Awoo.

Should the Freedom Fighters come back to IDW Comics?

Rabbitearsblog

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle is a clearly flawed character in spite (or despite) all that she's accomplished. Her perfectionism and obsessive tendencies are played as both a strength and a liability. 

Another appealing part of her character was that her being a leader, a princess and/or perfectionist was not all that she was. She had a love for reading, learning and eventually teaching. She had a love for her friends and willingness to do or try anything to help them. And she could kick ass as the need arose. 

Feel like Sally's character is missing aspects of who she yet beyond the scope of the mission. Or the need to be a princess to her Kingdom. What are her traits? Her quirks? Her hobbies? What does she like and dislike besides Justice and the Eggman Empire, respectively?

Felt like the writers did a better job of doing that for every other Freedom Fighter. Antoine liked to cook. Rotor geeked out over computers. Bunnie kept herself fashionable. And even Nicole was beginning to find herself as more an individual than a servant. 

One idea was to have her as something of a gymnast or other type of athlete. Attempting to work around her lack of superpowers by being at her best physically. Maybe she had a thing for sports which can also help when it comes to planning missions (she knows how to make and work with a team) and finding a connection to Sonic (who also likes competition). 

Y'know on that note people keep bringing up the possibility of Prime bringing in other versions of Sonic but honestly what if they did?

Would be shocked if the whole multiverse premise was for any other reason than to make it the Modern and Classic Sonic Show. They are going to ride Classic Sonic's popularity until the wheels fall off. 

And since they're not (and can't) bring in my favorite Sonic I couldn't care less--. 

59 minutes ago, Mobotropolis said:

Feel like Sally's character is missing aspects of who she yet beyond the scope of the mission. Or the need to be a princess to her Kingdom. What are her traits? Her quirks? Her hobbies? What does she like and dislike besides Justice and the Eggman Empire, respectively?

Felt like the writers did a better job of doing that for every other Freedom Fighter. Antoine liked to cook. Rotor geeked out over computers. Bunnie kept herself fashionable. And even Nicole was beginning to find herself as more an individual than a servant. 

One idea was to have her as something of a gymnast or other type of athlete. Attempting to work around her lack of superpowers by being at her best physically. Maybe she had a thing for sports which can also help when it comes to planning missions (she knows how to make and work with a team) and finding a connection to Sonic (who also likes competition).

I believe Sally had some affinity for archeology, as seen in a couple of episodes in SatAM, and one, maybe two, issues in the early comics. And even though its fan-work (but might as well be official at this point), Sally's mother in Sea3on was an archeologist. I wished the comics shown more of this aspect.

Without reading anything outside of the first post - yes, I really want them back. I also grew up with this canon and they have a special place in my heart. 💙 

Not now, due to sega's overbearing restrictions and the lack of other consistent books the world feels cluttered already. Even though it is not too defined. 

Maybe when there is more room. But even then I don't think they bring any inherent value to this book that couldn't be done better with none of the baggage and expectations of new characters

Is there a way to read about their restrictions? I’m curious to learn more because when the comics came out in the 90’s they really weren’t involved - it’s interesting that they are now.

Honestly? No, I don't think the FF should come back.

I completely understand if you're attached to the characters and want to see them again, and it genuinely sucks that their stories had to be cut short because of the issues the Archie comic ended up having behind the scenes, but.....for better or worse, their stories are done.

It's......I hope I can put my thoughts on this into something resembling a coherent point.....For those who love the FF, it's because of the history and lore that was built up over all the years of the Archie run, all the ups and down, the happy times, and the sad ones, the relationships they had with each other and with the rest of the Archie cast.

But.

IDW wouldn't be able to bring that back along with them. Sure, you could bring Sally Acorn back, but it wouldn't be the Sally who lead the Freedom Fighters through those desperate early years, who built a genuine friendship with Nicole, who was roboticized and brought back by a cosmic reset button. It'd be Sally Acorn, sure, but not Sally Acorn.

Bringing them back now.....for the older fans who loved them in the Archie series, that special something wouldn't be there, and for the newer fans who started with the IDW comics, bringing them in now would only take pagetime away from the new characters that they may have gotten attached to. Sometimes when you try and recapture what made something great, it only sours your memories of the original.

