Jump to content
Awoo.
"I'm the Coolest." Shadow is back at TSS. Check out 'All of Angst' in the Theme Select!

Should Sticks join the Modern universe?


Speedi [ スピヂ ]
 Share

Recommended Posts

Salamander

I don't see why not, really; Sticks is relatively easy to drop in to probably any Sonic canon.  Granted, I don't know what the games would do with her, given what they are now (then again, who even knows what the games are right now?); but I'm sure the comics could find ways of doing something interesting with her.  It's useful for a more narrative format to have a lot of characters available in the toybox for whatever situation they might come up with.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind but she'd definitely need to become WAY less one-note as a character.  There were moments of this in Boom but they rarely lasted.

To be honest though, more than anything, the modern cast is so bloated as it is, and after how they dropped Zavok into TSR and the Wisps into Lost World/Forces without any real explanation (outside of a now delisted mobile spin-off), I wouldn't want them to add Sticks to the modern canon because I'm absolutely sure there'd be a 50% chance that they'd just throw her in and act like Sonic already knows her or something.  And then in 5 years time when asked about it at a convention they'll say "I dunno she came through a gate or something".

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DabigRG
1 hour ago, JezMM said:

I wouldn't mind but she'd definitely need to become WAY less one-note as a character.  There were moments of this in Boom but they rarely lasted.

To be honest though, more than anything, the modern cast is so bloated as it is, and after how they dropped Zavok into TSR and the Wisps into Lost World/Forces without any real explanation (outside of a now delisted mobile spin-off), I wouldn't want them to add Sticks to the modern canon because I'm absolutely sure there'd be a 50% chance that they'd just throw her in and act like Sonic already knows her or something.  And then in 5 years time when asked about it at a convention they'll say "I dunno she came through a gate or something".

They should really just play out the first meeting that was mentioned, but never really shown about Amy coming across her in the jungle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly they should drop her conspiracy theorist traits (and use a less scratchy voice). I mean her "living in nature survivalist" tendencies means she would likely run into Eggman once he starts destroying the area she lives in for his latest scheme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Her paranoia's one of her defining traits, though. Removing it would essentially be ripping half her personality out.

I feel Sticks has a solid foundation to work with should they ever decide to reintroduce her to the series. They may need to recontextualize some elements to fit her into the main universe, but I doubt they'd need to change anything fundamental about her.

 

...Though come to think of it, there already is a place where Sticks appears alongside the main series versions of the cast: the 25th anniversary comics. She appears in Espio's comic, her own comic, and the final comic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DabigRG
8 hours ago, ryu238 said:

Honestly they should drop her conspiracy theorist traits (and use a less scratchy voice). I mean her "living in nature survivalist" tendencies means she would likely run into Eggman once he starts destroying the area she lives in for his latest scheme.

 

4 hours ago, Domino said:

Her paranoia's one of her defining traits, though. Removing it would essentially be ripping half her personality out.

I feel Sticks has a solid foundation to work with should they ever decide to reintroduce her to the series. They may need to recontextualize some elements to fit her into the main universe, but I doubt they'd need to change anything fundamental about her.

 

...Though come to think of it, there already is a place where Sticks appears alongside the main series versions of the cast: the 25th anniversary comics. She appears in Espio's comic, her own comic, and the final comic.

The paranoia itself is fine: she grew up in the wilderness presumably on her at a young age and one episode makes it clear that she had to deal with and survive aspects of Eggman's conquest as well, which fits perfectly in the series and justifies her hatred of technology.

It's the explicit ravings about the government that would have to be heavily toned down if not removed, since it was more of insert by Freiburger and she has little reason to be as up in arms about that when GUN isn't something she'd have to deal with. 

  • Too Many Rings 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vector Reeves

I’d like to see her back in some form. She was probably one of the few characters (probably the only) from a tv series that I actually liked. She was different and had a colorful personality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SatAMhog

As part of more Sonic Boom material, yes.  As part of the main universe, no.  She's a parody character made exclusively for Sonic BOOM and is connected to that universe.  Heck, the only story where she does come into the main (comic) universe as part of the Sonic/Mega Man crossover done by Archie, she stood out like a sore thumb compared to the other characters and not in the best way, I may add.  Ian's a good writer but not even he could make her fit within the standard universe where everything is played a little more straight.  I mean, could you see Sticks having a role in "The Metal Virus" saga?  Yeah, no.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DabigRG
9 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

As part of more Sonic Boom material, yes.  As part of the main universe, no.  She's a parody character made exclusively for Sonic BOOM and is connected to that universe.  Heck, the only story where she does come into the main (comic) universe as part of the Sonic/Mega Man crossover done by Archie, she stood out like a sore thumb compared to the other characters and not in the best way, I may add.  Ian's a good writer but not even he could make her fit within the standard universe where everything is played a little more straight.

