Awoo.

Mirror's Edge

eXtaticus

Since the Mirror's Edge 2 announcement, more people than ever have been flocking to their nearest game store to pick up the original and see what all the fuss is about. But is the first title in the series worth the cash? This topic will hopefully ascertain what the general opinion is about Mirror's Edge, and investigate what makes it good/ bad. Enjoy!

MY OPINION: There is a good reason why platform games never adopt a first person view; the tedious ledge-jumping sessions in Halo spoiled an otherwise brilliant game and the physics-based bouncing skits presented in Half-Life were equally awful. Having said that, one should not overlook this rather daunting fact: the two aforementioned games (Halo and Half-Life) were both primarily shooters, not platformers. Could you imagine what playing them would be like if they were? Idiotic collision detection faults and a strange, uncontrollable perspective would only be the start of a long list of problems… and this is where Mirror’s Edge comes in.

Harking back to the primitive days of Quake or Hexen in terms of game engine design, Mirror’s Edge provides nothing less than what is unquestionably the worst first person camera view of all time; a supremely jerky perspective and mind boggling motion blur effects add together to make an utterly nauseating experience and the dizzying heights that most stages take place in don’t help at all – there is a constant and frustrating feeling that the camera will suddenly throw the player off the edge of some rooftop somewhere and the random level design further worsens this matter (a fault that is covered in a future paragraph).

Graphically, the game is mediocre at best; wonderful polygon models are marred by a blinding shine effect that is cast over the buildings and they glow like mirrors – it is the retina-shattering consequence of this that will throw the player off the edge (hence the game’s initially confusing title – see the words written in bold if you don’t get my drift), and the overall overactivity of the lighting engine (although publisher EA Games stress that it is the most advanced in the business) makes the game a visually unbearable experience. How can I play something if I can’t even see it correctly? And why have such bland textures in a futuristic city?

Then we come to the actual design itself – and wow. Just… wow; HOW they can release such a badly made game as this and charge £30, I will never know, but the worst part is that DICE – the development studio responsible for this piece of tripe – are exceedingly anally retentive about the “relaxation” and “harmonious vibe” that the decidedly boring levels give off and fail to hit on one key issue: games are for EXCITEMENT AND INVIGORATION, not for the purpose of lulling the player to sleep. What little action that remains is an all-combat fist-fest. Now, I don’t mind the occasional fighting segment when it is well-designed and has cool set-pieces, but Mirror’s Edge shoots itself in the foot at the first sign of any Cops by asking those at the controls to get to grips with the inane battle mechanics within a split second. This is a daunting task by any standards, but the wacky button layout and near-impossible combo moves will plunge the user nose-first into polygon hell – in mid-combat the game becomes almost unplayable. Any normal human being would cart it back to the trade-in store immediately (although, a person would have to be out of their head to consider buying even a cheap-ass second-hand copy of Mirror’s Edge, especially after reading this review – woe betide anyone who does).

Having said all of that, there is one good point about this game: on the Internet there is a free spin-off named Mirror’s Edge 2D and does – as the title clearly states – run in a side-scrolling 2-Dimensional perspective. This fixes all camera, collision detection and lighting glitches presented in its 3D big brother and actually makes the game fun to play, which brings about the fundamental question: why would one waste £30 on rubbish when there is something better for free online? If EA thinks that a game sells on originality alone, then they are sorely mistaken… and are set to learn the hard way. This game is destined to flop nastily, leaving the companies responsible with a tainted portfolio and a heap of cash-sapping losses to boot.

Personally, I think that Mirror's Edge is a disgraceful mess with no charm, broken gameplay and misused innovations, but what do you think of it? Was it the work of total genius that the demo suggests it should be, do your opinions reflect mine, or are you the IGN-esque middle man? Do tell!

Edited by Extaticus
  • Bad Quality Post 7

Oh, how wrong and misguided you are.

I think your trouble stems from the fact that you've obviously played Mirror's Edge on some sort of console. Blatant school boy error. First Person Shooters shouldn't be played using a controller. Ever.

