Awoo.

Opinions on Blaze

ShiofukiMoon

She's a cool cat. 😎

But seriously, I find her a welcome main stay to the roster, and find her position as the only lady, and sort of none hedgehog, (like if I discount a few villains and spin-off material), with regular access to a superform very interesting. The dimensional barrier between her and the rest of the cast I'm afraid limits her and makes it hard for me to get as invested in her as I'd like to be. If she lived on the same planet as everyone else, and was affected by the machinations of Robotnik and the like in the same way I'd probably like her a lot more then I do.

I like her fine, but overall I feel like I should like her MORE.

She's a weird mix of popular and obscure. She was co-star to Sonic but only on handhelds and her career on consoles is pretty insignificant.. She has big lore and even own support cast, but all in far Sol Dimension.

And personality wise she's Elsa mixed with Twilight Sparkle. She's even purple animal princess with elemental powers, problems with making friends and magical gemstones. Perfect.

She's overall nice addition to the cast, first female super form. She's strong, smart, cool. So why I don't love her as much as some?

IDK. My best guess that when you boil her down to most basic form, she's just a  "serious" person. And that's kinda boring personality.

I've moved the thread to the appropriate forum and cleaned up some needless bickering. Next time just use the report function, you fucking children.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

She's an excellent addition to the cast. Tbh, I don't like that she lives in a separate dimension. What's wrong with Sonic's world having a monarchy? Anyway, I think she'd have an interesting dynamic with Amy which I'd love to see explored. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the most underutilized characters of this franchise, and given the many opportunities they’ve had to explore her and her world in depth, it’s one of the myriad of reasons I think Sonic Team has issues with narrative and world building.

I don’t know if it’s out of mild apathy or fear of messing her up after what they did with her in Sonic 06, but Blaze is one of the more awesome characters in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top tier character. Great design, and has a cool set of abilities. On top of that she plays similarly to sonic while also having her own tweaks which is the ideal way to handle different playable characters in my opinion. 

She isn't as fast as sonic (as it should be, blaze is pretty much the only time the series has handled a character being slower than sonic and yet still making her more than fast enough to be a lot of fun to play), however to circumvent her lower speed she gets so much more air when tricking, she's got a hover instead of a homing attack (in the rush series anyway), she's got fire resistance, and she can hold her breath for longer underwater. I would really love to see other characters handled like that should they ever be playable again. I've always had the idea that shadow should have less traction and lower acceleration than sonic due to his skates, but have a longer range homing attack, and a higher top speed when going downhill making him ideal for speedruns only he's more difficult to handle. Essentially a character for more experienced players. I always felt like that made sense for shadow.

Blaze is a character done right.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shes on par with the hedgehog trio and knuckles, so shes cool. Shes stronger than silver, so she can definately fight the main duo and knuckles to a stand still or even win

On 2/19/2021 at 10:53 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

I like her fine, but overall I feel like I should like her MORE.

She's a weird mix of popular and obscure. She was co-star to Sonic but only on handhelds and her career on consoles is pretty insignificant.. She has big lore and even own support cast, but all in far Sol Dimension.

And personality wise she's Elsa mixed with Twilight Sparkle. She's even purple animal princess with elemental powers, problems with making friends and magical gemstones. Perfect.

She's overall nice addition to the cast, first female super form. She's strong, smart, cool. So why I don't love her as much as some?

IDK. My best guess that when you boil her down to purest form, she's just a  "serious" person. And that's kinda boring personality.

That's because Sega failed to capitalize on her when the iron was hot, and now they just toss her to the side with the rest of the supporting characters. As a result, only fans who played Rush even know about her. 

And it's a damn shame too, because yea, she has an entire world that's completely unexplored as of right now and her significance nowadays doesn't really go beyond gracious cameos to remind the audience that she still in fact exists, and nothing more. 

On 2/18/2021 at 5:38 PM, Cuz said:

She's a cool cat. 😎

Not when she's on fire.

Anyhow, I like Blaze.  These days I have a hard time forgiving the Sonic Rush games because they introduced the boost move that I think has overall warped what the series is, away from my wishes for what it should be, but the character is just fine.  That said, much like most characters who debuted in a game as Sonic's co-star--Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, and Classic Sonic--it seems like she keeps coming back even when her original reason for being in the series doesn't warrant it.  I don't oppose this but it feels like by now, SEGA should have figured out that introducing characters whose personalities are tied to specific events and not much else gives them little to work with in their future appearances.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

That's because Sega failed to capitalize on her when the iron was hot, and now they just toss her to the side with the rest of the supporting characters. As a result, only fans who played Rush even know about her. 

I feel like fans these days in general don’t even know much about Rush. She seems like the character known to always be with Silver and be his love interest. I don’t think most people knows she’s a princess as that hasn’t been used at all (other than IDW where they just gave her a castle.)

Blaze thanks to her no longer makes the series strictly sexist or pro male > female. Having a stigma of males are useful, cool, and fun and females are cute, sexy, and weak produced a character that makes it find a true equality between the cast being a female going on par with men. Blaze unlike Amy isnt feminine or sultry because of the fact shes a token female trope, but shes femine of strength and regal elegance and just as powerful as the top sonic males to boot.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

My best guess that when you boil her down to most basic form, she's just a  "serious" person. And that's kinda boring personality.

Yeah, this is how I feel.

I don't dislike Blaze. I just don't find her particularly entertaining or interesting.

I don't even think you'd need to drastically change her personality to make me like her; Just reframe it a little and come up with funny/charming moments that play to her strengths. You can still do decent comedy with a stoic, serious character; having her underreact to things, give some deadpan responses, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well she was a stoic serious character who's socially awkward. This was very forgotten since Rush, and I wish they kept that, along with her friendship with Cream.

• Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Yeah, this is how I feel.

I don't dislike Blaze. I just don't find her particularly entertaining or interesting.

I don't even think you'd need to drastically change her personality to make me like her; Just reframe it a little and come up with funny/charming moments that play to her strengths. You can still do decent comedy with a stoic, serious character; having her underreact to things, give some deadpan responses, etc.

Blaze did actually start off as more of a hothead, which seemingly contrasted with her level-headed persona. That was the conceit of the character, she acts like she's in control, but is very emotionemotionally stunted and easily riled up. Plus, she's a cat that's also afraid of heights.

All of that just went away though after Rush and now she's just another stoic character to contrast with Silver I guess....I miss hot-headed Blaze.

I like the idea of a character that is presented as the most emotionally stable person in the room, while also at the same time being inwardly the least well put together. It allows her to be cool, stoic and effective right off the bat, while still leaving an easy pivot into her worse traits which allows her room to develop and grow despite her previous level ground. 

Furthermore, I like having a spectrum of socially challenged characters in the franchise. We have a socially ignorant character in Knuckles, a socially averse character in Shadow and a Socially naiive character in Silver. Blaze gives us a character who is just flat out socially distant. In a world centered on the super power of Teamwork, I want to actually see the characters put a bit of effort into trying to get along. In TSR, while both Silver and Blaze were willing to lend Vector a hand, both were also immediately on his case about his ulterior motives. Blaze even had a sidebar with the Croc to let him know she could see through his act. You can't have that dynamic if everyone is too much like Sonic, where helping a friend is all that mattered.

Speaking of Sonic, I also feel that she has a great rapport with Blue. He has helped her overcome her flaws several times now, and in return, Blaze has also stepped in to do the things Sonic could not, in a much appreciated two-way stream. Blaze's willingness to soften up a bit due to his influence is another benchmark for his character and their continued friendship helps fuel the theme of teamwork that runs throughout the franchise. Its cute that she tries to hide her phobia from her friends. Its touching that she learns from her past mistakes and is open to giving other people in Sonic's orbit the same opportunity he gave to her.

Lastly, despite being both a Princess and the only female in the cast with a super form, Blaze somehow dodges the feeling of being a token female character. It might be because she can deflect both ends of the feminine spectrum to either Amy or Rouge, but Blaze has rightfully found a good balance.

If there's one thing I'll give TSR credit for, it's actually highlighting a new situation for her in her dynamic with Vector; it's not much, but it's the most we've gotten out of her in years, so I'll take whatever I can get.

I like Blaze, I always thought the "princess from another dimension who is just as capable as Sonic" idea was neat. I like how she was portrayed in Rush 1 (haven't played Rush Adventure yet, so I am unsure of how she was portrayed there). I don't know why they decided to make her from the future like Silver for 06 though, always seemed like an odd choice to me. Although I do like the idea that her and Silver are the Sonic & Tails of the future at least, that was fun to watch.

Too bad her rival fight in Rush 1 makes me feel like my ds's buttons are going to break any second.

I love Blaze! 

451072442_sonic-channel-sonic-comic-act-015-blaze-burning-beauty(2).jpg.72773fbdbe178f1fe55ce8ac6a9acec9.jpg

I do wish we saw more of her potential! I could go on and on about how my biggest gripe is how I want the Sonic series to expand on its character development. Like the comics are pretty good at understanding the characters, I feel like the games should take notes. But even then, there's still so much more to explore in regards to Blaze. 

On 2/20/2021 at 3:38 PM, SnooPigu said:

Shes better than rouge imo.

They're both amazing! Rouge is an amazing, seductive thief who does what she wants, and Blaze is an amazingly strong, but socially inept individual who's learning to let friends help. 

• Fist Bump 1

Blaze is awesome. She should play a bigger role in a future mainline game and I would like to see more of the Sol Empire. 

And please let her appear in Sonic Prime!

On 2/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, prettyinplague said:

I love Blaze! 

451072442_sonic-channel-sonic-comic-act-015-blaze-burning-beauty(2).jpg.72773fbdbe178f1fe55ce8ac6a9acec9.jpg

I do wish we saw more of her potential! I could go on and on about how my biggest gripe is how I want the Sonic series to expand on its character development. Like the comics are pretty good at understanding the characters, I feel like the games should take notes. But even then, there's still so much more to explore in regards to Blaze. 

They're both amazing! Rouge is an amazing, seductive thief who does what she wants, and Blaze is an amazingly strong, but socially inept individual who's learning to let friends help. 

Rouge is a more shallow character than Blaze and borders on mary sue levels for my taste.

I’m not as obsessed with her as I was way back in the day before SLW knocked a lot of the wind out of me, but she’s still a fantastic character with solid gameplay and narrative potential. We could explore where and when Marine comes from, for example. 

She was my favorite for a long time but something kind of pulled me out of my fixation and I'm not sure what. It might have just been the lack of content, or the focus on her relationship with Silver over the other aspects of her character. I actually like the dynamic she has with him now, but exploring her own world and the relationships she had with characters like Sonic and Marine interested me more than the direction they went. There's also the usual untapped potential you get with most Sonic characters. There are a couple of things in her bio that they've never really done anything with, like how her abilities alienated her from others and gave her the hardened exterior she has today.

For what it's worth I think the comics have been striking a nice middle ground and the social media acknowledged her world again pretty recently, but I wonder if it's a little too late to do a deep dive into her and her world. I can't see them using an obscure 3DS game as a jumping off point for a new one: they'd much rather go with a more accessible story most of the time. Maybe they'll let the comics do something with it soon.