Awoo.

Resistance 3

Badnik Mechanic

If you buy this on blu-ray. (June 14th)

You also get the demo for Resistance 3.

It's believed to be the 30 min boat sequence and the town sequence thats been shown previously.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm definitely no big fan of this particular franchise although since the cover art was just revealed I have to say:

5730031449_fdaa6a6133_b.jpg

I absolutely love the cover art. Unique, fresh and more appealing than the usual mass of generically heroic ones we usually get.

I think that box art is amazing.

I've always liked the box art for the Reistance games. The first one was great just because it looks like a classic scene from the first/second world war, then you notice the skull is not human.

The second one is good so long as you got the EU one, it speaks volumes as to the content of the game, then when you see the final scene it all falls into place.

But this one is stunning.

The artist in question actually did some re-imaginings of videogame artwork a while ago, looks like he caught the attention of the right people. Here is a sample of his work, it's really amazing.

The artist has also done a few more variants of this. Again, it looks amazing.

56669.jpg

56671.jpg

56673.jpg

Bold, Striking, Bright Colours, Simplistic Aesthetic.

One of the best Video Game boxarts I've seen.

56669.jpg

This pic here is the best that I've seen. I wish it was the box art.

• 1 month later...

Uh oh....

Someone has spotted this on the side of the Resistance 3 EU PS3 bundle.

resistance76.jpg

That would be a one time use code which will enable online play. Yes folks... Sony is going down project 10 dollar/Online pass road. I guess it was inevitable that eventually it would spread to Sony and eventually every game studio. But what a title to start it off with eh?

Source

Place bets: When will Microsoft announce it's version of this for it's first party titles?

I suppose it is inevitable. Game developers are losing a buttload of money for every second hand sale.....Sadly, I really see no alternative to this method of making up for "lost sales"

Hmmmmm.... So I have to buy brand new? Well maybe if they lower the price a bit for new titles I wouldn't have to keep buying second-hand. <_<

Hmmmmm.... So I have to buy brand new? Well maybe if they lower the price a bit for new titles I wouldn't have to keep buying second-hand. <_<

This whole online pass thing. Unless you really care about multiplayer, most people will try it for a short while and only stick with it until they unlock all the trophies or ingame extras. It's only for games like Cod, battlefield and the big racing titles that people constantly play over andover again.

Now whats odd is that most games which have the online pass applied to it are the titles which sell in the millions. But... these are the titles where theres little point to buy as new.

Put it like this.

When the game Singularity came out, it had an online mode, it required quite a bit of dedication to get all the trophies. Putting aside all the issues that the online has (total lack of support and no online saving of stats), it required the player to use the online a lot. Within a month after that game came out... the online was nearly dead. But a handful of people still needed to play it and still do to get all the online trophies.

Now look at Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops, that game requires very little in order to get all online trophies. Very little at all.

Yet which games is more likely to get a form of online pass? COD all the way right?

And whilst Singularity has a near dead online mode, COD is still going ahead years later.

So buy those games second hand a year or two later, then buy the online pass via the store, chances are it'll still be cheaper than buying as new and you'll still have a huge community to play with. The community for Resistance 2 is still VERY large, it's also still active for the original resistance.

But heres a few other examples of strange online pass offers.

The Saboteur has a form of online pass, buying the game new gets you a dlc code to unlock a secret gambling game and.... strip show.... but it's near pointless. The gambling game is easy and offers you money which you don't really need... the strip shows are completely pointless.

Alice Madness returns: Quite an odd one, the game offers you a free download of the original game American McGee's Alice. It sounds like a very good offer... or is it?

Look at it this way, before madness returns came out, this game was selling for £5 on ebay... £5 max. It's more now as the sequel has increased interest, but most second hand retail stores still offer the game for less than £10/$10.

So what do you get for the extra investment for the new copy? Well... other than the save of some PC memory, 6 new trophies/achievments, worth your extra £10?

With regards to resistance 3, if the trophies are anything like Resistance 2... even if you wait months after the game is released, there will still be a very active community to get them in. I didn't complete all my online trophies for Resistance 2 until nearly a year after the game was released. This game will likely be the same.

This whole online pass thing. Unless you really care about multiplayer, most people will try it for a short while and only stick with it until they unlock all the trophies or ingame extras. It's only for games like Cod, battlefield and the big racing titles that people constantly play over andover again.

