Sign in to follow this  
Wraith

New Sonic Games Delayed to 2022

Ehhh I too was fine with the 2016 Sonic Forces trailer. Was a bit miffed when Classic Sonic appeared, but I still wanted to give the game a chance especially if they were aiming to go back to the fun gameplay mechanics of the last good Sonic game, Generations. Of course, that changed when I saw the SXSW clip the following year. Actually no, the Classic Sonic stage is what made me do a double take (and not in a good way!). 

@Ryannumber1gamer Yeah I remember that, when they had Arin and the Completionist travel to Japan and stuff. I think it would’ve made MUCH more sense if they sent SomecallmeJohnny over instead of Arin, but yah I get it. Clout and a bigger audience! Still a strange choice though.

I'm not a fan of CGI teasers, although my issue with those is that usually they don't really say anything about the game they're promoting.

In the case of Forces' reveal trailer, it was able to make it very clear that it was another boost game, and it showed the aesthetics of one stage and Classic Sonic returning. I think that was "okay", although I still would've preferred some bits of gameplay to go along with it.

That said, I think Nintendo has been acing the reveal to release timeframe for the past couple years. They reveal a game, slated for release 2-4 months after the trailer, they show lots of gameplay cause it's almost ready to go and the hype train doesn't crash and burn in the meantime cause it doesn't really have time to.

So, yeah, if the game is meant to be released in 2022, I'd prefer it to be revealed in 2022 IF they have nothing of substance to show yet.

That brings me to another point though. True, we're still in the middle of a pandemic, true, game development takes time, and true, they were *working* on Team Sonic Racing although that was mostly Sumo and yeah they worked on Sakura Wars I don't know to what extent.

But... Forces was done in 2017. There wasn't any substantial update for that game. What exactly have they been doing with Sonic if they don't have anything substantial to say or show about the game?

If the pandemic hit them so hard that they had to delay the game one whole year, it probably means that they started pre-production extremely late, not right after Forces.

Nintendo was able to release some pretty good games last year, which were close to being done and completed during the lockdown timeframe. Let's not forget that 2020 was supposed to be the year of Sonic initially, so, common sense would lead me to think that they were taking their time from 2017 to 2020, that's 3 years, to come up with a polished and well designed product to sell for money.

But the facts lead me to think that they started development in late 2019, had to stop for most of 2020 and so they have literally nothing to show. The cycle begins again, we waited 4 years for Forces but they only worked on it for maybe 2 years if we're lucky. I'm pretty positive it's the same thing again.

This is why I don't like going for so many years without a mainline Sonic game, it never means they've been working on it for the whole time, it's just corporate trying not to oversaturate the market like in the late 2000s, while still giving Sonic Team very tight budgets and dev time, so we just get the same lifeless games just less often. At that point I'd prefer it being a yearly release so at least I can blame the games being mediocre on that (also if you throw a lot of stuff at the wall, something oughta stick at one point, pretty sure there's more than a couple game that each one of us can enjoy from the 2000s, meanwhile if Lost World or Forces weren't your thing, this decade has been kind of worthless for you).

EDIT for tl;dr: if they spent 5 years on actually developing the game and coming up with a new framework and ideas, I would very much appreciate it and wait patiently and eagerly, but that's never the case so I'd prefer yearly releases in the hope that something sticks for me.

I absolutely think that with the radio silence being as bad as it has been, it's better to go big or go home. People are going to expect a lot after waiting so long. A CGI teaser would be the worst possible way to officially announce these games- especially after how people felt lied to after Forces' CGI teaser, which gave a very distinct impression of what to expect, touting things that weren't even very accurate ("Brought to you by the team that brought you Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations" in order to bolster hype and set expectations).

And honestly? The people who WANT an early showing of this game when it's obviously not ready to be publicly shown off have learned nothing from the history of this franchise and its poor choices when it came to early announcements or expectations for timely releases. I would rather have complete radio silence until we can see something significant that represents what we're going to be getting more accurately- than be lied to by marketing.

My thoughts on SEGA finallly revealing their E3 presence and this latest news about new games in 2022: I'm not gonna be that original. I think that we're going to be getting a lot of ports this year instead to fill the gaps and hype up the general public on Sonic.

Technically the 30th anniversary doesn't end until June of next year, so SEGA can get away with keeping the 30th anniversary branding for any 2022 titles until June. And normally I don't think that'd be a good idea since game releases in the first half of the year are not usually best for maximizing sales and attention, but Sonic is in a pretty special situation, what with his movie releasing in April, so there's a good excuse to premiere a new game around the same time.

In fact it's probably beneficial to the new game that they have such a luxurious excuse to push back the thing to 2022. I already was in the belief that a delay would probably happen because of COVID, but the movie just gives SEGA an excuse to push it back to a  profitable timeframe.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree that the whole "SEGA doesn't care about Sonic" is a bit of an exaggeration because if SEGA seriously didn't care about Sonic anymore, then they would have announced by now that they are going to cut off all ties with the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and focus on other games they are making.  

Well, Ubisoft never stated they’d officially abandon Rayman, but yet they did after a few educational games ran their course. The same thing happened with Crash for some time until the successful revival. 

The thing about that is that developers don't typically close doors, they intentionally leave them open. It's just good PR and common sense. You never say "We're done making this thing", because demand for it can come back in full force later and then you end up with a different problem: sticking to your word or riding the coattails of the resurgence in popularity at the risk to the faith and trust the customers have in you- and SEGA has enough problems with that already, so yeah...