Awoo.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl & Legends: Arceus

Sonictrainer

I was actually worried about them throwing out Gen 4's level design so this is one way to avoid that I guess? This might go too far in the other direction of defeating the point of a remake, but I'll wait to see what new Qol features/stuff they add before I say that. I'm a little bummed out I won't get to walk around a 'to scale' Jubilife City or Mt Coronet though. 

The chibi style is cute. It looks kinda basic, but so does that other game or really most of the other Pokemon games released prior. Diamond and Pearl is a childhood favorite of mine but I also remember it being one of the least impressive DS games out there technically. I just don't expect much from this series on that front.  Not trying to silence people arguing that they should do better(they definitely should!) but I dunno. Not a priority for me as long as it runs okay.

Pokemon Legends using the same angles and gentle piano accompaniment as the BOTW trailer had me dying. Might as well own it I guess. I'm most interested in shifting the goal away from gyms to "complete the pokedex". There's a lot more potential for completely free form progression with that premise. Sticking with Sinnoh means no need to worry about new Pokemon either, allowing them to put effort into other parts of the game. The performance issues are more of a turn off than the visual style so I hope they're going to iron those out. I'm not sold on it yet but something really cool could come from these changes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

To be honest, I couldn't think of any characters from Sinnoh that needed a major redesign like some of the other gens.

Although, I am curious how the Pokétch is going to work.

All I feel is that Cyrus can use some more oomph in his clothes. Or look a little younger (because he's apparently in his 20s). Maybe not a transformation as big as Archie and Maxie.

Oh god, the Poketch... Let's Go DID utilize the touch screen when you went to pet Pikachu/Eevee. Have any Switch games had the controller screen look different from what's going on on the TV screen?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

All I feel is that Cyrus can use some more oomph in his clothes. Or look a little younger (because he's apparently in his 20s). Maybe not a transformation as big as Archie and Maxie.

200px-Diamond_Pearl_Cyrus.png

Eh, the depressed spaceman looks alright.

Also, I take back what I said. The Elite 4 could use some work...

800px-Sinnoh_Elite_Four.png

Yeah, Cyrus seems fine as is right now, it's just that seeing a redesign for him would have been interesting for me. I do have trouble pointing what could be changed, maybe other than giving him some tech.

The E4? Dated, They need something to up their designs.

Gen 4 is kind of when modern Pokemon design took hold. Don't know what updates you could give them that don't feel unnecessary 

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Gen 4 is kind of when modern Pokemon design took hold. Don't know what updates you could give them that don't feel unnecessary 

Diamond_Pearl_Flint.png

I mean, all Flint needs is one fire logo somewhere on his clothes to be complete.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I mean, all Flint needs is one fire logo somewhere on his clothes to be complete.

These are Diamond and Pearl remakes, no one will understand what the symbol means.

• Chuckle 1

At least to me it is amazing that the remakes somehow look worse then the originals! I'll take the pixel art-style over the cheap painted-balloon looking 3D graphics any-day of the week. I don't even dislike chibi art-styles or whatever, I actually loved the look of Omega Ruby. But honestly these D&P remakes are just not appealing to me whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 1

EvLIV0vWQAQZY2g?format=png&name=smallEvLIV89XYAQCGrQ?format=png&name=smallEvLIWURXMAM-Lpx?format=jpg&name=large

voltimer_  on Twitter: Platinum added an extra NPC to Floaroma Town to talk to you about the Gracidea and give it to you if you came with Shaymin.

Guess who's there in the trailer.

• Thumbs Up 2

The chibi sprites remind me of one of those generic party games on the wii.

In the older games, the trainers having a tiny sprite in the overworld and a more realistic/taller sprite during battle never bothered me, but with this graphic upgrade it feels so...wrong.

39 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

The chibi sprites remind me of one of those generic party games on the wii.

In the older games, the trainers having a tiny sprite in the overworld and a more realistic/taller sprite during battle never bothered me, but with this graphic upgrade it feels so...wrong.