Now whats odd is that most games which have the online pass applied to it are the titles which sell in the millions. But... these are the titles where theres little point to buy as new.

Put it like this.

When the game Singularity came out, it had an online mode, it required quite a bit of dedication to get all the trophies. Putting aside all the issues that the online has (total lack of support and no online saving of stats), it required the player to use the online a lot. Within a month after that game came out... the online was nearly dead. But a handful of people still needed to play it and still do to get all the online trophies.

Now look at Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops, that game requires very little in order to get all online trophies. Very little at all.

Yet which games is more likely to get a form of online pass? COD all the way right?

And whilst Singularity has a near dead online mode, COD is still going ahead years later.

So buy those games second hand a year or two later, then buy the online pass via the store, chances are it'll still be cheaper than buying as new and you'll still have a huge community to play with. The community for Resistance 2 is still VERY large, it's also still active for the original resistance.

But heres a few other examples of strange online pass offers.

The Saboteur has a form of online pass, buying the game new gets you a dlc code to unlock a secret gambling game and.... strip show.... but it's near pointless. The gambling game is easy and offers you money which you don't really need... the strip shows are completely pointless.

Alice Madness returns: Quite an odd one, the game offers you a free download of the original game American McGee's Alice. It sounds like a very good offer... or is it?

Look at it this way, before madness returns came out, this game was selling for £5 on ebay... £5 max. It's more now as the sequel has increased interest, but most second hand retail stores still offer the game for less than £10/$10.

So what do you get for the extra investment for the new copy? Well... other than the save of some PC memory, 6 new trophies/achievments, worth your extra £10?

With regards to resistance 3, if the trophies are anything like Resistance 2... even if you wait months after the game is released, there will still be a very active community to get them in. I didn't complete all my online trophies for Resistance 2 until nearly a year after the game was released. This game will likely be the same.

It doesn't bother me too much because I don't play online that much. But stuff like that puts me off sometimes. Sometimes their is so many good titles out that I have buy second hand as a gamer these days I find the market a bit flooded.

That's why I stopped buying The Sims because it felt like a never ending abyss of buying expansion packs to expand the game. I haven't got Sims 3 but how many add-ons are they up to now? I believe the Expansion packs cost £30 now instead of £20.

• 3 weeks later...

10 min of Resistance 3 Multiplayer gameplay, It's a map set in a Welsh mining town.

Same map, different gameplay mode.

Edit: Campers are going to fucking love the holographic projector special...

Edited by Hogfather

• 3 weeks later...

Resistance 3 VIP Preview with Sony Computer Entertainment

On Friday 19th and Saturday 20th August 2011, Sony Computer Entertainment are hosting a FREE VIP preview event for their upcoming Blockbuster Resistance 3!

Drop by anytime during the two days and meet with the Sony and Gamerbase Staff, learn more about the game, and try it out on both Single Player and Multiplayer!

Please note this is an over 18 event only.

For further details, visit http://www.gamerbase.com/?​a=post&id=111384

Never played these Resistance games before but I might go and check out the game as long the riots down town as calm down by then =].

Edited by StockingCroft

Here's the level from the Experience trailer, without the regular trailery interruptions:

There's something about the Resistance games that I don't like one bit (I think it's the gameplay, it feels strange, wrong somehow, and it always feels exactly the same), but at the same time I've enjoyed them more than enough to want to see how it all ends.

That section looks okay I guess, but I can see myself getting a headache playing it. The lighting and atmosphere are excellent, but the gunplay looks like a cut and paste from every other Resistance series battlefield.

Yea Ive had that same feeling and Ive been wondering what it is. It feels like they didnt put much effort into the gameplay or something.

Ok I played beta and I can share few impressions.

ART Style:

I never played R2 but really liked first one (in co-op) and its style. You felt like being inside documentary om how Fall of Mankind began. Here it feels more like Comic book with all those bright colors. I hope singleplayer will be better in this matter.

Multiplayer

As we know both Resistance games had large player ammount in multiplayer. Here we have 16 players. And when I saw word killstreak on screen I quited the game. First 2 games were more teamwork oriented while this one feels more like COD. I dont like this but its a matter of opinion.

