Awoo.

Splatoon 3 (Splatfest #16: Springfest!/April 19th - 21st, 2024)

Sonictrainer

6 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

My initial choice was going to be grub, but I like foraging and would probably manage to find food. And taking "fun" seems pointless when you're glum to be stranded and have to fight to survive. What you'd need actually need is gear. 

I'm torn between Gear or Grub myself. The former's handy for the reasons you said, though I think having the food already and aiming to obtain materials from the island isn't a bad option either.

"Fun" is what you pick if you don't actually want to survive.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Am I alone in thinking One Way Ride Through Target Town is easily the worst level in the entire game? The lack of checkpoints mixed with how awful the Trislinger is really makes it feel like a ridiculous difficulty spike and poorly designed/tested.

You're definitely not alone on that. I've seen many already label it as one of the worst stages, and I myself couldn't stand it. Maybe it'll be more manageable with one of the other weapons, but I'm in no rush to go back and see.

This and the previous Splatfest have pretty much guaranteed that the Tri-Slinger's really not my kinda weapon. There's a variant that I've practised with and am interested in trying in proper Turf Wars, but the main version's just not for me.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Am I alone in thinking One Way Ride Through Target Town is easily the worst level in the entire game? The lack of checkpoints mixed with how awful the Trislinger is really makes it feel like a ridiculous difficulty spike and poorly designed/tested.

I alluded to that level in my previous post. It's horrible. The start of the level is easy enough and it honestly most of the level is pretty simple. But the final quarter or so, especially the final set of targets, its ridiculously difficult. And then you have to sit through the entire level level again just to get another chance. The final set of targets following the orange target are so hard to adjust to, especially as you're falling through the air by that point. I hated it. It's one of only a few levels that I didn't beat with all of the available weapons. 

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I alluded to that level in my previous post. It's horrible. The start of the level is easy enough and it honestly most of the level is pretty simple. But the final quarter or so, especially the final set of targets, its ridiculously difficult. And then you have to sit through the entire level level again just to get another chance. The final set of targets following the orange target are so hard to adjust to, especially as you're falling through the air by that point. I hated it. It's one of only a few levels that I didn't beat with all of the available weapons. 

I just finished it with all of the weapons and personally, I didn't find the last tower that bad when you know the trick to it, but the lack of checkpoints is what cinches it as awful. Making you go through the whole gauntlet each and every time to mentally wear you by the stage you get to it (for the record - the trick is one charged shot for the upper targets then spam regular vertical shots as you fall). What continually got me was the Tri-Splater blast shots because they were so finicky and wouldn't activate if you hit the box itself. There's absolutely no reason for this level to be so unforgiving to the degree one missed shot is enough to make you start over.

Not helped by the rail grinding being kinda crap. I had multiple times I got lucky enough to land a very precise shot after a miss to unlock the path, and tried to jump to it, only to plummet because if your inkling/octling isn't perfectly straight and in line, you'll instead just jump off of the rail, rather than jumping to the other rail.

The Blaster and Heavy Splatling isn't as bad but still have their infuriating bits. The final tower is actually awful with the blaster, as you need to get lucky and hit the middle block of the lower blocks on the fall down to land it and being even slightly off will cause one of the blocks to remain. On the other hand, the heavy splatling actually makes the final part the easiest bit, but the rest is harder because those ones are very much designed for blast-type weapons, which the heavy splatling certainly is not. 

Easily the worst level so far. I hope nothing is as awful as this again.

@Ryannumber1gamerI'm watching an LP by a pretty skilled player struggling hard with that level right now. He's said in no uncertain terms that he hates it. And apparently said level was also featured in a Nintendo Tree House broadcast and the two hosts that tried it couldn't beat it.

Other rail based target shooting levels have checkpoints. Why did this one hand to be any different? It's more a test of patience than skill. 

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

@Ryannumber1gamerI'm watching an LP by a pretty skilled player struggling hard with that level right now. He's said in no uncertain terms that he hates it. And apparently said level was also featured in a Nintendo Tree House broadcast and the two hosts that tried it couldn't beat it.

