Awoo.

Moar Orchestra score plz

jutgf

How many video games have a score from a developer thats not on a DS/PSP title? All of em. It's that simple, Sonic 06 and Unleased had this down and look how in style Sonic is with people. I'm sick of the remixes and the be boop music of the past, I want an actual smypathy performing Sonic Songs. I know this because Galaxy and Zelda have been praised for their scores and their actual orchestra of the classic series. Now Sonic is known to be cool and edgy, but it's gotten to the point where rock ain't gonna cut it these times, take a look at Bleach and Naruto, they had the same style as past Sonic songs with cheap bips and boops and synths, but they upgraded their style with more real instruments instead of synths. Notice how every Sonic games becomes more epic than the last, and music drastically changes. If Sonic wants to be cool, look at Soul Eater, Orchestrated Rock.

I actually want this to be Blazes theme song and I hate Blaze.

• Bad Quality Post 2

It's alright in moderation, or as an accompaniment to techno and rock, but if you really think orchestra music is popular with the kids these days you're sorely mistaken. Sonic will never go pure orchestra.

Also, Zelda has never had an orchestra perform any music outside of the trailer themes. Twilight Princess still used midi music (and to it's credit, used it very well).

Yeah, symphony won't be replacing rock anytime soon in the real world, fella. Not that I don't like orchestrated pieces; Sonic 2006 had quite a few orchestral pieces that I quite enjoyed (Sonic Unleashed's score was utter shit, though).

Truth be told, the whole symphonic movement should be coming to an end soon. Almost every single movie and video game has one nowadays, and it has frankly become very stale. After all, these composers aren't Vilvaldi and Mozart, are they?

Neither do I want remixes like the fans seem to love making; anything that sounds like a midi I will regard with ill favor if outside of a portable game. A deluge of techno I could deal with, and hell, I'd love a completely rock centric soundtrack to headbang to. But what the Sonic series needs to do is continue what they did in Sonic Adventure and Sonic 2006, which is strike a balance of styles without having terrible songs that misrepresent genres (Knuckles' theme song, any ethnic track in Unleashed). Of course, SA violated that rule, but at least it set the bar.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Sonic Unleashed was in no way orchestral. Only the title, Perfect Dark Gaia 2 and Eggman's recycled 06 theme were Orchestral. All other ones were cultural or cartoonish.

With that said, Unleashed is a step back from what 06 did with its grandiose music. But imo, Sonic doesn't need an orchestra to be honest. I really don't care if Zelda or Mario hopped onto the orchestra train to become modern; Zelda was destined to be so ever since it came on the N64 and as for Mario, it fit the mood as if it were a space opera. Comparing Zelda and Mario to Sonic is comparing apples to oranges (maybe to a lesser extent with Mario but still).

And to be honest I'm tired with everyone hopping the orchestra bandwagon. It's nothing special anymore really, last time it was cool it was Galaxy's music.

As for Sonic, it's no wonder he got the rock. It fits to his attitude and to the general stages. 06 imo justified the orchestral cause of the plot and setting itself which was tripe, even then it had rock in it though. Wave Ocean, Crisis City, White Acropolis etc. When I first heard the Green Hill Zone, it for me sounded ideal that it could spawn into a rock song in the well known future.

Sorry but I cant really imagine running Green Hill Zone with an epic orchestra in the background.

Edited by Frog-Tan
  • Thumbs Up 1

A good deal of Sonic Soundtracks are held in very high reguard by a ton of people. They must be doing something right with the series music, so I am much more content to sit back and let the composers do their jobs.... whoa, weird to be saying that about anything coming from Sonic Team :lol: .....

Orchestral music can find its way into the series where appropriate and I liked where it was placed for both Unleashed and 06. Rock is here to stay though.

