Awoo.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (New Retro-Styled 16-Bit Beat 'Em Up) - Consoles and PC - Coming Soon

Ryannumber1gamer

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge features groundbreaking gameplay rooted in timeless classic brawling mechanics, brought to you by the beat ’em up experts at Dotemu (Streets of Rage 4) and Tribute Games. Bash your way through gorgeous pixel art environments and slay tons of hellacious enemies with your favorite Turtle, each with his own skills and moves - making each run unique! Choose a fighter, use radical combos to defeat your opponents and experience intense combats loaded with breathtaking action and outrageous ninja abilities. Stay sharp as you face off against Shredder and his faithful Foot Clan alone, or grab your best buds and play with up to four players simultaneously!

With Bebop and Rocksteady assaulting Channel 6 and stealing super gnarly devices to support Krang and Shredder’s latest twisted plan, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge sees the Turtles battling across a righteous range of timeless TMNT locations. From Manhattan and Coney Island, to city rooftops and dank sewers, help the fearsome foursome trounce Foot Soldiers, Triceraton Warriors, and Rock Troops all the way to Dimension X!

Enjoy stunning full-color pixel art graphics and a vintage TMNT vibe that will rock you straight back to the awesome 80s. Every character, vehicle, weapon, item, and background is directly inspired by the 1987 TV show, making you feel like you hopped into the television -- with a dope mix of killer humor and action-packed adventures!

Features:

• Gnarly game design takes you back to the ’80s
  • Beautiful full-color pixel art graphics
  • Old-school gameplay enhanced with super-fresh mechanics
  • Up to four players simultaneously
  • Play with iconic TMNT characters and vehicles in diverse gameplay options
  • Radical new story mode
  • And totally more to come!

Just announced today and making it's way to both consoles and PC, Shredder's Revenge looks to be a lovingly recreated and evolution of the classic Konami TMNT arcade games. From what it looks like, it takes aspects from every aspect of the classic games, including the arcade game, Turtles in Time, and even Hyperstone Heist. With that, it's also firmly taking place in the universe of the '80s Turtles.

According to IGN, it's also developed by several of the members of the team who developed the Scott Pilgrim game, which was another fantastic 16-bit beat 'em up, and it's being published by the same team that brought us Streets of Rage 4. Needless to say we seem to be in good hands here. There's no release date as of yet.

Given that the last game we got was Mutants in Manhattan, a game that (IMO) - was alright, but filled with issues, I absolutely can't wait for this game. Not the biggest fan of Beat 'Em Ups personally, but both the Simpsons Arcade and TMNT arcade games are exceptions, and I love the detail evoked by the gameplay thus far. The sprite work reminds me of Sonic Mania in that it takes a classic style, and evolves it with extra fluidity and style, while retaining what people liked about the original style. Given Scott Pilgrim's quality for a licensed game, I can't wait to see how this team tackles TMNT.

• Thumbs Up 4

Looks really awesome, and I'm glad to see it is based on the original 80's Turtles. They're still my absolute favorites out of the bunch. The Ninja Turtle beat-em-up's were some of the first games of that genre I ever played, with Turtles in Time being my favorite. I even enjoyed the mediocre Turtles in Time Remake that used to be on PSN/XBL years ago, so I know I'll enjoy this one at least. It seems to have a lot more work put into it, and that sprite work is pretty gorgeous. I hope that April and Splinter are playable! It'd also be great if we could get the original TMNT actors back for this for cutscenes. 

Kind of sounds like that singer has never heard the song before and wasn't even provided with sheet music to get the timing right.  Also I'm wondering if that animation was implying that April and Splinter would be playable, though the gameplay didn't show as much.

Beyond those issues: Well, it's another throwback beat-em-up; this time to the turtles.  I'm interested but I haven't seen much that makes it feel like a cut above the ones that inspired it.

I seldom get really excited over new games, but this one does the trick!

On another note, I'm glad that the TMNT franchise as a whole no longer seems to be ashamed of the 80's cartoon. For those who don't tknow what I'm talking about, there was a period in the 00's when it seemed that the TMNT franchise was trying to distance itself from the 80's cartoon as much as possible, for instance by not using elements created for the show, instead only taking inspiration from the original adult-oriented comics. The 2003 TMNT cartoon is a good example of this. No Krang, no Rocksteady and Bebop, and virtually no pizza obsession. Over the past decade or so however, the people behind the newest TMNT projects seem to have accepted the fact that the 80's cartoon is simply the most well known version of the Turtles and now seem to unashamedly appeal to the generation that grew up with it. And that's totally tubular!

