Awoo.

One of the most sad songs I've ever heard from the Sonic series.

Omochao

usually im not the one to cry a lot but that REALLY triggered my emotions. I have NO idea why though. well, maybe i do. Its probably cause Chip had to sleep for 1K years and im guessing it REALLY hurt Sonic to let him go :\

Guys...

What about 3 Black Noises? I always have nostalgia at Chaos Control, and tear up at Reflection.

*sob*

S:Now, Shadow!

Sh&S: Chaos......CONTROL!

-pshing-

Sh: ...............Maria.......This is what you wanted, right...? This is my promise that I made.... to you....

Then listening to The Last Scene straight after, due to downloading the OST and listening to it while I draw...

I'd just like to agree with pretty much everyone else on the ones they put, but these affect me most. ;.;

Props to Live Life for getting third place, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing much I can say that hasn't been said already... except this...

The Mega Collection extras menu song. Sad sounding, but not too sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Prepare to cry buckets :lol:

Now I'm all depressed >.<

What the hell? That song is absolutely TERRIBLE! I ended up muting it after the first two minutes when I beat that damned game. Awful in every sense of the word, and only "sad" in that I'd rather beat myself over the head repeatedly than listen to it ever again. The absolute worst song on a soundtrack full of fail.

Want to hear a good, nay, a GREAT sad song?

I cried during the credits of this game, thanks in major part to this amazing track. It is a song that could work just as well outside of a Sonic game, which is important to a good vocal theme. Great build-up, more than competent singer, and powerful lyrics never fail to mesmerize me.

Shit, I'm getting all sentimental now listening to it. Better switch to some Static-X or Rob Zombie before my penis falls off. :rolleyes:

List

Oops, I appear to have forgotten about "Level 1" and "Level 2" from Aquatic Base here. I found those to be rather emotional as well, due to the events that preceded it. (Or after it, in Sonic's case). The music was so wonderful and abstract - they were rather gloomy and had some thrown in hints of the danger that would soon follow in the sporadic outbursts of techno that recurred throughout the songs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both Act 1 and Act 2 of Rusty Ruin Zone on the Saturn version of Sonic 3D. I suppose they can both be "sad" depending on your mind at the time, I've always just found them to be very relaxing.

Totally agree, I love these tracks mainly because of the way the percussion changes during the second half of act 2. Absoloutely gorgeous, just like the rest of Sonic 3D's tracks. Rusty Ruin in particular I find really nostalgic of a pleasant time in my life.

On that note I'll mention Panic Puppet, Act 1 and Act 2. I just love "final stage" themes that are as sad as they are foreboding.

Nothing much I can say that hasn't been said already... except this...

The Mega Collection extras menu song. Sad sounding, but not too sad.

I feel downright ASHAMED for forgetting one of my favourite tracks in the entire Sonic franchise. This is a beautiful track. It somehow made looking through all the crazy american Sonic comic covers I'd never seen feel... nostalgic, despite me having never encountered them before.

I just love this song. Its sad to hear the 1st half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9EODOjPOnE

Shahras Death was sad, but this brings it to another level :(.

Gotta agree with these. Merlina had a beautiful theme, and when I realised it was a re-arrangement of With Me it just became more awesome. I admit, I didn't think Shahra's death was quite sad enough, though that was a mixture of both how quickly the cut-scene moved on, as well as the music.

Oops, I appear to have forgotten about "Level 1" and "Level 2" from Aquatic Base here. I found those to be rather emotional as well, due to the events that preceded it. (Or after it, in Sonic's case). The music was so wonderful and abstract - they were rather gloomy and had some thrown in hints of the danger that would soon follow in the sporadic outbursts of techno that recurred throughout the songs.

Yes! I forgot about Aquatic Base too. For Shadow and Silver it's a surreal theme of a past accident, but for Sonic, it's an incredibly foreboding yet mysterious final stage theme.

In a similar vein, I can't believe my favourite song in the entire franchise was forgotten by not just the posters so far, but even MYSELF.

