Awoo.

Should the Freedom Fighters come back to IDW Comics?

Rabbitearsblog

On 6/27/2022 at 9:22 PM, ComeAsYouAre said:

Wasn't it revealed that Archie actually owns the rights to the Reboot Redesigns?

I don't think so.  I'm not even sure if Archie owns anything from the Sonic comics, except maybe the stories themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m honestly quite surprised they’re gonna be allowed to use Witchcart and co in that upcoming Tails special, so I suppose there’s still hope for them?

31 minutes ago, Multikaris said:

I’m honestly quite surprised they’re gonna be allowed to use Witchcart and co in that upcoming Tails special, so I suppose there’s still hope for them?

Witchcart is originally from the games.

The Freedom Fighters, while loosely based on the small animals, are their own original characters that debuted in the cartoons.

So I think they're viewed by Sega as less related to the mainline games continuity than Witchcart is, even though Witchcart is probably more obscure overall.

• Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Witchcart is originally from the games.

The Freedom Fighters, while loosely based on the small animals, are their own original characters that debuted in the cartoons.

So I think they're viewed by Sega as less related to the mainline games continuity than Witchcart is, even though Witchcart is probably more obscure overall.

Witchcart’s game had no involvement from Sonic Team whatsoever. @Your Vest Friendcan explain better than I can, but still there’s less of a difference between them than it seems. They were also in Spinball, which is referenced in Mania and Origins.

Wendy's appearance definitely gives me a little hope that some cogs are turning over at Sega. 

1 hour ago, Multikaris said:

Witchcart’s game had no involvement from Sonic Team whatsoever. @Your Vest Friendcan explain better than I can, but still there’s less of a difference between them than it seems. They were also in Spinball, which is referenced in Mania and Origins.

Right, they were in Spinball, so I do think they at least have a chance. I'm just saying Witchcart still debuted in a game first - Sonic Team-made or no, it still makes her a "game character" first and foremost.

I think their appearance in Spinball would be a good avenue to get them into the games proper, mind you. Sally wouldn't be a lifelong friend of Sonic's (and probably not a princess, either? Don't know if any "Kingdom of Acorn" would exist in the games universe), but she could be "that person I saved from the Veg-O-Fortress that one time," giving them at least some history together, however brief.

It would be a good way to differentiate the game versions of these characters with their cartoon/comic counterparts.

Also, I know Spinball was referenced in Origins (the Veg-O-Fortress being the Mission Mode island), but I don't remember it in Mania. Could you remind me?

41 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Also, I know Spinball was referenced in Origins (the Veg-O-Fortress being the Mission Mode island), but I don't remember it in Mania. Could you remind me?

Sonic Spinball didn't get any references in Sonic Mania to my knowledge. There was a mod that replaced the Trap Tower mini-game with a Spinball themed one, but that's not exactly official, needless to say.

sure hope everyone who keeps bringing up spinball has said their goodbyes to antoine and is ready to never see him again

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

4 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic Spinball didn't get any references in Sonic Mania to my knowledge.

The warp sound effect from Spinball was reused for the teleporting Hornet vans. 3:53

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mauro Fonseca said:

sure hope everyone who keeps bringing up spinball has said their goodbyes to antoine and is ready to never see him again

It's okay. He's Fr*nch.

32 minutes ago, Razule said:

It's okay. He's Fr*nch.

And we already have Rouge.