Let's leave those memories of the good times as they are. The stories of the FF aren't gone, they're not invalidated by any of the newer material, they're just.....told, I guess.

I think I've probably rambled a little too much but hopefully someone picked up on the point I was trying to make. Thanks for indulging me.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Strider_Xhaiden said:

I completely understand if you're attached to the characters and want to see them again, and it genuinely sucks that their stories had to be cut short because of the issues the Archie comic ended up having behind the scenes, but.....for better or worse, their stories are done.

It's......I hope I can put my thoughts on this into something resembling a coherent point.....For those who love the FF, it's because of the history and lore that was built up over all the years of the Archie run, all the ups and down, the happy times, and the sad ones, the relationships they had with each other and with the rest of the Archie cast.

But.

IDW wouldn't be able to bring that back along with them. Sure, you could bring Sally Acorn back, but it wouldn't be the Sally who lead the Freedom Fighters through those desperate early years, who built a genuine friendship with Nicole, who was roboticized and brought back by a cosmic reset button. It'd be Sally Acorn, sure, but not Sally Acorn.

Bringing them back now.....for the older fans who loved them in the Archie series, that special something wouldn't be there, and for the newer fans who started with the IDW comics, bringing them in now would only take pagetime away from the new characters that they may have gotten attached to. Sometimes when you try and recapture what made something great, it only sours your memories of the original.

Let's leave those memories of the good times as they are. The stories of the FF aren't gone, they're not invalidated by any of the newer material, they're just.....told, I guess.

I think I've probably rambled a little too much but hopefully someone picked up on the point I was trying to make. Thanks for indulging me.

A well thought out response and one I agree with!

On 4/4/2021 at 4:15 PM, Strider_Xhaiden said:

So why not make new ones for them?

But.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you weren’t already aware, that same Sally you’re talking about was already gone in that exact same cosmic reset button you pointed out. She was never the same Sally after that.

So why would that be a hinderance now? Better yet, what makes Sally “Sally Acorn” to begin with?

For the older fans who loved them in the Archie series, that special something was already lost before IDW and replaced with something else come the reboot. If they were that much of a purist on them, that is.

Those that stuck around didn’t mind when they were remade.

And for newer fans...I’m sorry, but this really needs to be said: stop using newer fans as an excuse. Because that’s really all this is every time new fans are even brought up.

If these newer fans didn’t have a problem with new characters like Tangle and Whisper taking page time from characters like Sonic and Shadow, they’re not going to have a problem with a new take on Sally or Bunnie, and they might very well like them. So as far as I can tell, this comes off more as projecting.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/4/2021 at 4:15 PM, Strider_Xhaiden said:

But.

I understand the sentiment here but I don't agree with it. There would have been no point in rebooting the Sonic comic at all going by this logic, but a lot of fans of the older characters/world are still finding a lot to enjoy with this new one. The same can be true of the FFs.

• Way Past Cool 1

BRING BACK THE FFS!!!! If they can find a clever way to intertwine them with the existing story - why not? Sonic is as old as me and you youngins still love him just the same. It's all about modernization - Classic is NOT the Sonic you love, so why can't we have a more modern FFS? Just a thought. xo peace and love. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

As a huge fan of the Freedom Fighters, no. I feel that if they were thrown into the IDW comics, they wouldn't be the Freedom Fighters anymore. They work great with the universe they're in, but outside that, I can't see it working. But if those recent "leaks" that have been floating around are real (which, I don't believe they are), then I suppose it could be interesting to see how they're handled. The Sally design does sound cute. 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, HoloLynx said:

As a huge fan of the Freedom Fighters, no. I feel that if they were thrown into the IDW comics, they wouldn't be the Freedom Fighters anymore. They work great with the universe they're in, but outside that, I can't see it working. But if those recent "leaks" that have been floating around are real (which, I don't believe they are), then I suppose it could be interesting to see how they're handled. The Sally design does sound cute. 

I do wonder thought that if the FF do come back, how will they be written for this universe?  Will they have to tone down a few things about their characters to fit the mandates the SEGA has for the characters or will they be the same characters from the Archie Comics?

Sally Acorn is the daughter and heiress of the wealthy business tycoon, Nigel Acorn, the CEO of conglomerate Acorn, Inc. which is responsible for ground-breaking technology and infrastructure projects around the world.