Supporting Me

The lyrics are great too.

I'm gonna be desperate,

Never lose, hurry, never lose, hurry.

I believe in my future, farewell to the shadow,

It was my place to live, but now I need your hand.

Lead me out with your light, I have breathed in,

The disgusting air of darkness, but I never lose out.

To the pressure, everything's just like,

An illusion, I'll be losing you, before long...

I never lose my confidence,

I know you were supporting me,

Supporting me, supporting me,

I'll be losing you before long.

The part in bold is what makes this song so beautifully sad for me. It's also very interesting to interpret it as being from the Biolizard's perspective. Overall though it's quite clearly a theme for Shadow and his memories of Maria, not to mention that the corruption of morals he went through upon reawakening, and his recovery.

Speaking of which, I also love his original theme, "Throw It All Away". Beautifully surreal in a way similar to Biolizard. Finally "The Chosen One" from ShTH, while by no means being a tearjerker, is still a very nice melancholic theme.

Edited by JezMM

I guess it's not sad, but it still gets me emotional every time I seriously sit down and listen to the Sonic 2 ending song. Especially so if it's been redone with real instruments such as a weeping electric guitar solo or something.

As for "Dear My Friend," I really never thought of it as sad, but something that's tearfully happy I guess, O_o. I'm a weirdo though, don't pay attention to me, XD.

-Blur

How I forgot Aquatic Base's stunning tracks, I'd like a good level in that ambient underwater base style again one day (closest before was Tidal Tempest Good Future with the Japanese music, though the US one is funky as hell). Level 2 adds funky guitar, so having a mix of techno, ambient sadness, and rock. Such a genius song.

And that Mega Collection one :( makes you feel so nostalgic.

I firmly believe that LOST IMPACT is haunting in it's sadness. So is Endless Mine's theme. But there's one song that sticks in my mind as being both beautiful and sad. It's a theme from the raw version of Sonic X and to my knowledge, it's only played in the following episodes. I don't know what it's called and it doesn't seem to be on the OST;

Episode 25 (When Knuckles and Chris are handing over the emeralds to Eggman)

Episode 26 (When the occupants of the White House are preparing for the onslaught from Eggman)

Episode 36 (When Maria ejects Shadow in the capsule in one of his flashbacks)

Episode 77 (When Cosmo transforms into adulthood then into the tree)

Episode 78 (When Sonic gives Tails the seed)

It's an eerie song but also very pretty.

Hunter pretty much nailed everything in terms of sad songs in the series but a song from Satam also sticks in my mind as enchantingly sad-sounding. It plays in 'Sonic Conversion' when ncle Chuck talks about a Mobian's sentience when roboticised to Sonic and again in "Blast to the Past Part 1" when Sally is telling Sonic what year and what location to focus on before they attempt time travel with the time stones.

• Thumbs Up 2

^ Oh Sonic X! I love the Sonic X soundtrack and it depresses me endlessly that only one or two of the (not even that sad) sad songs are on the OST.

I would add:

Episode 1: When Sonic sits on the lamp post looking up at the moon.

Episode 1: The first half of Chris' rescue, when Sonic first lands in the pool and Chris is making his way down. I was sad that the OST only included the piano segment of this song and not the haunting and sad, yet hopeful and calming first half.

And the ones that did make it onto TV (although these were often interchangeable in happy and sad scenes), "Helen's Dinner" and "Alright!". The latter of which was used during their final goodbyes in Episode 50.

Maaaan I wish I could hear these without having to watch the episodes. ;_;

The music played during Gamma's and Beta's final battle in SA is incredibly powerful due to how it portrays the scene so brilliantly. It manages to both be a serious boss-fight song, and also be melancholy and sad, and give of a sort feeling that says "After this last struggle, the long ordeal is over...". I remember that when i first played that boss and listened to that song, and didn't know the ending to Gamma's story yet, i just felt that Gamma's life was soon to come to and end...