Other rail based target shooting levels have checkpoints. Why did this one hand to be any different? It's more a test of patience than skill. 

It's just awful and lazy design. Just plop down a bunch of rails and throw targets on random places. Fake difficulty and no level design whatsoever, which is a shame, because the backdrop of a upside down city is actually really cool.

The 1.1.1 Update is now available fixing several major & minor issues in the game.

Spoiler

Ver. 1.1.1 (Released September 15, 2022)

Changes to Splatfests

• The rate of Tricolor Battle occurrence has been adjusted. From the defending team’s perspective, they will trigger somewhat less frequently than before.

Changes to Player Controls

• Fixed an issue where it was possible to jump farther than usual with a Squid Roll by performing a certain input while charging a Squid Surge.
  • Fixed issues that appeared when playing for a long time without closing the software, such as shots from the player’s main weapon not firing correctly.
  • Fixed an issue where the player could move through the surface of the water or stand on water when moving quickly. For example, when performing a Dodge Roll with Splat Dualies.

Changes to Multiplayer

• Fixed an issue where connection errors occurred with high frequency at the end of battles due to connection environment.
  • Fixed an issue with the Bloblobber where the collision detection of the third and fourth blobs of a single volley became extremely small.
  • Fixed an issue where cash and experience were not being awarded in certain circumstances when a battle ended early due to a lack of players.
  • Fixed an issue where, in certain modes, a player would be unable to cancel matchmaking when not enough other players were gathered. Matchmaking will now be canceled automatically after a certain amount of time has passed.
  • Fixed an issue in Sturgeon Shipyard in which it was possible to enter the back side of certain drawbridges.

Changes to Salmon Run

• Fixed an issue where connection errors occurred with high frequency at the end of jobs due to connection environment.
  • Fixed an issue with Mudmouth Eruption events in which Mudmouths moved in unintended ways.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some players with identical titles to be considered “rank supporters” and not gain Rank Points.
  • Fixed an issue where continuously damaging a submerged Maws with certain special weapons would cause the game to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where players were becoming trapped within the stage terrain.
  • Fixed an issue where, at the end of battle, the amount of Grizzco Points earned would be shown as smaller than the amount actually added to save data, which caused cases where the player could not collect rewards.
  • Fixed an issue where the messages at the beginning of Wave 3 could change based on whether or not a King Salmonid would appear.

Changes to Story Mode

• Fixed an issue where, after clearing the final stage, a communication error would occur in the middle of a certain scene and return the player to the square.
  • The post-clear cutscenes can be viewed by clearing the final stage again.
  • In cases where this error occurred, the final stage is treated as cleared, and the stage can be skipped from the pause menu when reattempting.

Other Changes

• Fixed an issue when starting the game for the first time in which the game could get stuck and not advance from the black screen after the screen where yellow and blue ink mix together.
  • Fixed an issue when downloading a battle replay that occasionally caused the game to not advance.
  • Fixed an issue in which the game would crash when the schedule was updated while attempting to join a friend.
  • Fixed a rare issue where the game would crash while the player was visiting a shop.
  • Fixed an issue where a communication error could occur while a player traded in gear at a shop.
  • Fixed an issue where a connection error could occur when buying a weapon. A player would seem to then have the weapon equipped despite not having been able to buy it, which would cause a connection error if the player attempted to join a battle.
  • Because this update patch focuses on Splatfest-related changes and addresses bugs that can have significant effect on game progress, we have prioritized its release.

Please note that the changes to Tricolor Battle frequency should be considered temporary. For now, there will be somewhat more instances of players selecting Tricolor Battle but being placed in a Turf War battle instead. Going forward, Splatfest-matchmaking specifications will continue to be adjusted, and this issue will be rectified. We are planning to implement these adjustments with the new season beginning in December.

The next patch will focus primarily on balance adjustments and other issues that were outside the scope of the current patch.

We continue to observe and analyze battle data and are planning to make adjustments at the midpoint of the current season.

Also, I'm joining Team Grub because I know that regardless if where I was going, I'd make sure to bring some good food & snacks with me.

