Awoo.

So which games take place on which "Earth"?

Soniman

7 hours ago, SonicFan2832 said:

Why were there temples for the Chaos Emeralds?

So I pretty much assume, since the Emerald primarily exist in the Special Zone that it serves as a"link point" between the two worlds and both societies can make use of it, hence the emeralds bounce between these worlds over the years and have had a effect on various ancient cultures and societies of those worlds

Also just because there's an animal and human world doesn't mean travel between the two isn't uncommon or even discouraged. Sonic abd friends frequently mingle with them and no one ever has a problem with it so I assume it's just a regular thing. So Chao existing in human world really isn't a stretch 

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I be honest? Who cares? Does it really matter what games are Earth and which ones are Mobius or Sonic's World or whatever? I'm pretty sure the intent is that it doesn't matter Sonic just sometimes adventures on Earth around humans and sometimes he doesn't.

Look I love this series but lets be real it's not exactly the deepest most consistent lore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I think that it's a waste of time trying to make sense of which world each game takes place in.

The whole two worlds thing is fucking stupid, and really bad world building on Sega's part.

For me, it is the same planet and and it depends on which part of the planet the games take place!!...
Very often, when there is no human, adventures happen in isolated islands, don't they?!...
And for SONIC FORCES, I think G.U.N. and humans have been vainquished by Eggman and there is only the Resistance left...

As far as I can tell all the games took place on a stylized earth up until they decided to make the two worlds rule. Eh, they'll probably go back on it again sometime in the future.

Look guys. We all know "two worlds" is like Swiss cheese, with Chip being probably largest one.

And the final joke is that it's all meaningless,

Let's assume something like Sonic X keeps happening and Mobian,  Chaos Emeralds and even entire areas like Angel Island or Mystic Ruins keep landing on Earth. If Earth has Mystic Pumpkins, Windy Valley and Black Arms, it's just as crazy place as Mobius. So separation is meaningless. And Sonic Forces/IDW shows that Mobian cities and tech are very similar to human ones, so it goes other way around as well.

Basically only games that show populated cities are 100% on Earth or Mobius. Even all classic games can take place on Earth.

I've never been one to go against offical canon before, but I absolutely refuse to accept this "two worlds" nonsense, same thing with the "classic and modern are different dimenions" heresy. Fuck Sega. It's all fiction anyway, and the Sonic that exists in my head is definitely a singular entity existing on a single planet.

I'm like a disillusioned ex-christian in a tragic enligtenment era novel who goes "I guess God does exist, but I'm not gonna worship him anymore because I've come to the conlusion that he's an asshole".

Pretty much any game where Shadow is plot critical would count.

So, both Adventures, Battle, Shadow's game, 06, and part of Chronicles.

Everything else is either Sonic's World or some other dimension.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:54 PM, Soniman said:

OH lord speaking of Chaos how does Angel Island even begin to make sense with the two world nonsense since it has existed in both worlds at this point but all the lore with the Echidnas happens in the Mystic Ruins on human world which kinda makes sense because Gerald studied the ruins and now I have a headache 

So maybe some places just exist simultaneously in more than one world?

Angel Island could exist on both planets and also exist in its own world.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, King Conne said:

For me, it is the same planet and and it depends on which part of the planet the games take place!!...
Very often, when there is no human, adventures happen in isolated islands, don't they?!...
And for SONIC FORCES, I think G.U.N. and humans have been vainquished by Eggman and there is only the Resistance left...

Or GUN just don’t give a crap what happens to the Mobian lands since they’re not in their jurisdiction. That land on the ‘world’ map looks more like a large island anyways.

The problem is, the "two worlds" thing is actually three or maybe even four worlds.

Because the series isn't just divided by "human" and "animal" worlds anymore - but also by "classic" and "modern" dimensions as of Forces, retconning the entire classic line of games as being a separate Sonic altogether. Does the classic dimension also have a human and animal world? It shouldn't, given there are non-Eggman humans in those games (Witchcart, hieroglyphs of humans in Sonic Blast, human-like stone faces on Angel Island, a humanoid angel statue on Little Planet, etc.)