My first experience playing Mirror's Edge was on JezMM's EggsBox. I spent pretty much all day playing it, that's how hooked I was. Hooked, but terrible. I was embarrassed at my lack of skill with Mirror's Edge. FPS is my genre of choice and I was failing constantly, persistently falling off edges, only to respawn and fall off again in the exact same place. I'm not particularly good with a controller at the best of times, and it was even worse for a genre not designed for use with controllers. My general hamhandedness did detract from the fun, but watching my futile attempts to provide some lulz for those around me.

Then I acquired the PC version.

Good. God.

Every gameplay issue apparent on the EggsBox immediately disappeared as soon as could control Faith with a mouse and keyboard. The combat became easy (so I turned off the reticule) and navigation became much simpler (so away went runner's vision). The graphics are also some of the best to be seen this year, especially when seen in delicious 1600x1200 resolution and full Anti-Aliasing. OM FUCKING NOM NOM.

TL;DR

To actually enjoy Mirror's Edge, play the PC version.

Scratch that.

To enjoy ANY game, play the PC version.

Edited by Pooshoes?
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I'm going to hope you're trolling here because if not... wow, just wow. Mirror's Edge, while not without its flaws, was next to MGS4 perhaps the best game out of 08 for me. I'm not going to go into details because nobody wants another un-paragraphed wall of text from me but seriously, how can you complain the game was £40 when SEGA sold Unleashed, 06 and ShTH for the same price, madness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Those of who own Crysis Killer PCs are few. (I own one, but I'm on a college laptop) I just picked up Mirror's Edge for the 360 and while the controls would be superior on a PC, the 360 and PS3 pad works fine with the sensitivity turned up a bit. Most of us adept at using a controller won't run into roadblocks. Though I do wish I had my killer PC to play it on...

Now on to Extaticus:

MY OPINION: There is a good reason why platform games never adopt a first person view; the tedious ledge-jumping sessions in Halo spoiled an otherwise brilliant game and the physics-based bouncing skits presented in Half-Life were equally awful.

So what you are saying is that you suck at FPSs. Where in Halo did you even have a "jump session?"

Graphically, the game is mediocre at best; wonderful polygon models are marred by a blinding shine effect that is cast over the buildings and they glow like mirrors – it is the retina-shattering consequence of this that will throw the player off the edge

I stopped reading here. I'm sorry, I'm just going to post this, but I was going to pick you apart, but it isn't worth it.

Edited by The Engineer
  • Thumbs Up 1

MY OPINION: There is a good reason why platform games never adopt a first person view

Since when is Mirrors edge a platforming title? Surely it's a racing game? You race from one end of the level to the other in the fastest time possible, all the time trying not to die, and they even manage to throw in a story along the way. If it was truely a platforming title as you say then you would be looking at a totally different game mechanic, combat would be much more in the frame, alas, the idea is that you try to avoid combat when possible. Just watch and of the top speed runs and you'll see that theres barely 5 points where combat is an absolute must.

there is a constant and frustrating feeling that the camera will suddenly throw the player off the edge of some rooftop somewhere and the random level design further worsens this matter (a fault that is covered in a future paragraph).

It will? What stage? Which part? This never once happened to me at all.

games are for EXCITEMENT AND INVIGORATION, not for the purpose of lulling the player to sleep.

You must really hate games like Sim City then? But I do not understand how you find no excitement in Mirrors Edge, as I said earlier, it's a racing game with people shooting at you and big jumps to land and master perfectly. If you are doing things like the time trials especially, it's a pretty intense experience.

What little action that remains is an all-combat fist-fest. Now, I don’t mind the occasional fighting segment when it is well-designed and has cool set-pieces, but Mirror’s Edge shoots itself in the foot at the first sign of any Cops by asking those at the controls to get to grips with the inane battle mechanics within a split second. This is a daunting task by any standards, but the wacky button layout and near-impossible combo moves will plunge the user nose-first into polygon hell – in mid-combat the game becomes almost unplayable.

