewhat odd lyrics, it just seems way more uplifting and happy to me, and suits Tails more.

My favorite SA1 stage theme... and this is a very difficult pick, because they're all so good, but... Final Egg, "Act II" of Sonic. There's this feeling of adrenaline and urgency in it which really highlights this final stage leading to a boss fight.

SA2's best stage theme is Eternal Engine and I think we all agree on that. Or anything from Knuckles, especially Pumpkin Hill. But Live & Learn is great too.

For Sonic Heroes, I love "Follow Me" (Team Rose's theme), despite how corny it is, but it always makes me smile.

For the Advance games, I love the Sky Canyon theme, even though the level is horrible.

2 hours ago, Angyu said:

I agree that Crush 40 era was my favorite era, but I love some of the classic songs too.

Lava Reef Zone (Act I) is the de facto best song from the Classic era. And despite Sonic 3D not being a great game, its music was all great.

Scrap Brain from Game Gear is my favorite 8-bit song. But I enjoy the 16-bit counterpart as well.

I actually prefer SA1's "Believe in Myself", despite the somewhat odd lyrics, it just seems way more uplifting and happy to me, and suits Tails more.

My favorite SA1 stage theme... and this is a very difficult pick, because they're all so good, but... Final Egg, "Act II" of Sonic. There's this feeling of adrenaline and urgency in it which really highlights this final stage leading to a boss fight.

SA2's best stage theme is Eternal Engine and I think we all agree on that. Or anything from Knuckles, especially Pumpkin Hill. But Live & Learn is great too.

For Sonic Heroes, I love "Follow Me" (Team Rose's theme), despite how corny it is, but it always makes me smile.

For the Advance games, I love the Sky Canyon theme, even though the level is horrible.

Agreed on a lot of this. I love some of the classic songs too, many from Sonic CD. I know what you mean about Follow Me lol. The lyrics are definitely corny, but it's still good. Same with We Can (Team Sonic's Theme).

• Nice Smile 1

The Sonic 1,2,3,K tracks. "*ba da ba da, ba, da* *boom* COME ON!" (S3 mini boss)

The Crush 40 songs. "... hanging on the edge of tomorrow!" (You know that one.)

The Sonic Rush/Rush Adventure songs. "...this is what, this is what, this is, this is what, this is what, this is, this is what, this is what, this is, this is what you need, what you need." (You'll never guess it.)

Every track and song in Sonic Unleashed. "...the possibilities are never ending!" (Rooftop running, windmill dodging, desert drifting, the possibilities are literally endless!)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

S1

GREEN HILL ZONE

STAR LIGHT ZONE

MARBLE ZONE

S2

EMERALD HILL 

AQUATIC RUINS

OIL OCEAN

METROPOLIS

DEATH EGG

S3

ANGEL ISLAND A2

MARBLE GARDEN A1

CARNIVAL NIGHT A1 and 2

ICECAP ACT 1 and 2

LAUNCH BASE ACT 1

I don't have a particular favourite level theme, but I really like Final Fortress mainly because of how ominous it is; even after the first few notes you just know it's the last level. I'm also a fan of the JP/PAL versions of Stardust Speedway (Bad Future's my favourite, but the original is good too) and Metallic Madness.

As for vocal themes, What I'm Made Of is easily my favourite, hands down. Most final boss themes aim to intimidate you and make you feel threatened, but What I'm Made Of turns that concept on its head; in this case, the boss is scared of you. Live & Learn is a close second for similar reasons.

Yes MEEEE!! 

Always have it on. Too many faves to mention really. My current go to is Amy Hannam's 'Light of Hope' from Sonic Forces. I also love the the 'Spindash' albums and good quality remixes of level themes. 

Also, just gonna mention:

Now that we're in the age of Spotify streaming, any new Sonic vocal song could end up making main music charts like the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. It happened to the Kingdom Hearts 3 theme song (which marked Utada's first Hot 100 appearance). So that would be interesting, even if nobody really cares about those charts anymore.

I love all the tunes and tracks from SA2. 

