Awoo.

Should the Freedom Fighters come back to IDW Comics?

Rabbitearsblog

2 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

The false leaks happened when there were three games in a year, announcing more stuff won't stop them.

It may not stop the leaks, but atleast less people would be inclined to believe them.

23 minutes ago, HoloLynx said:

It may not stop the leaks, but atleast less people would be inclined to believe them.

Yeah, I'm hearing more people being suspicious about these rumors rather than believe them nowadays.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Yeah, I'm hearing more people being suspicious about these rumors rather than believe them nowadays.

I still see a lot of people believing all the fake leaks, but you are right in that there's been more skepticism. Remember Sonic Blue Thunder? I still find Debra the Bat hysterical. 

Here is a post related to the discussion: 

I am not sure what he is trying to get here. He says Flynn could have brought back the Freedom Fighters any time and shows copyright to prove it...but isnt that to a subsidiary of SEGA in general?

Stop falling for bad youtuber bait videos. Just like, stop watching his videos. It's going to be a mix of rumour and bad faith speculations.

For the record, no, Flynn can't "bring back the Freedom Fighters any time", because Sega won't let that happen, because it's not the direction they want for the brand. It's legally allowed (in that Sega owns the cartoons) and corporatively forbidden (in that they're just plain not interested in using this stuff, similarly to how, dunno, Capcom owns Street Fighter but wouldn't have Chun-Li in Archie Mega Man). When Ian says they might come back, it's because given enough time, there's always the chance for a change in who in Sega is giving orders and a new person popping in who'd allow it.

Related, latest Bumblekast has this as the first question-

"Is there any chance that the Archie Sonic characters might show up in idw sonic?"

With the comically terse (kinda rare for Ian) answer of just plain "No." and moving on to the next question.

Leaving mention of it here to underline what was talked here before of "if the Freedom Fighters DID return, they'd be based on SatAM, because anything Archie is gone".

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the better question is that on the opportunity the Freedom Fighters come back, do they have to be based on SatAM?

It’s not like they can’t redesign them like they did with the Post-Reboot designs and give them a new look that still makes them familiar and recognizable, along with new backgrounds that still reflect their character and development.

Not that I’d complain if they go towards their SatAM feel (I’ve always thought Antoine should’ve kept his blue jacket in the Reboot), but I would think they’d have more flexibility in interpreting their designs for IDW and also give them a fresh new start (again).

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

Capcom owns Street Fighter but wouldn't have Chun-Li in Archie Mega Man

I mean...Technically they kinda did. The recurring reporter was a sneaky nod to her from the 90's movie.

But yeah I do get your point. Honestly like I said earlier I'm in the boat that I don't want them to be in the main book but if they ever convinced Sega of the demand I wouldn't mind a G.I. Joe A Real American Hero or Transformers Regeneration One situation where they revived the Archie book with it's original numbering but a different title like "Sonic Freedom" to avoid brand confusion.

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I think the better question is that on the opportunity the Freedom Fighters come back, do they have to be based on SatAM?

It’s not like they can’t redesign them like they did with the Post-Reboot designs and give them a new look that still makes them familiar and recognizable, along with new backgrounds that still reflect their character and development.

Not that I’d complain if they go towards their SatAM feel (I’ve always thought Antoine should’ve kept his blue jacket in the Reboot), but I would think they’d have more flexibility in interpreting their designs for IDW and also give them a fresh new start (again).

When saying "based on SatAM" it's moreso intended as "as opposed to Archie". IE, "SatAM is the starting point"- doesn't mean many changes can't be made (and in fact would have to be), just that it's all got to either be new or rooted in SatAM, nothing from Archie.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is this fanfic that ties the Archie comic (before and after SGW) into IDW. It has a few good ideas but is really corny. The last chapter and beginning are pretty good though: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12966212/7/Distant-Echoes

That said I know this isn't possible because of SEGA's bad habit of overcorrection involving failures or headaches (i.e Pender's lawsuit leading to mandates). 

16 hours ago, The KKM said:

Leaving mention of it here to underline what was talked here before of "if the Freedom Fighters DID return, they'd be based on SatAM, because anything Archie is gone".

Citation please?

Also, 

On 4/20/2021 at 3:28 AM, The KKM said:

Capcom owns Street Fighter but wouldn't have Chun-Li in Archie Mega Man

On 4/20/2021 at 5:45 AM, SBR2 said:

I mean...Technically they kinda did. The recurring reporter was a sneaky nod to her from the 90's movie.

Having a character in a different game appear as themselves in another series is different from a fun cameo. Mega Man 9 had Chun Li be a news reporter as a cameo, but that doesn't mean Chun Li the streetfigher is canon in Mega Man.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:28 AM, The KKM said:

22 hours ago, ryu238 said:

Citation please?

I think Ian mentioned it several times in his Bumblekast. Too lazy to go look for it myself, but here's the master list of Q&A: https://bumbleking.com/bumblekast-qa-master-list/

There was also some messy stuff with the Rally4sally twitter account making up fake proof for whether Sega owns the Freedom Fighters.

On 4/21/2021 at 4:26 AM, ryu238 said:

Citation please?

The literal post you quoted, wherein I say "the latest Bumblekast".

Found this. Why do people think that SEGA doesn't own the characters? They blame Flynn for not fighting for the Freedom Fighters because he supposedly admitted that they were Grandfathered in and SEGA never intended to get rid of them...except it sounds like SEGA themselves wouldn't have a choice under this logic.