What part of the combos did you find hard... theres only about 3 and they're all about 3 buttons in length. Not to mention... the very first level, the training level... do they or do they not repeatedly say "Try to avoid fighting" and does it not constantly remind you in the loading screens, avoid combat when possible? The idea is you avoid fighting, the only places that come to mind when fighting is a must are during the final snipping section (to snipe the petrol can, even then I can do it fine without shooting it.) disarming the first sniper when you try to infiltrate the building with the wolf logo on it.

Any normal human being would cart it back to the trade-in store immediately (although, a person would have to be out of their head to consider buying even a cheap-ass second-hand copy of Mirror’s Edge, especially after reading this review – woe betide anyone who does).

Your review constantly makes reference to Halo and other first person shooters, platform genres and tarnishes the game for not being exciting like a platform game. But if thats your complaint... why did you buy it? It's so clearly not either of those things, it's a racing game, you're not supposed to stop and fight every enemy, you're not supposed to play it as you would a typical side scrolling game, you're supposed to get from one end to the other in the quickest time possible. The game itself makes this clear more than one, during the loading screens it tells you that if you have to fight use the disarm move and not fight the enemy, fighting will kill you very quickly.

This game is destined to flop nastily, leaving the companies responsible with a tainted portfolio and a heap of cash-sapping losses to boot.

This line is a rather curious one... how come you began the post openly stating that theres a sequel on the way and therefore know how well it did at the game box office and how much of a fanbase it has, yet you then claim the original is destined to flop? Does the fact that there is a sequel prove your prediction totally incorrect and that most of the argument is either old or invalied as there has to be a demand for it as EA is a company that tends to only give sequels to high sellers?

I loved Mirrors Edge. No I havn't played it again since completing it lol. I do however think the PC version is most likely much better, because its an FPS.

The only thing that I thought that was truly missing was the replay value and that's it, sure it has other thing that should been improved like the lack of colors/life and better level design but that's probably the only complaints that I can come up with.

Edited by Tailer

To enjoy ANY game, play the PC version.

God, why does everyone say "ZOMG PC VERSION IS BETTER THAN CONSOLE VERSION!" Plus, I thought Mirror's Edge was only on 360 and PS3.

Anyway, I have the 360 version, and I see absolutely no problems with it at all. I think it's just fine. But like I said, why does everyone have to say the PC version is better than everything? What's wrong with the console versions?

The entire opening post is filled with over-exaggerated nonsense.

I think you just don't like it cause you're bad at it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

why does everyone have to say the PC version is better than everything?

Because more often than not the PC versions of games provide a superior playing experiences.

It's just one of those things...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

God, why does everyone say "ZOMG PC VERSION IS BETTER THAN CONSOLE VERSION!"

Because they usually are, though not always; and not always for the same reasons even when they are; and usually not to the extent where the console version isn't worth playing.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

God, why does everyone say "ZOMG PC VERSION IS BETTER THAN CONSOLE VERSION!" Plus, I thought Mirror's Edge was only on 360 and PS3.

Anyway, I have the 360 version, and I see absolutely no problems with it at all. I think it's just fine. But like I said, why does everyone have to say the PC version is better than everything? What's wrong with the console versions?

It really depends on the power of your PC; I have a piece of shite that sits beside my desk and loses half my data every two weeks. Of course, that is always the way with computers; they are usually outdated within a few days of release by some other lump of crap which is marginally better (I'll now disclose the fact that my computer is 5 years old, has ceased to run DirectX and has a virtually incontinent RAM). It's amazing what people will buy - I'm surprised that the home computer business still thrives today, especially seeing as we could potentially be running Windows (or even Linux) on a slightly modified version of an XBox 360 or PS3.

In addition, I also put it down to what type of gaming that you enjoy; obviously the FPS genre is more suited to a desktop PC, due to the keyboard and mouse layout, but 2D platformers are always better with a joypad - and a decent one at that; not just a lame PlayStation rip-off. Having owned a Dreamcast and no other console for the majority of my life, I never really picked up on any type of first-person game until my brother bought TimeSplitters 2 on the GameCube... and even then I spent more time on the Snake-esque "Anaconda" mini-game than on the actual shooting elements - I generally found it annoying and awkward to control a game with two joysticks rather than the traditional method of single-stick manoeuvring.

