Awoo.

That Something Different...

azoo

NOTE: BEFORE YOU MAKE A MOVE AGAINST ME, PEOPLE, I AM WHAT SOME PEOPLE MAY CALL A "RETRO FANBOY". THIS IS JUST AN IDEA I HAD BACK IN THE DAY, AND THESE ARE BASICALLY JUST MY THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY. ;D

Ahem.

Back in 2005-2006, I used to play Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Adventure as a constant. I love the classic games to death, and I've always thought there was something special about them. Then I found out about "SONIC THE HEDGEHOG", a then-omnious project in the works by Sonic Team for Sonic's 15th anniversary. Now, here's the part that may surprise you guys (knowing how I am)...

..I was amazed, no, thrilled with the concept. "Why?", you may ask. It's really simple, actually.

I was expecting something different, although the same. What I mean is that I was planning to see a new, realistic take on the Sonic series, as a full series reboot. I saw some videos and screenshots, and I wanted more. I saw the clip where Sonic was running through a beta Kingdom Valley, killing off armies of E-Gunners, and going Super Sonic on them; wetting my pants as I watched it in sheer bliss. The thing that got me into wanting it so much was that I imagined it like this: a one-time-only concept. I know people like to complain that Nextgen featured a realistic Eggman, a taller and more athletic Sonic, and overly-realistic landscapes. But at the time it was a surprisingly good idea. Although, I also imagined that it would bring back traditional Sonic gameplay; that almost-perfect SA1/Genesis "physics-speed-platforming" gameplay that I loved so dearly. So really, I was expecting something different for a change, just for one game... but yet bringing back some old (really good) tricks.

However, it's rather apparent that after those few videos that we got a glimpse of, we found out that things definitely were going downhill. Sega started throwing in a terrible storyline, lazy programmers AND beta testers, horrid loading times, too many useless characters, and whatnot. Before we knew it, a great idea became utter crap. One of my greatest fantasies went straight down the drain, and it truly broke my heart.

So, here's my question: how would you feel if Sega went back to a "phase one" on that concept? Of course, I'm not saying it should replace the rest of the series as a whole (heck no, Needlemouse ftw), I'm just saying it as a one-time event to see a different side of Sonic, although maintaining the solid physics-speed-platforming gameplay that made Sonic so famous.

Once again, restating: would you like to see Sega try this again, and this time without screwing it up?

Because I definitely would.

To answer your question, no- I would not like to see a more "realistic" take on Sonic, as a reboot, alternate series, or other iteration of the series. I feel realism ultimately clashes with Sonic, Eggman, and the whole gang- They're disproportionate and strange-looking cartoon characters, and to lose that is to lose much of what makes them so endearingly charming and lovable in the first place!

2K6 Eggman was suave, elegant, and cool- But he wasn't fun. He was too stern and too serious for my liking, and lacked that comic whimsy that makes Eggman Eggman. I feel this was one of the big shortcomings, as I like Eggman because he's such a bombastic and humorous character. To force an intentionally-bizarre man into the standards of a normally-proportioned realistic human being sort of defeats the purpose of his original design in the first place, I feel. His personality shifted with the design- This Eggman was no-nonsense, and frankly, "nonsense" is an integral part of the character's presentation.

I feel Sonic can have a good, complex, intriguing story without it having to be dark, gritty, or overly-realistic. So again, in direct response to your topic, I'd have to say I'd be against the idea of anything else in the vein of 2K6's style and presentation occuring ever again in this series.

That's what I was getting at, though-- sure, it'd be something different. And I know what you mean, I completely understand (if you noticed that I'm of-course a "retro fanboy"). I just thought it'd be neat to see Sonic (and Eggman in that matter) in a different light just for once. If it didn't happen ever again after that, then it wouldn't matter to me.

If anything though, I'd like Sega to do something like that only if we know they'd learned from their previous mistakes. Naturally, the reason why I don't like the majority of the new Sonic stuff is because of how Nextgen was utterly ruined and it's left me to think that if they were to do something like this ever again, they wouldn't be able to do it right.

So really now looking at it, I'd like them to do it, but I wouldn't at the same time. My mind works rather funny. XD

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

I would much prefer another 3D Sonic game with a more whimsical touch, which is what I think Needlemouse is going to accomplish. Pretty much Sonic Heroes with less glitchy gameplay and no team gimmick would be perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would gladly welcome a return to a more SA1 reminiscent platforming focus. When you look past the bugs, it is pretty obvious that 06 was indeed heavily influenced by the Dreamcast headliner. The process could work, but then again that can be said for any path Sonic Team can take. Anything can be great if they don’t screw it up. “If they do it right, it will be gold”.