Really, as long as the themes fit the characters and the stages, then I could care less what direction they take.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Well, that old school music is held in high regard by a lot of gamers across the board, not just for the Sonic series. I'm sure there's a way to translate it into a more modern sound though, and Sonic's done this to an extent. The remix/cover topic Brigado started is a good example of how people interpret those sounds. I'm actually checking out the Mario Galaxy cover that guy has on his site, and it's really nice. While that song isn't extremely Mario sounding to begin with, I can't help but associate it with Mario because as far as I'm concerned Galaxy is a modern classic. Mmn, I don't think I'm explaining it well. Nostalgia for these old sounds came from our enjoyment of good games. And any good game deserves good music. So no matter what type of music, good music on a good game generates a connection to those tunes. So even though I'm hearing orchestrated stuff, I'm thinking Mario.

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious? Anyways, there are some situations where a certain type of music sets the mood. Silent Hill uses ambient effects to raise tension. Games like (reaching back here) Ecco the Dolphin wouldn't be as good with a punk soundtrack, because Ecco is not a punk dolphin. Sonic fits with a few genres, I'd say primarily funk, DnB more recently, techno influences, and punk for more guitar. Orchestras might have a place, but in more limited epic cutscene moments. I don't think I'd really want to play a regular level with it in the back.

Not a fan of Sonic Orchestra music...

Yup. This is SONIC. I don't think orchestrated music fits. It's like they're trying too hard. No one needs an orchestrated version of "Endless Possibilities" to fight the last boss. Sonic 3 had some of the best music in the series and none of it had violins. I like techno, so I believe that fits the most. I actually hate most of the rock songs. .__.;

But even with that said, I enjoy variation. SA and SA2 are amazing because they have EVERYTHING. Especially SA2, rock, cheesy rap songs (XD), techno, Rouge's music was totally different (what would you call it?). But leave the violins out please. :P

I thought the philharmonic orchestra was a nice change in pace. I'd like to hear an orchestral take on the Sonic 1/2 theme, personally.

Rouge's music was totally different (what would you call it?). But leave the violins out please. :P

Rouge's music was Bossa Nova. It's a deriative of Jazz music that stems from Brazil. In mu honest opinion, one of the best genres in the world.

Honestly, I think a lot of you have pretty narrow tastes in music to think that Orchestra music can't fit for Sonic. Rock can convey Sonic energetic nature, but that doesn't mean we need every scene or setting to be Rock...and while I'm okay with Rock, I'm one who thinks a more varied soundtrack achieves more than one of few genres.

Music is for the tone and setting, so if Sonic were in space, I certainly would recommend Orchestra or Electronica.

Orchestra has it's place in the Sonic series, just like Rock, Jazz, Cultural/Ethnic, Hip-hop, R&B, Electronica. And while I don't listen to a lot of orchestra, it has a soothing touch that could work well with this series in certain places.

The intro track during the intro worked well enough, but that's because it was a cut scene. Orchestral music has to match the action pretty closely to work that well.

Rouge's music was Bossa Nova. It's a deriative of Jazz music that stems from Brazil. In mu honest opinion, one of the best genres in the world.

:blink:

Shame on me! I like bossa nova! "Aguas De Marco" is one of my favorite songs ever. I have five versions of it.

Orchestral music, more often than not, lacks punch, big time. I never was a fan of it, but that's not to say that it can't be done right. Mario Galaxy had some awesome orchestral songs. And the action went really well with the music.

Sonic on the other hand... well... he runs way too fast nowdays to fit well with orchestral music. He's going to have to slow down to Sonic Adventure 1 speed to have an orchestra fit him, and even then it's a stretch.

It needs to fit the moment. Orechestrated music can't just be used willy-nilly. It worked in Super Mario Galaxy because it fit the idea of the grandeur of space and in most RPGs because they have a lot of epic moments.

I can't really see Sonic running through Carnival Night Zone to Beethoven's Ninth.

I'll be fine with orchestra in-game if it has a techno backing of some kind. Metal Madness, The Last Way, Kingdom Valley and a fair handful of tracks from Sonic Riders ZG worked fine as stage music because they had a non-orchestral beat keeping them going. Sonic Unleashed's Opening movie is the same (while not level music, I would GLADLY have accepted that as a final stage theme).