There's something about the Question being wrong and is supposed to say "uninhabited Island" instead of "deserted island", but my choice remains the same.

I went with Team Gear myself. Shiver's argument during the announcement just made the most sense to me lol. Big Man probably would've had a better argument if he had better ideas for fun other than playing a single game of cards for who knows how long.

On 9/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I just said fuck it and used the blaster. You don't need the extra power eggs and you don't need to clear all kettles with all available weapons to unlock the extra one.

Some info regarding the new Conch Shell Item

Fcx1XtqXwAMu7Rt?format=jpg&name=small

SRL here again! We’re still puzzling over that #Splatfest theme. What would YOU bring to a deserted island? Gear, grub, or fun? Be sure to stop by the Pledge Box when it appears in the square and sign up for a team. And choose wisely! You can’t change teams later.

A few more Splatfest findings while we’re here… The Sneak Peek begins as soon as the Splatfest is announced, and that means you can earn conch shells! Simply pick your team, then level up your catalog in battles. You’ll get a conch shell for every catalog level you gain!

Fcx1YXhXEActE6L?format=jpg&name=small

You can redeem conch shells at the Shell-Out Machine in the lobby for cool in-game stuff. And it doesn’t pay to be a saver—unused conch shells go away when the Splatfest ends! We’re told that another SRL employee once used the term “YOLO,” and we think it applies here as well.

Last but not least, if you want to coordinate Splatfest teams with your friends, we’ve discovered that you can use the SplatNet 3 app to do it! While the poll feature won’t count in terms of actually joining a team, it can help you navigate this difficult decision. Splatspeed!

• The title was changed to Splatoon 3 (Splatfest #2/Gear VS Grub VS Fun on September 23-25th)

Well, this Splat Fest was absolutely rubbish. I played as much as possible today and, between all of the disconnects and matches where not enough players were found (literally how?), I managed to take part in a grand total of one Tricolour Turf War. Tons of regular matches, but Tricolour never happened bar one. 

Sort your shit out, Nintendo. This was pants. 

Final results for the Splatfest:

-Most Conch Shells: Team Fun (36.11%) (WINNER) - Team Gear (33.45%) - Team Grub - (30.44%)

-Most Votes: Team Gear (58.28%) (WINNER) - Team Fun (21.02%) - Team Grub - (20.70%)

-Clout (Open): Team Gear (35.29%) (WINNER) - Team Fun (33.33%) - Team Grub (31.38%)

-Clout (Pro): Team Fun (36.37%) (WINNER) - Team Gear (33.47%) - Team Grub (30.16%) 

Overall Results: 

Team Fun: Sneak Peak (10p), Pro (10p) - Total - 20p

Team Gear: Votes (10p), Open (15p) - Total - 25p

OVERALL WINNER: TEAM GEAR

• My Emmerdoods 1

Here are the results of the GEAR VS GRUB VS FUN Splatfest

FdLlT6LXoAAn2ak?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Halftime Results

FddeQuhaUAEGQGY?format=jpg&name=large

1. Team Fun
  2. Team Gear
  3. Team Grub

Final Results

Conch Shells

1. Team Fun: 36.11% = 10 Points for Team Fun
  2. Team Grub: 33.45%
  3. Team Gear: 30.44%

Votes

1. Team Gear: 58.22% = 15 Points
  2. Team Fun: 21.02%
  3. Team Grub: 20.70%

Open Clout Wins

1. Team Gear: 35.29% = 10 Points
  2. Team Fun: 33.33%
  3. Team Grub: 31.38%

Pro Clout Wins

1. Team Fun: 36.37% = 10 Points
  2. Team Gear: 33.47%
  3. Team Grub: 30.16%

Final Result

1. Team Gear: 15 (Votes) + 10 (Open Clout Wins) = 25 Points
  2. Team Fun: 10 (Conch Shells) + 10 (Pro Wins) = 20 Points
  3. Team Grub: O Points :(

TEAM GEAR WINS!

Shiver: And there we have it. A well-fought victory for Team Gear!

Frye: Ooo! They got us with all those tools. Argh!

