Awoo.

One of the most sad songs I've ever heard from the Sonic series.

Omochao

^ He's saying that its a horrible song. Frankly, I love Crush 40's remix of All Hail Shadow far more than the original. I still don't think that they should've remixed All Hail Shadow, though. I really wanted Throw It All Away come back and remixed slightly to be Shadow's theme. I'm glad that they at least decided to bring it back for Black Knight, but its exactly the same as the original.

EDIT: Oh my god... "Dear My Friend"? I'd rather barf. Songs like that and Worth a Chance... ugh... I like the upbeat songs, but those slow songs do NOT interest me at all. I can't stand them.

EDIT 2: Okay, so should I bring up ACTUAL sad songs? ...to be honest, I don't really know what to say there. The only "semi-sad" song I like is The Chosen One. Worth a Chance, Dear My Friend, and Live Life are other songs that are actually quite similar, despite being by completely different people, that I simply dislike all-together. Some people enjoyed them, but I didn't. Period. Worth a Chance and Dear My Friend are the only real true "sad" songs I can reference other than The Chosen One, which is... kinda sad, but not too much. More angsty than anything else. Which I prefer, anyway, heh.

Edited by UltimaHedgie

Sad songs, eh? The saddest songs in the series (In my opinion) would have to be:

"Sadness" - Sonic Adventure

"Theme of E-102γ" (Theme of E-102γ) - Sonic Adventure

"Crazy Robo" (Theme of E-101β) - Sonic Adventure

"The Last Scene" - Sonic Adventure 2

The final credits theme from Sonic Battle

"The Doom" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"If What You Say Is True" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Sad" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"The Chosen One" (Theme of Shadow) - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Lost Impact" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Sea of Sorrow" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"I Am...the Story Is Over" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Memory of Youth"/"Never Cry, No Matter What"/"The Flame of Hope" - Sonic 2006

"You Are My Companion" - Sonic 2006

"Dreams of an Absolution" (Theme of Silver) {Specifically, the Nightlight Remix} - Sonic 2006

"The Time-space Rift" - Sonic 2006

"Just Smile" - Sonic 2006

"Wish and Hope" - Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

"To the Surface" - Sonic Unleashed

"Always" - Sonic Unleashed

"Dear My Friend" (Theme of Chip) - Sonic Unleashed

Quite a few of those songs have left me in (manly) tears. ;_; I'm going to blame Sonic Team and their fantastical, emotion-inducing musical selections for that. Of course, the songs themselves wouldn't be as nearly as impactful if there wasn't a story behind them. Cases in point - "The Last Scene", "Dreams of an Absolution", and "The Chosen One".

Edited by HunterTSF

"Theme of E-102γ" - Sonic Adventure

That one hurt, Losing Gamma was rough and that awesome BGM only brings back the memories.

I am not a fan of the sad songs in general (I don't play Sonic games to be left feeling blue after all), but several of them are quite effective at making you feel for the situation. I always found Worth a Chance to be much more soothing than sad though.

Sad songs, eh? The saddest songs in the series (In my opinion) would have to be:

"Sadness" - Sonic Adventure

"Crazy Robo" (Theme of E-101β) - Sonic Adventure

The final credits theme from Sonic Battle

"The Doom" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"If What You Say Is True" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Sad" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"The Chosen One" (Theme of Shadow) - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Lost Impact" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Sea of Sorrow" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"I Am...the Story Is Over" - Shadow the Hedgehog

"Memory of Youth"/"Never Cry, No Matter What"/"The Flame of Hope" - Sonic 2006

"You Are My Companion" - Sonic 2006

"Dreams of an Absolution" (Theme of Silver) {Specifically, the Nightlight Remix} - Sonic 2006

"The Time-space Rift" - Sonic 2006

"Just Smile" - Sonic 2006

"Wish and Hope" - Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

"To the Surface" - Sonic Unleashed

"Always" - Sonic Unleashed

"Dear My Friend" (Theme of Chip) - Sonic Unleashed

Quite a few of those songs have left me in (manly) tears. ;_; I'm going to blame Sonic Team and their fantastical, emotion-inducing musical selections for that. Of course, the songs themselves wouldn't be as nearly as impactful if there wasn't a story behind them. Cases in point - "The Last Scene", "Dreams of an Absolution", and "The Chosen One".