Like them or not, the DP remakes aren't what anyone was expecting. The trend ever since FRLG has been to remake the games in the style of the current generation. And with ORAS in particular, that meant really pushing the current generation to its limits and really talking the original games back to the drawing boards. I just can't say I'm interested in what seems to be a very literal Diamond an Pearl 3D. The chibi look is gross. Never been a fan of chibi. The graphics as a whole look pretty flat and basic too. It's not even held up by pleasant looking graphics even if the artstyle isn't my preference. Like Link's Awakening at least looks pretty even if I'm not a fan of the chibi look there. The chibi style they've gone for here looks incredibly cheap and nasty. Chibi needn't look so cheap though. I'd be much more open to this if they have at least none used a grid for the overworld.

As for Legends... It's interesting. The BotW comments are hilarious and people are setting themselves up for disappointment. But I really want to see where this is going. I've often thought about a Pokémon game set in the past, although I always envisaged a more medieval European setting with the Kalos starters. Going with Sinnoh and a Japanese theme is very intriguing. It's the gameplay that I'm unsure about. What are we actually going to be doing here?

Looks to be a lot of catching Pokémon which isn't really all that fun for long. The presentation said that the concept of being a trainer hadn't been invented in the time of this game so... I hope that doesn't mean too few battles. There's just so little that we know so far. 

Also just as an aside... The choice of stater Pokémon is so random. A random Pokémon of each type from previous starters. But they picked good. Oshawott and Cyndaquill are probably what I'd have picked too; Gen 8 is too recent, Gen 1 is overused and Gen 4 is literally getting remade right now. With that in mind, Cyndaquill is my favourite fire type to choose from (tied with Chimchar ultimately), I love Oshawott and a samurai is incredibly fitting and Rowlett is... Well, he's fine and an archer is thematically works, but I'd personally have gone with Chespin (although everyone seems to dislike Chesnaught). It's just a strange mix.

Can't rightly explain Cyndaquill's inclusion though. My best bet is that they had to choose something either thematically relevant or something neutral, and Cyndaquill fit that the best. All of the other fire starters are a bit too themed in a way that doesn't fit. And it's unfortunate that the fire type was in the situation because they actually had two very Japanese-themed water starters to choose from; a samurai and a ninja. I'm glad that they went with the samurai though though.

Wonder if we'll be getting some ancient variants of Pokémon here, not dissimilar to regional forms. Some Pokémon aren't even supposed to have existed long ago; Klink didn't appear until ~100 years ago according to the PokéDex. And then there are Pokémon like Dunsparce who's Dex entry in Sword reads as follows: "This Pokémon's tiny wings have some scientists saying that Dunsparce used to fly through the sky in ancient times." I think there are others like it. Would be really cool to see this idea actually come to fruition.

• Thumbs Up 2

Arceus Legends looks like it might be the thing that fully brings me back into Pokémon. Shit looks like something I’ve been wanting from the franchise for the last 20 years.

Diamond and Pearl remakes look more like they just gave the original a facelift; part of me thinks they did it because they wanted to preserve the original for those who grew up with it, and after everything that has happened. They wanted the safe approach. Can't really say that I'm a fan though; it just looks very awkward to me when I just look at it. It looks fine for what it is, but I would have preferred they just stuck to their guns and committed to what they started in Gen 8. I know some oldheads are probably ok with this, but naw this felt like a step back.

I really hope Legends runs better on release, it's definitely...rough. Also gotta see what it actually offers. If it's BoTW, its' probably the usual open world, run around, cook, do hidden dungeons and what not. Especially since they said the concept of Gyms doesn't exist yet. 

I agree those remakes are ugly.

