Awoo.

Downloadable Content

HunterTSF

As we already know, the Sonic the Hedgehog series has featured downloadable content ever since its 3D debut on the Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure. The content over the years has ranged from minuscule, aesthetic modifications such as Maria Robotnik and Omochao themes for Sonic Adventure 2 to giant expansion packs featuring all-new levels for locations across the globe in Sonic Unleashed. The downloadable content has had fairly mixed reviews, though - while some praised the addition of more fantastical daytime stages for Unleashed, others critized having to pay for the added town missions for '06 - which just happened to be re-hashes of existing missions that weren't very fun to begin with).

So, what have been your favorite downloads so far? And what kinds of downloads would you like to see in the future? Discuss!

I'd have to say I've loved all of them so far (Minus a few of the town missions for '06). But, I would have to say that one of my personal favorites would have to have been the inclusion of Omochao as a downloadable Kart Racer in Sonic Adventure 2. His Opa-Opa Kart was nothing short of spectacular. TeamAttackAmigo was awesome, and I also am quite fond of the Gamer Picture and Theme packs that have come out so far. (I'm still disappointed that there's no feature enabling you to be able to use your unlocked achievements as Gamer Pictures, though >=(. I want to utilize my Wentos-related achivement picture, goddammit!)

Edited by HunterTSF

When it comes to Sonic games, I'd rather they include everything they plan to make on the disc so that, assuming they release a game I would actually want to play, it would all still work even after the service has long since vanished. It's a problem I have with DLC in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ I'd rather they get everything necessary in the game, and only update with extras. I'm also assuming as gamers get more acquainted with DLC, there will be places besides official outlets to find DLC packages.

I'm in favor of extra missions for download, and goodies such as new characters or mini-expansion stories.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

New costumes in Sonic Adventure 2. Not just cause they were free. Well, maybe just that.

Certainly tops the "hard mode stick" that Sega is beating us with and making us pay for in the recent games.

So far, all the downloads have generally sucked hard core. Except maybe Team Attack Amigo, that was nice.

Best unlockables were the Green Hill Zone and Super Sonic in Sonic Riders.

Preferred download? In level Super Sonic please.

Metal Sonic wouldn't hurt either.

So far, I haven't payed for ANY DLC from a Sonic game. It just doesn't interest me, if it were to continue the story in some way then I would, but I'm not going to buy more levels for the sake of it (tho, I may buy the Unleashed stuff, just so I can get the bloody medals!)

Preferred download? In level Super Sonic please.

Why would that make sense as DLC? It's so easy to implement that it would be a rip off to pay for it separately.

So far, I haven't payed for ANY DLC from a Sonic game. It just doesn't interest me, if it were to continue the story in some way then I would, but I'm not going to buy more levels for the sake of it (tho, I may buy the Unleashed stuff, just so I can get the bloody medals!)

I don't think there are any medals in the DLC.

I loved the "Samba" bonus course on Sonic Adventure, and thought it was a brilliant edition to an already excellent game.

Extra levels like that make DLC worthwhile - as long as it's free; I don't want to have to pay extra to expand a game that I already own!

While I'm fine to download additional content, I'm don't like to pay extra for content that's bee planned from the start, or worse, content that already exists on the disc. Unleashed and 06 fall into these categories- screenshots of what would later be Savannah Citadel DLC were amongst the first leaks and the 'DLC' for 06 is merely a key that allows you to access data that's already on the disc.

Of course, we don't actually know how much of Unleasheds DLC was made during the production of the game and planned to be released seperately, and what you get isn't really bad. I adore the additional Jungle Joyride Acts and the chao collecting stage in Arid Sands is brilliant.

Edited by Blue Blood

Why would that make sense as DLC? It's so easy to implement that it would be a rip off to pay for it separately.

Because I don't trust sega to ever implement it properly as an unlocakable in a main series platformer.

It's really more of a pipe dream on my part.

Edited by Aquaslash

Because I don't trust sega to ever implement it properly as an unlocakable in a main series platformer.

It's really more of a pipe dream on my part.

Adventure had it cut, sadly. And 06, I'm inclined to say that it wasn't cut in that game. Simply, 'unfinished'. :P Still, the only main game that couldn't have made fantastic use of it Super transformation is Unleashed (what would it offer, an infinite boost gague? Boring!) and there's really little reason not to use it.

Edited by Blue Blood

I really like the downloadable content released for Sonic Unleashed. A lot of the new stages that were created are really fun to play.

In the future I'd like to see more downloadable content like that and maybe even some extra playable characters thrown in.

Edited by Chooch