Sign in to follow this  
Leebo4

Would a combined Sonic and Sega universe work?

It’s an idea I hope they do with the sonic movie but with Sonic as the flagship series of this universe and as an alien coming to earth like in the movie, would this work to have various Sega series like crazy taxi, nights into dreams and streets of rage all the same Earth? Golden axe could be in the past and my main idea for this would be something like the Idw hasbro universe they did with transformers as the flagship series of that universe.

SEGA’s IPs are so wildly different to each other that it would be really hard to create a cohesive, MCU-style universe with them. I’m all for crossovers but I don’t think this is the right way to handle it.

Maybe if they made it like a Kingdom Hearts situation where the different worlds were all different SEGA IPs or something. I could see that happening if they ever went on another space adventure. Might be a good excuse to celebrate a SEGA anniversary but still have it be a Sonic game. 

I guess it's not impossible. Streets of Rage is just dudes beating up other dudes and NIGHTS is in a dream world. 

Granted some work better than others. Not sure where Billy Hatcher, Skies of Arcadia or Super Monkey Ball could fall in a shared universe for example. 

It'd be a wasted effort. Sure, some IPs could slide in easier than others, but the SEGA brand itself is too broad and too different to support an all-inclusive shared universe. Trying to make them all fit together in any meaningful way would only diminish both ends of the spectrum. You'd have to tone down the quirky and outlandish ones, while playing up the others that are more bland - leading to a hodgepodge that checks none of the boxes.

If you want to make a Yakuza movie, then make a Yakuza movie. But don't try to have shirtless Kazuma bare knuckle box his arch-rival atop a burning brothel with the Death Egg looming in the background. Just let it be its own thing. And then, in the third Sonic movie, have some kid in a Kazuma white suit for a Costume Party. Everyone wins.

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It'd be a wasted effort. Sure, some IPs could slide in easier than others, but the SEGA brand itself is too broad and too different to support an all-inclusive shared universe. Trying to make them all fit together in any meaningful way would only diminish both ends of the spectrum. You'd have to tone down the quirky and outlandish ones, while playing up the others that are more bland - leading to a hodgepodge that checks none of the boxes.

If you want to make a Yakuza movie, then make a Yakuza movie. But don't try to have shirtless Kazuma bare knuckle box his arch-rival atop a burning brothel with the Death Egg looming in the background. Just let it be its own thing. And then, in the third Sonic movie, have some kid in a Kazuma white suit for a Costume Party. Everyone wins.

Even Marvel can’t pull it off 100% of the time; see their strange treatment of Patsy Walker in Jessica Jones, not to mention the copyright issues preventing them from using Namor and the Ultraverse cast. So I feel like a more nuanced view of a shared universe is best. 

This is definitely far too contrived to work properly with as varied as the worlds are in SEGA's games. For example, the version of Earth in PSO2 is definitely not the same Earth as in the Sonic games.  And many games explicitly do not take place on our Earth or even in our Galaxy or Universe (Hell, most of the Phantasy Star games have nothing to do with Earth,

Spoiler

PSO2 becomes a literal Isekai in order to involve it

).

I feel like people have this strange obsession with wanting everything they like to be connected together in some way- regardless if it's from the same developer or not- whether it makes sense or not, and I personally don't get it.

It's a cool idea, but I think - as other people have mentioned - that a Kingdom Hearts style approach to it would be the only feasible way of actually pulling it off.

I just can't see the world of Sonic existing in the same reality as House of the Dead, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage and Skies of Arcadia to name but a few.

3 hours ago, Strider_Xhaiden said:

It's a cool idea, but I think - as other people have mentioned - that a Kingdom Hearts style approach to it would be the only feasible way of actually pulling it off.

I just can't see the world of Sonic existing in the same reality as House of the Dead, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage and Skies of Arcadia to name but a few.

Streets of rage and house of dead could work and the others could be on other planets or timelines

2 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Streets of rage and house of dead could work and the others could be on other planets or timelines

If your going to separate the franchises by timelines or dimensions, then you have effectively nullified the point of an Cinematic Universe. If you have to jump through those kind of hoops, then clearly the franchises don't belong on the same playing field.

Furthermore, there would be no difference in jumping between say, Sonic and Phantasy Star vs. jumping from Sonic to the DCEU. Technically, anything can be another "timeline" or "dimension". There is no need to try to make square pegs fit in round holes here.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If your going to separate the franchises by timelines or dimensions, then you have effectively nullified the point of an Cinematic Universe. If you have to jump through those kind of hoops, then clearly the franchises don't belong on the same playing field.

Furthermore, there would be no difference in jumping between say, Sonic and Phantasy Star vs. jumping from Sonic to the DCEU. Technically, anything can be another "timeline" or "dimension". There is no need to try to make square pegs fit in round holes here.

They could just focus on the ones that would fit into sonic like streets of rage and nights into dreams, plus setting golden axe as a far distant prequel

1 hour ago, Leebo4 said:

They could just focus on the ones that would fit into sonic like streets of rage and nights into dreams, plus setting golden axe as a far distant prequel

GA would be an interesting prequel to Puyo Puyo (which Sonic has also had direct interactions with a few times). Vectorman and Sakura Wars might work well too.