Do I think it will happen? ……. No.

06 was a clear cut attempt that severely lacked on follow through. Anything good to be found in that game got boxed out by long loading times and multiple control issues. (Knux/Rouge couldn’t even climb right) Unleashed too started out under the Sonic Adventure mantra, but the developers quickly evolved it into something they thought would be bigger and better. In their minds, it would seem a new SA1 isn’t good enough any more.

\2K6 Eggman was suave, elegant, and cool- But he wasn't fun. He was too stern and too serious for my liking, and lacked that comic whimsy that makes Eggman Eggman. I feel this was one of the big shortcomings, as I like Eggman because he's such a bombastic and humorous character. To force an intentionally-bizarre man into the standards of a normally-proportioned realistic human being sort of defeats the purpose of his original design in the first place, I feel. His personality shifted with the design- This Eggman was no-nonsense, and frankly, "nonsense" is an integral part of the character's presentation.

That is a really well put explanation against 2K6 Eggy…….

I don’t care, I STILL love him. He is just so awe inspiring, I can’t bring myself to look away. Plus, I always thought he had top notch Eggman mannerisms.

No thanks. I hate that take as much as I hated Heroes take on things (in that both had some okay points, but a lot of bad ones).

I mean it had a good start, but let's look at somethings. How do you make a realistic, disproportional cartoon character realistic? Unless you're going to change his anatomy and physique entirely, it wouldn't look too good being realistic.

I like the more athletic looking Sonic, and Eggman's sleeker and serious robots in the game, but that was the only good parts of it. Everything else fell apart.

I love some of the environments of the game, but overall, no thanks. Unleashed had that look that Sonic could fit in the world he was it. It was inspired by the real world, but was stylized in a Sonical look to it that made it feel natural to Sonic. It had that realism and yet it also had a bit of unrealism as well, something that Sonic 06, ShTH, and even the Adventures couldn't touch in style. That's how I prefer, and that's what I hope stays for years to come.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The speedy physics-based gameplay is as solid a concept as it was in the genesis days and, as much as I want the series to be more than that, I can't really complain about giving it another go, after having been systematically removed from the series over the last decade.

As for the actual "something different", in terms of what '06 wanted to do, I'll pass. Trying to make the series realistic just doesn't work, at least not in the dead serious manner '06 tried. Something as deeply rooted in a cartoony and unrealistic style as the Sonic series just can't make "realistic" work without descending into parody (which is something Sonic Team shouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole). Though I think the opposite would be interesting as a one-off...use a sort of Sonic CD cutscene/OVA style for Sonic and the other characters, with an emphasis on simple shapes and less detail, crank the trippiness of the levels up almost to Special Stage level, maybe get the guy who did Rush's music to make some more songs. I think colorful and surreal makes for a much more interesting and appropriate "what could have been" than realistic.

Personally, I like that the series' style changes tack every game. I certainly wouldn't want them to settle down on Unleashed's style, but I don't hate it for the one game and possibly a couple of others in future. 'Realistic', colourful, grungy, irritating-CG-animal-film, whatever. As long as they keep up a rotation of styles, it's fine by me. At least then I know they won't settle on something I don't really like. Of course, they can do whatever they want to Sonic. Couldn't care less about how long his legs are or what colour his eyes are.

This could easily be catered to in specific stages rather than entire games, though.

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying. I said several times in the OP that what if this was a one-time-only type of deal? Like, you know, only happening one game and never again? I wasn't trying to say Sonic should permanently take the "realism" route; I was just saying it sounds like something pretty experimental and interesting, and I would've liked to seen them do it right rather than what happened to it.

And plus, when did I ever say that it would probably end up being the exact same game as before? If Sega would've played their cards right, Nextgen could have had made all the right turns in all the right places.

And who said realistic = dark and serious? In most aspects, games like Ratchet and Clank show me otherwise.

Edited by Azukara

And who said realistic = dark and serious? In most aspects, games like Ratchet and Clank show me otherwise.

Umm...Ratchet and Clank isn't anywhere close to being realistic. That's not a good example.

Umm...Ratchet and Clank isn't anywhere close to being realistic. That's not a good example.

Yeah, CSS, that was a rather stupid comparison. I was sleepy this morning and didn't get to fully explaining what I meant.

