Awoo.

Should the Freedom Fighters come back to IDW Comics?

Rabbitearsblog

I don't think it's just IDW that can grant permission to include the FF in the book, approval from Sega is likely needed too.

If the intent for the IDW comic series is to have a brand new series with brand new characters and steering away from what was in the past, they will likely be not included in the series in any way, but I could be wrong depending on how they are included and portrayed. Since there is already a resistance team that functions the same as the FF, they will likely not serve in that role again lest they be shoehorned in for fan service.

I grew up watching and reading the FF stories and would love to see them included again, but not in a way that seems forced. We will just have to wait and see what happens further on as the series progresses.

7 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

I don't think it's just IDW that can grant permission to include the FF in the book, approval from Sega is likely needed too.

Pretty much this.  What's preventing the Freedom Fighters from coming into the IDW comics is SEGA themselves.  They seem to not want to put the Freedom Fighters in any of their franchises at the moment and I guess it's because these are characters that were not created by SEGA themselves and SEGA is trying to steer away from any old TV shows or other media in the past that strayed away from the games.

That would be some pretty amazing logic on their end then if that’s the case.

Instead of adapting characters from shows to fit the games, just exclude them because you didn’t make them…ignoring the fact that you own the full rights to them to literally do whatever you want with them.

I have to say, for all the grief I put on them, I’d like to be fair and think there’s a bit more to it than something that petty.

38 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

That would be some pretty amazing logic on their end then if that’s the case.

Instead of adapting characters from shows to fit the games, just exclude them because you didn’t make them…ignoring the fact that you own the full rights to them to literally do whatever you want with them.

I have to say, for all the grief I put on them, I’d like to be fair and think there’s a bit more to it than something that petty.

SEGA prefers to keep different interpretations of Sonic separate, and when they're done, they're done. I'd assume apathy over pettiness. The old cartoon characters, or any others from defunct comics, manga, paperbacks, etc, were made specifically for the material they appeared in, and they see no need to use them once they end.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/16/2022 at 10:49 PM, ComeAsYouAre said:

Yes, it's time for the franchise to embrace being a Battle Shounen and have one multi chapter fights

Yeah. Jokes aside. I have wondered if an adaptation of Frontiers could give these a characters a chance to make an appearance. 

I bring that up cause we know little of the location the game takes place and I imagined it could act as a fresh start for these characters given that it is a new location and could leave room for scenarios that the comics could play with that the game proper may not necessarily cover. 

Just now, Zoomzeta said:

Yeah. Jokes aside. I have wondered if an adaptation of Frontiers could give these a characters a chance to make an appearance. 

I bring that up cause we know little of the location the game takes place and I imagined it could act as a fresh start for these characters given that it is a new location and could leave room for scenarios that the comics could play with that the game proper may not necessarily cover. 

Just a funny idea I had on my head. 

2 hours ago, Razule said:

SEGA prefers to keep different interpretations of Sonic separate, and when they're done, they're done. I'd assume apathy over pettiness. The old cartoon characters, or any others from defunct comics, manga, paperbacks, etc, were made specifically for the material they appeared in, and they see no need to use them once they end.

And right there is the problem with Sega’s entire process towards literally everything they do with Sonic, cuz they apparently don’t seem limit that with just the interpretations of Sonic.

If they were so apathetic, they wouldn’t have much issue letting others who care find more use for them.

11 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

And right there is the problem with Sega’s entire process towards literally everything they do with Sonic, cuz they apparently don’t seem limit that with just the interpretations of Sonic.

If they were so apathetic, they wouldn’t have much issue letting others who care find more use for them.

Just like Nintendo with Mario :V

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Just like Nintendo with Mario :V

Don’t even get me started on Nintendo with Mario.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Don’t even get me started on Nintendo with Mario.

I'm starting. Nintendo is incredibly conservative and have yet to push for a new comic book series based on the Mario franchise. :p

6 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

I'm starting. Nintendo is incredibly conservative and have yet to push for a new comic book series based on the Mario franchise. 😛

I'm surprised that Nintendo hasn't done any Mario comics for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Didn’t Archie tried to make a Mario comic series but the idea was rejected?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, antyep said:

When did this happen?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, antyep said:

Yup.