Big Man: Awww, Team Fun was having fun right up until we...weren't.

Shiver: I'm so proud of Team Gear. We used our wits! And the tools we wisely chose...

Frye: Hey! Don't shortchange Team Grub. We didn't win, but we ATE.

Big Man: And Team Fun was along for the ride. WHEEEEEE!

Shiver: You know...upon reflection...it would be nice to have an on-island food and entertainment.

Frye: Right? This choice was crazy hard! You can't live without gear, grub, OR fun!

Big Man: I've got an idea!

Frye: Big Man! What's gotten into you?

Big Man: Let's live on a deserted island for a real! I'm great at getting lost at sea!

Shiver: And if we do it on OUR terms, we can bring gear, grub, and fun. Or a FOURTH item?!

Frye: Whoa, whoa. All we need is the three of us to have a blast. Love ya. Mean it!

Big Man: Aw, we shouldn't leave Splatsville. But I'm glad you'd both come with me if we did!

As Frye said, TEAM GRUB definitely ate it...

Sonictrainer's Splatfest Review

Pros

• Whenever I was on Team Grub, we didn't have any mirror matches with ourselves. Hasn't been a issue in either Splatfest so far
  • Hammerhead Bridge was a much better Tricolor Turf War Map than Sturgeon Shipyard
  • Splatfests help players increase their Catalog Level and unlock more stuff
  • The Conch Shells are a cool item to unlock more Titles and Banners for Splashtags, as well as Tickets
  • The Nighttime and festival vibe of Splatfests are still cool
  • I had some fun battles playing Solo or with Friends, especially with our SSMB Game Night Club
  • Even though Team Grub was in 3rd Place, as a Ruler +3, I got 21 Super Sea Snails

Misc.

• There are Badges exclusive to Splatfests that players had a chance to earn
  • It seems that Maps that share a similar theme to a Splatfest Team or the overall question will influence the rotation. MakoMart & Mahi-Mahi Resort were noticeably more playable during the Splatfest.
  • I didn't see my Splatfest Post in the hub but there were a lot of really good posters and posts around town
  • I'm noticing Big Man's Team is always in first place during Halftime...

Cons

• There are still some Posts that are getting through the mods that should not be posted. YIKES
  • When people complained about the Tricolor Turf Wars in the first Splatfest, instead of changing the Map, they made them appear less often. That's not a solution. Also, good luck getting the Tricolor Turf War Badges...
  • The Connection Errors are still and by far the worst part of Splatoon 3 at the moment. Getting disconnected/kicked out of a match at any time, getting slowed down because of lag, and being forced to come to a complete stop mid-game is horrible and needs to be fixed ASAP.

• The title was changed to Splatoon 3 (Splatfest #2: Team Gear Wins!)

I wish I had everyone else's luck and never got a Tricolor Turf War during the Splatfest. Playing defense on that game mode is absolutely miserable and I switched over to the Pro matchmaking simply to get away from it.

I'm just gonna throw the matchmaking in as a con as well. My experience started mixed and continually got worse and worse as the days of the Splatfest went on. Loss streaks filled with teammates who had little idea what they were doing, focused on trying to get kills instead of inking turf, refusing to keep an eye on their own turf to ensure no one is sneaking behind them or what have you, and running ahead and not even bothering to ink their own base before leaving. 

I've seen numerous topics on Reddit and more all calling out the Matchmaking and having very similar experiences of teams being ridiculously mismatched in terms of sheer skill level, with higher ranks being placed against much lower ranks and it being an overall mess, something that just doesn't help when Splatoon just feels like a miserable experience if you're being crushed in a match. It's incredibly demoralising to just keep getting games where you try to do anything and can't make any leeway because teammates are dropping the ball, and it gets to a degree where it feels like the danger sign never leaves, or you can't get away from spawn for more than two seconds before two enemies pop out to splat you because they've gained so much ground and your team is still scattering off to all directions of the wind.