You know what I DID find jarring? The "epic" boss music from Sonic Adventure. A surprising amount of people disagree, but I found Egg Viper/Egg Walker's theme to be dreadfully boring (and a lot of people DO agree) Perfect Chaos Ver.2 as well. They just seemed to be trying too hard when the existing music style was already fine for potential epicness (Chaos 6 had the most epic boss battle music), and things weren't helped, by just how blatantly synthesised said tunes were.

Edited by JezMM

You know what I DID find jarring? The "epic" boss music from Sonic Adventure. A surprising amount of people disagree, but I found Egg Viper/Egg Walker's theme to be dreadfully boring (and a lot of people DO agree).

While I don't really find anything great about that boss theme, I think Eggman has more potential for orchestrated music than other characters. His music always had a big drum or marching quality to it, so it's not really off.

I think the Levitated Ruin theme makes good use of many instruments with the violins and piano and sitar-sounding thing, over some heavy guitar. After all that it still sounds like Sonic music.

I don't think they should make a Sonic game consist entirely of orchestral music. One or two songs are okay but to have an entire soundtrack of orchestral music wouldn't fit. Each character has their individual style of music to match their personality and this is reflected in the stages. If it was all orchestral then they would lose a part of their character.

Take Knuckles for example, if he was given a new theme song created entirely by an orchestra it would be really weird.

Orchestra music should be used just like any other genre. And when I say that, I mean in places where it gives the impact.

Rock gives a more energetic and happy feel to the scene and makes things more action packed and exciting.

Breakbeat is absolutely heartpounding and intense at times, more so than Rock. It feels as if you're already exercising while playing the game, and you're heartbeat really starts racing.

Metal makes things sound dangerous and deadly and can sometimes make things fearful for you with the action going on.

Jazz and R&B have a smooth, laid-back feel to it. It's used only when you're just enjoying the view and playing around.

Hip-hop is less energetic than Rock, less dangerous sounding than Metal, and slightly less laid-back than Jazz/R&B. It can be used for all of those scenes, but it gives a more dramatic feel or a more poppy feel to it and can make you feel as if you want to jump like crazy and make not care how stupid you look doing it...oh, hip-hop can do a lot, you guys just don't listen to enough of it to get into it. ;)

As for Orchestra, you might not be listening to enough of it if you think that it lacks punch. The game Prototype had it's music with almost nothing but orchestra, and it has quite an effect on the scene and action going on. And let's not forget Final Fantasy 7's "One-Winged Angel" tune. Sonic's already done it himself in SA1's "Perfect Chaos: Revival" tune. Orchestra has a distinct "warning" feel to it. It starts out dramatic and feels like something really bad can happen, and when it suddenly happens it gets intense and the violins and wind insturments give that effect by quicker, more sudden sounds.

Orchestra has many distinct feels, and I categorize them into two groups: Soft and Elegant, or Hard and Violent. If you want a punch when it comes to orchestra, go for hard and violent, and that can have just as much of an impact.

...boy, I've really become an audiophile, haven't I?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

some orchest wouldnt damage the game. With that i mean 3,4 or 5 songs in the whole game. Main thing should still be the kind of songs found in the classics. Ice cap, nuff said

• Bad Quality Post 1

I liked how SA1 did their music... how they mixed together rock, synths, hip-hop, oriental, pop, DnB, and orchestrated stuff all into one super-genre. Because seemingly that "supergenre" was the majority of SA1's music, and was actually perfect, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

The orchestral score in Unleashed was FAB! I say they should totally do orchestrated music again!

Ehhh, don't overuse it though. Keep it for the title screen and the epic moments. =)

I want music that simply fits the level it is in. That doesn't mean I want one single genre throughout the entire game, if it is in a jungle level I want music that compliments the scenery. Either that or I want music that sounds like it is trying to be videogame music rather than music that belongs in some hollywood movie. Personally for me the music gives me a better experience when it gels with the level, rather than having a heavy rock song (or lets say in this case Orchestrated song) playing in every single level xD.