Actually, I seem to recall he intentionally played up her kookiness to make her standout as the comedy character among the other action and adventure types. That and both Comedy & Fastidious were never super quirky characters in comparison.

9 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

  I mean, could you see Sticks having a role in "The Metal Virus" saga?  Yeah, no.  

That's actually what was gonna happen at one point, apparently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kaotic Kanine
11 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

I mean, could you see Sticks having a role in "The Metal Virus" saga?  Yeah, no.  

I mean, I didn't think Cream was going to have a fairly significant role in the Metal Virus Saga, but Ian made it work lol

And with that, I think Sticks can work in the Modern universe. I think she could serve as an analogue to Knuckles, as Amy is to Sonic and Cream to Tails. But whereas Knuckles is (relatively) level-headed and gullible, Sticks is more irrational and suspicious: which makes her a neat foil to the down-to-earth and trusting Cream, and allows Amy to serve as the balance between the two. That is assuming Sticks would become a member of Team Rose on her inclusion, which I'd honestly welcome. I like Big, but I always felt he looked misplaced in what was a dedicated girl team... 

Although I can agree that Sticks could use some retooling to properly work in the Modern universe. Her conspiracy theorist stuff worked fine in Boom, but for Modern... I personally think Sticks would be better if her "Wild Child" aspect was the bigger focus. Have her be the Tarzan of the Sonic cast, making up for her lack of superpowers or "magic" by putting her jungle survival skills to extremely good use. Maybe even have Sticks be a contrast from Tails, a prodigy of computer and vehicle technology, by being a master of Bamboo Technology.

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Styx_Linoone
On 4/27/2021 at 2:50 AM, Kaotic Kanine said:

And with that, I think Sticks can work in the Modern universe. I think she could serve as an analogue to Knuckles, as Amy is to Sonic and Cream to Tails. But whereas Knuckles is (relatively) level-headed and gullible, Sticks is more irrational and suspicious: which makes her a neat foil to the down-to-earth and trusting Cream, and allows Amy to serve as the balance between the two. That is assuming Sticks would become a member of Team Rose on her inclusion, which I'd honestly welcome. I like Big, but I always felt he looked misplaced in what was a dedicated girl team... 

Ah yes, always would imagine Sticks as an alternative Power character for Team Rose judging by her arsenal of weaponry that could be put to good use in the comics or games.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snowikaris
On 4/25/2021 at 2:31 PM, JezMM said:

I wouldn't mind but she'd definitely need to become WAY less one-note as a character.  There were moments of this in Boom but they rarely lasted.

To be honest though, more than anything, the modern cast is so bloated as it is, and after how they dropped Zavok into TSR and the Wisps into Lost World/Forces without any real explanation (outside of a now delisted mobile spin-off), I wouldn't want them to add Sticks to the modern canon because I'm absolutely sure there'd be a 50% chance that they'd just throw her in and act like Sonic already knows her or something.  And then in 5 years time when asked about it at a convention they'll say "I dunno she came through a gate or something".

The explanation about the Wisps was restated in IDW. But the games themselves seem to contradict it, by showing them trapped in pods, showing them outside of Sonic’s world...

 

Zavok still hasn’t explained how he survived that fall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DabigRG
3 hours ago, Snowragnarok said:

The explanation about the Wisps was restated in IDW. But the games themselves seem to contradict it, by showing them trapped in pods, showing them outside of Sonic’s world...

The comic also explained that the pods are more for the Resistance's convenience, since they clearly just leave once Sonic Team inspires them.

3 hours ago, Snowragnarok said:

Zavok still hasn’t explained how he survived that fall.

I mean, we once see Zomom leap over the horizon in a single bound and the 3ds version has the other Zeti alongside Zor & Zik flat out fly, so...

Edit: Actually, what am I talking about--Sonic literally kicks him off of the Dragoon mech and he's just like, see ya next fall rat!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Red Hot Jack

 

Now this is just a mobile update after 4-5 years. But it does make me doubt Boom is 100% dead.