3IC6FTT.jpg

At an unspecified time, comic publisher Archie Comics pitched a Mario comic adaptation to Nintendo, written by Ian Flynn and featuring art by Tracy Yardley and Ben Bates. The pitch first became known to the public when concept art for it was published on website Comics Art Fan in 2015 (since deleted)

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Vampfox said:

Yup.

3IC6FTT.jpg

At an unspecified time, comic publisher Archie Comics pitched a Mario comic adaptation to Nintendo, written by Ian Flynn and featuring art by Tracy Yardley and Ben Bates. The pitch first became known to the public when concept art for it was published on website Comics Art Fan in 2015 (since deleted)

Oh!  Ian Flynn was going to write this series?  I wonder how the Mario series would have been like if Ian Flynn wrote the series?

• Thumbs Up 2

Fuck, I knew they had an idea, but I didn’t know they had a cover.

Damn, that would’ve been awesome to see!

• Thumbs Up 1

At an unspecified time,[1] comic publisher Archie Comics pitched a Mario comic adaptation to Nintendo, written by Ian Flynn and featuring art by Tracy Yardley and Ben Bates. The pitch first became known to the public when concept art for it was published on website Comics Art Fan in 2015 (since deleted).[2] Author Ian Flynn would revisit the Mario comic in 2019, giving more details on Twitter about its fate (stating that he heard the comic was well-received by Nintendo of America but was rejected by Nintendo's Japanese office) and the planned storyline for it.[3]

According to Ian Flynn, it was planned to begin with a 4-issues mini series with plans to turn the comic into an ongoing series had it been successful.[4] The comic would have taken an approach similar to Flynn's work on Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comics, featuring "narrative-driven adaptations of the games with stories bridging the canon". Reflecting back on the pitch, Flynn stated, "It's not how I'd approach a Mario project today - too much drama, not enough whimsy. Still, I thought some of y'all might get a kick out of it."[5]

The above text is from the Super Mario Wiki and is available under a Creative Commons license. Attribution must be provided through a list of authors or a link back to the original article. Source: https://www.mariowiki.com/Archie_Comics_Mario_comic

Here is all I could find about Archie's Mario idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, antyep said:

I dunno. Maybe something like this.

https://www.snafu-comics.com/nsma/issue-1-cover

Interesting. Reminds me of the original Super Mario Adventures comic from Nintendo Power.

Regarding the Freedom Fighters, I am also thinking that if anything, maybe they may get a cameo appearance or obscure reference in the series at best (if permissions are given, of course).

On 5/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

There doesn't need to be when there has been a Mario manga still running since Super Mario World released.

Just now, Slashy said:

There doesn't need to be when there has been a Mario manga still running since Super Mario World released.

Oh really? There's an ongoing Mario manga currently ongoing? 

• 1 month later...

If the Freedom Fighters reappeared in IDW and the problem is that they don't want them to be very regular characters in the comic,
I think that the solution would be that they were from the universe of Blaze the cat and that they were his companions in adventures, although the history of some characters such as Sally's would have to be retouched.

4 hours ago, Matdrac said:

If the Freedom Fighters reappeared in IDW and the problem is that they don't want them to be very regular characters in the comic,
I think that the solution would be that they were from the universe of Blaze the cat and that they were her companions in adventures, although the history of some characters such as Sally's would have to be retouched.

Why Blaze world? That's a bit random. Plus Blaze already has a few adventures, due to being in a different dimension (Sonic Universe, we neeeeed you). FF would have even less screen time.

What's wrong with making them Diamond Cutters 2.0 who didn't die and continue opposing Eggman post-war/

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Why Blaze world? That's a bit random. Plus Blaze already has a few adventures, due to being in a different dimension (Sonic Universe, we neeeeed you). FF would have even less screen time.

What's wrong with making them Diamond Cutters 2.0 who didn't die and continue opposing Eggman post-war/

Why in Blaze world, I have already said, if it were up to me I would already have opened them introduced in the main plot, the culprit is Sega and it is a simple idea that I have done, for the reasons that I said before since being in another world would only appear eventually