My favorite is: 

Captures the spirit of Sonic IMHO. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, there's so many good tunes in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. It's hard to pick which game is my absolute favorite soundtrack wise. I think my favorite era for music certainly was the Adventure era, or perhaps just like SA1 through Unleashed. 06 had a lot of great music in it, and it has some of my favorite music in the series. I'll post some of my favorites in the spoilers so the whole page isn't filled with videos. 

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 1

Waaaay, waaay too many to list. I actually made a playlist that I titled "Hidden Gems" of Sonic Games. There's a lot of those too. 

I'll do a quick top 5 of my favorite underrated tracks in no order...

-Final Egg Act 2 - Sonic Adventure

-The Machine - Sonic Spinball

-Endless Mine - Sonic 3 & Knuckles

-Collision Chaos Zone (USA) - Sonic CD

-Rusty Ruin Zone Act 1 - Sonic 3D Blast Genesis

Also here is my playlist if you want chill Sonic music to listen to. 

On 3/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, Winston said:

Man, there's so many good tunes in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. It's hard to pick which game is my absolute favorite soundtrack wise. I think my favorite era for music certainly was the Adventure era, or perhaps just like SA1 through Unleashed. 06 had a lot of great music in it, and it has some of my favorite music in the series. I'll post some of my favorites in the spoilers so the whole page isn't filled with videos. 

Reveal hidden contents

Totally agree. I was so excited to see a lot of the soundtracks are on Spotify so I made a playlist of my favourite songs. Most of them are from SA & SA2. I literally workout and drive around to some of the songs lol they're just too good.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:21 PM, GOAT said:

Waaaay, waaay too many to list. I actually made a playlist that I titled "Hidden Gems" of Sonic Games. There's a lot of those too. 

I'll do a quick top 5 of my favorite underrated tracks in no order...

-Final Egg Act 2 - Sonic Adventure

-The Machine - Sonic Spinball

-Endless Mine - Sonic 3 & Knuckles

-Collision Chaos Zone (USA) - Sonic CD

-Rusty Ruin Zone Act 1 - Sonic 3D Blast Genesis

Also here is my playlist if you want chill Sonic music to listen to. 

Nice! I'll check those out for sure.

• 2 months later...

Sonic music, in general, is really amazing. There's so much good music it's kind of hard to list all of it. I think the classics, especially CD (the Japanese version, not the American) and 3K are amazing. Sonic R and the Saturn version of 3d blast have great tracks (I do like the genesis 3d blast tracks but the Saturn ones are very underrated). The adventure games have some great music (I really love the Knuckles raps in SA2), Heroes has some good tracks, Rush of course, Sonic '06 has some amazing tracks, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, I could go on. My absolute favorites from the classics probably include Hydrocity, Flying Battery, Aquatic Ruin, Angel Island, Stardust Speedway, and Quartz Quadrant. Dreamcast era, Emerald Coast, Live and Learn, Aquatic Mine and Meteor Herd, Security Hall, etc. There's also Planet Wisp, Cool Edge, Windmill Isle, Wave Ocean. I could go on forever so best to stop while I'm ahead. Sega always knocks it out of the park with music.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Music is pretty much among the highest tiers of Video Game music for me, generally speaking. Minus a few rare exceptions like Chronicles, you can take the soundtrack of practically any well known Sonic game and it's almost guaranteed to be phenomenal. Sonic Music covers a huge range of genres ranging from buttrock to jazz to cinematic orchestra to hip-hop to techno to dubstep to edgy metal to pretty much anything you can think of. Even back in the 16 bit days, Sonic Music stood out making incredible use of the Genesis soundchip to have some sensational soundtracks that stand the test of time. And things only got better when they transitioned to real music, with the Adventure games having some of the most memorable video game soundtracks of all time IMO. If there's one thing I can always look forward to for a Sonic game, it's the music.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

• 5 months later...

Crush 40 are an excellent band, they do great rock versions of Sonic songs! Would love to see them live someday! 

Some of my favorite classic Sonic Zone songs:

Mystic Cave Zone from Sonic 2 (as evident by my username)

Hill Top Zone from Sonic 2 (there's some great bass covers of this song up on YouTube)

Flying Battery Zone from Sonic 3

Mushroom Hill Zone from Sonic & Knuckles

and the list goes on & on :)