We have 2 modes in beta. One is team deadmatch and second one is Chain Reaction. I thought that there can be some tactic in secone one but it really chaotic. In this mode there are 3 control points and 2 major points (1 for each team) when one team captures CP in the middle of the map then they can capture second CP that is near enemy Major Point. After capturing it (note that when team is attacking CP they need to also defend previous point) they attack enemy Major point if they capture it then they win (they can win of opposing team run out of Reinforcments too)

For first look it looks like tactic mode. HELL NO! There is one thing that ruins it- RANDOM RESPAWNS!!! You can plan but everything can be ruined because one player from opposing team can spawn on your back by adcident. I hope this will be fixed in final ver.

Thats all for now.

• 4 months later...

So I just beat the single player mode for Resistance 3, here are my thoughts.

There was a time not very long ago when there was a reason if your character could regain health, in Red Faction 2, your ginetically enhanced, in the original Resistance, you can't regain health until you become infected by the virus (about 15 min into the game). And in Resistance 2, you are already infected so games did indeed have reasons... or they used to... today any old FPS will have regaining health for no reason other than... cos...

Resistance 3 however is very different. You play as a different character for starters, he is a human, he does not have any reason to regain health... so he doesn't. When he takes a hit, you must find a health pack to get your health back, you can wait all day behind that rock, the health aint coming back.

This already makes battles more intense and adds a sense of caution to the player, you can't just run in, you must think through what you'll do.

Weapons all gain XP which eventually increase their firepower or get additional features, e.g. the machine gun gets a bayonett on it, which makes melle easier, other things get a tripple shot which doesn't mean your targets go down faster... but it does mean they may hit a second target. The XP system in the game is also planned out in a way that means you won't be super powered by the time you reach the halfway point, I just beat the game and all my weapons are not yet maxed out.

One should think of this FPS more in line with classic shooters like Half Life 2 or even the original Red Faction, don't write this off as being 'just like Resistance 1/2' because it's not. Even things you could do in the previous games have changed a little, e.g. the Chimera have these 'cooling packs' on their backs, in the first game you could shoot these off, it was hard to do but the effect was cool and it was an additional tactic to try, in Resistance 2 you could almost never do this as the battles were too intense. In Resistance 3 it's much easier to do and there is a degree of tactic to it when you consider the blast damage it causes.

So is Resistance 3 better than the previous 2... better... probably not... different... definately yes.

Resistance 2 was the war movie of the series, big set pieces, big battles, lots of explosions and huge multiplayer. Resistance 1 was the carefully executed horror movie. Resistance 3 tries to bring back the horror and the tension and at times it certainly does it... but it goes the extra step and tries to make you care about... well... everybody...

Early on you enter a house and on the floor is a recently shot old woman just lying there.. an NPC comments on it and you leave, you never see that same womans body again, each time you find a 'body' (which isn't in a soldier uniform) it's different, there is a sense that each body you find was unique and had a story to it, normally theres a clue to who they were and the life they had.

For instance, one of the more disturbing/upsetting sequences comes from when you enter a home and theres a letter on the chair beside a small skelleton and an old skelleton which just reads 'letter to santa' it's quite touching when you read it, especially when the letter ends with 'and please can I have a new green crayon?'

But the problem I had with this is that the emotional 'shocks' come so often and so in your face you get a tad used to it, and you're forgetting that the reason you're on this quest is because you're wife has said 'I don't want to watch our son die' in fact I forgot about it right up until the end of the game during a cut scene when the main character sends a radio message to 'anyone out there.'

It's definately not a bad thing that they're tried to make it a bit more emotional, you do at times care for your character in a manner which isn't just 'I don't want to die on this level' you do want to avenge those that the Chimera have killed.

The story this time is a tad strange compared to the previous two, following the events of the previous game, the human race has made a vaccine against the Chimera virus which works, almost everyone still alive has been given it. However, following the explosion of the flying battleship thing at the end of the game, the human race is loosing the war, the Chimera have not weakened, if anything they've grown stronger. This is made very clear during the first cut scene and during various pieces of intel you find in various stages.

You play as the guy who kills the hero of the first/second game at the end of Resistance 2, he's been dishonorably discharged from the army and is now married with a son, they live in a place called 'haven' which has so far escaped the Chimera death squads, however the scientist from the second game turns up and begs you to come with him to New York, theres something there which is causing the planet to cool down, if they don't destroy it then the human race (whats left of it) will not survive the winter.