Splatoon is downright tragic when you're in unwinnable matches. I had a fair few of those, and also some others wherein my team were the oppressors. The narrow maps with bottlenecks leading to the spawns can be painful in the wrong circumstances. Hammerhead Bridge was a bad choice for the Tricolour matches because both offensive teams could get walled out of the centre of the map with ease.

Matchmaking and everything was a total flop. Its unfortunate. 

The matchmaking could have at least been alleviated by not picking a topic that was an actual problem with an actual answer. The fact that Gear had more players than both Grub and Fun combined is why it was so abysmal. 

13 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Splatoon is downright tragic when you're in unwinnable matches. I had a fair few of those, and also some others wherein my team were the oppressors. The narrow maps with bottlenecks leading to the spawns can be painful in the wrong circumstances. Hammerhead Bridge was a bad choice for the Tricolour matches because both offensive teams could get walled out of the centre of the map with ease.

Matchmaking and everything was a total flop. Its unfortunate. 

Maybe this is just me, but part of me wishes they'd gotten rid of the win streak notification in general when it comes to Splatfests. Having the game tell you that a team is currently on a winstreak of six or seven games just feels a little demoralising before the whole ordeal even begins. It'd be nice starting a match without having it kind of looming over your head that your team is likely only just matched together, while the opposing team is a team that's likely either coordinated and organised, or a team who gelled particularly well together, and remained together to obvious success. 

I know that it's a weird thing to say, like it doesn't mean a immediate win or anything, but every time I got paired against a team on a win streak, they'd usually continue said win-streak, and it'd just leave me with a more annoyed feeling. 

It actually says the win streak if there's any person that's on the team with a win streak. I know because it was saying 5 win streak when I was being matched into random groups.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the subject of the next Splatfest is going to be Pokemon related!

• The title was changed to Splatoon 3 (Splatfest #3/Pokémon Starter November 11th)

There's no question with this one: I'm going Team Grass! They make up a majority of my favourite starters through the years.

(Plus, if this is Shiver's team, it means I'll have also played one Splatfest for each member from the get-go.)

Definitely going to be heating things up with Team Fire!

1 minute ago, NegaMix said:

(Which, if this is Shiver's team, means I'll have played one Splatfest for each member from the get-go.)

Who's your favorite Deep Cut member?

Did a modmy post from this thread to the Scarlet and Violet thread, or did I just goof and post it in the my place? Lol. Anyway, looking at the full starter lines.... 

Kanto: Grass > Water > Fire (but they're all top tier) 

Johto: Water > Fire > Grass

Hoenn: Water > Grass > Fire (Blaziken lame) 

Sinnoh: Water > Fire > Grass (best trio of starters, Infernape is the best Fire/Fighting type) 

Unova: Water > Grass > Fire

Kalos: Water > Grass > dog shit on your shoe > Fire

Alola: Grass > Delphox > Water > Fire (I don't like any of them but at least I don't hate the Rowlett line) 

Galar: They're all losers

Hisui: Fire > Water > Grass (Unovan Samurott > Hisuian Typhlosion > Hisuian Samurott > Johtonian Typhlosion > Alolan Decidueye > Hisuian Decidueye, FTR) 

Paldea: Grass > Fire > Water (I'm gonna be so pissed if I'm let down by another feline starter when it evolves) 

It'll have to be Team Water for me, even though it's actually been a while since it's won out in any specific region and it's the worst n of the Paldea bunch so far. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Who's your favorite Deep Cut member?

Going by what there is in-game so far... probably Shiver. She's got a bit of that "tries to play it cool but isn't so above it all" personality which i enjoy. Though Frye having a very competitive spirit is fun too.

Big Man... is Big Man. He's just kinda there tbh, but he has a couple moments where he plays off the other two's personalities well enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Frye is probably my favourite of the bunch, although I also rather like Shiver as well. They're both fun to watch and listen to. But Big Man is definitely just a third wheel. He's got nothing going for him except that :3 face that everyone seems to love, and the Phanta Manta fight ofc. 

And I still prefer OTH to DC regardless. It was nice to see Deep Cut in the story, but I really wish that they were actually antagonistic instead of just do-gooder bandits. 

• Thumbs Up 1