I almost cried when I listened to Dear My Friend for the first time. Songs usually don't make me cry or almost make me cry. It is quite a moving song and everyone should listen to it at least once. It's a well very thought out composition. The lyrics are pretty damn good as well.

Edited by Foxboy Mick

The saddest song in the Sonic series to me is The Chosen One and the theme of Gamma. It reminds me of the story and the fact that he self-destructed.

Chosen One is a great song, but I never really regarded it as sad. Right now though, I'm just surprised that I'm apparently the ONLY PERSON HERE who loves "My Destiny". So disillusioning to know the Sonic fandom's taste in music has lowered so much... :P

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Chosen One is a great song, but I never really regarded it as sad. Right now though, I'm just surprised that I'm apparently the ONLY PERSON HERE who loves "My Destiny". So disillusioning to know the Sonic fandom's taste in music has lowered so much... :P

The fact that the 06 soundtrack is regarded so high is proof that our standards have lowered. <_<

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

The fact that the 06 soundtrack is regarded so high is proof that our standards have lowered. <_<

What is this, I don't even...

Please define soundtrack. If you mean the vocal tracks, then I think I can see what you're getting at, but no, not the actual game soundtrack. The tunes may not be as memorable as those of the classic ages, but they sound pretty darn good when you think about it. I still to this day love Aquatic Base ~Level 2~.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or maybe, god forbid - we all have different standards? Crazy world, eh?

To try and get this topic back on track, here are a few more:

The Lightless Black from Zero Gravity: Sure the name's a bit of an oxymoron, but the track I love. It starts off very soothing with a hint of sadness, kind of resembling something from a Zelda game rather than a racing one - and it goes on for a fair while so you're anticipating you'll spend a few minutes listening to a nice little song...But then at about the halfway point, it starts this slow build to something a bit more "epic"; and by another minute in it really seems like the world's just going to end right now. Even during the aforementioned epic part, it still slows down for a little bit bringing back some of it's sad qualities. It's a very well done track, albeit it probably could have been featured in a better way.

from Sonic Unleashed. Now I will say I thought the World Adventure theme was a wee bit overused in the cutscenes, but this is easily my favourite 'mellow' use of it. Listening to it on its own and seeing it combined with the cutscene definitely present two different feelings, and it's a contrast I enjoyed. Basically you see the last piece of the planet put back together, you have lots of happy people jumping up and down like the best thing ever happened, there's Amy and Prof. Pickle talking happily about Sonic and how they're going to throw him a party on his return...and you have this very somber music playing throughout. I think the idea is that it's seen from Sonic's point of view, so whilst him and in fact the music is at least a bit happy, there's still this lingering sadness because he's never going to see one of his friends again.

Honestly I quite preferred that over Dear My Friend, it's a little more subtle to say the least. :P With that said I liked Dear My Friend too and I was quite glad I held off listening to it online before I actually beat the game, it's definitely best heard in context.

Edited by Tombi
  • Thumbs Up 1

Please define soundtrack. If you mean the vocal tracks, then I think I can see what you're getting at, but no, not the actual game soundtrack. The tunes may not be as memorable as those of the classic ages, but they sound pretty darn good when you think about it. I still to this day love Aquatic Base ~Level 2~.

The whole thing. The vocal songs, the level music. I'm sorry I am NOT a fan. And it's not because the game is horrible, it's just because it does not move me whatsoever. Granted "Dreams of an Absolution" is wonderful. I actually love it and that's saying something because at first I found it to be quite mediocre. But it's taken 1st place as my favorite Sonic vocal song, title previously given to "Throw It All Away". Also "Aquatic Base ~Level 1~" I enjoy and Kingdom Valley receives an honorable mention. But that's it. No, I don't think Solaris Phase 2 is made of "EPIC WIN". UGH. I think it's the most overrated Sonic Song ever.

It's not ear-bleedingly horrid, there are much worse Sonic Soundtracks, but this one I find boring. Sorry I don't agree with the masses.

...yeah, "Dear My Friend" is awesome. :P

Oh my God where have you been all my life! It kinda reminds me of Ristar.