Treated as daddy’s “little princess,” she was given the best education and self-defense training money could buy under the tutelage of her caretaker Rosemary, and has since been fascinated by the world at large in which her father operates. Thanks to her pocket supercomputer AI Nicole, Sally has taken interest in the field of Big Data, which she she believes will change the world by giving many, even the poorest people, the same level of education she benefited from growing up.

One day, her father was taken captive by Dr. Eggman, who sought to use the resources of Acorn, Inc. to further his goal of world domination. Upon meeting Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends from the Restoration, she befriends the timid yet passionate Antoine, the boisterous Bunnie Rabbot, and the inventive Rotor as they set out to find her father, retake the conglomerate, and aid the Restoration in putting the world back together.

See that? All I did was take out the monarchy and replace it with a business company, with a nod of Sally being treated like a Princess.

Guys, it is not hard to reimagine these characters in a new roles and still keeping them recognizable.

And this is one of several different takes I made up on the fly. I had another one where Nigel Acorn was the Sonic equivalent of Metal Gear’s Big Boss as the head of an Anti-Eggman Mercenary force like the Diamond Cutters (with him being the one who trained them), with Sally being trained to take over after him.

This level of creativity is not hard.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, HoloLynx said:

But if those recent "leaks" that have been floating around are real (which, I don't believe they are), then I suppose it could be interesting to see how they're handled. The Sally design does sound cute. 

Wait what leaks are these now?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/14/2021 at 11:54 PM, SBR2 said:

Wait what leaks are these now?

Someone on /v/ claimed to have information on upcoming Sonic stuff. At one point, they mention the Freedom Fighters will show up in the IDW comics with new designs that are a combination of their post and pre-SGW designs, and that Sally will be playable in the mobile games.

Edit: found a screenshot

spacer.png

Oh boy, would I love to get my hopes up for that to be true. But I’m gonna keep myself skeptical until I see it come true.

Quick easy and public three marks to point it's fake:

- Hesse doesn't make music.

- The MJ stuff wouldn't be cleared this easily.

- Archie is also a legal pothole. Again, were the FF to return, they'd be based on SatAM. "Preboot + Postboot designs" = fake.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, HoloLynx said:

spacer.png

Wow. This is fake as shit. Now Heese doing music could be a mistake and he meant Tee Lopes but there's just so much wish fulfillment going on here. Upscaled Classic Sonic with the Michael Jackson Sonic 3 music restored and remixed tunes by Tee Lopes, A New Sonic Game developed by Dimps (a company Sega hasn't worked with since like Unleashed on Wii) set in the IDW universe with a playable Shadow, The Freedom Fighters coming to IDW and Battle/Dash, Rally4Sally actually working.

This all just screams fake to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

A New Sonic Game developed by Dimps (a company Sega hasn't worked with since like Unleashed on Wii)

Dimps's last Sonic game was Lost World 3DS.

But yeah, obviously fake leak is obvious.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Dimps's last Sonic game was Lost World 3DS.

But yeah, obviously fake leak is obvious.

Ah, my bad. I always forget about the Handheld versions of Colors-Lost World.

12 hours ago, HoloLynx said:

Someone on /v/ claimed to have information on upcoming Sonic stuff. At one point, they mention the Freedom Fighters will show up in the IDW comics with new designs that are a combination of their post and pre-SGW designs, and that Sally will be playable in the mobile games.

Edit: found a screenshot

spacer.png

Unless IDW comics stated this information themselves or someone working for IDW comics had stated this information, then I don't think that this leak is true.  Unfortunately, there's been a lot of leaks about Sonic lately that could or could not be true.  I just wish that SEGA confirmed that something is happening with the franchise right now just so these possible false leaks would stop popping up.

• Thumbs Up 2

The false leaks happened when there were three games in a year, announcing more stuff won't stop them.

Honestly people will always make stuff up. Sometimes it can be convincing but most of the time it's utter nonsense. 

Nothing is ever going to change that.

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly people will always make stuff up. Sometimes it can be convincing but most of the time it's utter nonsense. 

Nothing is ever going to change that.

Which is quite unfortunate, especially if you are trying to figure out what information is true and what information is false.

• Thumbs Up 2