Awoo.

The Dead Console Thread

Paul Str337

I've had two PS2's (one broke), two Xboxes (one broke), two Xbox 360's (one broke), a PSP (that's broken), and a Dreamcast (try and guess)! :D

Well, not many consoles I owned broke down on me, but these below broke down:

- My Dreamcast broke down, due to some failure I can't really explain well. It happens to turn on, then it turns itself off, with the disc spinning much faster than normal.

- My old Mega Drive experienced some crashing after some time of use (Which might be considered a break down, not sure)

- My old Playstation (The big Grey brick, not the slim) suffered from a faulty lens, so it couldn't read any discs.

- My 360 died recently, giving 4 red rings

- My GBA died some time during the High School years, the screen broke, and the LCD totally made the screen useless.

- My silver PS2 died the year before last christmas, I wasn't very happy, to say the very least.

My 360 once got an RRoD, but it still made it through two years without one so I'm pretty proud of it. I still think it may have problems though, because sometimes acts a bit sketchy on certain games.

My DS Lite stopped working too, recently. Funny story on this one- after my first DS got all scratchy, I started using Q-Tips to prevent the same thing from happening to this one. A few years later, I found that some of the Q-Tip fluff got stuck in the stylus slot, so I tried to wash it out in my sink. Unfortunately, this caused it to stop working because electronics and water apparently don't mix. My warranty expired on it so I just decided to get a DSi. I know it's more expensive, but there's an even longer story behind that decision.

And it's not necessarily "dead" but I lost my original GBA. I'm not so upset about that but over the copy of Pokemon Ruby I had in it that I made over 200 hours worth of progress on.

So it looks like the DS broke the "Made from Nintendium" myth, though I have no idea where that myth came from, the classic NES was a rather fickle system.

bombed-gameboy.jpg

Bombed in the gulf war. Still functions.

Plus stories abound of GBAs being dropped in toilets and functioning fine the next day. I remember EGM, For Science!, testing that very thing soon after the system launched and labeling it toilet-safe.

Edited by Tornado

bombed-gameboy.jpg

Bombed in the gulf war. Still functions.

Bits have apparently been replaced on that. The screen, for one, is less durable than the rest of the system, it would be as burned as the rest.

My DS Phat. It went from being slightly scratched one day to being broken in half the next day.

My 8 year old brother was CHEWING on it. D:

Also, GBASP has been dropped in three rivers, one lake, dropped two stories onto pavement, and thrown at many walls.

It still works like new to this very day.

Also, GBASP has been dropped in three rivers, one lake, dropped two stories onto pavement, and thrown at many walls.

Dang, you must be upset with every GBA game you buy. :lol:

My GameGear has survived a tumble down some stairs (a reeeeeeaaaally long flight of stairs) and came out without a scratch. It even had those mega bulky batter adaptions hooked up to them.

Aside from that, I take good care of my stuff. More than a few people have karate chopped a table with my Wiimote's though....

Edited by Sega DogTagz

• 4 weeks later...

Make that seven. Number six broke last night. Since my PSP is still broken (I'm probably getting a new one tomorrow), I busted out the Nomad for an interim.

Protip: In a rage, tear open the system and pour a quarter tube of liquid cement directly into the hinge, get mad when it takes forever to dry and doesn't look like it is going to work, put it in the original box for a month with the intent to sell it, and then take it out when you are bored. My DS now works just as good as it did before! Which is to say, the left trigger only works occasionally and there is a bit of flicker on the touch screen, but still.

Edited by Tornado

The only console that I'm pissed that died on me was my old NES. My parents decided to put it up in the attic, and when I wanted to try to play it again, the thing wouldn't work. A Texas attic with heat and whatnot isn't the best place for a NES.

I'm just glad that I took all of my consoles with me to college because who knows what else they would have stuck up in the attic.

My Dreamcast played fine until it was making this terrible noise like its trying to play what was on the screen. Then later on it just wouldn't play the disk. So I bought a lens cleaner and pop it in the Dreamcast. It worked again for probably a month or two and then it relapsed again. So I was looking for some instructions online to fix it and I found a few. So I opened it up to try to fix it and ever since it worked. I turn it on every now and then to play a game. So it's working for now.