In general, I find it easier to play on a console rather than a PC due to the keyboard/ set-up incorporated in the latter, but as they say: "to each his own."

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

It's amazing what people will buy - I'm surprised that the home computer business still thrives today, especially seeing as we could potentially be running Windows (or even Linux) on a slightly modified version of an XBox 360 or PS3.

Ha ha ha. Enjoy your 20 minute load times for wordpad.

Also only a fraction of PC buyers actually use them for anything more complex than solitare.

Edited by That Crazy Bat Guy
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm surprised that the home computer business still thrives today, especially seeing as we could potentially be running Windows (or even Linux) on a slightly modified version of an XBox 360 or PS3.

You got that the wrong way round. The only reason consoles like the 360 and PS3 can exist is because of a thriving PC market.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You got that the wrong way round. The only reason consoles like the 360 and PS3 can exist is because of a thriving PC market.

Wouldn't have anything to do with the online playing facet. Of course, everyone knows Halo 2's multiplayer was co-dependant on Solitare....

Console game sales are up higher than PC game sales. There is only a preference on which games play better on colsole or PC. You're wording doesn't sound like fact, you sound like just about every other arrogant PC ass-tard out there who thinks PCs are the king shit. Not saying PCs are ass compared to consoles, just the way you word it almost certainly gives PC gamers a bad name.

Why does everyone say mirrors edge is a FPS? Yes you get a gun and you CAN use it but, most of the game is just well jumping and running for one point to another point. It's more of a racing platforming game than FPS.

Graphically, the game is mediocre at best; wonderful polygon models are marred by a blinding shine effect that is cast over the buildings and they glow like mirrors – it is the retina-shattering consequence of this that will throw the player off the edge

So basically you say (for instance) GTA4 looks better than this? GTA looked like ps2 crap while this game... was not only one of the best looking games of the year, it was (to me) one of the best. My only problem with the game was that it was too short and multi player would have done wonders to the game.

But like you said "my opinion" soo I'm done bashing this area.

• Thumbs Up 3

Personally, I think that Mirror's Edge is a disgraceful mess with no charm

Ok, I didn't bother with the wall of text bullshit everyone here loves to do, but first off Mirror's Edge is not a disgraceful mess. I sucked to high heavens in this game but I continued on throughout the storyline, and when you get to those chase sequences later in the game your heart begins to race. It took my breath away at how fast I had to think to get away from them.

Level design is not a problem, I can get through the levels quite easily after practicing, the thing is you need to think fast, situations you think are impossible turn out to be the most simplistic thing ever.

It's not without it's flaws but to write it off as a disgrace is just plain stupid, you want a disgrace, how's about a gaming company that releases an alpha game at the full price of $59.99 to consumers and then try to come up with some bullshit excuse that they were rushed.

Call me an insane person, but I bought this game for $17.99 used and I look forward to the sequel.

Edited by silencer226
  • Thumbs Up 5

Console game sales are up higher than PC game sales. There is only a preference on which games play better on colsole or PC. You're wording doesn't sound like fact, you sound like just about every other arrogant PC ass-tard out there who thinks PCs are the king shit. Not saying PCs are ass compared to consoles, just the way you word it almost certainly gives PC gamers a bad name.

Who said anything about games? Try actually reading what I wrote.

How do you think companies like Microsoft and Sony source the components for their consoles? The only reason the current generation of consoles are as powerful as they is because of advances made in the home computing market.

Also, calling a PC gamer arrogant is futile. So don't bother.

The entire opening post is filled with over-exaggerated nonsense.

I think you just don't like it cause you're bad at it.

What over-exaggerated nonsense? I only see a fair, honest review... which you obviously didn't read to the end of; I did ask for an opinion, and all you did was complain about mine using two sentences and a tautology. I'd love to know what you thought of Mirror's Edge, though...