The entire franchise is now a bunch of irreconcilable contradictions and this never needed to happen. One planet, one dimension; That's the way things were when things made sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2021 at 10:57 AM, Soniman said:

That's true actually now that I think about the Wisp also only appear in Sonic World games as well and contrast pretty heavily against the more grotesque human world Black Arm aliens so I agree but the planet surface looking the same as Unleashed's  is still a dumb discrepancy if they were so adamant about sticking to the idea

That's because Sonic's World wasn't overtly intended to have consistent checkerboard geography--Generations has Sonic's birthday party take place in a relatively normal looking park and what is clearly intended to be the same location is seen in Lost World.

The Lost Hex was intended to have it's own geography separate from the world below.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:47 PM, Rexeljet said:

Correct me if this was disproven somewhere, but isn't there sufficient evidence to suggest that there aren't literally two separate worlds in the Sonic games and that the "two worlds" thing refers to two separate societies? (based on the fact that the Japanese word for "world" can also mean "society", and that Iizuka has gone on record to say that Emerald Coast is in Sonic's world, among other things)

If we're being honest, that's probably what it started as until it became a convenient way to explain the differences in style.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:54 PM, Soniman said:

Funny how it lines up with  all the human world games having eldritch God monsters, Dark Gaia, Black Doom, Biolizard, Solaris, Chaos

OH lord speaking of Chaos how does Angel Island even begin to make sense with the two world nonsense since it has existed in both worlds at this point but all the lore with the Echidnas happens in the Mystic Ruins on human world which kinda makes sense because Gerald studied the ruins and now I have a headache 

On 3/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

So, how do we explain all the ancient echidna arcitecture in the Mystic Ruins? Or how Angel Island is seemingly present on both planets?

Or, y'know, Emerald Town - where Tails lives - being accessible by walking from both Central City (which appeared in Shadow the Hedgehog and is definitely in the human world) and "Knuckles' house" which is presumably on Angel Island since it's right next to the Emerald shrine?

Sonic geography's a nightmare.

Weren't the echidma's conquers who engaged in tribalism?

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

If we're being honest, that's probably what it started as until it became a convenient way to explain the differences in style.

I was thinking this- earlier in the thread it was brought up that the whole "Two Worlds" thing was created by Yuji Naka during SA1's development, but This 2011 interview with him tells a different story:

Q: Originally Sonic had animals and robots. But Sonic Adventure suddenly had humans in it. Why did you decide to add them?

A: From the very beginning, the action in the universe "Sonic" unfolded on Christmas Island, and so it happened that there were only animals and robots. And when Sonic got to the usual metropolis in Sonic Adventure, here he met humans.

Q: Is the island on Earth or some other planet?

A: It's on Earth. It really exists, the Americans and British are testing nuclear weapons there. Anyway, that's why we populated it with robots and weird beasts. *laughs*

Going by this it seems as though Naka intended for one planet with two societies, and somewhere down the line this got misinterpreted or repurposed- by Iizuka or otherwise- as two separate planets

• Thumbs Up 1

For Classic Sonic, think of Trunks from DB : he is Sonic in his young days but because of the Time Eater, he traveled through time, what created a new dimension... and that's it!!...
In the beginning, Classic Sonic is (Modern) Sonic when he was young then he is now an alternative version of him!!...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, King Conne said:

For Classic Sonic, think of Trunks from DB : he is Sonic in his young days but because of the Time Eater, he traveled through time, what created a new dimension... and that's it!!...
In the beginning, Classic Sonic is (Modern) Sonic when he was young then he is now an alternative version of him!!...

Exactly. The series love using elements from Dragon Ball (like with Silver, and Shadow recently), so it wouldn’t surprise me. While I hate the two-world thing, the separation of Classic and Modern doesn’t bother me because of this.

Sonic Team just sucks at explaining things.