I'll add "Just Smile" to this as well. I hate the cutscene and the game, but it is good. There's a part of "Wishing Upon the Chaos Emerald" is good as well. Funny. It's the two cutscenes I hate the most.

HOLAS:

"worth a chance" has to be the saddest song i ever heard, i think the reason is because i never played SATSR... since i never played the game, i use that song for one of my (non sonic) fic projects... and man... it's a sad moment :(... it also makes me think about a forbbiden love i had :(

another one i would pick is "last scene" from SA2.... another game that i never played, this makes me think about a friend that died :(

You mean the song that played while everyone was talking on the ARC, right? I love that song. :) Wasn't also Event 11? (In Sound Test)

Edit: Ignore my question, I found the song on Youtube.:)

Edited by MarcelloF

The Last Scene is still a sad song but I think it lost a lot of it's impact after finding out Shadow was still alive. Dear my friend makes me tear up though, knowing Sonic will never see Chip again. Unless he lives to be over a hundred years old of course.

Worth A Chance is one of my favorite Sonic songs with lyrics, but I was never saddened by it. Buuut, since we're talking about songs that actually were kind of upsetting to hear, I'd say these:

"Unbound" from Sonic Adventure

"Good-bye!" from Sonic Adventure

"3 Black Noises" from Sonic Adventure 2

"Lost Impact" from Shadow the Hedgehog

"Recollection of The Ark" from Shadow the Hedgehog

"If What You Say Is True.." from Shadow the Hedgehog

"Sad Ending" from Shadow the Hedgehog

I wonder how many people noticed that Recollection of The Ark is just the last bit of 3 Black Noises under a different title.

The saddest song in the series has the saddest fate of them all too. Not only is it kinda midi-ish, but it never even made it to the sound test OR soundtrack of the game it's from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O41bpujWvz4

This song accompanied with the picture on-screen made getting rid of Chao near-impossible to do.

In addition, I think E-102's theme is very sad and a great representation of the character and his struggles. Worth A Chance paints a delightful picture of the Sonic franchise's most tragic villian. If you don't think this song is sad, listen to the lyrics, and you'll soon realise it's very clear that it's from Erazor Djinn's perspective. As Shahra said, his fate was destined due to the way he was written into the story.

In terms of cut-scene music also, the last movement of 3 Black Noises is absoloutely beautiful, and Sonic 2006 has a lot of great sad music already mentioned, particularly Elise's childhood theme (such as Never Cry No Matter What and it's variations - including Flame Of Hope - beautiful). It's the music of 2006 that made me love the story. It was iffy in logic but gorgeously presented.

Finally, I wish Lost Impact was a more fun level. Thankfully for me, the beautifully sad music made it wonderfully surreal to play, so I love it. If the saddest segment of the song plays as Maria says her line: "Don't you think the research experiments... look sort of sad?" it makes a very special moment of melancholy and darkness - and halfway through a level too. If you're gonna include dialogue in-level in Sonic games, they need to have more special little scripted moments like that on levels where jokes from Sonic aren't appropriate.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes! It's a techno-y and everything and then BAM! It just hits you! I can't remember exactly where, but it gets pretty sad sounding. Not to mention Gamma's story is painful to watch.

I love "Dear My Friend", even though I don't go for that kind of music. I think it's a little sad because Chip is gone, but if anything it's really really sappy. I see it more relating to friendship than sadness.

WTF?! It's not even sad!

He's saying it sucks. XD

I think the saddest songs in the Sonic series are the E-102 theme, and the music that plays in SA2 when you want to get rid of a Chao. I don't know about Dear My Friend though because I haven't beat the final boss in Unleashed yet, Dark Gaia is such a pain in the ass...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that the composers are incapable of creating truly sad tunes for the series, as it just isn't SEGA's style; sure, they add to the atmosphere a little bit, but apart from a small few pieces of event music, most tunes aren't genuinely "sad"; they're more mysterious than aything else...