I wonder, I always like to speculate but what if 

 

Spoiler

Boom is part of the multiverse in Sonic Prime? It's the only thing I can think of if they were to keep Boom somwhat alive. But yeah too early to assume stuff.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see Sticks becoming friend with Big the Cat, live in the jungle with him, and annoy him all the time when he wants to relax. Not to mention that both characters are designed for comedy, and both have hunt tools (fishing rod, boomerang) if they find a third member (maybe a fly type?) they can even make a new team, Team Wild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Styx_Linoone
1 hour ago, Iko said:

I can see Sticks becoming friend with Big the Cat, live in the jungle with him, and annoy him all the time when he wants to relax. Not to mention that both characters are designed for comedy, and both have hunt tools (fishing rod, boomerang) if they find a third member (maybe a fly type?) they can even make a new team, Team Wild.

Wasn't there already a Team Wild in Sonic Runners, with Tikal and Werehog Sonic both within the team as Sticks lead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jack-al said:

 

Now this is just a mobile update after 4-5 years. But it does make me doubt Boom is 100% dead.

I wonder, I always like to speculate but what if 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Boom is part of the multiverse in Sonic Prime? It's the only thing I can think of if they were to keep Boom somwhat alive. But yeah too early to assume stuff.

 

I'm not going to look too far into it. I hope Boom isn't fully dead and we could get Season 3 or a new show in that continuity but also like the complete first season is on Blu-ray  and season 2 volume 1 is on DVD today so I'm gonna just assume it's a tie-in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Styx_Linoone said:

Wasn't there already a Team Wild in Sonic Runners, with Tikal and Werehog Sonic both within the team as Sticks lead?

Didn't know, I didn't play Sonic Runners. So it partially already happend... interesting! Though with Big the Cat replacing the Werehog would make more sense, since the Werehog is still Sonic.

Team Rose could replace Big with someone like Tangle I don't know, I think there is some potential in a Team Wild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blue Blood
5 hours ago, Styx_Linoone said:

Wasn't there already a Team Wild in Sonic Runners, with Tikal and Werehog Sonic both within the team as Sticks lead?

They weren't really teams in Runners. Functionally they were like heroes sure, but they were just groups of characters who shared the same stat bonuses. Team Wild was the Werehog, Tikal and Sticks. They steamy involved in any story content or even in an event story, and there was no "leader" in any team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr. Detective Mike

I'd gladly say yes to including more villains. I've no desire to see even more heroes joining the cast unless they were explicitly just supposed to be NPCs important for a story-beat or the world building of a location. Paulie can't be a Straw Hat but he's important to the story of Water Seven.

That's why I tend to be more open to the idea of including the Eggman's Dozen, or Scourge, or Finitevus. 

Maybe Sticks in the main series can be a villain. I dunno.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Salamander
On 5/5/2021 at 12:42 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Maybe Sticks in the main series can be a villain. I dunno.

That's honestly a fascinating idea.  Somewhat goes against the usual nature versus technology theme (in the sense that nature is usually the good guys' side), but perhaps she could represent those conspiracy theorists whose paradoxical credulousness results in them becoming pawns of genuinely corrupt and insidious powers.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr. Ion

I think she should join the main cast. I think she was already in the Mario and Sonic Olympic Games in 2016? And she would also be good in rounding out a team of Silver and Blaze, as oftentimes with games like TSR it's a no brainer to pair Blaze and Silver but it's difficult to find someone fitting to be that third member. I would've been fine with Vector joining those two in TSR if there were more interesting character interactions, but as is, I would've rather he stayed with the Chaotix. But that's besides the point. As other people have mentioned in this thread, they could emphasize her personality from the boom tv show and I think it would be solid. I don't think she should be in every game and have lines all the time, but when it's fitting, why not include her. I think the size of Sonic's cast is fine, but with the current writing I don't have too many aspirations for any of those characters anyway. TL;DR: yes Sticks should join the main cast but not all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

pathospades

This should've been a poll so I can at least gauge her likeability.

 

Meh, I'm neutral on it. If her gameplay's great then yeah. If not, meh. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sonario

She was already inexplicably inserted into Rio 2016, sure why not.

Actually speaking though, a change of design and role might be more fitting if she was put into the modernverse. While Boom Sticks got along perfectly fine as part of Boom  Team Sonic, I'd say Modern Sitcks should be more of a side character doing her own thing instead of part of the main gang. If anything, she'd probably get along better with the Chaotix with her curiousity and paranoia tying into their detective work. Maybe make her an explorer or ghost hunter with the look to match or something who believes the ancient dead haven't left the world entirely and wants to find out more. (wouldn't be wrong considering all the ghosts still around)

But speaking of Sticks, I'd be more than up for her modernverse lookalike Marine hte Raccoon making a comeback. Might just be me, but I really liked her excitable energy. I could see Blaze partnering up with her for a new Rush game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.