Awoo.

Should the Freedom Fighters come back to IDW Comics?

Rabbitearsblog

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Why Blaze world? That's a bit random. Plus Blaze already has a few adventures, due to being in a different dimension (Sonic Universe, we neeeeed you). FF would have even less screen time.

What's wrong with making them Diamond Cutters 2.0 who didn't die and continue opposing Eggman post-war/

Ya know, it would be hilarious if the Diamond Cutters were intended as throwaway expies to the Freedom Fighters, barring Whisper, to avoid killing the actual Freedom Fighters in order to bring them back as something new later. As if IDW wasn’t enough of a spiritual successor.

I’m not opposed to having them reintroduced as part of Blaze’s world tho. Would actually help give her dimension some much needed world-building, tho sending them there isn’t my first choice. Hell, have them be of Blaze’s elite Royal Guard like Eggman’s Egg Bosses that start kicking asses when they come to Sonic’s Dimension.

It is weird, so there is some logic to just cutting off old, non Sonic Team created characters and concepts. Heck even Sticks isn't allowed since she's tied to the now dead Boom branding. Fair enough, but what I don't get is not allowing the characters to be reinvented under new terms? There's not that much baggage is there?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

It is weird, so there is some logic to just cutting off old, non Sonic Team created characters and concepts. Heck even Sticks isn't allowed since she's tied to the now dead Boom branding. Fair enough, but what I don't get is not allowing the characters to be reinvented under new terms? There's not that much baggage is there?

After Silver in 2006, they decided they were done making new additions to the recurring cast. They've got their permanent characters, and they'll make new ones depending on the game's needs. 

Mark my words, when IDW is cancelled, we will never see any of those guys again.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, and after the recent Q&A, looks like that IF the Freedom Fighters ever appeared again, they will likely be in their classic SatAM versions and not in their Archie or any similar version to that.

This was from the live Q&A, whenever it is posted, I can put a link up if anyone wants proof.

1 hour ago, Promethean0416 said:

Yep, and after the recent Q&A, looks like that IF the Freedom Fighters ever appeared again, they will likely be in their classic SatAM versions and not in their Archie or any similar version to that.

This was from the live Q&A, whenever it is posted, I can put a link up if anyone wants proof.

That sucks for NICOLE since people love her lynx form which didn't appear in Satam.

1 hour ago, Vampfox said:

That sucks for NICOLE since people love her lynx form which didn't appear in Satam.

They could work their way into making Nicole into a lynx again though if they do decide to add in the Freedom Fighters back into the comics?  It would probably be done in a different way from the Archie Comics.

Nicole formally being an organic creature and gaining some level of independence was part of Ben Hurts's old notes for the character so I think that part of her is staying no matter what. Her design will be very different though which is a shame. Her design is probably my favorite of the Comic only characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Razule said:

Mark my words, when IDW is cancelled, we will never see any of those guys again.  

Sega really needs to stop that shit. That’s a shitty ass precedent that serves as a middle finger to fans of these characters.

Little fucking wonder they can’t keep a solid identity (which I’m not always complaining about, as there are some things I like) when they keep trashing everything like this like a child bored with their toys.

I actually like that they stayed at the Archie stories only. It makes associate good memories with the Archie Comics at the moment that I remember then, it's a strange feeling that I have and like, but that's something of myself.

4 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Aside from potentially losing Nicole's holo form (which sounds like it's probably the case) that still sucks since I'd rather them be designed in a manner similar to the reboot to go with modern Sonic (more specifically I'd just take the Archie reboot designs and call it a day). Bad enough Mighty, Ray, and the Hooligans are relegated to just being stuck on that end, and even then classic stuff nowadays are special events. Never liked how this franchise has become compartmentalized but I guess if Ian has a chance of doing something with them in the future, it'd be better than nothing at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

We couldn’t just keep Nicole’s species as a lynx?

I’m not against another redesign as long as I can still recognize her as Nicole. Or any of the Freedom Fighters.

In fact, I’m less of a fan of the SatAM looks than I am their reboot designs.

So what is the context of them returning to their original 1993 designs on the off chance they ever come back?

6 minutes ago, jungle_penguins said:

So what is the context of them returning to their original 1993 designs on the off chance they ever come back?

Because their original appearances don't have any association with Archie. They'd be based off of that incarnation, not returned to those exact designs. 

• My Emmerdoods 1

I don’t see what’s the problem with keeping Nicole as an AI. I mean, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Sonic Frontiers involving AIs?

17 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

I mean, I guess I wouldn't mind it since I do like and am nostalgic toward those designs, but I really appreciated how the Archie reboot made them to be more in line with the aesthetics of modern Sonic. They'd go right back to sticking out among the rest of the cast.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, antyep said:

I don’t see what’s the problem with keeping Nicole as an AI. I mean, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Sonic Frontiers involving AIs?

She's always been an A.I., but she probably won't be a lynx or look much like she did in Archie.

1 hour ago, antyep said:

I don’t see what’s the problem with keeping Nicole as an AI. 

People love her lynx form. 

22 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Was it said they can't use any the Archie specific designs again because I'm pretty sure we already knew that? Or are we talking they literally would have to use the SatAM designs (that would be...very strange, even if they did the stupid ass thing and confined them to the classic timeline).

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

Was it said they can't use any the Archie specific designs again because I'm pretty sure we already knew that? Or are we talking they literally would have to use the SatAM designs (that would be...very strange, even if they did the stupid ass thing and confined them to the classic timeline).

From what I heard from the live Q&A (still seeing if/when they post it), the question of the FF was brought up and it was stated that if SEGA/IDW decided it was okay for them to return, it would likely be in classic/SatAM form due to them choosing not to utilize any designs from the Archie run. I don't recall if it is a legal thing or it is a decision between SEGA/IDW to keep it strictly on what is owned or partially owned by the company.

I could see them choosing not to use the reboot redesigns to allow IDW to do their own thing if they wanted rather than it being a legal thing.

Though based on what we're already reading, I also see Sega just ordering a quick fanservice special to shut people up about them so they can establish whatever rules they want for the characters.

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

From what I heard from the live Q&A (still seeing if/when they post it), the question of the FF was brought up and it was stated that if SEGA/IDW decided it was okay for them to return, it would likely be in classic/SatAM form due to them choosing not to utilize any designs from the Archie run. I don't recall if it is a legal thing or it is a decision between SEGA/IDW to keep it strictly on what is owned or partially owned by the company.

I did some checking on their master list to see where the question might have been. The master list has today's date (June 27) for the question, so I assume it might be posted later today then if it was streamed a couple days ago (saw this appeared to be the case with a live Q&A from last month—streamed on the 28th but dated for the 30th). I don't follow the podcast very much so I don't know if it's normal for them to take it down temporarily or what.

13 hours ago, Razule said:

She's always been an A.I., but she probably won't be a lynx or look much like she did in Archie.

I can take her not looking like she did in Archie…as long as she stays a lynx.

It would be like changing Sonic into a porcupine if they didn’t. I can understand a new design, but why her look as a species is a bit boggling  for them to not allow when that wouldn’t apply with every other character.

11 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

I don't think they will reuse the original design 100%, I think they will have some small redesign to adapt them to current times.

And here it is, starting at the appropriate time. To add on, while SatAM was mentioned, they also brought up the possibility of the Classic universe:

Also, there is a follow up question towards the end, the second to last one in the video.

30 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Wasn't it revealed that Archie actually owns the rights to the Reboot Redesigns?

No such thing happened.