And I'm not too bad at the game; I wrote a review, and as an unbreakable rule I always complete a game before I review it (which is why I'll never review Last Hope, Dux or Ikaruga). Obviously, I'm not the absolute expert - the game simply isn't worth that much attention - but that doesn't stop me from being reasonably decent at it.

Think before you judge me.

• Bad Quality Post 1

What over-exaggerated nonsense? I only see a fair, honest review... which you obviously didn't read to the end of; I did ask for an opinion, and all you did was complain about mine using two sentences and a tautology.

I however did read to the end of the review, and I even replied in kind to the review... and one point that I picked up on that you exaggerated was the following...

there is a constant and frustrating feeling that the camera will suddenly throw the player off the edge of some rooftop somewhere and the random level design further worsens this matter (a fault that is covered in a future paragraph).

To which I replied...

It will? What stage? Which part? This never once happened to me at all.

Your review makes lots of claims and statements, but contains utterly no examples or cases of when this occurs, by your review you incite that the entire game is like that, hence why you are getting calls of exaggarations.

Edited by Casanova

Well since you're so intrigued as to my opinion of the game, I'll tell you. I thought it was a perfectly fine game. A lot different than other first person experiences that we've come to expect from game companies.

The initial problem with your post is that you're comparing it to other games that you can't even compare it to. Mirror's Edge isn't like Half-Life, Mirror's Edge isn't like Halo and Mirror's Edge isn't like Metroid Prime. It's not like any of those games for various reasons. I can't help but think you're over-exaggerating when you say things like the camera will 'suddenly throw the player off the edge of some rooftop'. I'm sorry, what? The only way I can see that happening is if you yourself ran off, missed a jump, etc.

When you mention that the textures are 'bland', I can't help but think you missed the whole idea behind the way the city looks. It's a utopian city where all crime has been virtually wiped out. It's absurdly clean and lacking of color, part of what makes the distinct red color change of certain objects so important gameplay wise.

As a traceur in training, I thought the game was incredible. People who play it as a shooter are morons. The whole point is to avoid combat at all times, only fight when you absolutely must. Even then, Faith can't take out hordes of enemies. The only problem I can see with the game is that it's easy to get lost and you aren't sure where exactly do you need to go because every obstacle Faith can use is colored red. It doesn't direct you anywhere. Otherthan that, the game just needs to be longer and more varied. I will also like to add that everything Faith does in the game is do-able. Yes, even the Horizontal Wall Run, L-jump, Wall Run combo.

Personally I think I had my expectations and hopes on this game put way too high.

At best it's a fair game. Astounding visuals and an innovative concept. It was fun for speedruns, time trials and generally to work out with free-form controls. The gameplay mechanics were damn solid and fluid.

On the negative side I found the story completely uninteresting. The dialogue was almost half of the time incomprehensible and I didn't catch anything. All I know is that there's some bad guys that shot the president candidate, Faith's sister is in trouble, people die, someone's after the runners, shit happens. That's really all there is to it, there's no closure what-so-ever, and while I really didn't mind the animated flash cutscenes like most people did since I'm a sucker for 2D animations, they could have been done far better with them.

The shortness of the game isn't what I find a flaw that degrades this game but here it's more like something that generally proves length doesn't work with a game built up with that kind of structure. With a limited mechanic, somewhat same-y levels and a slight feel of repetivity, it feels kinda like something I'd expect from a DLC title which is why I was happy that I bought it on sale for $15. Had I bought it on release I'd probably have to strangle myself and hand it back in for a refund, which I eventually did with my copy anyway but got more money for it in another store.

The game is really a love it or hate it affair. It was fun the first go through. As said, impressive visuals keep one interested, innovative and great engine that blows you away for the first playthrough, and the soundtrack is astounding. I listen to it on my iPod to this day.

What I find the biggest problem with the game is it's linearity. Having a game like Mirror's Edge that's all about the parkour, one can expect bigger paths to follow and not just one straight and set line. I just gazed about on the first level for the longest while and looked at all them buildings and possibilities only to realize they're just eye-candy, much similar to Bionic Commando where you have something which could turn into your giganto playground but it's ruined by the fact that it's practically a linear corridor with death instead of walls (yeah, Yahtzee quote, but it's the most appropriate), thus making it by and large a speed-run game once finished. For me there's nothing really to come back to. The achievements are good though.