It's TMNT, it looks, sounds and seems to play like Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist, I love it. Mikey's running was hilarious. 

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Jango said:

In case anyone's wondering, YES, Tee Lopes is composing for this one. TEEnage Mutant Ninja Lopes.

Actually, even "TEE-LOPES Mutant Ninja Turtles" fits quite well (yes I'm humming this to the 80's tune now) 😂

The soundtrack has real Mania vibes from the trailer - it's enough of a to sell me (if the game wasn't enough of a sell already)

I'll be honest, I don't know if this was the same game I saw in the most recent indie report on the Switch, but I saw this and was like, i'm done with the indie report. I don't need to see anymore.

In other words, i'm totally excited.

Okay though, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but i'm too young to remember the beat-em-ups from the 80's, so bare with me. Do you play as all 4 turtles, or do you control just one while the other three are computer controlled?

1 minute ago, Duckling said:

Okay though, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but i'm too young to remember the beat-em-ups from the 80's, so bare with me. Do you play as all 4 turtles, or do you control just one while the three are computer controlled?

You only play as the turtle you pick if you're playing single player, if you're playing with other players either locally or online, however number of turtles are being played will be on screen (so for example, if you have two people, two turtles, three people, three turtles, etc).

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You only play as the turtle you pick if you're playing single player, if you're playing with other players either locally or online, however number of turtles are being played will be on screen (so for example, if you have two people, two turtles, three people, three turtles, etc).

Okay, I find that cool for some reason. :) Playing online sounds so much fun. Thanks for the answer.

• 4 months later...

April is playable, there are team attacks, Rat King is a boss, and the game has been pushed to 2022.

Delay is a bummer, but unsurprising considering we hadn't seen that much footage and were running out of year to release it in. Continues to look super great, though, and the possibility of even more playable characters has me pretty pumped. (Love April's mic drop move.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Neat that April is a playable character, hope this means we'll see Casey and Splinter playable too.

The game that keeps on giving. Pretty sure her inclusion was there since the reveal trailer which shows she (and Master Splinter) fighting in that cool animation. And speaking of Splinter, I think that left spot in the key art is his :D Kinda bummed by the delay, this was easily my most anticipated 2021 game, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Also, shiiiiiiit man, Tee Lopes is a god. That new song is sweet. Been listening on repeat since the reveal.

• 5 months later...

Master Splinter joins the fight

Master Splinter is joining Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge as a playable character. Check out the trailer to see the character in action.

We also have a PS Underground

• 2 months later...

Rob Paulsen, Cam Clarke, Barry Gordon, and Townsend Coleman will be reprising their roles as the four '87 Turtles (as well as Bebop and Rocksteady for Barry and Cam) in Shredder's Revenge. The video above is a run-through of the first two stages where you can hear them back in action.

If all that wasn't already great enough, DotEmu has also finally confirmed the game's launch window (Summer) as well as a physical version AND a digital release for Tee Lopes' new soundtrack.

Between this game and the Cowabunga Collection, I am in sheer TMNT game NIRVANA right now. 🐢🐢🤤🤤🐢🐢

My 2021 GOTY is back to be my 2022 GOTY.

Delicious, in every department. Gameplay, sound, music.... and the references!!!

On 4/20/2022 at 6:52 PM, Hopediah CC14 said:

Rob Paulsen, Cam Clarke, Barry Gordon, and Townsend Coleman will be reprising their roles as the four '87 Turtles (as well as Bebop and Rocksteady for Barry and Cam) in Shredder's Revenge. The video above is a run-through of the first two stages where you can hear them back in action.

If all that wasn't already great enough, DotEmu has also finally confirmed the game's launch window (Summer) as well as a physical version AND a digital release for Tee Lopes' new soundtrack.

Between this game and the Cowabunga Collection, I am in sheer TMNT game NIRVANA right now. 🐢🐢🤤🤤🐢🐢

This gameplay looks ridiculously good and the return of the original voice actors is such a nice touch!!!

You can truly see that some huge Turtles-fans are working on this. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this is known information, but physical limited editions were announced from different companies (think it's a regional thing):

LRG announced their version today.

But more importantly, a standard retail edition will be published as well outside of these companies, so if you were looking to get a physical copy, you don't have to worry.

Still no word on a release date other than "Summer 2022" on Steam.