Awoo.

What's the best Sonic level editor?

Brendle

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I'm interested in making my own levels for one of these Sonic titles - 1, CD, 2, 3, S&K, which ever one is easiest will do for now. As in modding the rom, preferably. I've been looking around and I can't tell which is the best level editor, or are they all bad and the only real way to do it is to edit the Assembly code? I don't know. I'd also like to edit tiles so that I can make my own sprites, but that's a second question really, the level editing question is the important one for now.

Any advice would be great, thank you for your time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, Mattjohn234 said:

I would say Classic sonic simulator or CSO test server bud.

They said modding not a fan game where you create levels. Also, the best level editor is SONLVL or sonED2 and if you want another option then esrael sonic editor (1&2) if you wanna edit sprites then flex 2 and sonmapED are a good choice. In most disassembled versions of Sonic 1,2,3,&k,3&k you shouldn't ever really have to edit levels through assembly code. And i don't know why but i can't find a disassembled version of the regular original CD but there is one but its another release. I think somewhere in 1995-1996 on PC. If you wanna do tile editing you should use SONLVL and if its sonic 1 i highly recommend you use spring yard. And for sprite tiles sonmapED and flex 2 (if needed)

Two more things. if your editing level tiles you may have to delete some tiles to get it to work.

And last for sonmapED: you need to be aware of tiles, so for example the signpost and eggmans face. They both use same tiles and are same on each side. BUT if you add something thats not like, for example (sonic 2 beta signpost on eggman) then you will have a werid monstrosity of a signpost. And palette hacking is simple you can edit level palettes and sonic's with SONLVL. And for sonED2 i think so.

A hack i made:

20210302_224236.png

• Nice Smile 1