Scrunched up character designs from the era when non-sidescrollers had to do it to fit all of that stuff on screen are not something I have ever felt the slightest nostalgia towards.  Zelda: Wind Waker and its successors managed to make such look good in high-definition 3d, but I honestly can't think of any other time it's been a cut above passable.  And to be blunt, this is not how I picture the world of Pokemon and it never really was.  From the get-go we've had anime, trading cards, manga and even in-game portraits that utilize a different, non-chibified artstyle, so every time Pokemon games don't just do that in for their entirety it looks like they're catering to a tradition that was never really important.  Also the grids: Frankly, I despise them.  They're another thing from the primitive old days of gaming that I tolerated when technology wouldn't allow better, but are they really what anyone liked about Pokemon?  The better they get at depicting plants, even in a cartoony way, the more wrong it looks that ostensibly natural terrain is full of right-angles.  Finally, the fact that so many things in the G4 games were already 3D makes these feel like the most redundant remakes the series has ever had.  Like at this point they're only remaking Pokemon games because they've gotten used to it.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I really hope Legends runs better on release, it's definitely...rough. Also gotta see what it actually offers. If it's BoTW, its' probably the usual open world, run around, cook, do hidden dungeons and what not. Especially since they said the concept of Gyms doesn't exist yet. 

I love that that 7fps Chimchar.

Legends looks really rough at the moment. But it's a year off yet, so I'm willing to brush aside the performance hiccups for now... Even though SwSh ran like crap.... And even though you think that they'd be able to get some smooth footage for a trailer. Yeah, I dunno. Legends is different enough that I'm able to give them the benefit of the doubt somehow. 

Also we've got a bit of a low-key victory here in that Legends is only coming in one version. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I want Legends to be good so at the very least, it can be a launching point for Game Freak to experiment some more. If the remakes fail though, that might convince Game Freak to not outsource anymore, and take on all of the development by themselves. 

13 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I want Legends to be good so at the very least, it can be a launching point for Game Freak to experiment some more. If the remakes fail though, that might convince Game Freak to not outsource anymore, and take on all of the development by themselves. 

If the remakes fail? Bruh, this is Pokémon. There's no chance.

5 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

If the remakes fail? Bruh, this is Pokémon. There's no chance.

Let me rephrase; if they don't perform as well as they want to....which yea, is still pretty unlikely all things considered. 

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

crunched up character designs from the era when non-sidescrollers had to do it to fit all of that stuff on screen are not something I have ever felt the slightest nostalgia towards.  Zelda: Wind Waker and its successors managed to make such look good in high-definition 3d, but I honestly can't think of any other time it's been a cut above passable.

This isn't doing what Wind Waker's did

That's a specific art style and not Chibi-fied designs considering how every adult character looks

This is a stylistic decision that just doesn't look that good, it doesn't have to be 'passable' because it's a choice to do so anyway

They just...could've done better

On 2/26/2021 at 5:15 PM, Blue Blood said:

I love that that 7fps Chimchar.

Legends looks really rough at the moment. But it's a year off yet, so I'm willing to brush aside the performance hiccups for now... Even though SwSh ran like crap.... And even though you think that they'd be able to get some smooth footage for a trailer. Yeah, I dunno. Legends is different enough that I'm able to give them the benefit of the doubt somehow. 

Also we've got a bit of a low-key victory here in that Legends is only coming in one version. 

And then Pokemon Legends: Giratina is announced a year later and involves all of the Platinum stuff like the Distortion World and whatnot, thus allowing Gamefreak to make evven more money by cutting out the Platinum stuff and sticking it in a different game.

And it'll be a story about Giratina's fall from grace as Arceus banishes him from wherever the hell Arceus banished him from.

/kinda sarcasm.

19 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Some nice Legends fanart created by R3dFiVe_artist on Twitter

*image*

This is cute. But I think it would be really nice if we saw Sinnohan or ancient variants of the starters when they're fully evolved. I dunno why it brings me so much joy to see these three starters picked over anything else, but it's refreshing. And it'll be doubly refreshing to see them all get something new. 

Unless it's Dyna/Gigantamax. That feature can die and never come back, please.

We got Release Dates & Boxarts today.

E2UOGWRX0AEsXuJ?format=jpg&name=small

BD & SP will be out on November 19th while Legends: Arceus will be out January 28th next year.

E2UOZJNWQAUo0l4?format=jpg&name=medium

E2UO_zQWQAInig0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Thumbs Up 1