Originally you're reluctant to do it, until your wife begs you because your son is sick and he won't survive unless they stop this machine. So off you go.

Now for the rest of the game, the story is kinda lite, you come across various people/towns and are given missions to do in order to get that transport to take you on further, but it's a sub plot and not the main focus of the game, e.g. one sees you trying to find this guy who can fix the train.

And it's like that until you reach the final quarter of the game when theres a dramatic turn of events, which also deepens the world of Resistance at the same time.

It's quite a brave move although for a post-apocalyptic genre, not unheard of. Up until now, everytime you met a human in Resistance, they were good, they might have been bastards, but they wouldn't try and kill you... Resistance 3 changes this, and it's dramatic, you encounter a huge gang of thugs that raid surviving human camps, taking food, medicine and people for entertainment. Their entertainment is gladatorial battles with Chimera, these stages are some of the most intense in the game and it does make you think if there would be other factions of humanity that are not fighting with other humans, they're only out for themselves in this world.

The ending is quite similar to that of Resistance 2. You enter a Chimera 'base/stronghold/flying battleship thing' and then blow it up. Once you do that, the world starts to warm up and the human race is saved! YAY!

Wait... .. .what?

During the ending credits, you see various black and white photos showing New York city being rebuilt, theres large towns and cities, theres even a huge graveyard for fallen heroes, the impression you get is that the human race won the moment Reistance 3 ended... But this is so contradictory to everything the game builds up... e.g. 90% of the population is either dead or Chimera, the Chimera are in control and on the verge of wiping out humanity, they're about to open a wormhole to... what I think is their homeworld... and suddenly... they're almost defeated?

This makes no sense, no matter how hard I try and think about it, how did the Chimera all but die out? They overtook all of Eruope and the United States in Resistance 1 and 2. Yet now they're all dead?

Maybe the answer can be found in the intels which I've yet to find, as it does hint to how they were originally treated, as it suggests that they were on earth during the last ice age and somehow defeated by someone/something. Oddly I found the intels amazingly interesting as it only deepened the Resistance mythology.

If you played the original Resistance theres a lot of nods back to it, the rules created, there are stages which contain ice now, something which Resistance 2 had no evidence of, however it doesn't re-create the same errie sensations that Resistance 1 had, because.... we've seen America destroyed by aliens so many times now, it's not a new thing.

I've not yet played the multiplayer, but I just know it's nothing really groundbreaking, it lacks the epic scale which we saw when they announced 60+ multiplayer battles, with MAG boosting that to over 200 it was always going to be hard to make things as epic, but which is just a copy and paste multiplayer mode, it's something I'll probably never touch.

Co-Op mode does interest me a little and I will be playing it, but I think they should have had a seperate co-op campaign mode like Resistance 2 had, these were really intense and a lot of fun. Why these have not returned I don't know.

Graphics.... ... ... yes! It has them!

Sound.... ... there IS sound!

I do want to say a lot more, but I'm really really tired at the moment.

Is Resistance 3 a good game? Yes it's a very good game, but not 'as good' as the previous versions, it has tried to change the tone and make the series more emotional which does work at times but sometimes it's a bit too forced. The main complaint I've got with it is the story, specifically the ending, it just seems like there should have been a Resistance 4 to explain how the Chimera died out since it's so sudden.

Some people will draw comparisons to Half Life 2 as theres a few similar scenes, the whole giant tower with a beam of light above it, although Reistance 3 does a much better job of explaining why it's a problem than Half Life 2 does... the main comparison will come from what can only be described as 'Ravenholm 2.0' a far more intense and scary town which has taken a lot of influence from the classic stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn!? HF, have you even considered reviewing games for a living?

It's been a long time since I've read a review that I found interesting and entertaining at the same time, while still showing respect for the material your writing about. (no offence to anyone else here that might write reviews. I actually don't read online reviews much)

This is coming from somebody who has never played a Resistance game! I have grown tired of FPS games...but the way you explain this game...has me intrigued. And I'm not just saying that to prove that I've read it. XP

I'd quote it all, but that would make this page even longer. lol

You have my respect good sir...although to be honest, you already did have it. tongue.png

Edited by ファント