Awoo.

The Past 7 Years of Sonic

RutterReviews

It's amazing to me that sonic games have been such a heavy variety of quality to them over the past decade. Sonic forces has some decent moments but nothing amazing, lost world is lost in what it wants to be and Team Sonic Racing has been outshined in almost all regards by Sonic Robo Kart 2 with how the online is better, the mechanics are better and everything. 
In fact, the best sonic game to come out over the last decade was directed by a legitmate sonic fan. Is it time that Sega just starts hiring these rom hackers or is there still hope that they might make another great game again?

Inconsistent quality has unfortunately been a hallmark of the Sonic series since the start. Sonic Blast on the Game Gear never gets released if Sega prioritized quality.

As for if Sega should hire more fans to make more Sonic games... Sonic fans tend to focus too much on Christian Whitehead being one of them, and not enough on the fact that he is a professional video game developer and a very good one at that. Whitehead spent years developing his own game engine, and remastering existing Sonic games before Sega let him develop a game on his own. The Sonic fan game and hacking community by comparison produces a lot of impressive demos, but few finished games. This goes doubly with the 3D fan games, not one of which I have seen comes anywhere near being a commercially viable product.

If the fans want to make more official Sonic games themselves, they're going to have to prove that they're capable of handling and finishing large scale projects, which would include the same deadlines that have plagued Sonic Team for decades, and approach Sega with their own ideas as Whitehead did with his Sonic CD remaster.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/11/2021 at 7:56 PM, Cosmos Rogue said:

Inconsistent quality has unfortunately been a hallmark of the Sonic series since the start. Sonic Blast on the Game Gear never gets released if Sega prioritized quality.

As for if Sega should hire more fans to make more Sonic games... Sonic fans tend to focus too much on Christian Whitehead being one of them, and not enough on the fact that he is a professional video game developer and a very good one at that. Whitehead spent years developing his own game engine, and remastering existing Sonic games before Sega let him develop a game on his own. The Sonic fan game and hacking community by comparison produces a lot of impressive demos, but few finished games. This goes doubly with the 3D fan games, not one of which I have seen comes anywhere near being a commercially viable product.

If the fans want to make more official Sonic games themselves, they're going to have to prove that they're capable of handling and finishing large scale projects, which would include the same deadlines that have plagued Sonic Team for decades, and approach Sega with their own ideas as Whitehead did with his Sonic CD remaster.

Can't deny that's fair. But I do think that some of the fans should at least be given a chance to be programmers on newer sonic games so they can help give input or show off how to make a working physics engine that doesn't play like arse.
Lets face it, the modern sonic team haven't even been that good at handling large scale projects too. These fan developers could help out too (maybe this is just me being overly optimistic about getting new good sonic games from people who love sonic)

Team Sonic Racing kinda surprisesme with how hard it fell. People seemed to be liking it just fine as and then Crash Team Racing happened and suddenly TSR is considered complete garbage. 

I gotta be honest I kinda think how "terrible" Forces is is greatly overblown. It's not my favorite game but it's fine. But the way people talk about it you'd think it was Satan in video game form.

Haven't played Lost World but IDK for all the "lol Mario" I see about it it seems like it tried to do something different and unique at least. Even story-wise I don't really get the hate. I've watched the cutscenes and some LP's and it seems fine to me.

IDK I think how bad the series has gotten is just overall blown way out of proportion. 

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Team Sonic Racing kinda surprisesme with how hard it fell. People seemed to be liking it just fine as and then Crash Team Racing happened and suddenly TSR is considered complete garbage. 

I gotta be honest I kinda think how "terrible" Forces is is greatly overblown. It's not my favorite game but it's fine. But the way people talk about it you'd think it was Satan in video game form.

Haven't played Lost World but IDK for all the "lol Mario" I see about it it seems like it tried to do something different and unique at least. Even story-wise I don't really get the hate. I've watched the cutscenes and some LP's and it seems fine to me.

IDK I think how bad the series has gotten is just overall blown way out of proportion. 

Tis fair, some of it definitely does get way too much hate. But it does seem like people are getting tired of the underwhelming quality of sonic games currently. 
Also, if they make something seem like it's the worst thing ever then people will listen to them for some reason

2 hours ago, RutterReviews said:

Tis fair, some of it definitely does get way too much hate. But it does seem like people are getting tired of the underwhelming quality of sonic games currently. 
Also, if they make something seem like it's the worst thing ever then people will listen to them for some reason

I guess. Maybe I'm just naive but I would rather focus on what I like than just constantly be mad about the things I don't. 

• Thumbs Up 1