Oh well; even with the dire voice actors & exceedingly chirpy music, some scenes do manage to be genuinely emotional - the last two episodes of Sonic X, the final scene of Silver's story on Sonic '06, the movie sequence when Sonic dies (also on '06), and the final movie clip on SA2 are a few examples, but these are more down to script/ story writing than any musical aspects.

I like Gamma's music a lot but not really tear inducing. I think what more appeals about Gamma's theme is that it captures him very well. His story was told very well, and I am grateful though referenced Gamma's character was never ruined, though I do miss him, I rather him be left alone.

His story was told completely. Showing the birth and raising of Gamma to be trained to be part of Eggman's elite robot force, and winning appreciation of his master, even above his older brother who was deemed superior to him. But when at the top of his game figuring out thanks to an unexpected prisoner that the path he is going down is not the path he wants, that he is merely a soul trapped within a metal casing, and goes to free his brothers from their own imprisonment. And of course, ending off with a showdown with his older brother and both of them "dying" together, but by death setting free their souls.

Also interesting for the conflicting reasons they fight. Gamma fights for freedom and peace of soul while Beta fights for revenge against Gamma, though it is evident Gamma cares about Beta like a younger brother cares for an older one.

Though not the biggest fan of Sonic X, I enjoyed the final symbolism in the Gamma and Beta fight where as their bodies burn on the ground, they die holding each others hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gzWOJblKpY

Of course it was ruined a few moments later when the Flickies look like they're humping each other... -_-;

Anyways, the music does catch Gamma perfectly, but not exactly the saddest song ever.

Edited by Dusk Golem

WTF?! It's not even sad!

Why so serious folks.

A song that always puts me in a somber mood is actually "The Last Scene" from Sonic Adventure 2. Not because Shadow died or anything, it was just the music that made me... well, humble.

And kudos to those who downed my rep for expressing an opinion. :P

A few from me...

Both Act 1 and Act 2 of Rusty Ruin Zone on the Saturn version of Sonic 3D. I suppose they can both be "sad" depending on your mind at the time, I've always just found them to be very relaxing.

Live Life by Crush 40. Crush 40 and violins? Works very well actually.

certainly came out of nowhere compared to some of the other jaunty 'hog music, but it's still great and indeed quite moving.

I dare say

from Sonic Rush is a candidate, despite being pretty happy at heart - there's just something about it. The song style sounding like something from Sister Act certainly is an oddity for a Sonic game, but nevertheless it worked.

And kudos to those who downed my rep for expressing an opinion. :P

Well it is the Sonic fanbase, making fun of a song so popular in AMVs can be like throwing rocks at the mob. Well, the mob with keyboards instead of guns. I think Shadow's at least put them away.

Edited by Tombi
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'd say the Goodbye Chao song from Adventure 2 is the saddest song in the franchise. I also found Worth a Chance, Theme of Gamma, Time Space Rift, and Lost Impact to be very sad songs but Goodbye Chao is the only song in the eighteen year old series that could really bring a tear to my eye.

Off topic a little but Lost Impact is also a remix of Panic Puppet if anyone did not notice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Off topic a little but Lost Impact is also a remix of Panic Puppet if anyone did not notice.

Wait... what? How come I didn't notice?

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like someone else already mentioned Jungle Joyride Night, felt almost like Sonic 06 music with it's more serious tone. Also "Just Smile" was sad, and the last scene's music, it all felt very poetic. Shame really.

Other than that, Scrap Brain on the master system sounds somewhat sad, especially when you're in the dark base, because it sounds like that's it, you're doomed. I am waiting for a good remix of this :x

Other tracks are either too corny (most of the songs except Live Life), or just ambient like Ice Mountain (which is btw stunning), or even Aqua Lake.