I really see nothing wrong with introducing the Freedom Fighters to the IDW comics. In fact, I welcome it. As other's have said, there's really nothing to suggest that the very world of the IDW comics has to change just to accommodate the FFs. Seeing as how the Post-SGW Archie Comics brought in some of the most obscure characters in Sonic media like Breezie, Honey, Scratch and Grounder, etc., I think the IDW comics can manage to adapt the FFs to the IDW world perfectly fine. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Stop linking this shit already.

• Thumbs Up 9

Oh, my God. Dude you see that thumbnail and you take it seriously? I'm sorry but c'mon. This narrative that Ian hates the Freedom Fighters is so damn comical to me. It's completely divorced from all reality and it's just because people want someone to blame for why a bunch of frankly irrelevant characters aren't around anymore.

I love the Freedom Fighters. I loved the Archie comic. I hope someday the stars align and we get a revival at IDW but they just aren't relevant to anyone but the people who read the Archie comic.

• Thumbs Up 4

I’m going to try to divert away from that recent topic for something I always wondered.

Freedom Fighters in IDW...not gonna happen, let alone be in a game. But let’s say the FFs actually does get to be in a legit Sonic Team game. How would you react? How would the fandom react? Me, I think those hardcore anti-Sally/FF fans would search high and low for a reason to say that game doesn’t count as canon. Some who don’t like them cuz they’re not game characters would just act like they always been game characters like with Sonic’s thing for chili dogs. Cuz I remember before chili dogs were a thing in the games, people argue that it’s not canon. Now they’re acting like it’s always been canon.

1 hour ago, antyep said:

I’m going to try to divert away from that recent topic for something I always wondered.

Freedom Fighters in IDW...not gonna happen, let alone be in a game. But let’s say the FFs actually does get to be in a legit Sonic Team game. How would you react? How would the fandom react? Me, I think those hardcore anti-Sally/FF fans would search high and low for a reason to say that game doesn’t count as canon. Some who don’t like them cuz they’re not game characters would just act like they always been game characters like with Sonic’s thing for chili dogs. Cuz I remember before chili dogs were a thing in the games, people argue that it’s not canon. Now they’re acting like it’s always been canon.

Also, if the Freedom Fighters do get into the games, SEGA will probably change them to make them fit in better with the current series and a lot of older fans of the Freedom Fighters probably wouldn't like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

As an older fan of the Freedom Fighters I'll take them in whatever form I can get. Hell, fans aren't exactly liking current treads with certain main stays of the cast. Honestly at this point if they did make it in and weren't changed in arbitrary ways I'd feel jipped! They ain't special, let them in so they can take their lumps with everyone else! 😛 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, antyep said:

So basically the Freedom Fighters get haters, which they and plenty of other characters already have.

Here’s a better question: why is that really worth them raging over to begin with? Do they actually care about a character’s actual character or do they just want to hate for the sake of hating? Because it’s not that surprising for Sonic fans to look for or make up any excuse to do the latter since they’ve been doing that for well over a decade. Just ask Shadow, whom many haters still can’t get over his character or his game’s reception even after 15 years.

As for how I would react? Hard to say, as that depends on how they intend to pull it off. Generally speaking, I know I’d have some enjoyment, as would many long time Sonic fans who grew up with the old cartoons seeing their childhood get a new lease of life.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, antyep said:

I would say cool play it and hope it's good. As for the haters...there's always gonna be haters. Personally I'm not someone who gives a rats ass about what's the most canon I just see Sonic as Sonic regardless of the continuity.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's ironic that some game purist used to call Ian a "Sally fanbrat". They complained about the exact opposit compared to these Western Sonic hardliner! 😆

I'll be honest, it is very likely that the Freedom Fighters are not going to be in this series. 

To be clear, I do not dislike them, as I grew up watching SatAM and enjoyed the series dark tone.

Even if there is the slim chance that they can appear, what purpose will they serve? They are known to be a resistance group, which there is already one in the current comic. They would just be shoehorned in with little to no buildup and would divide the focus on the current cast. It was easier with the Archie comics as they came out the same year SatAM was either in its final season or already cancelled (still an irritating cliffhanger, by the way.) and the comics just went off that storyline.

IDW and the writers are just focusing on bringing new stories and cast (while keeping the SEGA cast and focusing on stories mainly involving them for the most part), unless there is the slim chance that SEGA will approve their use and a way is found to bring them in without making it feel rushed and a good fit for whatever purpose they are intended for.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, Promethean0416 said:

I'll be honest, it is very likely that the Freedom Fighters are not going to be in this series. 

To be clear, I do not dislike them, as I grew up watching SatAM and enjoyed the series dark tone.

Even if there is the slim chance that they can appear, what purpose will they serve? They are known to be a resistance group, which there is already one in the current comic. They would just be shoehorned in with little to no buildup and would divide the focus on the current cast. It was easier with the Archie comics as they came out the same year SatAM was either in its final season or already cancelled (still an irritating cliffhanger, by the way.) and the comics just went off that storyline.

IDW and the writers are just focusing on bringing new stories and cast (while keeping the SEGA cast and focusing on stories mainly involving them for the most part), unless there is the slim chance that SEGA will approve their use and a way is found to bring them in without making it feel rushed and a good fit for whatever purpose they are intended for.

That's how I feel if SEGA decided to bring in the Freedom Fighters to the IDW comics.  It would just feel like they are rehashing the same characters in this universe, even though the current cast already had some characteristics from the Freedom Fighters.