I ofcourse understand that they didn't go through that alot with the first game in the series what with it being a full experiment and all, but they should really have multiple path choices and a vaster area for Mirror's Edge 2. Now that they've got a perfect engine, mechanic and visual style going on, they can really take this places. So even though the first Mirror's Edge is an enjoyable, yet massive disappointment for me, I remain optimistic for what Mirror's Edge 2 may deliver if they build upon what was good about the first game.

Edited by Oni-Tan
  • Thumbs Up 1

The initial problem with your post is that you're comparing it to other games that you can't even compare it to. Mirror's Edge isn't like Half-Life, Mirror's Edge isn't like Halo and Mirror's Edge isn't like Metroid Prime. It's not like any of those games for various reasons. I can't help but think you're over-exaggerating when you say things like the camera will 'suddenly throw the player off the edge of some rooftop'. I'm sorry, what? The only way I can see that happening is if you yourself ran off, missed a jump, etc.

When you mention that the textures are 'bland', I can't help but think you missed the whole idea behind the way the city looks. It's a utopian city where all crime has been virtually wiped out. It's absurdly clean and lacking of color, part of what makes the distinct red color change of certain objects so important gameplay wise.

For the record, I was not comparing it with Halo or Half-Life; I was merely reminding the audience of how first-person games had handled platforming elements in the past, and I never said anything about Metroid Prime...

And 90% of the time, my jumps were missed due to idiotic collision detection errors; I was left watching in horror as red pipes whizzed past Faith's nose, left screaming in horror as the grab function failed TIME AND TIME AGAIN, and left gasping in horror at the fact that I could only see in front of me - to fully take in my surroundings requires huge breaks in the flow to look around with a supremely flawed camera, and risk being shot by villains with 100 times more fire power than me...

Of course, the collision detection gripes don't end there; on a few stages, I had to continuously run into KNEE-HIGH walls for at least 5 seconds each, as the game refused to register the fact that I wanted to jump over the fucking things. I could go on further, but I'll assume that you get the point already...

As for the colour scheme, I think that a completely multicoloured city with neon glow effects around important objects would have been better - or it would have at least HELD MY INTEREST, rather than boring me witless with monochromatic monotony.

Edited by Extaticus

And 90% of the time, my jumps were missed due to idiotic collision detection errors; I was left watching in horror as red pipes whizzed past Faith's nose, left screaming in horror as the grab function failed TIME AND TIME AGAIN, and left gasping in horror at the fact that I could only see in front of me - to fully take in my surroundings requires huge breaks in the flow to look around with a supremely flawed camera, and risk being shot by villains with 100 times more fire power than me...

Of course, the collision detection gripes don't end there; on a few stages, I had to continuously run into KNEE-HIGH walls for at least 5 seconds each, as the game refused to register the fact that I wanted to jump over the fucking things. I could go on further, but I'll assume that you get the point already...

As for the colour scheme, I think that a completely multicoloured city with neon glow effects around important objects would have been better - or it would have at least HELD MY INTEREST, rather than boring me witless with monochromatic monotony.

lolololololololololloll

That's the best I can put it. Mirrors Edge is probably a shining example of good collision detection. You want to look at Sonic '06 for the bad. Everything you say such as the "game not registering a jump" or "failing to grab" is just examples of what happens when you suck at the game. Tapping the jump button allows you to vault over stuff so you can't wait "5 seconds" unless you either don't have fingers or you blow. Also, part of the game is figuring out how to get from A to B in a non regular fashion, adding a puzzle element. If you ever get stuck most of the time you can press the B button (square on the PS3) to snap the camera to the direction you want to go.

Also, Mirrors Edge is one of the most bright and colorful games of this generation. You obviously don't get the whole point of the sterile like environment as a representation of how the city has handed crime.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1