To answer your question, no- I would not like to see a more "realistic" take on Sonic, as a reboot, alternate series, or other iteration of the series. I feel realism ultimately clashes with Sonic, Eggman, and the whole gang- They're disproportionate and strange-looking cartoon characters, and to lose that is to lose much of what makes them so endearingly charming and lovable in the first place!

Most people like to complain that these interpretations of the characters are disproportionate compared to the originals, so... =P

2K6 Eggman was suave, elegant, and cool- But he wasn't fun. He was too stern and too serious for my liking, and lacked that comic whimsy that makes Eggman Eggman. I feel this was one of the big shortcomings, as I like Eggman because he's such a bombastic and humorous character. To force an intentionally-bizarre man into the standards of a normally-proportioned realistic human being sort of defeats the purpose of his original design in the first place, I feel. His personality shifted with the design- This Eggman was no-nonsense, and frankly, "nonsense" is an integral part of the character's presentation.

Who said he'd have to completely be like that? IMO, Nextgen Eggman was freakin' awesome. Although I don't think we got to see the other side of Eggman nearly at all in Nextgen's story (that is, until near the end, when we saw him do his kiddy temper-tantrum).

I sort of look at Nextgen Eggman compared to ordinary Eggman as I do to Heath Ledger's Joker vs Jack Nicholson's classic Joker. They're incredibly different interpretations of the same character in most aspects, but they're both equally awesome in my book.

I feel Sonic can have a good, complex, intriguing story without it having to be dark, gritty, or overly-realistic. So again, in direct response to your topic, I'd have to say I'd be against the idea of anything else in the vein of 2K6's style and presentation occuring ever again in this series.

This is what I really meant. Realistic != dark, grim and gritty. I see it being more like in a Ratchet and Clank-type of way: serious situations, but yet being rather lighthearted and funny instead of being all dark and melodramatic about everything. Heck, I wouldn't mind if the game went a little bit sci-fi on us.

I mean it had a good start, but let's look at somethings. How do you make a realistic, disproportional cartoon character realistic? Unless you're going to change his anatomy and physique entirely, it wouldn't look too good being realistic.

You don't. I'd just want a game featuring Sonic and Eggman only though, so all I'm saying is that they would use the same designs for them seen in Nextgen. No need to worry about realism 'clashing' with the series; because for me, I wouldn't expect humans in it. =P

I like the more athletic looking Sonic, and Eggman's sleeker and serious robots in the game, but that was the only good parts of it. Everything else fell apart.

That was the point of this topic. Imagining what could have been if they stuck with just that.

The speedy physics-based gameplay is as solid a concept as it was in the genesis days and, as much as I want the series to be more than that, I can't really complain about giving it another go, after having been systematically removed from the series over the last decade.

Agreed 100%.

Something as deeply rooted in a cartoony and unrealistic style as the Sonic series just can't make "realistic" work without descending into parody (which is something Sonic Team shouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole).

It hasn't been done right yet. Nextgen's original teaser clip sort of proved me otherwise though. Well, that is until we found out what the rest of it looked like. Nevertheless, I believe it still shows us that it would be pretty dang awesome if they played their cards right.

I love some of the environments of the game, but overall, no thanks. Unleashed had that look that Sonic could fit in the world he was it. It was inspired by the real world, but was stylized in a Sonical look to it that made it feel natural to Sonic. It had that realism and yet it also had a bit of unrealism as well, something that Sonic 06, ShTH, and even the Adventures couldn't touch in style. That's how I prefer, and that's what I hope stays for years to come.

If anything, I'd like to see these same environments from Nextgen (minus Soleanna) shown with all the graphical special effects the Hedgehog Engine has. Now that would be BEAUTIFUL. =3

Edited by Azukara

I wouldn't mind seeing a game that had a more realistic art style(In other words, Sonic and pals looking more like flesh and blood creatures than walking toys), but retained a lighthearted tone in terms of story.

I don't know...

I'm a strong believer that the story/environments should be built around the character in franchise-character media (Mickey Mouse, Mario, etc...), not vise-versa. While I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, what would be the point, other than for a brief experiment, to make Sonic more real looking?

To go back on that Doc, that design of Eggman screamed more of "Robotnik," since he lost his egg-shape. In fact, this Robotnik was more like Sega's answer to DiC's SatAM Robotnik. However the idea of Sonic being more humanoid did make it to Nintendo who took that in for both Mario & Sonic and SSBB, where Sonic is around the same height of Mario, Fox, and Toon Link.